Galaxy Note 4

Android "L" is just around the corner, but the Note 4 is launching with 4.4.3. So...who knows when the Note 4 will ever see the "L" update.

And then there's the bull crap of U.S. Carriers and Knox too, both not helping us root and install custom Recovery for ROM's.

It sure aint like the good old Note 2 days just two years ago, all U.S. phoned were easily unlocked with tons of brilliant XDA development.

As far as chipset differences...how did the split Sammy Exynos/Snapdragon chipset phones in the past workout as far as support from ROMs go? I remember early on there was kerfuffle about refusing to support one or the other shen it came to split chipset phones-but did it ever die down?

Nope, the Exynos got the majority of the support, Samsung actually released a ton of stuff for third party developers. I think they even gave money to the CM team back when they were on v8 or 9? If you wanted a ROM for the Note2 you just threw a rock and picked one.

Qualcomm on the other hand decided to lock down their stuff super tight, made developing very hard, wouldn't talk to developers or even enthusiasts website and they are still like this. Most of the stuff we get on third party ROM's are ports from the OEM versions, which is why ROMs these days suck on American phones. Not to mention they are dragging their feat with ARMv8.

Galaxy Note is getting competition. 2560x1600 6.2", 4GB DRAM and Snapdragon 810 64-bit (this is how you do 64-bit Apple).

http://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_starts_testing_the_snapdragon_810_chipset-news-9360.php
big.jpg

If you can wait 6 months to Feb/Mar/Apr, the new flagships next Spring will have Snapdragon 810 if not mediatek or Nvidia's 64 bit cortex A53 arm v8 SoC's. Snapdragon 805 isn't much better than 801, and that isn't much better than 800. Waiting this time last year doesn't make that much sense; this year however the potential performance difference is huge.

If you can wait 6 months to Feb/Mar/Apr, the new flagships next Spring will have Snapdragon 810 if not mediatek or Nvidia's 64 bit cortex A53 arm v8 SoC's. Snapdragon 805 isn't much better than 801, and that isn't much better than 800. Waiting this time last year doesn't make that much sense; this year however the potential performance difference is huge.

what about snapdragon 808 where does that fit in?

p.s n/m found article http://www.anandtech.com/show/7925/...bit-socs-with-lte-category-67-support-in-2015

Size is useful... to a degree. The problem is, your hands aren't getting any bigger, and your pocket probably isn't, either. There's also a question of diminishing returns. Is LG's 5.9-inch G Pro 2 that much more useful than a 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3? Not really.

I used the Galaxy Mega 6.3 for a little while, and there's no question that it's less appealing than the Note 3, even if Samsung gave it the exact same specs. It's hard to use without grabbing it with both hands, and you'll always notice it when it's in your pocket. Phones in the 6-inch plus category are really meant for people in markets where a phone is more likely to be the only computing device you can afford, and an inferior experience on the move may be worth it when watching videos back home. Well, many people who can afford a smartphone in North America, Europe and other corners of the world can also afford a PC or tablet -- they can use the best device for a given job.

Disagree big time. I had the Note 3 and loved it but moved to Tmo and wanted even more RE. I now have the mega and absolutely love the real estate. I'm using the megafire custom rom which is decently zippy vs stock. I would even like a slightly bigger screen. Take the buttons off and add that much more screen and on top a bit more as well. Keep it 720p but make it a bit stronger and at least 2gb memory with better cam minimum 16gb and I'm super happy. Oh, make the sound output better than it is now too.

I don't even use the tab anymore. Don't want to go less than 6" on a phone. I love it.

Galaxy Note is getting competition. 2560x1600 6.2", 4GB DRAM and Snapdragon 810 64-bit (this is how you do 64-bit Apple).

http://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_starts_testing_the_snapdragon_810_chipset-news-9360.php
big.jpg

Yes!

I just have one very simple question.

Being on ATT, will the Note 4 be able to be Rooted, and even more important, allow Custom Recovery for ROM's ? If not, NO WAY I can get the Note 4.

Nice thing with HTC, they openly and officially allow their One M8 to have the bootloader unlocked directly through HTC's own website. I did just that with my ATT carrier One M8, and converted it to a GPE. Would like to see Samsung allow that too

Samsung says the Note is primarily for professionals...and professionals don't need a water or dust proof phone as much.

