• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

Most phone companies lock their phones down tight, Samsung was really the last ones to give us free reign. Lets hope this is not the case.
 
Most phone companies lock their phones down tight, Samsung was really the last ones to give us free reign. Lets hope this is not the case.

Correction - Most US phone companies lock their phones, due to the anti-consumer practices protected by FCC.
 
It's quite apparent you have zero clue who Dan Rosenberg is and what's he's done in the past otherwise you never would have posted such nonsense

I had Geohot in mind when I wrote that, and honestly I don't care who Dan Rosenberg is. If he's not RELEASING the hack, then who cares? Release it when it's ready to release. I'm not going to celebrate some dude claiming to have hacked it. Good for him.
 
I had Geohot in mind when I wrote that, and honestly I don't care who Dan Rosenberg is. If he's not RELEASING the hack, then who cares? Release it when it's ready to release. I'm not going to celebrate some dude claiming to have hacked it. Good for him.

A few days ago we found out the GS4 had a locked and encrypted bootloader and there was a lot of concern if it would ever get unlocked. It took months for the VZW bootloader to be unlocked.

Trust me, this is big news.
 
If that's true, then that's a pretty bad strategy. If anyone ever has the inkling to unlock their bootloader or root their phone, they're just going to Google it, find a forum sticky somewhere (likely XDA) with this expoit and follow the five or so steps to rooting/unlocking their phone.

5 or so steps is enough to stop 99% of the public, and the simple threat that you void your warranty. And that is all they need. Its not a bad strategy at all because its been working quite well for them for a very long time. And once upon a time we though that other nations had it better but it seems that even those nations are slowly moving to our system not us moving to theirs.

And as long as 99% of your audience doesn't know that reduces interest and that means less development for custom roms, less people interested in stock phones, less people trying to uninstall your bloatware.
 
5 or so steps is enough to stop 99% of the public, and the simple threat that you void your warranty. And that is all they need.
Just buy cellphone insurance that covers rooted devices...
 
like 99% of the public knows that exists get out more changed.
 
So no one else has distortion listening to music with headphones?
 
GTFO fanboy. GS4 is way more of an upgrade than Apple's latest.

Ninja edit? I would really like to read how incoherent the first post was.

I own a GNOTE2 and owned an SGS3 before that. Learn to read. I'm not a fanboy of either side. Just pointing out hypocrites when I see it. Like you.
 
I had Geohot in mind when I wrote that, and honestly I don't care who Dan Rosenberg is. If he's not RELEASING the hack, then who cares? Release it when it's ready to release. I'm not going to celebrate some dude claiming to have hacked it. Good for him.

LMAO

Thanks for proving my point. You can go away now because you're simply wasting space in this thread.

"I don't care who Dan Rosenberg is" - dandragonrage

That's so going in my sig. I thought being called an "asshole" by a girl (under her breath as she was hanging up) on a help desk was the best part of my day today. You just proved me wrong. Thanks for the laugh.
 
I wanted nothing. Just pointing out the same crap that Android fanboys have been calling Apple users for their "#S" Moniker for their iterative phone.

It's hilarious when it happens for Android its "alright".

Apple kept its same "design cues" but upgraded everything internally, yet get bashed by Android fanboys. How hypocritical.

You're generalizing. Not everyone feels this way. I applauded Apple for keeping the same body for 2-3 years, as it helped with accessory compatibility for those who upgraded annually.

Also, too many people assume that the body style dictates how much of an upgrade the device is. Everyone thought the iPhone 3Gs to 4 was a bigger update than the 4 - 4s. Sure, the 4 introduced the retina display, but it had the same damn CPU and GPU (clocked slightly higher). The 4s was the larger upgrade, internally.

Same thing here. The Galaxy S3 was not a HUGE upgrade over the S2 internally, but it looked different. The S4 is a much larger update internally, but has a similar design. So naturally, the uneducated call it a S3s.
 
You're generalizing. Not everyone feels this way. I applauded Apple for keeping the same body for 2-3 years, as it helped with accessory compatibility for those who upgraded annually.

Also, too many people assume that the body style dictates how much of an upgrade the device is. Everyone thought the iPhone 3Gs to 4 was a bigger update than the 4 - 4s. Sure, the 4 introduced the retina display, but it had the same damn CPU and GPU (clocked slightly higher). The 4s was the larger upgrade, internally.

