Gaming mATX board FINALLY!

Welp more bad news... :eek:

It's looking like Steeeeve (as in [email protected]) isn't going to be able to refund my money for the dead board, per his distributor's 15 day return policy.

This really sucks, as it's 15 days from the day you logged the order, so you're really pressed for time to find out if you got a good board or not when ordering from Steeeeve.

I'll edit this post if he's able to make something work for me (as I'm 2 days over the limit)...

Otherwise I'd have to recommend at this point, that anyone interested in purchasing this board consider buying it from newegg.com as they give 30 days from date of invoice to return (and I know and trust newegg on their returns).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127023

Sorry man, but not really Steve's fault. Hopefully he'll be able to work something out for you though. However, I'd be raising hell with ABit by this point.

- JT

No, not really Steve's fault. (He did update the page today per my suggestion, so you know when you order that it's only a 15 day return for it, so that's good).

But I think folks should be aware, that this is still a fairly flaky product and that they may want to get as much time to test the board as they can, in which case newegg offers twice the time for a potential return.

And start testing the board right when you receive it. (That was my mistake..I was waiting for my Lanbox to put the board in..but there were shipping problems so it took 2 weeks to get). I should have just put the board on the bench and hooked everything up without a case from day 1.

Oh well...consider that my $108.95 post.

Hmm...I wonder if we're on to something.... shutting down via the 4 second power off is not a normal shutdown. Did you happen to check your board for any damage to components? (I wonder if the others that had failed board ever had to do the 4-second to shutdown thing. (I started and shutdwon my I90-hd lots and lots, but this was the first time I had to do the power button for 4 seconds on this board, and that's right before it died)

I dunno, I've power-cycled my F-I90HD plenty of times via the hard power-off without issue.

About the only power-cycle quirk I've found is that my CMOS doesn't typically clear without removing supplied power entirely (either by flipping the PSU switch or unplugging the power cord).

EDIT: Teach me for suspending my laptop in the middle of submitting a post...

No, not really Steve's fault. (He did update the page today per my suggestion, so you know when you order that it's only a 15 day return for it, so that's good).

But I think folks should be aware, that this is still a fairly flaky product and that they may want to get as much time to test the board as they can, in which case newegg offers twice the time for a potential return.

And start testing the board right when you receive it. (That was my mistake..I was waiting for my Lanbox to put the board in..but there were shipping problems so it took 2 weeks to get). I should have just put the board on the bench and hooked everything up without a case from day 1.

Oh well...consider that my $108.95 post.

Newegg will always have a huge advantage over me because they can eat cost pretty easily. I, however, barely break even and on these motherboards I actually only make about $1.50 per board haha. This business is almost to the point of being a hobby.

You do have a unique situation in that my other distributor clearly failed on getting you the product you needed which delayed the testing. For that you have very good reason to be upset. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this and it is a hard thing for me since I don't want to start getting in the habit of losing money on transactions. In reality your transaction has already cost me about $30 bucks which is the fault of ASI (and I stress that it is not yours at all) which once again proves the reseller always get the short end of the stick.

I'll email you possible solutions and I'll talk to Abit to see if possibly I can buy it from you minus the 15% restocking fee and get it repaired by Abit and perhaps someone here will be kind enough to buy it from me :).

Please don't give up on this yet, I truly am working hard on it as you have a different scenario then just wanting to return after 15 days...you really didn't have much of a 15 day period.

I want to stress that I never want to have any customers eat $108 bucks and not be happy...if thats what happens then in the end I lose because people will be get mad and then I'll get mad and it just never ends :p

My board is orthos stable at 2.8ghz at 1.375v
2GB XMS2 DDR667 at 1.90v
Thermaltake Blue Orb II
Vista x32

My only problem is that I am using onboard video, but it can only allocate 256mb. If I try to set it at 512mb, my windows screen gets corrupted and has nasty artifacts.

Is anyone using the shared video card? I'd like to set the onboard video to the max. Any comments are welcome.

Is anyone using the shared video card? I'd like to set the onboard video to the max. Any comments are welcome.