Bunch or tards who came up with that reasoning

I will wait for the official Android Phablet coming next month. The 5.9" Motorola Nexus X Phablet.

Can't wait to see how Google does a Nexus phablet, running the brand new Android 'L'. Should be close to the same size as the Note 4, as Motorola is rumored to build it super slim bezels, and with no hardware home button, can shrink the bottom down smaller too.

I just can't stand Touchwiz lately, and with Knox on the Note 4, and U.S. Carrier versions not being able to Root the Galaxy line anymore at launch, and ROM's are big question mark if there will be any development allowed on the U.S. Note 4's. Fuck that, I am going to the Nexus phablet.

And Samsung dropped the ball on the Note 4 release. They announce the phone today, beginning of September, but said it won't be for sale in stores until October sometime :rolleyes:

Where come next Tuesday, Apple will dominate the news media and all tech blogs with the iPhone 6 announcement, and the Note 4 will be forgotten about. Plus the iPhone 6 is said to be on sale and in stores on Friday Sept. 19th, just ten days after the announcement.

Samsung should have combated that, and tried to have the Note 4 out a week before the iPhone 6 is in stores.

Oh well, I am waiting for the Nexus X phablet anyways :cool:

I will wait for the official Android Phablet coming next month. The 5.9" Motorola Nexus X Phablet.

Can't wait to see how Google does a Nexus phablet, running the brand new Android 'L'. Should be close to the same size as the Note 4, as Motorola is rumored to build it super slim bezels, and with no hardware home button, can shrink the bottom down smaller too.

I just can't stand Touchwiz lately, and with Knox on the Note 4, and U.S. Carrier versions not being able to Root the Galaxy line anymore at launch, and ROM's are big question mark if there will be any development allowed on the U.S. Note 4's. Fuck that, I am going to the Nexus phablet.

Anything can be rooted given the time.

Anything can be rooted given the time.

Did you see the ATT Note 3 forum on XDA at launch :( Tumble weeds blowing, and crickets were chirping for months after release.

It took a super long time to even get root on that phone, like months. And even today, there isn't a true Custom Recovery to allow fresh ROM' s on the ATT Note 3. You have to use some strange thing called 'Safe Strap' and crap. Bottom line it's not at all the way it's supposed to be, as how it would be on an HTC device or Nexus phone.

And Samsung dropped the ball on the Note 4 release. They announce the phone today, beginning of September, but said it won't be for sale in stores until October sometime :rolleyes:

Where come next Tuesday, Apple will dominate the news media and all tech blogs with the iPhone 6 announcement, and the Note 4 will be forgotten about. Plus the iPhone 6 is said to be on sale and in stores on Friday Sept. 19th, just ten days after the announcement.

Samsung should have combated that, and tried to have the Note 4 out a week before the iPhone 6 is in stores.

The Note 4 does not directly compete with the iPhone at all. Either people would get a phablet or go for the iPhone once again...

The Note 4 does not directly compete with the iPhone at all. Either people would get a phablet or go for the iPhone once again...

The 5.5" iPhone Air, is supposed to be going for the Note buyers. I have read many many comments on Note 3 forums saying, if Apple releases the 5.5" iPhone Air this Fall, they will go for that over the Note 4.

To be fair, this has been Samsung's modus operandi for a while: announce one month, ship sometime the next month.

The problem is, of course, that this year is likely to see an iPhone that directly competes with the Galaxy Note in terms of size. It probably won't have as many whiz-bang tricks, but that may not matter for the crowd that just wants a large screen. If it ships first, it may hurt whatever momentum Samsung was looking for.

Hmm, so the N4 is actually thicker, wider and heavier than the N3 ?!?! I guess I just have that mentality stuck in me where I expect more svelte hardware with each iteration.

White, gold or pink. Da fuq?

Do these still use the same sized sim card as a Note2 on Verizon? I have to be able to Hotspot, if root doesn't come immediately or no app can do it without root, I can at least swap sims when I get home.

