Galaxy Note 4

Yikes. Expensive hobby collecting Notes (at retail that is two house payments out here), you burn through them yearly or just soured of Note 3 quicker than the rest?

I (re)learned the lesson about voting with my wallet after the Note 2.

lol maybe he is voting with his wallet?

I personally own a note 3, been happy with it. But the upgrades on the note 4 just seem to tick all the right boxes for me. So I am voting with my wallet just grabbed a note 4 even though I really don't need it.

It's really simple out there no one not one single manufacturer has a device that is in the same league as the notes. All I have to say is when did Asians stop copying? lol really it used to be whatever anyone successful made the all the smaller Asian makers would just try to copy it and all its features. But somehow the galaxy note has just remained the leading phablet 4 generations later and no one has even stepped up to the plate to try to take it down.

The galaxy note 4 is now nearly the perfect phone hardware wise. With the exception of getting faster and more storage bigger specs it has almost every piece of hardware a phone needs. The only thing missing is a hardware keyboard. I am actually trying to think of what else they can put in a phone and coming up blank.

What makes Swappa safe? From what I understand Swappa and many sites like it are basically a loophole, what they do is sell stuff and take a chunk of money but they DONT offer you any protection what so ever, instead what they do is refer you to PayPal or your credit card or anyone else. Basically this is very similar to all the other questionable grey area businesses being born in current times where a web site tries to offer a service to negotiate an arrangement between 2 parties but cleanses themselves of any liability so they can essentially run a no risk low to no tax business. If you search for getting burned on Swappa you will find plenty of examples and you will also find that most people who complain specifically note that when they tried to get help Swappa just said go talk to PayPal. And since PayPal and EBay are one you can bet PayPal was not helpful.

That said lots of people have good experiences with swappa, as many people also have good experiences with Craigslist. But if you are buying a new hot device like the Galaxy Note 4 and you get burned or get one with a bad ESN you are probably going to be very unhappy.

What makes Swappa safe? From what I understand Swappa and many sites like it are basically a loophole, what they do is sell stuff and take a chunk of money but they DONT offer you any protection what so ever, instead what they do is refer you to PayPal or your credit card or anyone else. Basically this is very similar to all the other questionable grey area businesses being born in current times where a web site tries to offer a service to negotiate an arrangement between 2 parties but cleanses themselves of any liability so they can essentially run a no risk low to no tax business. If you search for getting burned on Swappa you will find plenty of examples and you will also find that most people who complain specifically note that when they tried to get help Swappa just said go talk to PayPal. And since PayPal and EBay are one you can bet PayPal was not helpful.

That said lots of people have good experiences with swappa, as many people also have good experiences with Craigslist. But if you are buying a new hot device like the Galaxy Note 4 and you get burned or get one with a bad ESN you are probably going to be very unhappy.

There's an inherent risk of buying and selling anything used. I personally have bought and sold 3 devices thus far using Swappa. My current Note 3 is from Swappa, if that says anything.

You are required up front to take pictures of your devices and describe it accurately. They have some kind of automated system which checks the ESN on the spot so they know the device is clean.

Granted I haven't had any negative experience, so, as with anything, YMMV. However, for someone as discriminating as myself when it comes to purchasing gadgets for myself, I wouldn't have recommended it if it didn't work for me. ;)

Yeah, same thing with using craigslist. I guess it's a chance most of us are willing to take, including me.

The Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Alpha are Samsung's newest smartphones and I love the new metal on these new phones.

The Galaxy S6 most likely will sport metal. I think Samsung should market the hell out of the Galaxy S6, something it lacked with the Galaxy S5.

The iPhone 6 got tons of marketing, hence it's selling well.

The Galaxy S6 most likely will sport metal. I think Samsung should market the hell out of the Galaxy S6, something it lacked with the Galaxy S5.

The iPhone 6 got tons of marketing, hence it's selling well.

What?? The S5 was marketed like crazy! It was just a bad phone and most didn't think it was worth an upgrade over previous models, i expect the s6 to not be different. The iphone doesn't need marketing, it has a following that will always buy apple and only apple. Plus it moved lots of the larger phone users over to it.

What?? The S5 was marketed like crazy! It was just a bad phone and most didn't think it was worth an upgrade over previous models, i expect the s6 to not be different. The iphone doesn't need marketing, it has a following that will always buy apple and only apple. Plus it moved lots of the larger phone users over to it.

Indeed, it's like Samsung didn't even try with the S5 and just planned on skating by on momentum from past releases. They made a bigger phone with larger bezels and a minor spec bump (same resolution and RAM, just an SoC upgrade). Though the display was still a major upgrade in terms of brightness and color accuracy. The design was still just a warmed over S3 and S4 too. All that, plus being completely locked down with no root method for the first couple months, drove me to the One M8 and I've been completely happy with it since I got it at launch. I can't wait for the M9 and will definitely get it if it doesn't have QHD with an 805 or 810 SoC. I'm sure Samsung will put QHD in the S6, which will most likely cause it to perform a lot slower and have worse battery life than other flagships sticking with 1080p and the same SoC.

