Galaxy Note 7 shipments suspended over reports of exploding units

You get to keep it?

Yes. Turning it in wasn't a requirement.
I would recommended asking for a refund over the phone rather than walking into a store.

Samsung hasn't said anything about replacements etc. to the carriers.
I don't want to pay near retail for the now old S7 Edge. There's nothing Samsung can give me right now that can replace this phone.
Giving it to me free and clear, IMO, was the best course of action from my carrier. I'm able to buy whatever I want to replace it or assume the risk of using the phone on my own.

You're really seriously putting yourself in harms way. Hell, the phone frigging exploded while it was off on that southwest flight. I would just turn it in, get the refund, and find an old phone.

You're really seriously putting yourself in harms way. Hell, the phone frigging exploded while it was off on that southwest flight. I would just turn it in, get the refund, and find an old phone.

Let them be potential Darwin Award winners.

You can pry this Galaxy Note7 from my cold, possibly scorched hands

If it was me I'd be deathly scared about potential litigation against me. By deciding to ignore the recall if the phone explodes and hurts somebody else, does damage to say a table in a restaurant, or perhaps damages another airplane then it's all on you. So keep that in mind.

You get to keep it?

A friend of mine called T-Mo and they refunded what he paid on it so far, then told him he can "keep the phone as long as he needs" and they'll clear his balance on the phone when he returns it.

We are put in harms way when driving a car with hidden recalls that weren't announced because it hasn't killed enough people yet.
Or our foods with cancer causing chemicals and electronic radiation emitting from the wifi station.

There are things killing us right now as type but with a phone overheating with a less than 1% chance it unacceptable.

As in the post before, I already received my refund and bought an iPhone 7 in store last night. So I'm not using the N7 right now.
The Note 7 battery has been exhausted and kept in safe storage until Samsung offers the proper compensation for this craziness.
Just telling me to get a retail S7 is not good enough.

I can't apologize for being fearless.

A friend of mine called T-Mo and they refunded what he paid on it so far, then told him he can "keep the phone as long as he needs" and they'll clear his balance on the phone when he returns it.

They cleared my balance as well though. Probably just lucky.

I am hoping Samsung push a mandatory update to brick all the handsets to stop idiots using them past the recall. These phones pose a risk not only to you but everyone else especially on flights so wake up and hand the bloody thing in.

I am hoping Samsung push a mandatory update to brick all the handsets to stop idiots using them past the recall. These phones pose a risk not only to you but everyone else especially on flights so wake up and hand the bloody thing in.

I say this happens with 60 days. Too much potential liability (not to mention additional negative PR) to leave them floating around.

Well Damsung was willing to cut corners on their battery with one of their more profitable phone lines. This pretty much just cements me never buying anything from them outside of SSDs.

Well Damsung was willing to cut corners on their battery with one of their more profitable phone lines. This pretty much just cements me never buying anything from them outside of SSDs.

The always-spying smart-TVs weren't enough? :)

I hope so as well. Because the class action that will follow will ensure a replacement S8 or equivalent compensation will be awarded.
Don't suggest measures that you can't afford to do.

Seattle law firms says class action suit likely over Samsung Note 7 overheating

Sigh...
We are put in harms way when driving a car with hidden recalls that weren't announced because it hasn't killed enough people yet.
Or our foods with cancer causing chemicals and electronic radiation emitting from the wifi station.

There are things killing us right now as type but with a phone overheating with a less than 1% chance it unacceptable.

Look up fallacy of relative privation
List of fallacies - Wikipedia

One might as well say, since everyone will die anyways, why care about any safety?

The sheer number of actually known defective devices is literally a drop of water in an Olympic sized swimming pool at this point - just because it's a Note 7 does not mean it will actually end up having the same issues, there are just too many variables involved besides "oh, it has the same battery from the same plant" and "it's a Note 7 so it's going to explode."

Hell, I wish I had one myself at this point because I think it's a nice device - I have a Galaxy S7 Active which is the same damned hardware minus the stylus functionality and the retinal scanner (would be neat to mess around with that thing) - of course my Active has a larger battery and gets phenomenal battery life (2.5-3 days between charging) but even so, if anyone wants to donate a Note 7 just for shits and giggles let me know. :)

Seems like an awful waste of hardware when the actual number of actually defective devices appears to be well under a single percentage point so far. That's not to say any given Note 7 might exhibit problems at this point but even so I wouldn't mind having one.

This is what happens when you skip a number, SAMSUNG.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF

sincerely,

- a not as outdated as the numbers suggest Galaxy Note 5 user.

The sheer number of actually known defective devices is literally a drop of water in an Olympic sized swimming pool at this point - just because it's a Note 7 does not mean it will actually end up having the same issues, there are just too many variables involved besides "oh, it has the same battery from the same plant" and "it's a Note 7 so it's going to explode."

