Galaxy Note II screen latency?

Im not trolling, but does any of this really matter in your every day use of a phone?
 
Im not trolling, but does any of this really matter in your every day use of a phone?

Yes. When I need to rapidly dial a number, it lags behind by 1 or 2 digits and trips me up. The keyboard has unsuable input lag and makes you type slowly one character at a time in many input boxes where it slows down.
 
Yes. When I need to rapidly dial a number, it lags behind by 1 or 2 digits and trips me up. The keyboard has unsuable input lag and makes you type slowly one character at a time in many input boxes where it slows down.

Stock ROMs and kernel settings at work, probably presuming nothing else is at work....generally the GPU's throttle up load percentage point is way to high, same for the CPU. I can type as fast as I want on my N2, faster than I can mentally keep track of what number I dialed, and not lag.
 
Again I suspect different hardware being used in different devices. The video I posted above is the amount of input lag I have seen on the Note and Note 2 universally across the OS.
 
This is the kind of input lag I see on the Note and Note 2. Other phones are way better than this but still lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDwtdqmjCnE

I downloaded that exact game on my Note 2 and though there is a bit of latency between my finger and the paddle, it was nowhere near that amount. Probably 1/4 of what that Note 1 is displaying there. I'd say maybe 100ms lag or so in that game on my N2. Response seems to be much faster outside of the game though. Like here in the (stock, not Chrome) browser if I quickly move my finger back and forth (like Chris Perillo did in that video OP posted earlier), it pretty much keeps up with my finger, definitely < 50ms. A lot of other games seem to be better too than in that hockey game.
 
Guess that pretty much confirms all phones are not using the same hardware / touchscreen firmware. I wish there was a way to hack the touchscreen firmware and reduce the amount of filtering.
 
This is the kind of input lag I see on the Note and Note 2. Other phones are way better than this but still lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDwtdqmjCnE

The original post here concerned the Note 2. You posting videos on the Note 1 is not really relevant as the two devices have completely different hardware. Also you readily admit, the device you use at work is a Note 1. Again not really relevant to this discussion. Oh yes, you claim to have "used" your co-workers Note 2 but I would wager your time with the device has been limited and you have very colored pre-conceptions on the device.

I on the other hand actually do own a Note 2 and use it everyday (hence my input is actually relevant to the discussion here) and I do not notice any lag or anything remotely approaching the "atrocious" level of lag you mention. "Smashing it against the wall"? You're funny. Send me your address. I want to mail you your official Captain Hyperbole badge. I'll make it whatever color you like.
 
The original post here concerned the Note 2. You posting videos on the Note 1 is not really relevant as the two devices have completely different hardware. Also you readily admit, the device you use at work is a Note 1. Again not really relevant to this discussion. Oh yes, you claim to have "used" your co-workers Note 2 but I would wager your time with the device has been limited and you have very colored pre-conceptions on the device.

I on the other hand actually do own a Note 2 and use it everyday (hence my input is actually relevant to the discussion here) and I do not notice any lag or anything remotely approaching the "atrocious" level of lag you mention. "Smashing it against the wall"? You're funny. Send me your address. I want to mail you your official Captain Hyperbole badge. I'll make it whatever color you like.

The Note 2s I've used (both friends' and in the showroom) were actually way laggier than the the Note 1. Almost every Samsung device I've used that was produced after the Galaxy S II has way more lag than the SGS2. This includes the Note, SGS3, Note II and all the tablets.

I'm a mobile developer and I use several devices side by side. When I have an iPhone side by side with something like the Note and I pick up the Note and it doesn't scroll half as good as the technically obsolete phone I used 5 seconds ago my first thought is of extreme frustration. If I had to put it in words: WHAT THE #$*@ IS THIS *@&# !? HOW COULD THEY PRODUCE SUCH GARBAGE!? DO THEY NOT REALISE AFTER 5 FREAKING YEARS THAT THE INTERFACE LAGS AND THATS WHY THE IPHONE IS SUPERIOR?!
 