Indeed, it's like Samsung didn't even try with the S5 and just planned on skating by on momentum from past releases. They made a bigger phone with larger bezels and a minor spec bump (same resolution and RAM, just an SoC upgrade). Though the display was still a major upgrade in terms of brightness and color accuracy. The design was still just a warmed over S3 and S4 too. All that, plus being completely locked down with no root method for the first couple months, drove me to the One M8 and I've been completely happy with it since I got it at launch. I can't wait for the M9 and will definitely get it if it doesn't have QHD with an 805 or 810 SoC. I'm sure Samsung will put QHD in the S6, which will most likely cause it to perform a lot slower and have worse battery life than other flagships sticking with 1080p and the same SoC.

The bold part is the important part. Cash strapped customers won't waste money on minor incremental upgrades that cost a ton of money. Hell, how much money has been wasted on "wearables", only for sales to suck? Same thing, a ton of money for a "why bother?". Further the market is saturated, and most people have long past the "good enough" line in performance and features. And for better or worst, "android" and "Samsung Galaxy" have gotten twisted as the same thing in lay people's minds at this point in terms of brand recognition. There's not much to be gained by spending even more on advertising at this point.

You can spend $400,000,000 marketing Mitt Romney in an election....but at the end of the day it is still only Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney didn't lose because of how much was spent on marketing.

You can spend $400,000,000 marketing Mitt Romney in an election....but at the end of the day it is still only Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney didn't lose because of how much was spent on marketing.
Wait wait...
Negative ads... Check
Flip-flopping on issues... Check

Does Samsung have binders full of women?

I hate to break it to you guys but a bigger phone with minor spec bump is pretty much all phone companies have been doing for 5 years now if you think the S5 qualifies as that you are crazy. Plus its simply not true, Samsung introduced the first no compromises OLED display with the galaxy s5. They also added the finger print reader which pretty much solves a lot of problems phones can have security wise and butt dialing and so on. And they added heart rate monitoring. They also made the base model water proof. But oh never enough to impress people right? Please remind me what other phone made that big a jump from the predecessor in hardware? Oh no the resolution stayed the same, seriously apple goes like 3-4 generarions on the same resolution and people call it revolutionary. The bigger issue is just the saturation of the phone market and the fact that android fans have the amazing galaxy note line to look up to and that line has been growing in sales as more and more people each year realize its not that big, which are probably largely sales stolen from the S series.

What will the galaxy S6 have? Well if the past is any hint it will have the same metal surround the galaxy note 4 has. It will also have the qHD screen the Korean galaxy S5s have. But its getting hard to think of more hardware to put in these guys. If you think the galaxy s5 was nothing more than a minor spec bump you guys are going to think most future phones don't have any changes at all. Its amazing how a hardware tech site can be so obvlivious to the hardware in devices and focus so much on the outside shell that doesn't even matter.

When Apple makes a minor spec bump but adds 'i' and 'amazing' to everything its considered huge. Its looks and works like every other iPhone since the dawn of time, but its still big news.

Why does Android have a double standard? If the RAM stays at 3GB, people whine. If the display stays 1080p, people whine. If its increased to QHD, they still whine and say its too much.

Samsung/HTC/LG/Sony release multiple flagships a year, each of them is better than the last, each of them take s a lot of R&D/resources, yet people still whine.

When Apple makes a minor spec bump but adds 'i' and 'amazing' to everything its considered huge. Its looks and works like every other iPhone since the dawn of time, but its still big news.

Why does Android have a double standard? If the RAM stays at 3GB, people whine. If the display stays 1080p, people whine. If its increased to QHD, they still whine and say its too much.

Samsung/HTC/LG/Sony release multiple flagships a year, each of them is better than the last, each of them take s a lot of R&D/resources, yet people still whine.

Well, I mean yeah. You have all the Apple fanbois who literally wait for the next "magical" and "revolutionary" thing to come from Apple even though there are better alternatives (like the Note series).

On my Note 4, S-Health always force closes. In fact there's a long delay between me tapping its icon, then I don't even see the app trying to open, and 5s later I see the force close message.

Can I uninstall/reinstall it, is there any way to fix this?

well it sucks how my local ATT store decided to upgrade my family contract without giving me an actual upgraded device. Plus the guy told me the going price for the att note 4 is $400 LOL. time to seek my options with tmobile lol

The note 4 on display was nice, and as always liked the functionality. However when i compared the note 4 to the 6 plus, it was night and day. soo less features but for some reason the 6+ display again looks soo rich.

On my Note 4, S-Health always force closes. In fact there's a long delay between me tapping its icon, then I don't even see the app trying to open, and 5s later I see the force close message.

Can I uninstall/reinstall it, is there any way to fix this?

what version are you on?

