Gamer Gets Swatted On Live Stream

The simple solution to these swat raid problems is to make the city directly finacially responsible for all damage resulting from incorrect execution or information. Take out the insurance policies and their ability to go to the tax payers for additional funds. Make the officers and their pensions pay for these settlements. While that will likely be viewed as harsh by many, what it will do is force them to use their fucking heads and not go in with deadly force but rather with stun guns.

The simple solution to these swat raid problems is to make the city directly finacially responsible for all damage resulting from incorrect execution or information

And what if somebody dies because the police were afraid to go in fearing these financial repercussions?

You're confounding Afghanistan and Iraq. Setting Iraq aside because Iraq was really about removing Saddam and the mistaken attempt to rebuild the place.

But for Afghanistan, the little kid missing their daddy thing cuts both ways. They hosted and supported the people who turned two major buildings and 3000 people to dust.

Your attitude seems to be that we should just sit there and take our medicine or something. F/U. Aside from that there was the simple fact the people who did it would most probably do it again. They had to be removed.

And Afghanistan was far from a paradise, the civil war with the Taliban pretty much wrecked the place and killed hundreds of thousands before we got there.

Removing Saddam (a secular dictator) strengthened Iran as a regional power and completely threw the region into instability, basically putting the area up for grabs to the strongest warlord, unless we wanted to be indefinitely involved and basically run the country. Which would go over well.

The simple solution to these swat raid problems is to make the city directly finacially responsible for all damage resulting from incorrect execution or information. Take out the insurance policies and their ability to go to the tax payers for additional funds. Make the officers and their pensions pay for these settlements. While that will likely be viewed as harsh by many, what it will do is force them to use their fucking heads and not go in with deadly force but rather with stun guns.

Cops/SWAT in general are now overly concerned with their own safety and not the safety of the populace. Slightest hint of danger? Move to a weapon. Here we have a great example of a police officer using a Taser to deal with an extremely dangerous (read: sarcasm) 8-year old girl. SD Police Say Tasing 8-Year-Old Native Girl Was Justified

I don't see how an anonymous phone call to call to action the SWAT team can occur. It doesn't take much resources for the following to be verified:

1.) If someone claims he's being held against his will in a terror situation like in this incident, it should be fairly simple to triangulate his call to find out if he's really in the address he says he's at.
2.) If someone who made this call is calling from a payphone that's nowhere near the alleged address of terrorism, then the call should be handled like a prank and pursued that way.

But that requires too much common sense, which the gov.'t obviously lacks.

I don't see how an anonymous phone call to call to action the SWAT team can occur. It doesn't take much resources for the following to be verified:

1.) If someone claims he's being held against his will in a terror situation like in this incident, it should be fairly simple to triangulate his call to find out if he's really in the address he says he's at.
2.) If someone who made this call is calling from a payphone that's nowhere near the alleged address of terrorism, then the call should be handled like a prank and pursued that way.

You win the thread!

Its like that Deadpool demotivational poster:
Common sense, so rare it should be a god damn superpower

You win the thread!

Its like that Deadpool demotivational poster:
Common sense, so rare it should be a god damn superpower

I hadn't heard of that demotivational poster, but just found. Pretty damn hilarious. :D

commonsense.jpg

A) This isn't CSI.
B) These Swatting calls all are done via Skype/Vonage etc. Thus location is irrelevant, since it's going to point to some server center.

So the cops usually cannot get the information you are asking them to get.

What I am afraid of is one of these days someone is going to do this to someone, and the person on the receiving end is going to be armed and when someone comes busting into his house hes going to pull or reach for a gun and get shot to death.

What I am afraid of is one of these days someone is going to do this to someone, and the person on the receiving end is going to be armed and when someone comes busting into his house hes going to pull or reach for a gun and get shot to death.
Already happened recently with a marine. He heard banging, told his family to hide in a closet, and he wasn't even pointing his AR at them when they blast through, he was merely holding it down and they showed that the safety was also still engaged on it. They shot him to death with I think they said 25 shots or so in a barrage within seconds when they saw he had a gun. Turned out to be the wrong house, the marine had no criminal record, and they refuse to release the body cam footage for the SWAT guys. The surviving family is suing for millions but still can't get the video, to date they have finally only released one outside the home where I believe the SWAT did scream "POLICE" before barging in, but if he was inside shouting for his family to hide while they were hammering on the door it could have been easy to either misunderstand or not hear it in the scuffle inside.

Modred189 already brought up one reason why you are wrong but here is another.

