• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....


Yep. Verizon's will most likely be the same as well. Dan Rosenberg said RSA-2048 bit encryption. Probably not going to find a hack like the recent one he found on the Motorola bootloaders.

Show your disgust with this with your wallet people!

After buying a while lot of games my gs2 16 GB with 32 GB microSD, I ran out of space very quickly. There is only so much data you can move off to SD. My sd card had like more than 20 GB free with my internal memory at ~300 MB. I can't even get updates sometimes, "insufficient memory." I had to go to the system app manager and let it do its thing for a couple of minutes till it gave me more memory after running, and if that still didn't work, i had to make the tough decision to uninstall an app.

Yep. More and more apps are setting the internalOnly flag in their manifest as well. Apps with widgets should be setting that to begin with as well so the widgets actually function. 16GB may be enough for some people but when you get ~4GB of irremovable (for normal Joe Average User) bloat something needs to give.
 
Yep. Verizon's will most likely be the same as well. Dan Rosenberg said RSA-2048 bit encryption. Probably not going to find a hack like the recent one he found on the Motorola bootloaders.

Show your disgust with this with your wallet people!



Yep. More and more apps are setting the internalOnly flag in their manifest as well. Apps with widgets should be setting that to begin with as well so the widgets actually function. 16GB may be enough for some people but when you get ~4GB of irremovable (for normal Joe Average User) bloat something needs to give.
Wow. When Samsung used to "lock" bootloaders, I remember them doing it without encryption. The fact that they are encrypting them now is a huge disappointment.
 
With Koush using a One, I'm thinking that development on that would likely be superior this time around. Koush also has an agenda against Samsung for not being open.

But if I were getting a custom rom, the S4 would most likely run it better. It would also make most of those Samsung sensors and features useless. I still wouldn't buy it until the 32 GB version is released. But the HTC One is cheaper and better built... No idea.

P.S. I wonder about overclocking on both phones. It looks like the same cpu but Samsung clocked it higher. As for RAM, Samsung obviously is superior. However, I doubt that the bottleneck is the RAM.

P.P.S. a free meal always tastes better. I was given the One for free. So i might be biased, and I'll admit it.
 
The One would interest me more if it weren't one of the least repairable phones ever made. Screw you, HTC. I'll take Samsung plastic and locked-bootloader shit over an unrepairable phone (and besides, I prefer extended batteries) any day. Especially when HTC batteries suck compared to other brands.
 
Wow. When Samsung used to "lock" bootloaders, I remember them doing it without encryption. The fact that they are encrypting them now is a huge disappointment.

I have a feeling this was AT&T's doing and not Samsung's. Samsung doesn't want to alienate the enthusiast market since we're the ones that pushed all our friends to the SGS3. We know SGS3 on Verizon was Verizon's doing and not Samsung.

However, I am worried that Samsung agreed to such a crazy ass encryption. Not only is is an RSA-2048 but it authenticates the boot image and recovery image before executing. I don't know if there will ever be a way around that one.

With Koush using a One, I'm thinking that development on that would likely be superior this time around. Koush also has an agenda against Samsung for not being open.

But if I were getting a custom rom, the S4 would most likely run it better. It would also make most of those Samsung sensors and features useless. I still wouldn't buy it until the 32 GB version is released. But the HTC One is cheaper and better built... No idea.

P.S. I wonder about overclocking on both phones. It looks like the same cpu but Samsung clocked it higher. As for RAM, Samsung obviously is superior. However, I doubt that the bottleneck is the RAM.

P.P.S. a free meal always tastes better. I was given the One for free. So i might be biased, and I'll admit it.

The One is a superior device. If I could get it on Verizon's network and unlock it I'd ditch my GNex in a heart beat.
 
Don't much care if the bootloader is locked. Expected it to be so. However the phones already been rooted and it's quite easy to do. So i'm happy.
 
Unfortunately, you can flash custom ROMs with just root. It's all rather disheartening that Samsung is going backwards with this.
 