I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever with my Note 2, I'm not a developer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
 
The Note 2s I've used (both friends' and in the showroom) were actually way laggier than the the Note 1. Almost every Samsung device I've used that was produced after the Galaxy S II has way more lag than the SGS2. This includes the Note, SGS3, Note II and all the tablets.

I'm a mobile developer and I use several devices side by side. When I have an iPhone side by side with something like the Note and I pick up the Note and it doesn't scroll half as good as the technically obsolete phone I used 5 seconds ago my first thought is of extreme frustration. If I had to put it in words: WHAT THE #$*@ IS THIS *@&# !? HOW COULD THEY PRODUCE SUCH GARBAGE!? DO THEY NOT REALISE AFTER 5 FREAKING YEARS THAT THE INTERFACE LAGS AND THATS WHY THE IPHONE IS SUPERIOR?!

File this under "shit most people don't notice so manufacturers don't care". I notice some of this myself, however some of the Android phones are so bad that picking up a GS3 is a treat :)
 
Try change settings under settings>development>windows animation scale- to .5 from 1 and the same for Transition animation scale to .5 from 1. At least that's the fix on GSIII
 
Try change settings under settings>development>windows animation scale- to .5 from 1 and the same for Transition animation scale to .5 from 1. At least that's the fix on GSIII

You clearly don't even understand the problem. All that comes into play only AFTER the lag and when it's recognised your touch.
 
Hey, found your topic by googleing "Note 2 screen latency". Finally got to be registered and accepted on the forum to answer you. Sorry if i do some english mistakes, i'm french, but i'll do my best.

So yeah, thanks for your post, for sure, the IS a latency, and for those who don't get it : it's a delay between what you do and what you actually see. You can see it in any application, games, chrome, android browser, file browsing, desktop, application list... just every single thing, it's a global issue on the phone. I'm running @ stock, last update available, no tweak at all. The problem also occurs with the S-pen. So there is 3 possible reasons to that, from the less possible to the most possible (from what i think) :

- Screen input lag (the time the screen takes to decode/encode the picture and display it)
- Input smoothing, coming grom the tactile screen, and from the s-pen that introduces latency
- vsync, or/and frame pre rendering

The good question is : How to solve it ?! Didn't find any way to remove vsync in android 4.1.2, and anyway, it will for sure need me to root my phone, even if i wanted to stay stock this time, reason why i paid for such an expensive phone : to get good support.


Poeple who don't see that are just not sensitive or did not develop the ability to be sensitive to that for some reasons, or you're just used to it and think that this is a normal behaviour. For a phone that claims to be close to human beings, it's a shame that human feeling can feel its latency, not very natural.. -_-

I play a lot of FPS (shooting games), and i've become very sensitive to latency. Screen input lag, latency due to low framerate, or even and almost : vsync latency. I can even notice latencies of 1 frame @ 60hz (16ms). It's just that when you move your mouse, it feels smoothed, feels not to correspond to what you really do, you feel like your senses are screwed or you're tired, but no, it's just latency, that's why i got a 120hz screen with no iput lag and a 1ms input lag mouse, and i don't play any game if it's below 60fps minimum (prefer over 120 with a 120hz monitor for sure)

On the phone, it's just obvious : when you move your finger fast enough, you can see with your own eye that the things scrolling under your finger are following your finger, and not moving in the same time. Then there is a latency, and it's even more obvious on the video fimed @ 120fps that compares the Note 2 to the iPhone. I've been used to try managing and measuring low latencies (under 100ms) for gaming purpose, and as the latency here is really high, i can barely say how much it is, but it's for sure higher than 100ms but below 300ms.

So yes, there is a problem that needs to be solved for poeple who can notice it cause it's really annoying.
 
Don't know, but the latency on my SGS 1 was low enough for me, and lower than on the Note 2, so if it's a software issue, i would prefer to fix it. And for christ sake, i don't want an iphone, otherwise, i wounldn't own a Note 2.
 
Good question. I bough the Note 2 cause i wanted not to worry about the os anymore for a while so didn't try. Would be nice to know if some roms are better, or if maybe a kernel could solve the issue.
 