Same thing here. The Galaxy S3 was not a HUGE upgrade over the S2 internally, but it looked different. The S4 is a much larger update internally, but has a similar design. So naturally, the uneducated call it a S3s.

As I said, it's still doing the same thing that Apple does. But whilst one gets praised, the other doesn't. Hence the hypocrisy. Now I am not a fanboy of either side. I've owned iPhones and now I'm on Android (Coming from GS3 to GNote 2). Just calling it how I see it.

And the uneducated comment, rofl?
 
As I said, it's still doing the same thing that Apple does. But whilst one gets praised, the other doesn't. Hence the hypocrisy. Now I am not a fanboy of either side. I've owned iPhones and now I'm on Android (Coming from GS3 to GNote 2). Just calling it how I see it.

Then you are clearly blind. You called me a hypocrite when I treated both companies the same.
 
Then you are clearly blind. You called me a hypocrite when I treated both companies the same.

Actually, I didn't call you a hypocrite specifically, just the rabid android fanboys (in general) that bash Apple for no reason. I guess I wasn't being clear in that post.
 
Actually, I didn't call you a hypocrite specifically, just the rabid android fanboys (in general) that bash Apple for no reason. I guess I wasn't being clear in that post.
In case you haven't noticed, Medion loves to call people names and then turn it around on you saying that you called him names...

So, best to just ignore him.

He supposedly contacted a known Samsung shill and then vouched for the shill... Honestly, Medion is probably doing a very good job as a Samsung employee...

Next thing he'll say is how you love to have the last word...

P.S. Convincing yourself that the S3 and the S4 aren't that similar to each other is just a load of hypocrisy. Sure, it's a tiny bit better than the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S in that the dimensions aren't exactly the same, but at least iPhone accessories lasts 2 generations. Samsung probably would will outsell all other android oems even if they did. Samsung dominates on marketing.
 
LMAO

Thanks for proving my point. You can go away now because you're simply wasting space in this thread.

"I don't care who Dan Rosenberg is" - dandragonrage

That's so going in my sig. I thought being called an "asshole" by a girl (under her breath as she was hanging up) on a help desk was the best part of my day today. You just proved me wrong. Thanks for the laugh.

Go for it bro. I don't mind at all. Make me a t-shirt with the quote on it and I'll wear it - heck, make the t-shirt bright pink if you want to. You are so out of touch with reality. If you seriously think the measure of a person is knowing who some random phone hacker is, then you have a lot to learn about life. If you really think being super involved in the 'world of Android' is so important, you are missing out on life.

Regardless of who he is (I didn't say I don't know, by the way - pick up a dictionary and note that 'care' and 'know' have different meanings) it's useless for him to publicize himself without releasing anything. All it does is give the carriers notification that their phones need to be patched in advance. He should keep his mouth shut until it's released. There's no benefit to releasing information ahead of time.
 
Last edited:
Really. The one who figured out and released the Motochopper root method and you don't care huh? Well, it's true that it doesn't matter nobodies "don't care" about that.
 
Most of the reviews I read say that TouchWiz drags the hardware of the S4 down. Its hard to believe TouchWiz has seen almost no visual improvements since Gingerbread, it looks really dated now. Sense at least goes through some overhaul in each version.
 
Most of the reviews I read say that TouchWiz drags the hardware of the S4 down. Its hard to believe TouchWiz has seen almost no visual improvements since Gingerbread, it looks really dated now. Sense at least goes through some overhaul in each version.

I agree. If you think Apple has been dragging their feet with iOS's look, Touchwiz is honestly worse. You have Gingerbread style doodads everywhere and it's ugly.
 
Go for it bro. I don't mind at all. Make me a t-shirt with the quote on it and I'll wear it - heck, make the t-shirt bright pink if you want to. You are so out of touch with reality. If you seriously think the measure of a person is knowing who some random phone hacker is, then you have a lot to learn about life. If you really think being super involved in the 'world of Android' is so important, you are missing out on life.

Regardless of who he is (I didn't say I don't know, by the way - pick up a dictionary and note that 'care' and 'know' have different meanings) it's useless for him to publicize himself without releasing anything. All it does is give the carriers notification that their phones need to be patched in advance. He should keep his mouth shut until it's released. There's no benefit to releasing information ahead of time.

