Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy this phone out of contract? I see they go for about $580-$600 on Ebay, but I don't remember if Sprint will let me get insurance on it if I purchase it from there. Other than that it is $649.99+taxes on Sprint's website. It obviously needs to be a Sprint version, because that's who I have.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for an upgrade till next November, but want a Note 2. I don't feel like waiting that long. It'll work out fine b/c if there is a new phone out around next December I can get it at an upgraded price. Even if there isn't, then I'll still be able to do it whenever I want then.

$649.99 is the retail price for the Sprint model outright. That's how much you're going to pay unless you find it used. Even Amazon charges that price for the phone outright. You won't have the same price options as GSM variants because the Sprint model only works on Sprint, and no other model works on Sprint. As a result, you either pay what they ask, or you don't get it.

I apologize if I sound blunt, but it's just the way it is with CDMA-based phones.

Can anyone recommend me what I should flash to to get even better battery performance? Provided I want to keep LTE/WiFi on and Powersaving off. I think Medion you were talking about something in another thread about getting even better performance out of your Note II. I would love to know how! Love this phone! A bit on the big side (I'm sure my dainty hands will get used to it :))

Can anyone recommend me what I should flash to to get even better battery performance? Provided I want to keep LTE/WiFi on and Powersaving off. I think Medion you were talking about something in another thread about getting even better performance out of your Note II. I would love to know how! Love this phone! A bit on the big side (I'm sure my dainty hands will get used to it :))

Use Task Manager to delete all programs not in use. Keep the screen on time at a minimum between using and not using your SGN2.

You can potentially underclock your processor but I don't advise that.

Use Task Manager to delete all programs not in use. Keep the screen on time at a minimum between using and not using your SGN2.

You can potentially underclock your processor but I don't advise that.

Disable all the crap you don't use in manage programs... Anything that can't be disabled there freeze in Ti Backup.

8 hours screen on time is easy without underclocking or even turning off GPS/wifi/sync

Already 10 million SGN2 sales:

Samsung Galaxy Note II sales exceed one million in Korea, may hit 10M globally in Q1
By Zach Honig posted Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:41 PM

By all accounts, Samsung's Galaxy Note II has been a massive success. The oversized smartphone has now made its way into the hands of more than one million consumers in South Korea, just a month after Samsung announced that global sales had exceeded five million units. At that pace, the smartphone maker is reportedly on track to move 10 million Note IIs within four to five months of its late-September launch, compared to the nearly 10 months that it took to meet that milestone with the device's predecessor. LG is also reporting similar domestic sales for its aging 5-inch Optimus Vu, so if you've taken the plunge on either 5+ inch behemoth, it looks like you're in good company.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/31/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-korea-sales/

Personally I would get a blue one if they had it. But grey works for me

got my note 2 on Saturday, fully charged it up saturday night and havent plugged it in since and i am still at 50% battery life.... this phone is truly amazing and that is with heavy use downloading all of my apps and setting up my home screens...

switched from iphone and will never look back. the only thing i feel is lacking is the email client so if anyone knows of one similiar to the ios i would appreciate it.

Thanks

I have no experience with the SGN2 however I own a SGN. Both battery life and performance can be extended merely by undervolting the phones cpu while increasing the maximum cpu frequency to 1500mhz.

Tegrak makes it possible and I've had no issues since July :)

If you guys rooted your Note II, what ROM do you recommend to flash to? I've been seeing a few on XDA, and also Jedi X. Not sure which one.

If you guys rooted your Note II, what ROM do you recommend to flash to? I've been seeing a few on XDA, and also Jedi X. Not sure which one.

For the verizon note ii i have been running jelly beans 4. I end the day no less than 46% battery left. I am on my phone all the time.

Thanks to you, I bought one of those aluminum backs (silver w/ black frame) lol...

Anybody know a 100% working way of saving apps onto SD for the Note 2?