Mine is on 3.5.1.0693, no issues reported here.

well it sucks how my local ATT store decided to upgrade my family contract without giving me an actual upgraded device. Plus the guy told me the going price for the att note 4 is $400 LOL. time to seek my options with tmobile lol

The note 4 on display was nice, and as always liked the functionality. However when i compared the note 4 to the 6 plus, it was night and day. soo less features but for some reason the 6+ display again looks soo rich.

I compared them side by side after just buying my Note 4. I did not feel the same at all. The Note 4 has a 5.7 inch screen at 1440x2560 making a pixel density of 515, compared to the 5.5 1080x1920 @ 401. I noticed they always have the iPhone on super high brightness which creates a facade of vibrancy.

I also personally found the Note 4 to nicer looking for once with the beveled and metal edges, and curved screen at the end. It's nice. Shame putting a case on it.

I utterly hated the shit camera on my Note 3, not to mention Kit Kat completely killed the battery life and wifi droppage was horrendous, even after 3 exchanges. Thank Christ my Note 4 isn't having any of these issues and the camera is soooooooooooo much better.

I do wish the farking SD storage didn't make my battery usage go to hell because android keeps sucking it up with a indexing service, so I finally gave up and yanked out my microSD

Arc1c0n, I don't know what good battery life looks like to you, but I've been around 50% after being unplugged from 7 AM to 11 PM, and I have a microSD as well. I did disable almost all of the preinstalled apps, and turned off notification for everything I didn't care about. I'm using Nova Prime.

Got my note 4 today, its better than I thought it would be. I got the developer edition so its romed and rooted. I didn't know you could set s voice to always listen. I really liked on my droid maxx because I used it to call people on speaker phone. Now I don't have to give it up.

One annoying thing is the stupid dt ignite junk, it installed a bunch of crap games I didn't want. I deleted them but its the principle of installing crap I don't want.

Arc1c0n, I don't know what good battery life looks like to you, but I've been around 50% after being unplugged from 7 AM to 11 PM, and I have a microSD as well. I did disable almost all of the preinstalled apps, and turned off notification for everything I didn't care about. I'm using Nova Prime.

Disabling stuff made my Note 4 reboot randomly, so I dunno how you got around that

it sounds like you have or like to install some sort of application that is actually causing the problems.
It also may be you have a messed up microsd card and you need to change it. On a galaxy S4 I had a problem with android constantly discovering a microSD card. Swapped it out for another one and it worked fine.

I'm on ATT, so a Samsung phone is out of the cards for me due to the crazy strict lockdown ATT puts on Sammy phones lately.

What happened to the good old Note 2 days on ATT ? The ATT Note 2 had amazing development for it which made that phone even better. It was easily rooted and easy to install Recovery. Just sucks now two years later that's all over for new Note's.

I like Samsung phones but NO WAY stock. IMO Touchwiz does so much better without carrier bloat and Samsung bloat installed. Removing those apps makes a HUGE difference in performance and battery life. And then Touchwiz custom ROM's squeeze out even more performance and even better features.

I'm on ATT, so a Samsung phone is out of the cards for me due to the crazy strict lockdown ATT puts on Sammy phones lately.

What happened to the good old Note 2 days on ATT ?

They're gone. With the changes to Lollipop (Su not running at boot time without kernel trickery), L based handsets with locked bootloaders will be more impossible than before to customize.

The good old days are gone.

Just sucks so sad that ATT screwing it's subscribers, while T-Mobile gets all the root Recovery love they want, and even Sprint is better, and dare I say Verizon not as bad as ATT is lately :eek:

I remember just two years ago, the ATT Note 2 had root and Recovery immediately after release, and the ATT XDA Note 2 forums were jammed packed with ROM's and kernels. Why did ATT make such a drastic change to lock it down so hard now ? Where as T-Mobile allows it to be unlocked with ease ?

ATT allows HTC to still be unlocked, you can buy the ATT One M8 and root it and install custom Recovery out of the box with ease. But no way is that possible with the ATT S5 or Note 4, but why ATT ?

Just sucks so sad that ATT screwing it's subscribers, while T-Mobile gets all the root Recovery love they want, and even Sprint is better, and dare I say Verizon not as bad as ATT is lately :eek:

Verizon may soon be there with ATT, if you buy the retail verizon phones they are just as locked down as att's. Only thing is verizon still allows makers to put out developer phones that you buy at full price so that you can modify them. Sad thing is makers are choosing not to put them out. Moto had a droid maxx/moto x developer edition but the newest turbo/moto x they decided not to do one. Samsung makes one for the note 4 and s5 but apparently they only make like 40 at a time and only stock them every 6 weeks. It took me a few months to be able to actually buy a developer note 4. I can see these going away as well.

Why they want to lock them down so much? I don't know, power is the only thing I can come up with, it drives me crazy the things they do like the stupid bluetooth volume limit you have to hit ok on to actually up the volume. Why is that not removeable or at least not shown after the first time of hitting ok?

I'm on ATT. I really don't have a problem with my Note 4. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. :) The apps that I couldn't disable don't seem to be that much of an issue.

Back