Gaming Keyboard Recommendation

maliclipse

Weaksauce
I have a Dell bluetooth XPS keyboard (~2yrs old) thats been wigging out lately. When I'm in a game or typing a document for that matter the keyboard will freeze up and be stuck the last key I hit. Imagine being in CS:S and stuck on a left strafe "A key". Or typppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppping in a forum. I either have to wait about 30 seconds for the keyboard to recover or turn it off/on.

I think it may be time for a new keyboard.

I looked at the G19 but the thing is huge and expensive at 200$

The G15 looks decent and if anyone has one chime in.

How about the Razer Keyboards or the Microsoft Sidewinder X6?

The Razer Tarantuala looked nice but it seems its been discontinued, the X6 is kind of neat since you can detatch and not use the number pad if you don't want to. I like the Dell one I have because it doesn't feel flimsy but maybe there's a better keyboard out for me.

I also looked at the new Microsoft mobile Bluetooh 6000 keyboard but don't know that would fare in FPS games.

Comments/feedback would be much appreciated.

MH

I have the G15 V2 and I like it, but I don't game with it. I game with a G13 Keypad.

g15-g13.jpg

Logitech G15 original, Belkin N52 Gamepad, and Logitech MX1000 mouse is my combo.

Hey Zepher, is that joystick on that G13 a analog one? How is it for FPS?

Logitech G15 original, Belkin N52 Gamepad, and Logitech MX1000 mouse is my combo.

That is the same combo I had, but got the newer G15 and the G13. N52 is still hooked up but not used.

Hey Zepher, is that joystick on that G13 a analog one? How is it for FPS?

I believe it is an analog stick. I use the G13 for all FPS games, and I use the left motion of the joystick as the spacebar.

Last edited:
I have the older G15. It works great for me. The LCD screen is quite handy for a lot of things. Then you have the G Keys which can also be handy. I have a few of my G Keys setup to turn on application while I am playing my games, like Fraps and Joy-to-Key. the features it has does no have to be just for games as well. You can make your own LCD apps and macros for the G keys for many other applications and programs. I had designed a custom monitor for my LCD screen to watch things for my computer, like the CPU and temps.

The New G15 has a color display. But it has less G Keys. In any case it is a good keyboard if you wish to spend the money on it.

I would suggest Razer as well because I am just a fan of the products. I do not have there keyboard to give a real opinion on it, but there Mice and Audio devices are awesome. I will not purchase any other mouse now. It has to be a Razer. I had a lot of bad luck with Logitech mice. Even though the G15 is Logitech, it is a keyboard. So I have no problems in suggesting it. Mine has been through a lot and is still running strong.

Looks like I'll have to do a bit more research... Thanks for posting links to the deck and filco keyboards. I'll have to do a little research on the switches and see what will be best for me.

I found one that might just be the ticket.

The DAS Keyboard Pro Silent. It uses the cherry brown switches and has media keys via a "FN" key to controll volume and media playback.

All I really care about is the volume control on the keyboard. They dell keyboard I have now has a little nob that is nice so that when you're playing or doing something else you don't have to stop (or esc) go to options and ajust the sound.

The Filco and others look fantastic but are are missing that little feature. The DAS better than stock (a little glossy) and the silent model uses the cherry brown mx switches.

I still like the look of the razer tarantula though. I don't think its mechanical and they cost both about the same (i found some stock).

I'll keep researching before I make a buy.

MH

I dont mean to hijack but if any of you that posted help me with setting up the G13? I just got it tonight and im still scratching my head. I cant seem to google and find exactly what im looking for. Much thanks. PM's are welcome.

I dont mean to hijack but if any of you that posted help me with setting up the G13? I just got it tonight and im still scratching my head. I cant seem to google and find exactly what im looking for. Much thanks. PM's are welcome.

load the software, assign the keys and you are good to go.

Loved having a Sidewinder x6 keyboard, it just felt good all around and I was upset when I sold it for a Razer Lycosa.

Lycosa is downright disappointment for the price I paid for it. Keys have barely any travel, can't tell when you're pressing it, feels like goo even when clean, the touch sensitive volume/lights are so close together hitting one hits 3 of them at the same time, the lighting is uneven, and the rubber finish attracts and shows dust like you wouldn't believe. Not to mention the shitty rear push up thingies fell off the 2nd day I had them, since they are so small they were instantly lost, so it feels like I'm typing on a wooden desk.
Overall it's a 3/10 just because you can re-map any key on the keyboard to a macro, but I honestly rarely use that feature.

Darn you style and having a red-LED keyboard and a blue-LED case :(

I have owned every logitch keyboard except the g19 and every mouse except........ the wireless gaming one. By far I enjoyed the Razer tarantula thee most, then logitech illuminated, my laptop keyboard, and last but not least the MAC aluminum keyboard which I am using right now.