So let me get this straight.

I'm out of touch because I pay attention to the Android community and who makes the most contributions to the community? Where did I ever say the measure of somebody is who they know? I simply responded to your foolish comment about Rosenberg.

You're posting in a tech forum about mobile phones, in the Galaxy S 4 thread saying you don't care who Rosenberg is in response to a post about Rosenberg cracking the bootloader on the S4.

Yeah, I'm the one out of touch. :rolleyes:

Rosenberg posting a picture doesn't help AT&T or Verizon. Please enlighten us on how a picture helps them? Oh wait it doesn't because the carriers have zero clue what the exploit is. Tell me how is Verizon going to patch their unreleased S4? Only way is a same day OTA. So ignore the OTA and wait for the exploit to be released. Rosenberg could probably release the exploit now and nothing would change. Instead he's chosen to wait in order to give more people time to unlock before the carriers do send an OTA to fix the exploit.

Bottom line is AT&T and Verizon customers can buy the SGS4 and actually do what they want to with THEIR property and Rosenberg is again responsible for that.

Oh and the benefit from him releasing that picture is so people who pay attention to the Android community and care about which device they buy are informed that those devices will be unlocked. This is especially helpful for those on Verizon who can only pre-order at the moment.

Really. The one who figured out and released the Motochopper root method and you don't care huh? Well, it's true that it doesn't matter nobodies "don't care" about that.

Don't forget unlocked Motorola's bootloaders and I do believe he was responsible for Motofail. Not to mention all the other exploits for Linux, Windows Phone 8, and other things he finds. His security blog is a good read.

Most of the reviews I read say that TouchWiz drags the hardware of the S4 down. Its hard to believe TouchWiz has seen almost no visual improvements since Gingerbread, it looks really dated now. Sense at least goes through some overhaul in each version.

Yeah, the GB looking stuff is pretty crappy. Chainfire lit up TouchWiz pretty good yesterday. He was definitely not impressed. Neither was Steve Kondik who's SGS4 stayed on TouchWiz for maybe 2-3 hours. lol
 
Last week when I was saying this things, I was a biased hater... LOL... Apologies accepted.
 
To those who are bitching about touchwiz being this or that, you do know that you do NOT have to use TW. Go into App manager and stop then clear the TW apk data. Once you go back to your home screen you will be asked on what launcher to use.

Or the hell with that just goto the play store or some forum and get a custom launcher and be good.

Its all about choice and you do have a choice on what launcher to use. I am not defending TW but we all have a choice on what launcher to use. All of which have their pro's and con's.

Make the choice and use whats best for YOUR NEEDS/WANTS.
 
To those who are bitching about touchwiz being this or that, you do know that you do NOT have to use TW. Go into App manager and stop then clear the TW apk data. Once you go back to your home screen you will be asked on what launcher to use.

Or the hell with that just goto the play store or some forum and get a custom launcher and be good.

Its all about choice and you do have a choice on what launcher to use. I am not defending TW but we all have a choice on what launcher to use. All of which have their pro's and con's.

Make the choice and use whats best for YOUR NEEDS/WANTS.

While a custom launcher helps a lot, that only fixes a small part of TW. There's still the horrible (tabbed) dialer/contacts app, horribly layed out (tabbed) settings menu, a lot of useless featuers embedded into the ROM that you can't remove, the gaudy notification bar/menus, and at least a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. To "fix" all of that, you pretty much have to root/ROM the phone.

What annoys me the most about it is that it flys in the face of the Holo theme and functionality (swiping) of stock Android. I hate that I can't just swipe between tabs the the phone/contacts app, settings and browser. That's just a blatant oversight.
 
Seems CM10 is already on the T-Mo varient ... cant wait for the local stores to get em in stock so I can get one now ...
 
Pretty much, gotta wait till wed to go get one from the local store, maybe ill try calling up T-Mo and placing an order and see when it would arrive before then tomorrow....

Dam i cant wait, big upgrade from a G.nex
 
After playing with the phone I have to call into question the reviews saying that touchwiz is bringing down the phone any. It felt exactly like the one.

The contacts list is terrible though, don't mind so much the dialer, rest of the phone I didn't have a problem.

Oh it already has CM10? To hell with it, seems like the dev community is already all over it.
 
