Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/att-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-multi-window/

AT&T to update Samsung Galaxy Note II with Multi-Window tomorrow

Most US models of the Samsung Galaxy Note II have already been updated with Multi-Window -- a split-screen feature that allows users to view two apps at once -- but AT&T is the last of the four national powers that hasn't pushed the feature out to its customers. That will change tomorrow, as AT&T has confirmed to us in an email that it will roll out the new build over the air at some point during the day. We're happy that users won't have to rely on Samsung's proprietary Kies desktop software to update their devices, but minor downloads like this are typically facilitated OTA. There's no word on if the ROM will be pushed out in phases to minimalize the impact on AT&T's servers, but don't be terribly worried if you don't get notified right away. Continue below to read the carrier's official statement on the matter.

Here's AT&T's full statement:

AT&T plans to begin rolling out a software update for Samsung Galaxy Note II customers that includes the Multi-Window feature, which allows the user to divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications. The update will be available for download over the air beginning Dec. 27.

I'm sure they'll stagger the release so there servers don't get hammered. Probably take a few days for everyone to get it.

I flashed CleanROM to my Verizon Note last night and am pretty happy with it. I already manually fixed most of the Verizon modifications in the stock ROM, but there were still a few minor annoyances that I couldn't find any permanent fixes for (ongoing WiFi notification and the useless E911 icon in the notification bar), so I flashed this ROM so my Note would be the way Samsung intended it to be since it's based off of the international Note 2's 4.1.2 ROM. Adding any app that I want to the multi-window menu is pretty awesome too. Most apps work perfectly, so I'm surprised that Samsung didn't enable this in the first place.

So I highly recommend this ROM, esp. if you're on Verizon. It's pretty cool wben you go to flash it in recovery too; it brings up this nice GUI that lets you select all the apps\feafures\kernels you want included, something I've never seen before on my Gnex or OG Droid. Very well implemented.

Does anyone know if 4.1.2 was released for Rogers yet?

Like a poster above, I initially had a software update notification, but went away. And since I've gone back to 'check for updates,' nothing has been there.

I can't find any information on 4.1.2 coming to the Note 2. Just for the SGS2 and Note 1 in January.

I would agree for any other phone. I would like to use my Note as a Note though and not just as a big-ass phone :p.

Atom Launcher at least works fine with the digitizer bits, apart from the Page Buddy bit. IME, so long as you have the spen bits installed.

Atom Launcher at least works fine with the digitizer bits, apart from the Page Buddy bit. IME, so long as you have the spen bits installed.

Oh, so you're still running a TW ROM, but just with a different launcher? I'm already doing that with Nova. I just don't want to lose the additional TW functionality with the camera and S-pen apps, so I'm sticking with TW based ROMs.

Oh, so you're still running a TW ROM, but just with a different launcher? I'm already doing that with Nova. I just don't want to lose the additional TW functionality with the camera and S-pen apps, so I'm sticking with TW based ROMs.

Bingo.

Running Mac's 3.5.1 TouchWiz ROM (A stock debloated ROM with optional TW customizations) on the Sprint Note 2...except I replaced TW with Atom Launcher as the default launcher. Only functionality that really no longer works is the Page Buddy shit for when you pull out the S-Pen and a dedicated S-Pen page desktop screen magically appears....or the worthless app suggestions that appear in the status bar pull down recomending apps you don;t want to use when you remove the S-Pen or plugin headphones.

S-Note still works fine, as does screenshot clipping, and S-Pen gestures for things like browsing....as does all the hand gestures to take screenshots.

Been running Atom for a week now. Quite happy with it....I actually hadn't heard of it until I went looking to try a replacement launcher on a whim.

Ordered one today

noteii.jpg

Ordered one today

I got the Note 2 for $0 on 3 year renewal here in Canada, might want to price match Best Buy.

And if you've been with a provider for a while, you can get retention plans. I got $50 tax/fees all in monthly plan, with unlimited text/call, 1GB data, caller id, etc.

Last edited:
I almost feel stupid paying $300 for my Note2 back in November....then I remember what it was like using my OG EVO4G...then I don't feel stupid.

Anyone know what phone actually is? It is draining my battery like mad even more than the screen and going into it isn't really specific, like it says "phone".... Thank you for informing me that "phone" is using my battery. It didn't do this when I first got it but started doing it lately. I factory reset my phone and still does the same thing. Mapservicesamsung is also really high at battery usage as well and will pass screen occasionally. I would get 2 days easy out of my phone when I first got it. Now I get a day with maybe only 1 or 2 hours screen time Edit: sorry these are giant

fxff9u.png

ubz45.png

Anyone know what phone actually is? It is draining my battery like mad and going into it isn't really specific, like it says "phone".... Thank you for informing me that "phone" is using my battery. It didn't do this when I first got it but started doing it lately. I factory reset my phone and still does the same thing. Edit: sorry these are giant

It's phone usage. How much have you talked on the phone in the past day? 40 minutes? The only thing I can think of would be you having your phones wifi disabled while you're around wifi. If you're doing that, you're phone will eat more battery due to it polling the towers more often.
Either way you have a full day plus 5 hours, so I'd be happy with it. What's your screen on time, for comparison?

Right now im at 29% and screen time is 1h 49 min.