Mine is set at 512MB and no problem. Not sure it makes any difference with what I'm playing now versus 256MB so I may switch back to 256MB one day.

wow, this thread lives on. i haven't checked it in 2 months -- anyone care to summarize? all i can remember is the grief this board caused me. I waited excitedly for a month then got it and hassled with it a month, then finally came to my senses and just went with a p5w. I couldn't be more happy with my computer, but deep down i know i lost my ideals.

wow, funny fact, with 512MB I never had any problem until the last hour, just when someone was asking about that. Weird.

The problem I have now is with Diablo II:LOD I just installed again because I needed to relog to Battle.net to retreive my characters so they do not expire. Haven't played it since my updrade to the F-I90HD. I was sure all of them would have expired but I'm lucky, only one expired, thought it a barb with full IK set. :-(

Ok, so after installing, I was not able to start the game, it crashed. And since a few minutes ago I was replying here that I will probably switch back to 256MB because 512 was useless for my applications, I find out that Diablo no more crash with 256MB.

Pretty amazing.

I have Vista.

Seems like the onboard video at 512mb dont work under Vista x32.
Am I correct? Is this a Vista issue? XP works fine with 512mb from what I was told.

Im hoping this will be resolved on the next BIOS.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

yeah, i tore my hair out using vista. I was doing a new build from scratch in febuary, and all i was waiting on was this board. built 3 times never worked with vista

Hi!

Have you get this Error when trying playing game? Invalide Video Mode I get this error when trying to play Superbike Do yyou have any clue and help to mee ?

My System:

ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD, ATI RX1250
Intel Core Duo 1,8Ghz
Crucial DDR2 1024Mb x2 =2048MB ram
OS Vista Ultimate 32-bit
400GB SATA disk

well shit..... i turned my computer off to use the HDMI cable on someting else... i turned it off and took the cable out, when i put the cable back in later the computer wouldnt start.

I get one 4-5 second beep... then it stops then another 4-5 second beep... i cant find what the problem is anywhere? i think my board might be bad :(

That's my fear.. to shut if off. Mine is always on and everyone's board die when they turn it off then on. I would be really pissed to turn it off and it never restart.

That's my fear.. to shut if off. Mine is always on and everyone's board die when they turn it off then on. I would be really pissed to turn it off and it never restart.

thats the thing cause ive been leaving it on for a while... but last few weeks ive been shutting it off at night

Thats why I won't touch this board. I had high hopes for it but its got way more problems than some want to admit to. Its also been known to die during reboots (Windows Restart) too so just turning it off isn't the only fear of it not starting up again.

I wish I could return mine... I'm just afraid to turn it off because I don't want to be without a computer for weeks, I need it and if I wait too long then it will be out of warranty.

My second f-i90hd still alive!
e4400@3.2ghz, vcore stock, crucial value:
3200.jpg

Ok, my board arrived 2 weeks ago. installed it and..... graphic mess. The post screen was full of dots and the various DOS resolutions were messy too (onboard graphics HDMI->DVI). Just like in this post, but then in almost every resolution, including the one desktop i've seen and the vista bootscreen.

Tried to install Vista32. Made it once to the desktop but since then only blue screens. Tried a reinstall and an install of windows xp; both kept crashing during install.

Tested the other hardware in another board (e4300, a-data pc6400 ddr2) and it all worked perfectly....

Another board bites the dust I'm afraid. RMA'd the board and went with an Asus P5B-VM, since I have lost my faith in Abit... (I've had many Abit boards, mostly due to their exellent specifications, but I've had many issues with them (anyone recall the blowing capacitors issue, some years ago?))

I'm so glad I ended up waiting on this board, now that the G33 based boards are out the Gigabyte offering is looking like an instant win when compared to the F-I90HD.

Always the second living board!
Cooling optimized! :D
All voltages at stock (don't play anymore with voltage with this mb!)
G7953copier.jpg

G7958copier.jpg

Has anybody been able to get a successful overclock in an OS with the GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2????

I have an e6600 running 334x9 in one of those boards with the F6 BIOS. It has been solid at that speed for the two weeks I've had it, folding SMP 24/7. I was able to get a B1 stepping 930 to boot into XP at 3.99 GHz with this board as well.