I'm flattered that I'm constantly on your mind.

He supposedly contacted a known Samsung shill and then vouched for the shill... Honestly, Medion is probably doing a very good job as a Samsung employee...

Never happened. Link to the post or it never happened.
 
What annoys me the most about it is that it flys in the face of the Holo theme and functionality (swiping) of stock Android. I hate that I can't just swipe between tabs the the phone/contacts app, settings and browser. That's just a blatant oversight.

I'm starting to see this myself. When my SGS2 was updated to ICS, I applauded how Samsung kept the Holo UI under Touchwiz so that most apps used it, even parts of Touchwiz. Now that I've been updated to Nature UX on Jelly Bean, it seems those weren't intentional, so much as holes in the UI that Samsung hadn't finished. There are aspects of TW that I like, and it is definitely a robust UI on my SGS2. However, it's clearly outdated when held up next to stock Android these days.
 
On my GS3, TouchWiz wasn't so bad. In fact some of the things it has are quite nice and it was definitely much lighter than Sense on the HTC One X. Apps like the music and video player in TW are really good.

I have tried many roms, TW as well as AOSP, and any speed differences are minimal. These phones have 1-2GB ram, nothing is slow.

But unless we get an official port, AOSP will never ever be as functional as the native rom. Some people don't mind random reboots, or losing features that depend on custom drivers, sensors etc. so e.g. BT, gps etc often take longer to work.

This is purely Googles fault since Android is never built to run on multiple phones, and it's upto the oem to do the work, Sony does it, nobody else bothers with AOSP. I wonder how long it'll take to get a working KLP port on any phone other than Nexus 5.
 
.

This is purely Googles fault since Android is never built to run on multiple phones, and it's upto the oem to do the work, Sony does it, nobody else bothers with AOSP. I wonder how long it'll take to get a working KLP port on any phone other than Nexus 5.

If an OEM uses Windows Phone, the have to use components specified by Microsoft. This way there are no OS compatibility issues. With Android, the OEM can either use the same components that Google is developing for, or they can source their own components for cost efficiency, performance, or any other reason. If that's the case, they need to make Android work on it.

Android wasn't designed so that one phone could outsell the iPhone. When Apple muscled their way into the market, every other smartphone paled in comparison. The big OEMS, like HTC and Samsung, had no way of making an OS comparable to Apple at the time. Android was meant as a compatibility layer. It would allow OEMs to make their own devices, but with the same underlying OS, could ensure app compatibility. This would give them all an ecosystem similar to Apple's App store.

The fundamental flaw with those who complain about Android phones not being updated is that people often fail to understand that these phones can't be on the latest OS at all times. The OS is open-source. When it's released, it takes time to be adapted to other devices. At the time of an Android OS release, the OS is already using an outdated Linux kernel, but few complain about that. The only way that this can change is if Google makes it a closed OS, and withholds the Nexus firmware until most OEMs/carriers are done testing, giving us the same type of update situation as Windows Phone.
 
The fundamental flaw with those who complain about Android phones not being updated is that people often fail to understand that these phones can't be on the latest OS at all times. The OS is open-source. When it's released, it takes time to be adapted to other devices. At the time of an Android OS release, the OS is already using an outdated Linux kernel, but few complain about that. The only way that this can change is if Google makes it a closed OS, and withholds the Nexus firmware until most OEMs/carriers are done testing, giving us the same type of update situation as Windows Phone.

People who whine about lack of Android updates for phones after a year or whatever need to realize that to 99% of users it does not matter. At all. Even a tiny little bit. Very few know or care what version they're on. And most of those that do care are the type of people to upgrade phones often anyway.
 
Android is free source. Google (and Sony) releases code to no one until they are done. Google typically releases them around May and November every year. Google doesn't do a RTM periods because they don't believe it's open... Which is kind of ironic because it wasn't open to begin with. If android were truly open source, then oem's would be up to date on every little changes Google makes. But would you like it if Google put a RTM period for manufacturers to catch up and test their drivers? I'm kind of split on that coming from a development point of view.
 
If android were truly open source, then oem's would be up to date on every little changes Google makes.

So an open source developer who doesn't check in his/her changes until they're satisfied with them isn't a true open source developer to you? An open source project does not have to be based around a rolling release model. Most do have versions.
 
Back
Top