I edited my post above and touched on wifi related stuff. I do agree with what you said, but I'd be curious to see a heavy 5-7 hours screen on time with your phone for comparison.

Edit: Awww you edited the part out about 7 hours.

Edit 2: Were you around wifi most of the time, and if so, did you keep the phones wifi on?

Right now im at 29% and screen time is 1h 49 min.

Run Better Battery Stats and figure out what is draining your battery.

I'm at 36+hours unplugged on battery with 90 minutes of talking and 5 hours of screen on time, wifi on and gps on syncing on every hour... And still have 40% left.

Best Buy gave me $180 for my old phone that I got for free with a 2 year contract. I paid $300 for the Note 2 a couple of weeks ago. I noticed yesterday it was listed at $250 so i went up there and got $54 back.

Being that the phone cost me ~$70 out the door. With a 2 year contract.

Even a $230 difference?

No other retailer would have given me $180 for my beat up Inspire 4g.

Did you check eBay? I've seen eBay usually sell for around 30-100% more than a store (depending on condition, model, etc, obviously) but I've NEVER seen a phone be "bought-back" for more than the average closing price at ebay...

Also, I agree, BB sucks - though they are great if you want to go demo a product (even if their rep told me the iPad3 ran Android OS -_-)

Did you check eBay? I've seen eBay usually sell for around 30-100% more than a store (depending on condition, model, etc, obviously) but I've NEVER seen a phone be "bought-back" for more than the average closing price at ebay...

Also, I agree, BB sucks - though they are great if you want to go demo a product (even if their rep told me the iPad3 ran Android OS -_-)

Nope I wouldn't get that much from eBay, CL, or anywhere else.

They are also going to give me $140 for the gf's been dropped 20 times, pos, Nexus S when she is due for an upgrade in two months.

I don't buy anything from BB unless it's a hell of a deal. I know what I am getting when I go there. I go straight for it and get out. Kinda like when i have to go to a mall...

why are getting so much from BB, are you paying for some buy back program or something? Doesn't make any sense.

why are getting so much from BB, are you paying for some buy back program or something? Doesn't make any sense.

Two phones (3 years) ago I did the one time $30 buyback program. I'm wondering what they'll give me for this note 2 when it's time again.

I got mine at nearly full price from T-Mobile. Works pretty great vs my old HD2. One oddity is that DTMF give me fits when I am on wifi calling. I call carriers all the time for work and use their call trees and DTMF just doesn't fly. Turn off wifi calling and DTMF works.

Gave in... Proud owner of a new Note 2 on AT&T's network. First and second day my thoughts were all: "Holy shit this thing is huge". Now my eyes are getting used to it and the only size remnant in my mind is when one handing the device. It's big, there's no denying that but it's manageable considering the screen size you're getting out of it. So far I've been iOS since iphone through iPhone 4, now in the short time i've spent with jelly bean... I prefer Android.

I'm looking to get one soon, but still checking out some reviews and youtube vids before I make my final decision.

just sold my gs3's to purchase the Note 2. Boy was I a huge hypocrite of this phone. I am now a believer. The non pentile screen rocks in comparison to the GS3. Love watching videos on the larger screen too while on the go.

I ordered the N7100 international version on Saturday from Amazon along with a 64gb micro sd, the otterbox case and a pack of screen protectors. It should all be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm super excited as I'm upgrading from a HTC Sensation 4G which has begun annoying me more and more. It should be a big step in power and everything else for sure. I'm probably going to be sending it off to be waterproofed soon after I get it though. I figure the $100-150 cost for that is well worth it on a $700 phone.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered the N7100 international version on Saturday from Amazon along with a 64gb micro sd, the otterbox case and a pack of screen protectors. It should all be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm super excited as I'm upgrading from a HTC Sensation 4G which has begun annoying me more and more. It should be a big step in power and everything else for sure. I'm probably going to be sending it off to be waterproofed soon after I get it though. I figure the $100-150 cost for that is well worth it on a $700 phone.

Curious why you bought from Amazon over say..Expansys USA?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some questions....
First, how's the radio on the phone?....reception is good?, and also do most of you install a custom rom or are you using as is?
Thanks.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy this phone out of contract? I see they go for about $580-$600 on Ebay, but I don't remember if Sprint will let me get insurance on it if I purchase it from there. Other than that it is $649.99+taxes on Sprint's website. It obviously needs to be a Sprint version, because that's who I have.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for an upgrade till next November, but want a Note 2. I don't feel like waiting that long. It'll work out fine b/c if there is a new phone out around next December I can get it at an upgraded price. Even if there isn't, then I'll still be able to do it whenever I want then.

Some questions....
First, how's the radio on the phone?....reception is good?, and also do most of you install a custom rom or are you using as is?
Thanks.

Radio is perfect on my (Verizon) Note 2, worlds better than my Galaxy Nexus was. I would somewhat frequently lose data connection and had pretty weak 4G reception in fringe areas compared to my wife's Rezound and my Note 2. I used to never get 4G at my office desk at work (its kinda in the center of a large building), but noticed that my other friends with RAZRs had 4G right next to me. Now my Note 2 has it every time at my desk.

Yes, I flashed a custom ROM to my phone. But it was just to fix all of the crappy Verizon modifications to the phone. See my post (#445) above for more info.

Back