Galaxy Note 4

^its called "we dont like [insert techblog] cause they destroyed the [insert smartphone that we like] and instead sang the praises of the [insert smartphone we dont like] that actually beats [insert smartphone we like] by a million

Thank you folks...:)

Ohh yeah... let's wait for objective analysis from AT. :rolleyes:

Are they still going on and on about color accuracy on a smartphone? Nobody cares about that.

More objective than most, especially since they use the phone as their driver for a week first.

You may not like color accuracy but a lot do. It's also one small section in a rather lengthy review.
what did he say about S5's amoled screen? you can probably expect that kind of performance

This is what I'm guessing.

More objective than most, especially since they use the phone as their driver for a week first.

You may not like color accuracy but a lot do. It's also one small section in a rather lengthy review.

This is what I'm guessing.

What ever they claim to do doesn't prove objectivity. Some preachers spend all day reading the bible then molest kids. Actions speak louder. While AT offers good information their apple bias is obvious. As always read reviews for the factual information and completely disregard opinions of which AT articles are full of them which will systematically down play or gloss over advantages of certain phones while overly playing up the advantages of iphones.

So when will I be able to walk into a T-Mobile store and buy one of these Note 4?

No one knows any release date except Samsung, all we know is October. They really dropped the ball on that one releasing the phone over a month after it was announced.

No one knows any release date except Samsung, all we know is October. They really dropped the ball on that one releasing the phone over a month after it was announced.

October seems to be the perfect time for me to switch to T-Mobile :D I have Sprint now and it is HORRIBLE. They claim service in my area is TOP NOTCH...Yeah right

Waiting to see how good Gear VR is. I am really tempted about the posibility of a VR Cinema using the Note 4.

Waiting to see how good Gear VR is. I am really tempted about the posibility of a VR Cinema using the Note 4.

I would love to have this device if it had a camera attached on the front or used the devices camera.

Augmented reality anyone?

I know, right now I've an S4 Mini with CM 11 I think.

To be honest, I only use it for music in my car, whatsapp (fotos, videos, etc), taking some snapshots and videos.

The only reason I use CM is that it has KitKat, don't know what version is officially out for the S4 Mini but my tinkering days on phones are kind of gone for the moment.

Gear VR seems like a DK1 on steroids due to its high res amoled screen. Maybe someone will hack it to be used as a monitor via MHL out put and can play PC games ala DK1/2

I would love to have this device if it had a camera attached on the front or used the devices camera.

Augmented reality anyone?

I think I read that the camara will be available for use with Gear VR but no 3D I guess (single camara)

I'm going to take a wild guess that when the consumer version of the Oculus Rift comes out, it'll be using the Note 4 screen instead of the Note 3 in DK2. But is it 60 Hz?

I should clarify that I want at least 85 Hz with 120 Hz as my "perfect enough" target. So 60 Hz wouldn't be cutting it.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess that when the consumer version of the Oculus Rift comes out, it'll be using the Note 4 screen instead of the Note 3 in DK1. But is it 60 Hz?

That is a good question. I will guess no but at a minimum these screens are 30hz.

just read I can upgrade my phone now. I hope we get a firm release date from samsung soon.

Note 4 is 60hz, as far as I know. Any less for VR won't do.

Seeing as the screen itself is 60hz it depends on how the VR headset works. If it (more then likely) splits the screen in two for 720p per side then it will be a 30hz screen. If it just puts the screen in front of your eyes then it isn't really a VR headset so much as a Gameboy :D.

Seeing as the screen itself is 60hz it depends on how the VR headset works. If it (more then likely) splits the screen in two for 720p per side then it will be a 30hz screen. If it just puts the screen in front of your eyes then it isn't really a VR headset so much as a Gameboy :D.

I don't think it works that way

The screen is divided by software and the lenses each focus on half. The refresh rate is not halved, only the resolution.

I should clarify that I want at least 85 Hz with 120 Hz as my "perfect enough" target. So 60 Hz wouldn't be cutting it.

FYI kids, rumor is release date for Note4 has been moved up into September.

http://www.androidauthority.com/note-4-release-accelerate-iphone-529198/

I think that's only for Samsung's home country. Not for the U.S or Europe.

Samsung had a great opportunity to seize, the Note series is their hot product, dare I say hotter than the S line ? They show off the brand new Note 4, and then nothing, just tumbles weeds blowing, crickets chirping, not even a firm release date was mentioned at the Note 4 announcement. Just saying sometime next month.

I am no iPhone fan at all, not into Fisher Price toy phones, but anyways, I will admit Apple does it right, they announce it, show it off, and then a week later it's in stores really for sale.

But I don't even want the Note 4, I am so burned out and sick of the bloated laggy Touchwiz. Bring on the Nexus X phablet from Motorola.

My friend lives in South Korea and the video of the iPhone 6 bend test is going viral there.

Apparently iPhone 6 pre-orders got cancelled en masse.

Looks like the Galaxy Note 4 will receive more press now.

Guys talking about Gear VR - Phil @ Android Central says as NICE as the Note 4 screen is... it's still NOT high resolution enough for VR. He's not sure where it needs to be, but 515ppi isn't enough.

Guys talking about Gear VR - Phil @ Android Central says as NICE as the Note 4 screen is... it's still NOT high resolution enough for VR. He's not sure where it needs to be, but 515ppi isn't enough.
I'm thinking is the Pentile. If it was RGB, maybe it'll be good enough. Supposedly the newest Oculus Rift has a better resolution than the Note 4 according to folks who has used it and the Gear VR. So I'm assuming that maybe they got LG's OLED 1440p instead, or something kind of ultrawide 1440p screen.

I'm thinking is the Pentile. If it was RGB, maybe it'll be good enough.