I do not notice any latency with the note 2 and I've had a bunch of iPhones as well and they all feel virtually the same in terms of input. I messed around with my iPhone 4 a few hours ago and I notice input latency pretty easily and I also use 120hz monitors as well and am able to know the difference.

So I really don't see it. Perhaps you and others as well have defective phones honestly.
 
Perhaps you have inferior senses honestly. Android input lag in the order of 100s of ms is a fact.
 
Um no. I've bought hardware that has low input latency for the very reason that I can tell the difference. And while there maybe a very small percentage of people that seem to believe otherwise between going from Galaxy Nexus which I upgraded to from an iPhone 4, the difference feels minimal at best. Actually on the note 2 as I use swype type this out I can see the line crossing with my finger on the screen and I do not see the line lagging behind as I swype or words.

Is the some latency on all smart phones from the use of touch screens? Of course but the note 2 feels virtually the same as any other.
 
OK, then if your Note 2 is that superior, make even a 30fps video of your Note 2, slow it down to 4 or 5fps, and show us...
I'm thinking in just asking Samsung about this issue.
 
Why are poeple trolling so much here ?
The problem isn't solved.

Probably because most (dim-witted) Note2 users (with "inferior senses honestly") don't notice that there is an "ATROCIOUS" problem to be "solved". The only people bitching about lag on the Note2 are in this thread, here, on [H]. There is no one discussing it on XDA, and no reviewer has mentioned it either. That is why "the problem isn't solved".

Try drinking less coffee, it'll make the world seem to lag less.
 
My Note 2 is buttery smooth & no lag anywhere. Must be an isolated incident. You know, this phone has sold millions & not a widespread problem for the masses.
 
Yes. When I need to rapidly dial a number, it lags behind by 1 or 2 digits and trips me up. The keyboard has unsuable input lag and makes you type slowly one character at a time in many input boxes where it slows down.

If you wanted to rapidly dial a number, you would be using a shortcut to that number...oh, wait.....
 
Probably because most (dim-witted) Note2 users (with "inferior senses honestly") don't notice that there is an "ATROCIOUS" problem to be "solved". The only people bitching about lag on the Note2 are in this thread, here, on [H]. There is no one discussing it on XDA, and no reviewer has mentioned it either. That is why "the problem isn't solved".

Try drinking less coffee, it'll make the world seem to lag less.

You made me laugh a little :)

Thank you for summing that up well.
 
You know how there are IE users that complain about their browser being slow, and half their screen is made of toolbars?

It's the equivalent of when people have 20 pages of apps.
 
All android phones / devices have the slight lag especially when scrolling. I have a note 10.1 which uses the same hardware as the note 2 and notice it. You do notice it more if you're used scrolling on an ios device. It's not a huge delay. Why do you think google started "project butter"? It didn't solve the problem but it did make a big difference.
 
If you wanted to rapidly dial a number, you would be using a shortcut to that number...oh, wait.....

This doesn't change the fact that the lag will often be present, and the dial pad is just an easy place to see it.
 
This doesn't change the fact that the lag will often be present, and the dial pad is just an easy place to see it.

but it just shows how silly the OP is.....lol speed dial with fingers is a fallacy as the machine can do it much faster than any of us could....lag or not..
 
Well guys, if you don't even notice a 100 to 200ms latency, i'm sorry for you, it's not a mater of coffee or anything, it's a mater of fingers, eyes, and brain. And those who are mistaking latency and laggy are just retarded, sorry.
 
Well guys, if you don't even notice a 100 to 200ms latency, i'm sorry for you, it's not a mater of coffee or anything, it's a mater of fingers, eyes, and brain. And those who are mistaking latency and laggy are just retarded, sorry.

If it isn't coffee, then I'd recommend less watching porn and jerking off....and more getting laid.

And problem still not solved.

You seem to expect bitching about this on [H] will magically get an "ATROCIOUS" "problem" fixed that not even professional reviewers saw.
 
Back
Top