• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming Computer at ~600$

Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
51
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
PC Gaming and a bit of MS office.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget is around 600. Could I get both the final price and the price without Tax and shipping?
3) Where do you live?
New Jersey (28 minutes from a microcenter if you want to know).
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
GPU, CPU, Memory (RAM), Case, Mobo, and Power supply.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'm not sure about the models but I'm reusing my mouse, monitor, keyboard, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive.
6) Will you be overclocking?
I plan to if I really need to get the full potential.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I have a 1680x1050 monitor.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
End of July but if the combos are going to expire soon, then I might just buy it now.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Crossfire would be nice (I might SLI a 9800 GT) but if it comes down to the cost, then no.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate
Current proposed build:

The computer should be able to play Crysis at high with an average of 40FPS. Is that possible?
I'm planning to play Starcraft 2 (Preordered), Warcraft 3, TF2, CoD.
 
Last edited:
Hmm.. I don't know.
Here's two questions I'm wondering:
Does the X2 have a huge difference over the X4?
Is there a big difference between the 768MB version and the 1GB version of the GTX 460?
 
The X2 555 has a 75% chance to unlock to a full quad core, but the big cache and 3.2 stock speed does very well in games. This review does both the 768mb and 1gb versions, looks to be a slight dip with the 768 @ 1680x1050.
 
Ok thanks. I might get the X4 with the Supeclocked 768 MB GTX 460. However, there are two on newegg and one says:
EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR
While the other one says EVGA 768-P3-1362-AR
Any difference?
 
look them up on the evga website. Sometimes they assign a different sku for promo cards i.e. when they include a free game.
 
evga has better mini hdmi adapter in the box than gigabyte and better customer support of the two.
 
I can't really suggest these super clock cards... overclocking is too easy out of the box. 800 GHz from stock model standard.
 
I can't really suggest these super clock cards... overclocking is too easy out of the box. 800 GHz from stock model standard.

agreed, I feel the same about the amd cpu's as well, the free AOD tool from AMD is super silly easy to use.
 
If overclocking is a possibility for you, why are you going with DDR3 1066 memory? And why are you buying a 2GB kit, especially when you can buy a decent 4GB kit for around $30 more?

The "other" case/PSU combo deal you're inquiring about is $150 when purchased together. The combo in your build list is $100. Stick with the one in your build list.
 
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to stay in the 600$ total area but the tax and shipping fee ruined it so I was forced to get a DDR3 1066.
PS: The motherboard does support the GPU right?

EDIT: Just tested what would happen if I replaced the RAM with the one you suggested. It really is only a 30$ difference :p
 
If the motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot, it will support any video card that uses PCI Express x16.

I believe that it's worth paying the extra $30 for the better RAM kit. If you're still balking at that, consider "dropping down" from a GTX 460 to an HD 5770. The 5770 offers decent performance for 1680x1050 gaming.
 
I might consider that drop down.

As for now, this is my (let's ignore the tax build and thank god for 2$ shipping?)
I looked at all the discounts and the case and PSU is even better (NOT A COMBO).

I might have to rid of the good RAM or Graphics card if my parents say no (It's my money but they control me -_-)
 
Last edited:
if you are going to make cuts the cpu is the best place to start as games right now are more GPU dependant than CPU.
 
PSU is even better (NOT A COMBO).

How is that Rosewill PSU even better? The Antec is based off a Seasonic platform whereas that Rosewill is based off an ATNG APL design. Seasonic > ATNG. Plus with that combo deal, that Antec is not much more than the Rosewill + separate case.
 
@lt_shiro: Thanks, I'll try that.
@Danny_Bui: It was the cheapest PSU I could find that's 600 watts+ and has a 80 PLUS.
 
@Danny_Bui: It was the cheapest PSU I could find that's 600 watts+ and has a 80 PLUS.

Ok.. But still not that good of choice considering that you originally had that Antec VSK2000 case + Antec 620C PSU combo deal for $105 shipped.
 
The case seemed to be a little disappointing from what the reviews said.
So it's a little bit worse PSU with a better case? If you would give me a combo or a link to a PSU and case, I will look it over. (Combo must be 100$)

I finally got it down to 600$ with that CPU change!

EDIT: Will all the parts be compatible?
 
Last edited:
The case seemed to be a little disappointing from what the reviews said.
So it's a little bit worse PSU with a better case? If you would give me a combo or a link to a PSU and case, I will look it over. (Combo must be 100$)

No it's more like an ok PSU with a better case VS a higher quality PSU with an ok case.

Another combo deal:
$95 - Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W + Antec 300 Case
 
Will the PSU be able to support a "possible SLI, possible overclock in the GPU" even after the amount of power the 460 and the processor take already?
 
Will the PSU be able to support a "possible SLI, possible overclock in the GPU" even after the amount of power the 460 and the processor take already?

SLI of relatively low power cards (150W per card give or take), yes. Overclock, yes.
 
