Game Developers Must Avoid The ‘Wage-Slave’ Attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha wow. Scary but for no reasons I guess then huh?

No.

Its scary for real reasons and real consequences if things don't work out right. And its easy for things to not work out right. I've had jobs that I thought were a sure thing fall through for reasons unknown during moves. I've had to watch savings dwindle for months while frantically searching for work. Savings that took years to get. Things did pan out but it was pure luck. I've seen what happens to others when it doesn't work out and it is ugly knowing your actions put you and your family on the street.

I've done 3 major moves in my life and I know how hard it is and for you to give such a blase' reply, to what is in this day and age a very risky move for someone who works for living, is just awful. And out of touch with reality.

Are you working as a small overworked cog in a game dev? That's what this discussion is about. Guess what? That job isn't going to let you stay for 40 years and retire. The studio won't even exist for half of that. So you are going to lose your job eventually anyway. You are right. Everyone should just stay where they are at and hope for the best. That's way more responsible to your family than taking a chance elsewhere, in a much more stable industry.

I have changed careers several times myself. Went bankrupt once and almost again a second time. Sometimes you have to move in with some friends with your kid and start over to make a better life for yourself. That's life dude.

Just gonna put this up here. The economic system has been set up now that most of us are wage slaves, and simply trying to hop around without making your voice heard isn't going to work. We're a democracy/federal republic and an engaged citizenry is required to keep things balanced. As this shows, things most certainly aren't balanced anymore, even in good times.
wealth_chart.png

Are you working as a small overworked cog in a game dev? That's what this discussion is about.
You were replying to someone who was making a generalized comment about quitting and finding a job though. And you made a fairly generalized response that far exceeded talking about game developers, "ANY technology field", that was incredibly dismissive of the risks associated with switching jobs + moving.

That job isn't going to let you stay for 40 years and retire.,,,,
Neither the person you replied to originally nor myself said it would so this is a strawman on your part to try and deflect from your earlier awful comments which was all about downplaying the risks and difficulties of moving and switching jobs in the current economic conditions.

I have changed careers several times myself. Went bankrupt once and almost again a second time. Sometimes you have to move in with some friends with your kid and start over to make a better life for yourself. That's life dude.
The current exploitative working conditions in the game industry, or throughout most of the US, have nothing to do with some nebulous fact of life that no one can do anything about though. They're a created economic environment designed to maximize profit at the expense of labor even if that requires bending or breaking the law for the benefit of a few who are usually already rich.

It wasn't all that far in the past, the 70's or so, that wasn't true so don't say otherwise or suggest that it is impossible or somehow immoral to make it so that labor is treated better in general.

Just gonna put this up here. The economic system has been set up now that most of us are wage slaves, and simply trying to hop around without making your voice heard isn't going to work. We're a democracy/federal republic and an engaged citizenry is required to keep things balanced. As this shows, things most certainly aren't balanced anymore, even in good times.

So..... Obama did a horrible job, and screwed up everything? Hahaha.... too bad everyone behind him did the same.

Obama hasn't been a very good president but he has gotten very little done thanks to Congress which has blocked most of his proposed reforms which has essentially maintained the status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back