Triangulating phone calls isn't a trivial task. I was watching an interview with a 911 responder and there job has gotten tougher with the rise of cellphones. Before they didn't need to know where the call was coming from with land lines. But with cell phones precision and accuracy goes way down so they have to spend more time asking and verifying where you calling from than they did 2 decades ago.

That's pretty awesome, even though in practice it won't be applied because you are still outgunned, and no matter what if you shoot a cop his "brotherhood" will ensure you aren't taken alive even if you throw your hands up and surrender.

What I like though is it hopefully reverses the trend towards the police state we are rapidly moving towards, and gives them pause on when to barge into people's homes putting civilian lives at risk for nonsense like finding a doob in one out of five houses or some such bullshit.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/us-police-murdered-5000-innocent-civilians-since-911/172029/

US Police Have Killed Over 5,000 Civilians Since 9/11

Statistically speaking, Americans should be more fearful of the local cops than “terrorists.”

Though Americans commonly believe law enforcement’s role in society is to protect them and ensure peace and stability within the community, the sad reality is that police departments are often more focused on enforcing laws, making arrests and issuing citations. As a result of this as well as an increase in militarized policing techniques, Americans are eight times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist, estimates a Washington’s Blog report based on official statistical data.

Though the U.S. government does not have a database collecting information about the total number of police involved shootings each year, it’s estimated that between 500 and 1,000 Americans are killed by police officers each year. Since 9/11, about 5,000 Americans have been killed by U.S. police officers, which is almost equivalent to the number of U.S. soldiers who have been killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

Because individual police departments are not required to submit information regarding the use of deadly force by its officers, some bloggers have taken it upon themselves to aggregate that data. Wikipedia also has a list of “justifiable homicides” in the U.S., which was created by documenting publicized deaths.

Alright, let's break down that number. 5000 in 12 years (when the article was written) is about 416 per year. There are about half a million sworn police officers in the US, so in round numbers, one in a thousand police officers kill a person each year.

The article puts "justifiable homicide" in scary quotes. But put it realistically--how many of those dead people had criminal records? How many of them were threatening to kill someone?

A) This isn't CSI.
B) These Swatting calls all are done via Skype/Vonage etc. Thus location is irrelevant, since it's going to point to some server center.

So the cops usually cannot get the information you are asking them to get.

Modred189 already brought up one reason why you are wrong but here is another.

Triangulating phone calls isn't a trivial task. I was watching an interview with a 911 responder and there job has gotten tougher with the rise of cellphones. Before they didn't need to know where the call was coming from with land lines. But with cell phones precision and accuracy goes way down so they have to spend more time asking and verifying where you calling from than they did 2 decades ago.
I'll try to reply to both of you at the same time.

I know the SWAT team's only responsibility is to drive recklessly, bust down doors, and arrest or shoot people. I get that. I'm not asking them to do "CSI" on who called. The 911 operator who takes the call should find out where the person is calling from. "Sir, are you OK? Where are you right and and how did you call 911? Can you talk for more details or is the suspect too close?" Stuff like that.

And perhaps I misspoke when I said to triangulate the call. If the call came from a cell phone, it should be very easy for them to determine which cell tower was the closest to it. And if GPS isn't enabled, that won't give them the exact address of the cell phone that called 911, but it will tell the 911 operator (or whoever she outsources that task to) if the caller is literally within the same Zip code of the alleged crime or not. If not, it's pretty obvious that it's a prank call and should be handled as such.

Yay for cherrypicking data.

Here's the original article (which still has a smattering of data...and which also relies on Wikipedia for data), so conveniently skewed by bloggers with axes to grind at least 3 times over:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/statistics-you-are-not-going-to-be-killed-by-terrorists.html

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

– You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

— You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

— You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

— You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

– You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

–You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

–You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

–You are 8 times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

– You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

According to the logic in this thread, we need to ban all of the following:
Airplanes
Cars
Ladders
Swimming
Trains
Beds, blankets and pillows...and no more than 1 person sleeping at a time
Binge Drinking and Taco Bell
Police
Electricity
Hot weather

Amazing how many mundane and voluntary things are FAR more dangerous than your average police officer.

The general public shouldn't have to resort to third party information gathering in the first place. Why doesn't the government itself publish the statistics so that speculation isn't required?

The general public shouldn't have to resort to third party information gathering in the first place. Why doesn't the government itself publish the statistics so that speculation isn't required?

Do YOU trust the government to tell you how safe they are? Because all they do is try to convince us we're unsafe and that more invasion of privacy is going to fix the problem.