Hell, I wish I had one myself at this point because I think it's a nice device - I have a Galaxy S7 Active which is the same damned hardware minus the stylus functionality and the retinal scanner (would be neat to mess around with that thing) - of course my Active has a larger battery and gets phenomenal battery life (2.5-3 days between charging) but even so, if anyone wants to donate a Note 7 just for shits and giggles let me know. :)

Seems like an awful waste of hardware when the actual number of actually defective devices appears to be well under a single percentage point so far. That's not to say any given Note 7 might exhibit problems at this point but even so I wouldn't mind having one.

Considering how long they have been out in the wild, the failure rate is very high. As time goes on, the number will increase as batteries age and break down. You might deem the risk acceptable but I don't and I don't want to be sharing a hotel / plane etc with someone who thinks having a Note 7 is worth risking injury / death / property damage over.

Come to think of it couldn't carriers just block all the handsets via IMEI numbers?

Yes. Turning it in wasn't a requirement.
I would recommended asking for a refund over the phone rather than walking into a store.

Samsung hasn't said anything about replacements etc. to the carriers.
I don't want to pay near retail for the now old S7 Edge. There's nothing Samsung can give me right now that can replace this phone.
Giving it to me free and clear, IMO, was the best course of action from my carrier. I'm able to buy whatever I want to replace it or assume the risk of using the phone on my own.

Actually it is a requirement.. Whoever you got on the phone at t-mobile was wrong & should have told you to take it in to the store. The fact that they didnt... Good for you. You lucked out, but what you get is not what should of happened.

Considering how long they have been out in the wild, the failure rate is very high.

I haven't seen Samsung publish actual sales numbers or even estimates but I've seen websites say anything from 2.5 million units to 25 million units worldwide so, if it's anything even close to that in terms of actual sales for the Note 7 and if less than 200 of them (with about 95 of those in the US alone) have actually exhibited the defect directly with explosions or thermal damage from what I've been able to track down from published reports then I wouldn't call that a high failure rate at all.

I get that it's a serious issue, I do, but I don't get the "blow up" (pun very much intended) of how the story gets propagated across the Internet but that's to be expected I suppose.

And now... this:

Samsung said to kill off Note brand

I haven't seen Samsung publish actual sales numbers or even estimates but I've seen websites say anything from 2.5 million units to 25 million units worldwide so, if it's anything even close to that in terms of actual sales for the Note 7 and if less than 200 of them (with about 95 of those in the US alone) have actually exhibited the defect directly with explosions or thermal damage from what I've been able to track down from published reports then I wouldn't call that a high failure rate at all.

I get that it's a serious issue, I do, but I don't get the "blow up" (pun very much intended) of how the story gets propagated across the Internet but that's to be expected I suppose.

And now... this:

Samsung said to kill off Note brand

It's due to the collateral damage, i.e., personal and property damage. If the phones just failed or burned up, it wouldn't be that huge of a deal. But the second a person is seriously injured, or their house burns down due to a KNOWN defect, Samsung could be easily be on the hook for millions in damages in court, plus millions more in fines.

Actually it is a requirement.. Whoever you got on the phone at t-mobile was wrong & should have told you to take it in to the store. The fact that they didnt... Good for you. You lucked out, but what you get is not what should of happened.

TMo has been very relaxed about customers keeping their devices though. Not one store I went to said I shouldn't have it and turn it in.
Each one of them gave me the option to keep it. With full disclosure, they're selling on CL now for $600, which I can put towards a Titan XP? lmao

TMo has been very relaxed about customers keeping their devices though. Not one store I went to said I shouldn't have it and turn it in.
Each one of them gave me the option to keep it. With full disclosure, they're selling on CL now for $600, which I can put towards a Titan XP? lmao

Probably saved them money from having to call out EOD to take care of the returns.

Not sure about US laws but it is illegal to sell a recalled device. It is also illegal to give it to someone else. I'd check into that if I was you.

Not sure about US laws but it is illegal to sell a recalled device. It is also illegal to give it to someone else. I'd check into that if I was you.

Downloading copyright music, games and movies are illegal also and is very popular among common people.
But what you're talking about is setting up a storefront like Best Buy, who was just dinged for doing what you have stated. Whereas Craigslist is similar to the Torrent sites people use, an anything goes market.

No one is saying something has been or will be sold on this forum. But I did point out there are people attempting to doing just that on another website.

I work for T-Mobile .. I know the policies very well as I was supporting the store's in this process. I know a ton of employee's still walking around with the note 7 because there isn't an option they want to replace it yet (most are waiting on the v20).

I work for T-Mobile .. I know the policies very well as I was supporting the store's in this process. I know a ton of employee's still walking around with the note 7 because there isn't an option they want to replace it yet (most are waiting on the v20).

