Gaming / Game Development PC

gaer42

Limp Gawd
I have been a Mac boy for the last 3 years and have lost touch with the world of PC's. I am moving into some programming / game design / 3d modeling (For game characters) and was wondering what you would suggest when building a rig. I want it to be able to handle the huge calculations while also being able to provide great graphics. The unfortunate thing is I cant spend more than $2000 at the moment.

Can anyone suggest what to use to build this?

I'd recommend you keep your game devel, and gaming computer seperate.

Or at least the OS installs.

That's all, and good luck!

Do you want to build it yourself, or do you want to find someone to develop a solution for you? Many of the smaller builders specialize in developing custom systems for applications like yours, so that might save you some headaches and some legwork.

Whether you build it yourself or get someone to do it for you, $2000 is more than adequate to get something to suit your needs if you just want a computer. You didn't mention if you wanted another monitor, though, and that can be a significant expense.

I want to build it myself. I used to do that a lot and really enjoyed the challenges of it. Plus I believe I can do it cheaper than having some one else do it for me and the leg work is half the fun.

I don't need a monitor. I currently have sufficient monitor room and will just move my mac monitor over to it.

My main problem is I don't know what is what as far as processors, motherboards, and the requirements for programing, specifically game programming (although I am going back to basics and wont hit a level of doing any 3d for at least 2 to 3 months). Any suggestions would be great. I want to try to get something put together before the 1st of the year.

I mainly need to know what kind of mother board (or what to look for in a mother board), The processor and if it is the FSB that is impt or the size of the chip, and if the dual core is the way to go or the celeron etc... Like I said its been a while for me. The last one I put together it was a big thing to be able to put a 2.8 gig processor in and oc it to 3 or higher.

Also is HT important for this or not? If it is what processors have that?

Sorry for all the questions.

Either lock this thread and create a new one over at General Hardware or ask a mod to move this thread over to General Hardware. Either way, this thread is actually in the wrong place as this subforum is for prebuilt PCs, not DIY PCs.

When your thread is moved over to General Hardware, make sure to answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" so that we can help you better.

Back