Game rig upgrade, new Intel P35 build

Gussboy

Weaksauce
I am having a hard time making a few decisions on my game box upgrade. I want to keep it around $1000 for the upgrade. I do alot of multi-tasking and am a pretty serious pc gamer.

Already have:

- case: Lian Li V PC-V1100B
- psu: Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE SFMA(24P) EPS12V 600W
- video card: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
- drives: 34GB Raptors raid 0, 250GB 7200 RPM drive, DVDR optical drive, etc

Looking at getting:

- mobo: Asus P5K Deluxe

- cpu: Core 2 Duo E6600

- memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ??

- cpu cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT or Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme ??

- sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

The two areas I am most unsure about are the memory and the cpu cooler. I have been reading that for going 4GB it might be better to go with 2 x 2GB rather than a 4 x 1GB setup. I am going to be running Vista 32-bit but still want to go with 4GB of ram due to low prices and future 64-bit Vista down the line. I initially thought about expensive top brand RAM like Corsair or Crucial and going with DDR2 1066 but a number of people have said that is a waste of money on my build at this point. Can anyone comment on the 4 x 1GB versus going 2 x 2GB?

As far as the CPU cooler I am really lost at which one and I want to make sure it will fit ok on the Asus P5K Deluxe motherboard in my case. I am only planning at pushing the E6600 to around a 400FSB so no crazy overclocking. I had read this top 5 cpu cooler round up on Frostytech but I am still undecided.

You shouldn't have any trouble with a Thermalright Ultra-120 with that motherboard and case, so i'd get that over the Zalman 9500.

If you have the money for it, then go for the Ultra-120. It's a pretty decent HSF.

You shouldn't have any trouble with a Thermalright Ultra-120 with that motherboard and case, so i'd get that over the Zalman 9500.

You are referring to this CPU cooler, right? Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler

If my calculations are corrent the heatsink on this bad boy is right at 160mm tall which is about 6.5 inches. I am going to have to measure my Lian Li case to make sure there is enough clearance.

Also, the Anadtech review for the Ultra-120 Extreme cooler recommended also adding a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm fan that straps onto the Ultra-120 heatsink via the included wire arms.

Any opinions on RAM for my system outlined the my first post above?

I know I want to go 4GB, but I can't make the decision between a 4 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb memory config.

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on my new upgrade listed at the top of this thread. My only questions remains..

4 x1gb or 2 x2gb memory config. I know I want to get out of the gate with 4GB. Right now my leading candidate for the 4GB ram is the below 2 x 2gb kit:

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

That's what i'd get. ;)

Mansize, in my other build thread you mentioned that you were recommending going with a 4 x1GB memory config instead of the 2 x2GB config which confused me?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1194435&page=2

I have read in other places that 4GB memory config that is 2 x 2gb would have a better chance at overclocking than a 4 x1gb config. Please help a newb here guys. I just want to order my new parts so I can start playing with my new system!!

Do you already have Vista 32-bit? Personally, I'd just get 2x1GB and then get another 2x1GB when you upgrade to 64-bit.

Do you already have Vista 32-bit? Personally, I'd just get 2x1GB and then get another 2x1GB when you upgrade to 64-bit.

If I do end up going with just 2GB of memory in a 2x1GB format, what speed RAM do I want to target? Is DDR2 800 my best bet with the new Asus P5K Deluxe DDR2 board?

What CAS rating and memory timings should I look for when buying? I am a relative newbie when it comes to shopping for memory. BTW, me planned system spec is up in the first post in the thread.

Well, it depends on if you OC your memory or not. If you get a set of DDR2 800 memory with 4-4-4 timings, you could probably hit DDR2 1000 speeds with a little extra voltage and 5-5-5 timings instead. You could always just run a DDR2 667 or 533 divider on the memory and keep it right around DDR2 800 actual speed with a FSB OC. The timings do make a difference, but mostly in synthetic benchmarks. You'd never notice the difference between 5-5-5 and 4-4-4 at DDR2 800 speed unless you were doing memory bandwidth testing.

Really my only goal with overclocking this new system is getting the E6600 CPU from default 2.4Ghz to 3+Ghz.. I would ideally like to run it at 9x400FSB for a 3.6Ghz clock.

How important is getting just the right kind of memory given that I am only looking to overclock my CPU as specified above? Should I be able to achieve my desired overclocking range with the G.Skill 2 x2GB memory in my first post? It runs at CAS5 5-5-5-15 for a total of 4GB of memory with the two sticks. I get confused about the dividers and such when it comes to CPU/Memory clocking.. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Really my only goal with overclocking this new system is getting the E6600 CPU from default 2.4Ghz to 3+Ghz.. I would ideally like to run it at 9x400FSB for a 3.6Ghz clock.

How important is getting just the right kind of memory given that I am only looking to overclock my CPU as specified above? Should I be able to achieve my desired overclocking range with the G.Skill 2 x2GB memory in my first post? It runs at CAS5 5-5-5-15 for a total of 4GB of memory with the two sticks. I get confused about the dividers and such when it comes to CPU/Memory clocking.. Thanks in advance for the advice!

The G.Skill kit you're looking at will be fine for your goals. As you said, you're not OC'ing the RAM, so there's nothing to worry about. Just keep the RAM and CPU at a 1:1 ratio. It's all calculated off the base FSB. As kirbyrj mentioned, you won't notice much difference between CL4 and CL5 in normal usage.

E6600: 9 * 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << stock
E6600: 9 * 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << OC'd

2x2GB vs 4x1GB:
Harder to OC 4 seperate sticks of RAM, as is OC'ing 4 cores of a CPU. So in turn, its easier to OC 2x2GB. However, if you're not planning on OC'ing the ram, then this is irrelevant. You get better latency with 4x1GB, but again, theres little difference between CL4 and CL5. You may notice, however, a slight difference between CL4 and CL6. So, stick to CL5 and you should be fine. With 2x2GB, you have more expandability, since 2 DIMMS will be free.

Back