The V20 has Dual Window Display via Nougat, so that can temper my Note fears a bit.

how do you get the $100 ? is it a check ? I just bought a galaxy S7 off Swappa that is pretty much brand new for $400 bucks

You said an S7 and we're talking about the now recalled Note 7 so, I'm going to assume you just made a mistake with the device you bought, right?

I'm sitting with an S7 Edge, which is a great phone anyways. I really liked the Note 7, but I'm a reasonable person and understand there are problems and I simply cannot (or at least should not) keep a Note 7. As it stands I've got a free Gear Fit 2 and a Gear VR on the way (hopefully). When I consider other phones to switch to, there really isn't anything compelling.

I thought they were giving away $100 if you bought another samsung phone?

And then we get something like this:

Yes, folks, someone is posting a live video stream of a Note 7 they bought off craigslist (a Federal offense, actually, now that the official recall is in place as of yesterday - well at least selling them is against the law now) in the hopes that people will watch the stream to see this particular Note 7 go up in flames.

I can think of a few things I'd like to end right now about and that stream is just one of them. ;)

I'm just waiting for the LG V20 to hit stores before I take mine in. I want to compare the screens etc to the S7E.
Once I do that, the Note 7 will be gone. I think many other people are waiting to do the same. A good replacement. We are only a 12 days away.

I'm using an iPhone until then.

Samsung is setting up Note 7 exchange booths at airports around the world

This is a very very cool thing for Samsung to do considering the issues with people that might not realize there's a recall in progress and attempting to fly with a Note 7 anywhere is now basically against the law in most every country. Gotta give them some kudos for doing their best to get people to return their Note 7 devices quick and easy.

how do you get the $100 ? is it a check ? I just bought a galaxy S7 off Swappa that is pretty much brand new for $400 bucks

Just about all "rebates" I ever see these days are pre-paid credit cards sent in the mail...with a gaggle of fine-print restrictions-like unable to use them at gas stations and the like.

Samsung is offering to buy back Note 7 devices as well for full refunds of the retail price, if people aren't or weren't aware of that so that's yet another attempt to do the right thing on their part. While their main recall notice page says contact your carrier, if you contact Samsung (at least here in the US, can't speak for the rest of the world) and ask for their Note 7 department in Colorado one of the CSRs there can help get you a full refund direct from Samsung within 7-14 days according to reports (most of this info first appeared in a thread at Reddit but there have been quite a few reports of success).

Samsung is only attempting to make things right for itself. Screw the customers.

Samsung doesn’t want to pay for fire damage from the Galaxy Note 7

At least one of those owners doesn't understand how insurance works.

OF COURSE all you get is the DEPRECIATED VALUE of your loss. You total your Ford POS rustbucket, you get the KBB value for its condition. You don't get a check covering a brand new Porsche or Ford or Tesla.

Not covering the housing temporary expenses for housing a family that had a house burn down because of you...now that is wrong. In my book, I'll admit I don't know what the law requires-but that is wrong. Especially for a multi-national Umbrella-Mega-Corp like Samsung.

And so it begins... or ends, depending on the point of view I suppose:

http://www.samsung.com/nz/note7/owner-information/

tl;dr New Zealand carriers/cellular network operators will begin actively denying service aka blacklisting all Note 7 IMEIs as of November 18th so now I wonder when other carriers around the world may start taking similar actions.

They need to do it in the US too. People are keeping and selling their Note 7's on ebay for crazy prices.

Typical humans, unfortunately, and I don't mean trying to profit off the fact that the Note 7 is defective (even if units don't happen to exhibit the issues that prompted the worldwide recall in the first place), I mean just being stupid and deciding they want to keep 'em and still use them even in spite of their potential self-destructive capabilities. I see people quoting that old saying "They can pry my Note 7 from my cold dead hands..." when it would be more accurate to say "They can have the Note 7 when it self-destructs and takes my hands with it in the process..." :D

Reactions: Canon
like this
Samsung might start selling refurbished Galaxy Note 7’s that didn’t blow up.
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2016/11/15/samsung-refurbished-galaxy-note-7/

Source.
http://www.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20160926000417

“Samsung has not made a final decision yet, but it will likely sell the refurbished Note 7 units next year,” an industry source said.

The source anticipated the refurbished handsets will be mostly sold in emerging markets such as India and Vietnam where low-end and mid-range smartphones are popular.

Anyone going to try importing these or buying one off EBAY? Kinda cool! Or explosive...

Well if they decide to sell them refurbished they better realize they're gonna have to cut the price in half, literally, or more. Bad idea, really bad idea especially when they already committed to destroying all of them. I get why they'll backtrack (read: make money even on the failure so far) but I will always say just be done with this shit, destroy all of 'em, move the fuck on before this comes back to bite them in the ass a second time (which will happen, obviously).

Back