Is there any store/vendor that carries the Filco or Deck keyboards? I hate buying interface components without being able to touch/try them first. From what I've seen on these forums, the only way to try them is to buy them... and then return them if you don't like the way they feel.

It would just be nice to try out the different switch types (blue, brown, black, white/clear... or the capacitive ones) before committing as much as $200.

(I'm east coast, so road-trips to the Filco factory are out...)

I have owned every logitch keyboard except the g19 and every mouse except........ the wireless gaming one. By far I enjoyed the Razer tarantula thee most, then logitech illuminated, my laptop keyboard, and last but not least the MAC aluminum keyboard which I am using right now.

What did you like about the tarantula the most?

MH

I like the way the keys pressed down im no expert. They responded very well to me. My hand was so comfortable on that keyboard also. I rarely used any of the extra stuff that came with it but it can only be a plus.

I like the way the keys pressed down im no expert. They responded very well to me. My hand was so comfortable on that keyboard also. I rarely used any of the extra stuff that came with it but it can only be a plus.

You still have it? If so how has it held up?

I found a place that has some old stock for 70$ and am thinking about that before putting down 2x that for a DAS, Steel 7g, or Filco.

I'm just worried that keyboard won't last 6 months or will start to change because of the membrane it uses instead of individual key switches.

MH

I wish i never looked into these damnit, I want one so bad!!! I was browsing around on another forum and i was at the order screen then i talked my self out of it and maybe wait till later, then i came on this forum like an idiot found some threads about it on here and then re convinced my self.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkbn104meb

That is the one i am thinking about getting, and im trying my hardest not to hit sumbit on this post minimize, pull up another screen and go sit back at the order screen and tell my self its only a click a way!!!!! I love my saitek 2, but these mechanical keyboards are winning me over pretty hard.

Just buy it and you won't look back. Hell, it wouldn't be surprising if you caught the itch and just HAD to try every switch type. *whistles*

^^^^ I agree. My Deck has black switches. Great for gaming, not so great for typing. I will buy a full sized Deck keyboard with blue switches in the future. The Filco browns is a good balance of both blue and black switches, which could be another choice for me also.

I wish i never looked into these damnit, I want one so bad!!! I was browsing around on another forum and i was at the order screen then i talked my self out of it and maybe wait till later, then i came on this forum like an idiot found some threads about it on here and then re convinced my self.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkbn104meb

That is the one i am thinking about getting, and im trying my hardest not to hit sumbit on this post minimize, pull up another screen and go sit back at the order screen and tell my self its only a click a way!!!!! I love my saitek 2, but these mechanical keyboards are winning me over pretty hard.

I have the exact same feeling (posted the same link in the thread before :( )
Atleast I have something similar till I buy one.

I know what my next keyboard's gonna be. :p

Yea im trying to debate, should i wait till my keyboard is completely gone or just get a replacement. I love the keyboard i have now but i think i will love this one more, i got the weekend to decide since it is Friday and my shipment probably wont get processed till Monday. if this thing was 80 bucks it would of been at my house already rush delivered and everything. Hell if they had it at best buy at that price, i wouldn't be bothered I got some gift cards that I need to get rid of :p

I've got a Deck Legend - Ice (tactile) ordered and on the way. I wanted a Toxic but they don't have it in tactile. I don't know if i'm making a mistake in getting a tactile vs a linear switch type... since I mostly game. I just know i'm tired of mistyping on my old g15.

I don't know what i'll do without my media keys though... and I will miss the g15's LCD apps. I only really used the media, vent, teamspeak, and cpu/memory usage ones but... i'll miss them.

I wish logitech made a separate USB LCD screen with media keys.

I'm sure the Deck keyboards are fantastic from what i've read. I just don't know if I should have got the linear... we'll see.

I've got a Deck Legend - Ice (tactile) ordered and on the way. I wanted a Toxic but they don't have it in tactile. I don't know if i'm making a mistake in getting a tactile vs a linear switch type... since I mostly game. I just know i'm tired of mistyping on my old g15.

I'm sure the Deck keyboards are fantastic from what i've read. I just don't know if I should have got the linear... we'll see.

If you're tired of mistyping, I think you made the right choice by going with the tactile as they are wonderful for typing. A bit noisy, but the crisp clicks give you audible and tactile feedback that helps improve speed and accuracy (reviewers and fans of mechanical keyboards will attest to that). I'm definitely faster and more accurate when using my Das Keyboard vs. a mushy keyboard like my old Saitek Eclipse.

This Saitek Cyborg is by far the best game keyboard I have used to date. Most often used game keys are metal clad to prevent wear and it is programmable as well.

DSC00182-rickss69.jpg

DSC00181-rickss69.jpg

Let us not forget "Mighty Mouse"... :p

DSC00290.jpg

My vote goes to the G15, either version. Solid, and durable.

Got my filco tenkeyless with linear switches today for my gaming rig and i can say it is a delight to play games on imo.

Back