I agree with beowulf. You cannot rely on triangulation for a precise location, but you can absolutely figure out which towers a user is accessing, which is good enough. If someone is several cities away or further, then more investigation should be done before dispatching a SWAT team. It doesn't necessarily mean ALL of these calls are pranks, because there HAS been at least one case where a streamer had a breakin on stream and a viewer called police and there was a response. And sometimes people get hysteric and instead of calling 911 they call a relative and the relative calls 911. These sorts of calls can't be dismissed outright as a prank, but this could definitely be an indication of a potential prank.

Also, police (including SWAT teams) should be liable for ANY damage they do if they don't end up with enough evidence to actually charge the victim of their RAID. This includes repair fees for the door and furniture and other things they destroy, fees for pets that they kill, fees for counseling for the victims they traumatized (with a lot of extra for emotional distress), etc. We need to end this idea that police aren't liable for the things they do, even though it is indeed a dangerous job. If they are good cops I don't want them to die, but one of their jobs is to enforce the laws, including the Constitution itself.

Though the U.S. government does not have a database collecting information about the total number of police involved shootings each year
STEP 1: As part of transparency this needs to be public information, YESTERDAY!
STEP 2: Kick the ass of the SWAT punkasses that say they are above laws regarding government transparency because they are private corporations, or make it legal for citizens to open fire on private corporations making armed assaults into their homes and stop issuing private corporations warrants and legal protections period.

STEP 2: Kick the ass of the SWAT punkasses that say they are above laws regarding government transparency because they are private corporations, or make it legal for citizens to open fire on private corporations making armed assaults into their homes and stop issuing private corporations warrants and legal protections period.

Once in a very great while, things actually do work out: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ome-search-warrant-accept-thought-robbed.html

If a SWAT team busts down your door, they aren't going to stop and show you ID, and you don't have the time to decide if they are friend or foe. This guy felt threatened, WAS threatened, was NOT informed properly of the situation, and took action based on the little information and time he had. I'm not sure if the guy had actually done anything worthy of a SWAT response, but in general, I don't think someone can be blamed when being thrown into this situation. I think it asinine that people accept that police can legally do this to begin with.

I still like the (fake) 25 years to life sentence. Slam a few of these pre-pubescent shits in the slammer for a while, it'll send a message. :D

Once in a very great while, things actually do work out: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ome-search-warrant-accept-thought-robbed.html

If a SWAT team busts down your door, they aren't going to stop and show you ID, and you don't have the time to decide if they are friend or foe. This guy felt threatened, WAS threatened, was NOT informed properly of the situation, and took action based on the little information and time he had. I'm not sure if the guy had actually done anything worthy of a SWAT response, but in general, I don't think someone can be blamed when being thrown into this situation. I think it asinine that people accept that police can legally do this to begin with.
Holy crap that's one fat cop. I'm surprised the bullet went thru all that blubber. (j/k)

article-2553378-1B404CD200000578-507_634x422.jpg

God damned fools. The police need to have their toys taken away; a police officer should not be armed with anything more than a .38 special (and frankly, with a number of them, I wouldn't even trust them with that). If you need military level force then it is the military/national guard that needs to get involved and Sheriff Coltrane because most LEOs I've seen couldn't hit the broadside of an elephant from 10 feet away let alone be trusted to handle military-grade equipment.

And someone died again thanks to a simple marijuana bust. Why they would do these at night is beyond me, even if they do shout "police!" first, which when you're already asleep you could easily miss until you are woken up by the loud crash of the front door caving in.

The only reason this case is unusual, is that instead of a family member or pet being shot, it was actually an officer that got shot for a change.

If that happened more often, perhaps they would give up on their rambo campaign and police important things.

I'll try to reply to both of you at the same time.

I know the SWAT team's only responsibility is to drive recklessly, bust down doors, and arrest or shoot people. I get that. I'm not asking them to do "CSI" on who called. The 911 operator who takes the call should find out where the person is calling from. "Sir, are you OK? Where are you right and and how did you call 911? Can you talk for more details or is the suspect too close?" Stuff like that.

And perhaps I misspoke when I said to triangulate the call. If the call came from a cell phone, it should be very easy for them to determine which cell tower was the closest to it. And if GPS isn't enabled, that won't give them the exact address of the cell phone that called 911, but it will tell the 911 operator (or whoever she outsources that task to) if the caller is literally within the same Zip code of the alleged crime or not. If not, it's pretty obvious that it's a prank call and should be handled as such.

The problem even with this is that a 911 operator shouldn't be able to dispatch swat without approval. They can start up the wagon and head to the location but if in a few minutes, if it isn't approved by someone ranked above swat, it should be recalled.

Back