No BSEL mods performed on either chip, only BIOS oc'ing.

What's the official line on using one of the Zalman 77 series cpu coolers with this motherboard? Does it clear the onboard VGA heatsink and miss the RAM sticks, or is some modification required? I'd really like to use the Fatal1ty 77 cooler with this mobo, that would be sweet!

What's the official line on using one of the Zalman 77 series cpu coolers with this motherboard? Does it clear the onboard VGA heatsink and miss the RAM sticks, or is some modification required? I'd really like to use the Fatal1ty 77 cooler with this mobo, that would be sweet!

I researched this myself and found several sources that stated and/or showed that both the Zalman 7700 and 8000 series fit without modification. I can only assume that the 7500 series and fatal1ty fit without a problem as well. I ended up going with a (cheaper) thermaltake blue orb II which fit exactly and after setting the fan rpms done to 1200 (via a voltage controller) was almost perfectly silent. These are also some of the best choices if you need low profile air cooling at the moment. I have a sugo case so this was a no brainer ... but you could probably do better with something higher if you have the space.

I researched this myself and found several sources that stated and/or showed that both the Zalman 7700 and 8000 series fit without modification. I can only assume that the 7500 series and fatal1ty fit without a problem as well. I ended up going with a (cheaper) thermaltake blue orb II which fit exactly and after setting the fan rpms done to 1200 (via a voltage controller) was almost perfectly silent. These are also some of the best choices if you need low profile air cooling at the moment. I have a sugo case so this was a no brainer ... but you could probably do better with something higher if you have the space.
Thanks very much! I was also thinking of getting a SG01 Evo case with transparent sidepanels, so I need a big but low-profile cooler. If the Zalman's fit I might get one, but I'll also have a look at the thermaltake orb series too.

I have another quiery concerning a choice of RAM. I've seen a pretty cheap set of two 1GB GEIL sticks from overclockers.co.uk (I'm British), and I'm wondering if these are a good choice. Money is tight, so its either that or some crucial value sticks.

is that true that GA-G33M-DS2R is not better than F-90hd motherboard?
Having read the Gigabyte thread I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. So far the Gigabyte board is getting far higher OCs and none of them have "mysteriously" died yet.

*** Top Picks for 2006: ***
Socket AM2: abit NF-M2 nView
Socket 775 C2D: abit F-I90HD
Socket 939: Biostar TFORCE6100-939
Socket 754: Biostar TFORCE6100
Socket 775: ABiT LG-81

is that true that GA-G33M-DS2R is not better than F-90hd motherboard?
when it comes to o/c a c2d fsb1066: the ga-g33m-ds2r is by far better than the f-i90hd 'cause the fsb can hit easily without hiccups @450! However, the down side is that very good ram is needed.
On the contrary, the f-i90hd is the top choice if one wants to o/c a c2d fsb800: it will be possible to hit fsb@333 and even @350 without using top performance rams!

There are two main issues with the G33M-DS2R that I can see.
1) No 1:1 divider
2) No DVI (VGA only)

The reason some will want the F-I90 HD instead of the G33M-DS2R is because its more geared for HTPC use. It has the built in DVI. Thats the kind of things HTPC users like to have. At least with the G33M-DS2R you can get around the 2nd issue by using a separate video card and the first issue wont stop people from overclocking it higher than the F-I90 HD. You just have to go about it a different way is all. Thats how I see things so far anyway.

Who here overclocks with onboard video running?

Thats what Im currently doing. I can only get [email protected] max at 1.375v.

Whats OC speeds are you getting?

I use onboard video too. I can o/c my e4300 to 3GHz (333MHz x 9) and I can will run orthos for >5 hours @ 3GHz no problem.

However, the strange thing is that as soon as I run sth else like a media player the computer would lock up quickly. If I reduce the FSB to 300MHz then everything runs stably. So I guess the instability I encountered at 3GHz is most likely due to the onboard video?

Don't know if it also has anything to do with the RAM. I use 533 2x1GB memory o/ced to [email protected].

Back