If your wanting to save just the app itself, I'd suggest looking on google for the APK --- i.e. "Download Netfliks APK" that will save you the trouble of hunting it down on the phone

If your wanting to make a backup of your phone, root it then at boot hold Volume Down, Power, and Menu (I think) to access the bootloader then perform a Nandroid Backup (this backs up everything on your phone - files, settings, apps, etc)

If your wanting to save just the app itself, I'd suggest looking on google for the APK --- i.e. "Download Netfliks APK" that will save you the trouble of hunting it down on the phone

This is nice one, can recommend it to you too

I was really sad the black one turned out to be fake. Still totally loving the experience of using my GN2, though.

I actually would prefer the Titanium Grey version over a black version any day.

The Titanium Grey version looks so premium, classy and well finished.

New note owner as of today here! Yeah!...anyway, question. I have Gmail setup from downloading the gmail app from the app store. When I go to send someone a photo or "share" something by email, exp a photo, it wants to use the default email program that came with the phone, not the Gmail app. Anyway to force that to work?
thanks.

I figured out a work around. I setup gmail in the default email program but turned sync off. So I can still send and receive all my mail through the Gmail app, and send photos ect with the default.

Last edited:
Wait, so you have your gmail account set up in the gmail app AND in the "email" app?

New note owner as of today here! Yeah!...anyway, question. I have Gmail setup from downloading the gmail app from the app store. When I go to send someone a photo or "share" something by email, exp a photo, it wants to use the default email program that came with the phone, not the Gmail app. Anyway to force that to work?
thanks.

I figured out a work around. I setup gmail in the default email program but turned sync off. So I can still send and receive all my mail through the Gmail app, and send photos ect with the default.

Are you using the UI that came with the phone? If so, if it asks you again what email program to use, select "gmail" and select "always" and it will always use gmail as your default, if you have your gmail account set up.

If it isn't prompting you anymore, select the email app under settings/applications and clear defaults. Next time it prompts you, select gmail/always. Might want to remove that account from your email app as well and just have it set up in gmail. No need to have two ways to access gmail.

There might be somewhere else to manage this in the UI but I've never had to mess with it beyond the initial prompt.

I'm actually thinking of staying with my iPhone now that there's a jailbreak on the horizon (supposedly they're just waiting for iOS 6.1 to release it) since I have an apple-based ecosystem and carry my iPad with me everywhere I go so I dont need a phablet... (and again, value... cant justify flushing $400+ down the toilet over 2 years compared to (possibly) making a PROFIT upgrading iPhones every other year...)

Though if the JB turns out to be another hoax... I might cough up the cash... especially if the note2's price drops like it probably will as we get closer to a note3 launch later (Q3?) of this year...

Are you using the UI that came with the phone? If so, if it asks you again what email program to use, select "gmail" and select "always" and it will always use gmail as your default, if you have your gmail account set up.

If it isn't prompting you anymore, select the email app under settings/applications and clear defaults. Next time it prompts you, select gmail/always. Might want to remove that account from your email app as well and just have it set up in gmail. No need to have two ways to access gmail.

There might be somewhere else to manage this in the UI but I've never had to mess with it beyond the initial prompt.

This is what is happening. There is a default email app that came with the phone. I downloaded the Gmail app from the store and set it up. When I go to gallery and want to send a photo it displays the default email app and says I dont have an email account set up. Is there a way to work around this? I did not want to use the default app because I understand it is not "push" but polls for email based on your settings.

Fixed. I did a complete reset of the phone and now the Gmail app shows up under the "share" for the gallery. Dont know why it didnt before, but whatever, now it does.
Thanks

Last edited:
the longer I own and use this phone.. the more amazing it is... battery life alone..makes it worth it..

the longer I own and use this phone.. the more amazing it is... battery life alone..makes it worth it..