Unfortunately, you can flash custom ROMs with just root. It's all rather disheartening that Samsung is going backwards with this.

I planned on running this on Tmobile, I hope their's wont be locked either.

Sad to see ATT start to go the way of Verizon.
 
I planned on running this on Tmobile, I hope their's wont be locked either.

Sad to see ATT start to go the way of Verizon.

Apparently not only is the T-Mobile version not bootloader locked, their phones support AT&T's LTE frequencies.
 
T-Mobile is the most 'friendly' carrier around these days. I'm betting the Sprint version will be unlocked, and the Verizon one, of course, will be locked.

Someone in another thread said Sense on HTC One is much faster than TouchWiz 5. Another reason I'm disappointed as a GS3 owner who was looking forward to the GS4. TouchWiz looks exactly like Gingerbread.
 
T-Mobile is the most 'friendly' carrier around these days. I'm betting the Sprint version will be unlocked, and the Verizon one, of course, will be locked.

Sprint version is unlocked as some people have used Chainfire's root method successfully.
 
Just got my tmobile one today. Replacing my nexus 4

Some initial thoughts

Touch wiz suckkkkks, you can just tell it's bogging the phone down.
Build is still plastic and all that, but it fits much nicer in my hand then the s3 and looks much more polished.
Screen is gorgeous, I'm a little biased towards the over saturated colors, but it is still stunning.
Speaker isn't as great as an HTC one, but it is at least audible compared to the crap low volume ones on the nexus 4 and S3

Hopefully I can get stock Android on this bad boy soon :)
 
Sprint version is unlocked? oOo. Didn't know that! I have an extra on sale on Ebay right now, so I need to update that listing.

I'm only saying that some people have claimed that they unlocked it using CF-Auto-root which requires an unlocked bootloader.


Also, waiting for confirmation from users that the T-Mobile one is bootloader unlocked.
 
So people are enjoying the Samsung Galaxy S3S? I'm a gnote 2 owner but its hilarious reading things online about people praising the phone when Samsung clearly followed the Apple mindset.
 
So people are enjoying the Samsung Galaxy S3S? I'm a gnote 2 owner but its hilarious reading things online about people praising the phone when Samsung clearly followed the Apple mindset.

What more did you want? They literally upgraded every aspect of the phone. It's a "3s" because they kept the same design cues? Really?

There are plenty of reasons to knock the SGS4. Being a "minor" upgrade isn't one of them.
 
Anyone else getting distortion and static when you listen to music with headphones? It's not a lot but it's definitely there for me :(
 
Loved reading a few posts tonight on G+ by Steve Kondik about his new T-Mobile SGS4.

Seems like they scan for any change to the system. Steve rooted and installed Busybox and can no longer get any updates. That's shitty since that means no more security updates for YOUR device even if you remain stock.

Not to mention Steve made mention of the system scanning for things like a SU binary and apps running as root that aren't in a whitelist.

Can I be the first to say "Fuck you and your SGS4 Samsung"?
 
Loved reading a few posts tonight on G+ by Steve Kondik about his new T-Mobile SGS4.

Seems like they scan for any change to the system. Steve rooted and installed Busybox and can no longer get any updates. That's shitty since that means no more security updates for YOUR device even if you remain stock.

Not to mention Steve made mention of the system scanning for things like a SU binary and apps running as root that aren't in a whitelist.

Can I be the first to say "Fuck you and your SGS4 Samsung"?
careful... For speaking truth you might be labeled crazy Samsung hater.
 
That's shitty since that means no more security updates for YOUR device even if you remain stock.

Just an FYI, most phones have been like this. My HTC Incredible on Verizon would give you the update notification popup every 30 minutes if you were rooted, but would not perform the update. Your options were:
  • deal with it
  • unroot and update
  • flash the RUU, which would update and unroot you
  • flash an updated build.prop which would fake the update server into thinking that you had the update
  • wait for a custom rooted rom based on the new update

As for my SGS2, if rooted, Kies won't detect it properly, so you're stuck with ODIN for updates instead of OTA/Kies. And if you use Odin for an official update, you lose root. So yea, root has pretty much blocked official updates on every non-Nexus phone I'm aware of. I don't even know how Nexus devices handle it because I have yet to own one.
 