$95 - Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W + Antec 300 Case

That ends up being a 6 dolalr difference in shipped price, but in the long run that change would be worth paying another 50 for so thats a hell of alot better then the rosewill stuff above.
 
Ok so I talked to my brother about it and he said:
OMG THE POWER USAGE IS SO HIGH!
I have a number of reasons why he said this:
1. His crappy 4 year old laptop takes up 75watts at load.
2. He's jealous
3. Says AMD sucks and Hardforum sucks because the motherboard that you guys suggested didn't have integrated graphics (which means I need a intel i5 which completely ruins the build). Says that I will leave it on at night (which I never do). Basically he's saying get a integrated graphics card

Remark 2: Nvidia Sucks
1. Fermi is horrible
2. 5830 is the king of 200$ graphics card
3. 5830 takes up less wattage (which is not true).

So basically I need a integrated graphics card and he's forcing me to get USB 3.0 (which on my budget is impossible).
 
Remark 2: Nvidia Sucks
1. Fermi is horrible
2. 5830 is the king of 200$ graphics card
3. 5830 takes up less wattage (which is not true).

So basically I need a integrated graphics card and he's forcing me to get USB 3.0 (which on my budget is impossible).

GTX 465, 470, 480 are high power usage and priced outside of their performace per dollar to the AMD's current Radeons. Hence why most people wouldn't suggest them.

5830 was the king before GTX 460 was on the market.

yes 5830 does use less power than GTX 460 but in no way to levels of the previous Fermi cards before.
 
Ok so I talked to my brother about it and he said:
OMG THE POWER USAGE IS SO HIGH!
I have a number of reasons why he said this:
1. His crappy 4 year old laptop takes up 75watts at load.
2. He's jealous
3. Says AMD sucks and Hardforum sucks because the motherboard that you guys suggested didn't have integrated graphics (which means I need a intel i5 which completely ruins the build). Says that I will leave it on at night (which I never do). Basically he's saying get a integrated graphics card

Remark 2: Nvidia Sucks
1. Fermi is horrible
2. 5830 is the king of 200$ graphics card
3. 5830 takes up less wattage (which is not true).

So basically I need a integrated graphics card and he's forcing me to get USB 3.0 (which on my budget is impossible).

Your brother is, frankly, stupid.

If he did anything resembling research, he'd know that integrated graphics suck for gaming. You DO NOT need an Intel Core i3/i5 processor -- your money would be better spend on a GTX 460 or an HD 5830.
 
Ok so I talked to my brother about it and he said:
OMG THE POWER USAGE IS SO HIGH!
I have a number of reasons why he said this:
1. His crappy 4 year old laptop takes up 75watts at load.
2. He's jealous
3. Says AMD sucks and Hardforum sucks because the motherboard that you guys suggested didn't have integrated graphics (which means I need a intel i5 which completely ruins the build). Says that I will leave it on at night (which I never do). Basically he's saying get a integrated graphics card

Remark 2: Nvidia Sucks
1. Fermi is horrible
2. 5830 is the king of 200$ graphics card
3. 5830 takes up less wattage (which is not true).

So basically I need a integrated graphics card and he's forcing me to get USB 3.0 (which on my budget is impossible).

0. Tell your brother I said he is a Moron..
1. Of course his 4 year old laptop uses less power, & my WHS with 4 mechanical drives uses about 20% of what his laptop does.. But there all designed for different purposes.
2. Thats Obvious
3. If you are going to be gaming then getting a motherboard with integrated graphics does 2 things for you. 1. It adds cost to the motherboard that wont pay off & 2. it increases the power consumption of said board with no pay off because you NEED a dedicated graphics card for any real gaming.

As for the i5 thats a bust if you want to game.. The usb 3.0 isnt unreasonable though.. As far as the graphics go, Meh to each his own, I prefer ati, but the 460 is supposed to be quite the competitor at that price point.
 
Yeah, your bro is talking shit out of his ass.

As tiraides said, it does not look like your bro understand anything about this current gen hardware. If he wishes to refute each and every part we've recommended, by all means, have him sign up for this forum, post in this thread and provide logical evidence and proof for his reasonings.

So in other words, don't listen to your bro. It's your damn money, he's damn wrong about everything so far, and he's not here to refute anything we've said so far.
 
OK so I reworked a build a bit for ya.. Try This..

173 ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard + AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
134 NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series + G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
270 CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX + GIGABYTE GV-R583UD-1GD Radeon HD 5830 1GB

Shipped total of 590 & gets you a quad core with 5830, on-board video (yuck), usb 3.0

Edit: removed the reference to SATA 6.0 as the mainboard does not have it.
 
Last edited:
Unless your brother is holding a gun to your head -- or he's actually buying the parts for you -- there's no reason for you to get the any Core i3 or Core i5 processor, let alone a motherboard with onboard video.

Explain to us why you "have" to get these parts.
 
Back
Top