I'd have to agree, only used my Note 2 for browsing yesterday (~6+ hrs) and some light gaming (few rounds of Free Flow), I'm still at 53% battery; last plug in was ~8 pm the day before. That's a huge improvement over my old rooted+Romed Droid2Global, the Note 2's still running unrooted TouchWiz too.

i just have spare battery charging system and just swap out battery in the morning before i leave for work
never plug it in xD
that been said battery rarely dips below 30% after heavy use all day before i swap it out in the morning

Super happy with this phone. I will never go back to a smaller screen.

so agree.. aint never going back now Ive had this beast! screen size rocks, super performance, battery life best since star-tac days

Someone posted a thread on overclock.net forums suggesting how amazing the Galaxy Note 2 is.

This comparison image looks interesting:

LL

Someone posted a thread on overclock.net forums suggesting how amazing the Galaxy Note 2 is.

This comparison image looks interesting:

LL

The graphic is misleading. The Note II does not use RGB. It uses a new blue striping pattern that is superior to pentile, but not quite as good as rgb. Closer to rgb than pentile in quality.

Any word as to the Smart Dock availability? Really interested in using the GN2 to replace one of my desktops. They seem sold out everywhere. I could just get the HDMI cable/converter but then I would need a BT keyboard and mouse, which negates any cost advantage.

Does anyone have a ROM they recommend? I just recently rooted my phone. Also, is there a way to backups apps I paid for (that are protected) to APK?

I can't seem to figure out a way to do so.

Did you try esfile explorer to backup apks

I have. But it doesn't backup protected apks, (these are a few hundred mb each) and I really don't feel like having to redownload them all. And would like to easily transfer them from phone to tablet vice versa.

Any word as to the Smart Dock availability? Really interested in using the GN2 to replace one of my desktops. They seem sold out everywhere. I could just get the HDMI cable/converter but then I would need a BT keyboard and mouse, which negates any cost advantage.

They will very rarely show up on eBay, though they go for as much as $200...

If you dont mind ordering your stuff from china (or at least chinese manufacturer with a reseller in the US) you can get a BT KB/mouse fairly cheep off eBay along with the HDMI adapter

The graphic is misleading. The Note II does not use RGB. It uses a new blue striping pattern that is superior to pentile, but not quite as good as rgb. Closer to rgb than pentile in quality.

The whole point of PenTile was to increase the lifespan of the AMOLED display.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-2-vs-galaxy-s3-display-comparison-rgb-pentile-121182/

It says that the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 uses a special type of RGB display with a large blue subpixel, and smaller green and red subpixels. This increases the lifespan of the AMOLED display while not adversely affecting the image quality compared to PenTile.

I couldn't really tell that the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 used a RGB pixel matrix when I compared to the SGS3.

However I can say that both screens are amazing. AMOLED displays does have its advantages like infinite contrast and superior black levels.

Well I can say one thing for sure; there's a noticeable difference between the display on the Note 2 over my previous phone, the Galaxy Nexus.

On my Gnex, if you where anywhere below half brightness, it ghosted and had pretty bad color banding, esp. on any grayscale backgrounds (like in the WordFeud game I play a lot or in the browser). I would often change screens and still see the previous imaged burned in for several seconds and see some horizontal lines of noticeable color mismatching. I know it wasn't just my phone too, my friends Gnex does it and I've seen several people complaining about it in other Android forums.

The Note 2 doesn't demonstrate any of this. There may be some very slight ghosting on moving objects/text when on the lowest brightness, but you really have to be looking for it to notice it. I don't see any of the temporary burn in at all when changing images on the screen like I saw on the Gnex. I thought the Gnex had pretty sharp image quality though and could only occasionally make out the pentile pixel arrangement (mostly on white screens), but the Note 2 seems a bit sharper though despite the lower PPI and the whites are totally white. I think it's pretty comparable to my wife's Rezound (which has a 4.3" 720p SLCD, it's pretty much the only decent thing about the phone) in terms of brightness and whiteness. So overall, I don't know how anyone could complain about the Note 2's display. It's pretty damn good and definitely the best SAMOLED display put in a phone to date.

Back