Game internet speed

crewzen

Gawd
That is all my Time Warner Turbo will do it sucks. Is this normal?

I was realy wanting to play some on line games but with this speed a snail could beat me.:mad:

If this is in the wrong place move it. Thanks:(

upload isn't horrible but the download is pretty bad, tried using a different speedtest server?

I run a similar setup and my gaming experience is fine. You'll be ok.

yeah ur fine i had 768 kbps connection since 2000 till juss recently i got fios and i could play online with no problems. unles u have like a few computers connected in ur house sharing that bandwidth.

Online gaming performance depends on latency, not throughput. As long as your ping times are decent, that connection will work perfectly fine.

I get 2x,xxx download/5xxx upload with comcast, and I still lag sometimes. It depends on what ur latency is to the server.

Weird, your Roadrunner gets a much slower DL. But I have worse upload, though games run fine. I ping 30 on some servers.

EDIT: Just noticed you're on the Turbo version... my speeds as shown above is with REGULAR version. Something's really wrong with your connection.

Online gaming performance depends on latency, not throughput. As long as your ping times are decent, that connection will work perfectly fine.

Correct, but packet loss could also be his cause of poor bandwidth and that will be a problem with gaming.

OP, head over to www.dslreports.com and register for a free account and run the Line Quality Test and see if you are getting a bunch of packet loss.

x2 on dslreports, good info there, look in the regional forum for your provider and see what other people are getting, they might be doing work in your area or something.

Sorry, i had to show off

I'm jealous of some of these bandwidths.

-S

PS- In before "It's not the size of your pipe, it's how you use it." :rolleyes:

Bah, crappy site, seems to cap out at around 30mbit per second, not enough time to "get up to speed" :(

Is there anything I can do to reduce my ping, other than look around for closer servers?

This was the "recommended" server in my area, and is located in my hometown of Orlando. For WoW, I vary rarely saw a ping under 100. 200-ish is the norm, so far.

-S

I would try the roadrunner speed test app at the twc site as well. As that will likely give you the best down/up.

I have TWC Roadrunner too and it blows so hard. I wish their were better options in my state. No Fios yet. ATT dsl is retarded in our area and can't even do 512 up. So RoadRunner Turbo is the best at 512 up without going to business class.

Your post reminds me how much I hate TWC and RoadRunner service.

Is there anything I can do to reduce my ping, other than look around for closer servers?

This was the "recommended" server in my area, and is located in my hometown of Orlando. For WoW, I vary rarely saw a ping under 100. 200-ish is the norm, so far.

-S

It doesn't matter that it's in your home town.

The packets probably travel half way across the country and then back to your server anyway.

I pay for the 16/2 tier. 68 dollars a month without cable tv. I am actually getting 15000 in the test because I have a couple things stealing bandwidth.

Yeah, you're turbo should definitely be downloading a lot faster than that. On another note, I used to game with my 150kb/s DSL and it worked just fine. Many enjoyable hours of online Medal Of Honor: AA. My pings were always lower than 100. I was rarely the top scorer, but that wasn't my DSL's fault. ;)

I've been trying to justify upgrading to the 16/2 tier, but I just don't see what I'd so with the extra speed.

Road Runner and I am really jealous. We need fios around here bad.

Edit, funny thing is I get about the exact same thing all the way to DC.\

My ping seems alittle high but overall I'm satisfied with Cox until we get FiOS in the midwest.

Guess this is turning into an ePeen contest... Fuck it why not...

EDIT, looks like us FiOS guys using the New York server have the lowest ping :D

My RR Turbo, something's probably wrong with your connection or you have router/others in your house issues. Ours is advertised as 15 down/ 2 up.

My game ping such as in TF2 is usually 30-ish

Back