Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

Does changing my device hostname require root?

Also, I'm seeing some rumblings over at XDA that the roms from the international version may well be compatible with the AT&T one... That's potentially awesome for development.

considering buying an note 2 or iphone 5 :( what should i DO ( using iphone 4 atm)

considering buying an note 2 or iphone 5 :( what should i DO ( using iphone 4 atm)

What are you going to use it for and how good are your eyes?

My eyes aren't that good and mostly use my phone for email, browsing, and video.

The Note 2 would be great for those use cases and would allow me not to have to concentrate as badly on a 3.5" retina display (current i4s user).

I came from an iphone4 and all previous Iphones. Love the note 2, iPhone feels like a toy now but there are some things I miss. Automatic backups a. text messaging better on iPhone. Mainly picture messaging and how I don't get full screen until I save the pic and then the pics don't stay in the message and you can't retrieve old messages/pics when they are gone. Can't scroll through all pics from that person. The other thing with message which is lame is if someone texts you and you were previously texting someone else you open the app it goes to the old convo, not to the newest received message. Its just the little things. Like no next button to tab over to next field...really annoying.
Browser (using dolphin cause stock sucks) doesn't fast scroll to top. Email sucks, doesn't push for me so right now I'm using gmail and yahoo seperate and yahoo sucks you can't zoom out enough to see whole message and scrolling right is a pita. Need to find a better app I can use for both.

I love the phone though, dont let the small things make you think i hate it. Just need to figure some things out.

On a side note I called att and told them about the $49 special T-Mobile had going and they refunded me 250, do this phone at that price is a steal. I am also picking up a nexus 4 though to see if I like it. May keep both or sell one who knows.

Also, the screen scratches easy. 2 weeks and I already have a couple scratches and my batt cover is scuffed just from normal pocket wear. . My iphones live without protectors and never got scratched.

Another thing battery life is awesome. That was one of the things that prevented me from going android before, but no complaints here.

Last edited:
Well, I jumped on the Note 2 bandwagon, I swapped out my HOX+ yesterday...the battery life and heat issues just weren't working for me. I'm going to hold off on rooting until they AT&T pushes out the multi-view update, hopefully they'll get that out soon. Now I just need to find a case for this beast....

wow wow wow

got my Note 2 on VZW yesterday! I just pulled the LTE sim from Nexus, put it in, booted gtg! put the LTE sim into the Nexus and giving that to my wife.. who had a shitty phone on Metro.. that was a bit challenging.. getting vzw to activate the new Sim card.. but handled it.

I will probably wait a bit before rooting etc. came with Multi view enabled. I Love it!!

apparently, so... which is good imho.. activation/ moving phone numbers etc.. was simplified!

Do all VZW LTE phones need a sim card? This is new territory for me.

Yes, all LTE phones (including Verizon and Sprint, though Sprint's are imbedded and non-removable) utilize SIM cards since LTE is a GSM technology. Which is nice, because now all you have to do is swap SIM cards when replacing phones on Verizon. Though you may need to cut your card down if you're going to a phone that uses a Micro/Nana SIM.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What if you currently have a non-sim phone? How does that work when, say, buying a phone off CL that does need a sim card?

What if you currently have a non-sim phone? How does that work when, say, buying a phone off CL that does need a sim card?

If you do your phone change online then an option will come up saying that the phone requires a SIM card and they'll ship you one.

The other option is take both phones to a Verizon store (an actual Verizon store, not one of those crappy Verizon wireless resellers) and say you want to move your number to your new phone and they'll then put your current number on a SIM card for you for free.

I picked up one on the verizon launch yesterday. I actually returned a dna for it. It is amazing. The size is perfect. I am 6' tall and have fairly large hands. I can easily operate it one handed.

My 3 year old brought me his ipod last night to put some captchas in for installous and I couldn't believe how small the screen is. I feel sorry for all the poor suckers on iphones. Heck my old galaxy nexus that I passed down to the wife seems too small now.

Request for all you lucky Note 2 users - I heard it comes with a version of Swift Flow, the new keyboard from Swiftkey which isn't out yet. If anyone would be kind enough to verify this and possibly upload the apk, it'd be great.