Phone was released with 4.4.4. So much for all that worry about it coming with 4.4.3. When was the last time Samsung released a Note that did not have at least the current android OS? Now as far as getting L, who knows how long it will be.

Phone was released with 4.4.4. So much for all that worry about it coming with 4.4.3. When was the last time Samsung released a Note that did not have at least the current android OS? Now as far as getting L, who knows how long it will be.

Easy bet 6 to 18 months after L is public

Did you see the ATT Note 3 forum on XDA at launch :( Tumble weeds blowing, and crickets were chirping for months after release.

It took a super long time to even get root on that phone, like months. And even today, there isn't a true Custom Recovery to allow fresh ROM' s on the ATT Note 3. You have to use some strange thing called 'Safe Strap' and crap. Bottom line it's not at all the way it's supposed to be, as how it would be on an HTC device or Nexus phone.

Safestrap is just a bootloader, you don't need the phone to be rooted in order to install ROMs

Hmm, so the N4 is actually thicker, wider and heavier than the N3 ?!?! I guess I just have that mentality stuck in me where I expect more svelte hardware with each iteration.

The S5 was thicker and heavier than the S4. The new note is still 8.5mm thick vs the Note 3's 8.3mm. That's still a very svelte phone. Non issue really. The slightly bigger chassis probably has something to do with accomodating the new aluminum frame around it. Between the new frame and the removal of the old stiching, the new Note is definitely aesthetically a step in the right direction.

I'm a little disappointed that the bezels are still pretty much the same as last year. There was that leak a week or so ago that showed off a dummy unit with extremely small bezels. I had a feeling that was likely false.

Despite the increase in screen resolution, Samsung was pretty insistent that the battery performances will be better than last years model due to certain optimizations. I look forward to real world confirmation of battery performance.

Also, I'm curious as to the performance of the in house Exynos chip. I have a suspicion that it will be faster than the 805 variant. Although here in the states we will likely only have access to the 805.

Charging the phone from zero to 50% in only half hour?? Sounds nice.

White, gold or pink. Da fuq?

Do these still use the same sized sim card as a Note2 on Verizon? I have to be able to Hotspot, if root doesn't come immediately or no app can do it without root, I can at least swap sims when I get home.

I assume you are on the unlimited plan then? You would just be throttled anyway, go to Tmobile bud

Safestrap is just a bootloader, you don't need the phone to be rooted in order to install ROMs

SafeStrap is a far more than just a bootloader boss, if it was that damn simple having to safestrap wouldn't suck so badly, although it is nothing which is the alternative.

The entire problem with Safestrap is you're still fucked into having to yuse TouchWiz ROMs now and forever. Because of Knox and the locked bootloader you cannot flash custom anything needing a different kernel (OmniROM or Cyanogenmod base ROMs for example). You also cannot alter the radio firmware.

I assume you are on the unlimited plan then? You would just be throttled anyway, go to Tmobile bud

The last few commercials I saw for Tmo are proudly advertising a mere 10GB of monthly data. I'm assuming that is now the norm for Tmo.

The last few commercials I saw for Tmo are proudly advertising a mere 10GB of monthly data. I'm assuming that is now the norm for Tmo.

That's just an advertised 4 line family plan where each person gets 2.5gb of high speed data. Tmobile offers high speed unlimited, its really not worth staying on Verizon for...

I'm not seeing anything wrong with Samsung's release other than the most likely the poorer battery life.

SafeStrap is a far more than just a bootloader boss, if it was that damn simple having to safestrap wouldn't suck so badly, although it is nothing which is the alternative.

The entire problem with Safestrap is you're still fucked into having to yuse TouchWiz ROMs now and forever. Because of Knox and the locked bootloader you cannot flash custom anything needing a different kernel (OmniROM or Cyanogenmod base ROMs for example). You also cannot alter the radio firmware.

You are correct. Safestrap blows, and is nowhere near a true custom recovery, that allows all the fun of flashing any type of ROM you like, or kernels, and firmware etc...

My Wife has a ATT Galaxy S4, with Safestrap and I HATE that phone, it feels handicapped and gimped. Safestrap has so many limitations, it's like a stripper, she'll give you a hard on, but you leave with blue balls, because it was just a tease.

Back