Gamestop won't close it's doors

People shouldn't be out shopping for shit like this at all right now, let alone in a city/state where a lockdown is in force. Gamestop calling themselves essential is mind boggling. Someone should shut them down.

I was never more happy than when I quit gamestop after working there 3 years in early 2000. Always short staffed, and had to work off the clock all the time when the allowed hours ran out. It was one of the worst jobs I worked ever.

If GameStop closes its door, it’s not opening them again. The company is losing shit tons of money and already struggling for retail relevance.

if employees get what they want and GameStop closes, they are losing their paychecks. If people have an issue with going to work, they should stop going in and point out the many ways GS is failing to provide them with a safe work environment.

People shouldn't be out shopping for shit like this at all right now, let alone in a city/state where a lockdown is in force. Gamestop calling themselves essential is mind boggling. Someone should shut them down.
Please stop buying the media bs they have blown this thing so far out of proportions and are crashing the economy over it

Please stop buying the media bs they have blown this thing so far out of proportions and are crashing the economy over it

Between the people who don't care if people die because it might inconvenience their lives (what you are indicating) and the people who think the world is ending...somewhere, in there, is the truth.

BTW..coronavirus (COVID-19) is a variant of SARS. It is a nasty little bugger (much worse than the "flu"). There is a reason why it takes out compromised people much quicker than the flu does. Maybe this might help you..but pretty sure you already have your mind made upon the situation.

Note: I have a GP doctor living on one side of my house and a epidemiologist down the road. I tend to have access to real information a bit more than the typical person.

What Gamestop is, is a de facto monopoly. Insignificant as that might be. For most of the country they are the only local brick and mortar game specialty retailer.
Yet they're notorious for repeatedly biting the hand that feeds them. Trying too hard to sell things other than video games is but one of the long, sad, list of bad ideas eroding their presence.

What Gamestop is, is a de facto monopoly. Insignificant as that might be. For most of the country they are the only local brick and mortar game specialty retailer.
Yet they're notorious for repeatedly biting the hand that feeds them. Trying too hard to sell things other than video games is but one of the long, sad, list of bad ideas eroding their presence.
No they are not. Many b&m stores sale games. Walmart for one and they are also everywhere. These other stores also offer cheaper prices for newly released games shortly after release while GS continues to keep new games at $60 while trying to push their pre-owned games at $55. This model is what killing them. There really is no reason to go to gs nowadays over any b&m stores. They offer nothing. You can also getmore money selling games on CL or FB market.

Gamestop is not even close to the de facto monopoly. Not only does Amazon exist, Gamestop isn't even the biggest retail game supplier. Walmart surpassed them a long time go. Why do people need a specialty game retailer? Gamestop is more of a video game version of Hot Topic these days anyway, it has been a long time since their sole focus was on selling video games.

I could go both ways on this.
Who cares if they are open, if nobody goes like there suppose to then it's not affecting anyone.
Nobody could possibly go if, they were closed.
The question is where does the responsibility for this begin, with the company or with the person. Chicken or egg first?
Who knows.
We don't bitch at bars for serving alcohol when drinking and driving kills. It's blamed on the individual, I am not certain this is any different but, haven't thought that much about it either. I just stay home.

You work in healthcare?

No? Okay.

It's far worse than the flu and we barely have the capacity to handle a bad flu season. This is on top of flu. The issue is that people that present symptomatically have a very high likelihood of hospitalization vs. flu, and those that are hospitalized have a very high likelihood of requiring intensive care. We don't have the capacity to handle this. But yes, "fake news".

While coronavirus is bad, media is doing tremendous job sensationalizing it, driving their ratings up.

I've seen a PSA from one local news stations on TV saying to stay home and wash hands while super dramatic "Hands Zimmer" music was playing in the background.

While the media loves a good "doom and gloom" story an ad like that will get people's attention. I think sometimes we underestimate just how stupid people can be and don't realize the extreme measures that need to be taken to beat messages into their heads. Especially when it requires them to be inconvenienced.

No they are not. Many b&m stores sale games. Walmart for one and they are also everywhere. These other stores also offer cheaper prices for newly released games shortly after release while GS continues to keep new games at $60 while trying to push their pre-owned games at $55. This model is what killing them. There really is no reason to go to gs nowadays over any b&m stores. They offer nothing. You can also getmore money selling games on CL or FB market.

Case in point. An advantage GS once had, is they sell a considerably wider variety of games than other b&m stores. Especially true in smaller towns without mom & pop game shops. The big guys like Walmart carry few niche or indie releases.
Online has since made that irrelevant.

Back