Request for all you lucky Note 2 users - I heard it comes with a version of Swift Flow, the new keyboard from Swiftkey which isn't out yet. If anyone would be kind enough to verify this and possibly upload the apk, it'd be great.

have seen anything about swift flow on my note 2.

It's looking like this will be the phone that finally replaces my old Droid 2.

I had been holding on to the Droid 2, because I really liked the keyboard. I felt like if I was going to "upgrade" to a new phone that didn't have a keyboard, then it needed to kick ass in some other way to make up for that fact.

With the Note II, I feel that the extremely large screen as well as the Stylus/Pen more than meets that criteria.

Just picked up the note ii on verizon, upgraded from a galaxy nexus. I love it so far. Battery has been way better than my nexus in just the 5 hours I have owned it.

Got mine a few days ago. Went from S3-xperia T- to note 2. I even use it as my primary desktop (output to 22" monitor and using a bluetooth android keyboard and wireless mouse.) Nothing comes close to this phone!!

Just picked up the note ii on verizon, upgraded from a galaxy nexus. I love it so far. Battery has been way better than my nexus in just the 5 hours I have owned it.

You are going to love the battery life. It is amazing. I could play games on it for a few hours, talk for a few hours, and browse the web for a few hours and it would STILL last through the whole day getting 5 - 6 hours on screen time. My HTC One X and Galaxy S3 both average about 2 - 3 hours of on screen time before they'd be dead lol.

This is honestly the first phone where I noticed how much longer it lasts compared to others

Got mine ... this thing is awesome! Been using it all morning and the battery life is nuts. Still shows full.

I have one, got it on Black Friday. I love this fucking thing. I loved the S3 (but wanted to drop Verizon to go back to AT&T) and got this and am NOT looking back. I've already put CleanROM 2.0 on it.

I flashed the new google keyboard, camera, and gallery apps and they all work perfectly on the ROM that I posted earlier on my SGH-i317. Photosphere is pretty neat if you are outdoors, and I love the keyboard. It's a great combination of swype and swiftkey.

I'm amazed by the multitasking. I can literally open a 720p mkv video, pop it out into a little window, open a pop-up browser, 2 more apps, and a s-note at the same time. The video doesn't skip a beat. Multiview is an amazing add-on, and seems to work with the vast majority of apps. It really has changed the way that I use the phone. I typically respond to gchat/im/e-mails without ever leaving Pocket or my browser.

How long does the first intial charge from dead to full take for everyone? I drained the battery after I first got it. Its been plugged into the wall charger that came with it for about 3 hours now and its at roughly 70% (I left it turned off)

About 1.5 days for me without charge with normal use. Screen was on for over 7 hours.

About 1.5 days for me without charge with normal use. Screen was on for over 7 hours.

I meant charging the phone not discharging. I'm at 3 hours now and only 90% charged with being plugged into wall charger.

Grabbed one today. Canceled one of my off contract Verizon phones and got the Note 2 on AT&T. So no logo on my home button.

So far, I fucking love the phone. It's just awesome in every way. Once I get all the bloatware removed it will be all the better.

Only thing i dont like about the phone so far is that google wallet doesnt work and apparently wireless charging hardware is missing in the tmobile version..

If anyone is planning to be in tmobile it might be better to get and ATT&T version and unlock it(free, takes 2 minutes) which might already have the wireless charging hardware.

I have had my Verizon Note 2 for a few days now which replaced my Droid X and all I can say is holy shit this thing is the bomb diggity bad ass mophone!

Youtube ColdfusTIon, who has an awesome tutorial for transforming your phone to a 3D like user interface (root NOT required) takes an hour or so if you are brand new to phone but man, what a sleek and dramatic difference.

Also this phone is the greatest thing ever.

so.. I received it Thursday 11/29, charged before work Friday AM, didnt have to charge until Sunday afternoon! granted, not a heavy usage period.. but still.. this is nutz! Love this phone.. super fast, smooth, easy to use..

Picked up a Verizon Note 2 a few days ago. I am impressed with this phone's battery life and I am coming from a Razr Maxx. I did some curious searching and found they already have aftermarket 7600mah batteries for these phones. Damn!

Back