What more did you want? They literally upgraded every aspect of the phone. It's a "3s" because they kept the same design cues? Really?

There are plenty of reasons to knock the SGS4. Being a "minor" upgrade isn't one of them.

I wanted nothing. Just pointing out the same crap that Android fanboys have been calling Apple users for their "#S" Moniker for their iterative phone.

It's hilarious when it happens for Android its "alright".

Apple kept its same "design cues" but upgraded everything internally, yet get bashed by Android fanboys. How hypocritical.
 
I wanted nothing. Just pointing out the same crap that Android fanboys have been calling Apple users for their "#S" Moniker for their iterative phone.

It's hilarious when it happens for Android its "alright".

Apple kept its same "design cues" but upgraded everything internally, yet get bashed by Android fanboys. How hypocritical.

Except the GS4 has some of its exterior changed as well (unlike the minute differences of the 4 -> 4S). The larger 1080p screen for one, larger battery, "chrome" band, etc. If you think the 4 -> 4S has the same amount of changes (internal and external designs) as the GS3->GS4 then you are really a "fanboy".
 
careful... For speaking truth you might be labeled crazy Samsung hater.

Yeah, yeah I know. I don't care though. What Samsung is doing now is complete and total bullshit.

Just an FYI, most phones have been like this. My HTC Incredible on Verizon would give you the update notification popup every 30 minutes if you were rooted, but would not perform the update. Your options were:
  • deal with it
  • unroot and update
  • flash the RUU, which would update and unroot you
  • flash an updated build.prop which would fake the update server into thinking that you had the update
  • wait for a custom rooted rom based on the new update

As for my SGS2, if rooted, Kies won't detect it properly, so you're stuck with ODIN for updates instead of OTA/Kies. And if you use Odin for an official update, you lose root. So yea, root has pretty much blocked official updates on every non-Nexus phone I'm aware of. I don't even know how Nexus devices handle it because I have yet to own one.

Yes, I know that but you're missing the point. Previously you would still get the OTA download. Yes, it wouldn't install or if you did it via Kies you lose root, but you could still get it. People like you and me can easily take that download and modify the package to allow it to install. So we still get the update.

However, now that is not possible. Sure, the Android community will find the package and make it safe to install but in this case it's the principal. Samsung should not be denying users access to the software update. Make it so the update doesn't install, fine. That's legit because Samsung doesn't want to be responsible for bricking a device, but you NEVER stop somebody from getting access to the security update.

Cyanogen said:
This would be like Windows blocking ALL updates if you dropped something in a system folder.

We would never let Microsoft or Apple get away with that so why does Samsung get a pass?

Not to mention the whole comment from Cyanogen about how the system was literally scanning for SU binaries or apps running at root and weren't in a whitelist. Who the fuck are they to watch what I install?

I wanted nothing. Just pointing out the same crap that Android fanboys have been calling Apple users for their "#S" Moniker for their iterative phone.

It's hilarious when it happens for Android its "alright".

Apple kept its same "design cues" but upgraded everything internally, yet get bashed by Android fanboys. How hypocritical.

Actually I see quite a lot of bashing the S4. Incremental upgrade over the S3 and many are choosing the HTC One over the S4.

Hell I'm watching Chainfire bash TouchWiz on the S4 on Twitter right now.

ChainfireXDA said:
Who says Samsung doesn't innovate? This is the most horrible incarnation of TouchWiz yet - far beyond the point where even I can defend it.

ChainfireXDA said:
The colorscheme apparently wants to kill me with rainbows and seems to be aimed at teenage Korean girls. Android 1.x style tabs everywhere.
 