You could be right... I was just listening to their podcast and all he said was that the resolution wasn't high enough. He said for everyday use, obviously the Note 4 is immaculate, but when you strap it on your face and it's only 1.5" from your eyes it just wasn't good enough.

I'm thinking is the Pentile. If it was RGB, maybe it'll be good enough. Supposedly the newest Oculus Rift has a better resolution than the Note 4 according to folks who has used it and the Gear VR. So I'm assuming that maybe they got LG's OLED 1440p instead, or something kind of ultrawide 1440p screen.

Pentile is not a problem anymore. Seriously anything above 300PPI totally negates the drawbacks of Pentile.

We're talking 400PPI+ for the Galaxy Note 4.

Comparisons of Note 4 and iPhone 6 are starting to appear. iPhone 6 hype will be short lived.

http://hi-tech.**************/review/Apple_iPhone_6_Plus_vs_Samsung_GALAXY_Note_4.html

http://mobile-review.com/review/samsung-galaxy-note4.shtml

Before Bendgate, I went to an Apple Store to check out the 6+, and I wasn't impressed with the build quality.
Yes, it's aluminum but it's thin aluminum that looks unrefined with the antenna strips and round edges.

The Note 4 looks more solid and has much better "Phablet" features.
I have a iPhone 5S and iOS8 is perfect for it. But for a 5.5" iPhone iOS8 is lacking.

I will be pre-ordering a Note 4.

Pentile is not a problem anymore. Seriously anything above 300PPI totally negates the drawbacks of Pentile.

Not sure WHAT the problem is... but in VR situations where the Note 4 is only an inch of so from the face, people that have used it say the screen isn't good enough.

Before Bendgate, I went to an Apple Store to check out the 6+, and I wasn't impressed with the build quality.
Yes, it's aluminum but it's thin aluminum that looks unrefined with the antenna strips and round edges.

The Note 4 looks more solid and has much better "Phablet" features.
I have a iPhone 5S and iOS8 is perfect for it. But for a 5.5" iPhone iOS8 is lacking.

I will be pre-ordering a Note 4.

AMEN! Just like with an iPad.... iOS looks STUPID for something that size.

FWIW, as long as the APPS take advantage of the screen it kind of negates the disadvantages HOWEVER, why not allow your iPad to do more? Android IMO is WAAAY better on a larger screen. (or even Windows 8.1 for that fact with its live tiles.).

as expected from you... Clearly you did not read into the context of the complaint! Typical customer service response from Samsung!

Pentile from an inch from your face with magnifying lenses of sort may be a cause.

Another thing is white for amoled screens is a combination of all three colors and not just a white pixel. OLED screens from LG has white oled.

From weespeed

Just got to handle a White Note 4, at Best Buy.

It looks really nice. I'll say it looks a lot better than my Note 3.
Did Some comparisons with the screen, and it is much nicer depending on what you're viewing.
Looking at 1080p content on YouTube, the screens don't look too far apart. The Note 4 screen is crisper, the text is crisp and the colors look better.

Didn't get a chance to use the camera. Will try later.

TW on the Note 4 is miles ahead of what's on the Note 3. It looks nicer. S-pen menu changed. But the TW on the Note 4 looks like stock Android. Icons are round and the color is the google blue. While the Note 3 TW is like Windows 95.

The metal frame was nice to hold and the chamfered edges give it that premium feel. You have the white sides with a touch of silver around the edges. Looks nice. It's also nice how it's thinner in the middle and flares out at the top and bottom, like an hour glass. Makes it feel thinner to hold.

I put a iPhone 6+ on top of the Note 4 and it's almost the same width. It's so close that I would have to pull calipers out to make sure which one is thinner at the width.
And looking at it from the side, the thickness is almost the same. If the Note 4 back was more flat, it'll be the same thickness, I think. The white back had a curve to it. Also because it was white, the back plate didn't feel as nice as my black Note 3.

All that said, the iPhone 6+ feels thinner at the width, maybe because of the rounded edges. Felt like it was easier to grip and easier to drop compared to the Note 4.

The iPhone 6+ looks cool and hip, while the Note 4 looks all business.

Can't wait to get mine.

Last edited:
I recall reading an article back in the winter or Spring, where Google had a serious meeting with Samsung regarding Touchwiz and Google apps and stock Android, etc... And that Google would prefer if Samsung followed more of the stock Android look and theme closer, and not make Touchwiz so radically different.

And Samsung agreed to that, and would try to make Touchwiz follow vanilla Android a little better in future phones, and I think the Note 4 was supposed to be the first phone to do so. And the Galaxy S6 next year even more so.

Oh so now the Note 4 has a metal frame and chamfered edges isnt that like 2008 tech? Lol I kid I kid, is the back cover also metal of some sort? I feel like the Note 4 is less of a upgrade from the Note 3 than the iPhone 6 was from the 5S.

Since both the Note 3 and 4 are about the same size, would the cases available for the Note 3 be compatible with the Note 4?

Since both the Note 3 and 4 are about the same size, would the cases available for the Note 3 be compatible with the Note 4?

No way, nope.

Check the specs, these phones are slightly different heights, different thickness, and hair different width. A Note 3 case will absolutely not fit the Note 4 phone.

But I don't even want the Note 4, I am so burned out and sick of the bloated laggy Touchwiz. Bring on the Nexus X phablet from Motorola.
That's exactly what I've heard from my Note 3 buddy. He's loved all 3 Notes as hardware but is tired of Touchwiz. I'm pretty sure the upcoming Nexus would have to be constructed entirely of some poisonous material for him not to buy it.

They tweaked TouchWiz so it's more like stock Android? God, now I want to get this. Can you guys shut up.

Back