LOL... I wonder how many people will still call me a biased fanboy or Samsung hater when Cyanogen, Koush, and Chainfire all agreed with me. Hilarity! Call them haters or fanboys, please!

Actually Koush is kind of a hater... Read his post about how Samsung stabbed developers in the back.

P.S. HTC no longer required S-Off to load custom recovery on the One. So even with S-On, you can pretty much do everything.
 
Rosenberg never ceases to amaze. Times like this makes you wonder why the carriers even bother doing all this bullshit.

Only a matter of time until Rosenberg releases more information. He always does.
Probably going to wait for the VZW release so the fuckers don't delay it or fix it at the last second. It must have been something relatively obvious to a security guy if he found a workaround in just days
 
Nice that it got hacked, but it strikes me as really, really stupid to announce the hack so early. What if they patch it ASAP? Then your buddy just did everyone a disservice just to gather publicity... I don't see the point to releasing any information about a hack before you just release the hack. All it does is give the manufacturer time to plug the hole. Yeah dude, you're awesome. :rolleyes:

I have no interest in soft launches from this dude any more than I have interest in soft launches from Nvidia, AMD or Intel, etc.
 
Nice that it got hacked, but it strikes me as really, really stupid to announce the hack so early. What if they patch it ASAP? Then your buddy just did everyone a disservice just to gather publicity... I don't see the point to releasing any information about a hack before you just release the hack. All it does is give the manufacturer time to plug the hole. Yeah dude, you're awesome. :rolleyes:

I have no interest in soft launches from this dude any more than I have interest in soft launches from Nvidia, AMD or Intel, etc.
He didn't release the hack yet.

Just a screenshot showing him booting into recovery
 
Nice that it got hacked, but it strikes me as really, really stupid to announce the hack so early. What if they patch it ASAP? Then your buddy just did everyone a disservice just to gather publicity... I don't see the point to releasing any information about a hack before you just release the hack. All it does is give the manufacturer time to plug the hole. Yeah dude, you're awesome. :rolleyes:

I have no interest in soft launches from this dude any more than I have interest in soft launches from Nvidia, AMD or Intel, etc.

It's quite apparent you have zero clue who Dan Rosenberg is and what's he's done in the past otherwise you never would have posted such nonsense.

I am now back on the S4 bandwagon.

Me too provided HTC One never hits Big Red. S4 while incremental over S3 would be a huge step up from my GNex.
 
Rosenberg never ceases to amaze. Times like this makes you wonder why the carriers even bother doing all this bullshit.

Only a matter of time until Rosenberg releases more information. He always does.

The carriers don't care if the most savvy users hack their machines, the locked phones stop 99% of the public from ever doing anything, and mainly all they want todo is force you to keep their crappy GPS replacement on their so they can con some small number of people into paying for it, or getting addicted to certain layouts and programs so they stick with a particular phone.
 
In this case though, Rosenberg also said it was from a leak confirming what he also said earlier about how this locked bootloader will only be unlocked via leak since Samsung has plugged the exploit holes.


In other words, we're lucky this time.
 
The carriers don't care if the most savvy users hack their machines, the locked phones stop 99% of the public from ever doing anything, and mainly all they want todo is force you to keep their crappy GPS replacement on their so they can con some small number of people into paying for it, or getting addicted to certain layouts and programs so they stick with a particular phone.

And that same 99% wouldn't care if it was encrypted or just simply locked like a Nexus device. They would still buy the crappy GPS replacement and everything else. Encrypting is pointless. Those who want to hack it will find a way. The carriers are just wasting their time.
 
The carriers don't care if the most savvy users hack their machines, the locked phones stop 99% of the public from ever doing anything.

If that's true, then that's a pretty bad strategy. If anyone ever has the inkling to unlock their bootloader or root their phone, they're just going to Google it, find a forum sticky somewhere (likely XDA) with this expoit and follow the five or so steps to rooting/unlocking their phone.
 
Back
Top