Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

I just replaced my evo 4g lte (gave it to my wife) and picked up this beauty. I have to say I'm really impressed. This note 2 is all that and a bag of tricks. Smooth and beautiful. Very happy with it so far.

It's going to take more than a Note 2 for $300 to corral me into another 2 year contract. Make me think you want me stay as a customer, how about a free phone every year for as long as I pay the bill. Phones for Life, Life Phones.

Yeah - while the Note 2 is seriously tempting - I think I'm gonna get an unlocked Nexus 4 and drop AT&T all together and go with the $30/month T-mobile plan. I hardly ever use my phone as a phone.

Got a chance to play with a Note 2 more today (so far I had only handled a display model). Really impressed with how Samsung made it larger but feel smaller. I can definitely one-hand it for most things. Handling an SGS3 after felt TINY, and don't get me started on my SGS2.

I'm less opposed now to a Note-series device, but I think I'm still leaning towards a 4.5"-5.0" display on my next device. So now, I have three devices I will consider sometime in 2013;

-SGS4 (April/May timeframe)
-SGN3 (Aug/Sep timeframe) (darkhorse, but I'll look at it)
-"Nexus 5" (Oct/Nov timeframe)

However, I'm definitely going to take a long hard look at HTC's comparable handsets at that time. Also, any device that ends up using the upcoming NovaThor A9600 SOC is going to be a near instant-buy for me, assuming the device itself isn't jacked up in other ways.

it is a superb device. that ionic case looks sick, wish I knew about it before I got the bodyglove case sold by Sprint (which also happens to be a solid case). phone is awesome and completely blew away my expectations.

Just got my note near 2 weeks ago through T-Mo.
By far this is the best phone I've ever owned coming from a HTC Sensation.
It's funny when you first get the phone, the screen seems overkill.
For some reason after using it for a while, everything seems just right.
Battery life is off the charts awesome!
Very impressed with this unit.

Not to mention, the looks I get from other commuters on the train when I whip this bitch out. Love it!

Getting an AT&T one tomorrow. Will be my first Android device. I've been with iOS for four years now, but I'm sick of how locked down it feels. Fiancé is taking my 4S, I'm taking her early upgrade, and we're doing a mobile share plan that will be cheaper than what we pay individually.

Are there any good Android guides for new users coming from iOS?

I am in need of a new phone, looking to switch to pre-paid Straight Talk, or possibly ATT contract.

With the Nexus 4 M.I.A. and not being back for sale for another 3 weeks, I am tempted to just say F. waiting for it, and get the Note II instead. Thing is, I have owned all three Nexus phones, I like the Nexus line, but the Note II does look extremely tempting :)

Or go on Cragslist and pay a premium for a new Nexus 4, but that rubs me the wrong way, paying $150 more for it, than I should be bale to buy it directly from Google.

Note II ? Wait for the Nexus 4 stock to replenish, but afraid it will sell out immediately right away again ? Or Craigslist Nexus 4 ?

Anyone else using their Note 2's with Straight Talk? My wife is having problems with MMS via data, no problems over wifi, and the XDA forums says that Straight Talk is throttling. Anyone else experience this problem?

I am in need of a new phone, looking to switch to pre-paid Straight Talk, or possibly ATT contract.

With the Nexus 4 M.I.A. and not being back for sale for another 3 weeks, I am tempted to just say F. waiting for it, and get the Note II instead. Thing is, I have owned all three Nexus phones, I like the Nexus line, but the Note II does look extremely tempting :)

Or go on Cragslist and pay a premium for a new Nexus 4, but that rubs me the wrong way, paying $150 more for it, than I should be bale to buy it directly from Google.

Note II ? Wait for the Nexus 4 stock to replenish, but afraid it will sell out immediately right away again ? Or Craigslist Nexus 4 ?

I got the note 2 on launch date (for at&t) and was also planning on picking up a nexus 4, but wasn't one of the people who were able to grab one before it sold out :(

Originally my plan was to have my note 2 with a (near) stock rom to make use of all the cool s pen features and stuff and then have the nexus 4 for all my AOSP cravings, but now that it's been a few days after, i'm just thinking if theres ever a decent aosp rom i'll just go back and forth on the note 2 and save the money. I could change my mind but that's what i'm thinking for now.

Ehh it's quite simple - do you want normal smartphonephone ? Then Nexus 4. You want combo device which will work as phone and offer tablet like usuability - Note 2.

Personally after getting N2 I feel my next upgrade will be Note 4 or Note 5 ;)

Hi,First of all really nice to meet to all of you here and I think this is the good platform for resolve my confusion about the galaxy phone I have a problem with my Galaxy 3 "when switching on a red light flashes all around the outer edge of the phone,and every now and again the phone switches off totally"so please tell me some thing about that........

This is a thread about the Note 2. You will want to make a new thread about your phone and problem as this isn't the place for it.

Comfort curiosity question for those with the device: how do you carry it around? As in pocket-case in pocket or holster or coat pocket or what? Feel free to provide a linky.

I went and played with a N2 at the store...and damn it is a gorgeous device, reading 5.5" screen and seeing it the device looks huge especially compared to my EVO4G. My concern is how y'all keep it safe yet convenient in day to day usage. My (relatively) small Evo4G is easy to whip out to answer a call in a hurry one handed...I think I could answer calls one handed with the N2 problem is how to carry it conveniently. I tend to baby my phones and hate screen protectors FWIW (My Evo4G has been nekkid since I got it and doesn't have a scratch on it for perspective, at work it lives in a Platinum holster).

Thanks for any input, gents :)

I can easily carry it in my pocket without anyone notice.

But im 2 meters tall so im not exactly reference :D

Had to return my Note2 because of a defect in the screen.
T-Mobile switched it out for free since I was still within my Buyers Remorse period.

Good thing because I also dropped the phone and the silver edge was damaged. The silver trimming is so fragile. My Iconic Guardian case just arrived so this phone should remain in perfect condition.

Wheeee someone came home with a new toy :D

Only thing left is to do is find a holster...

Best phone I have ever owned, and I still havent figured out most of the things it can do.

New to Android, so this is all new to me. For some reason, my s pen will sometimes launch things as if I clicked them when I hover. Anyone have a simular experience? Maybe I am just getting so close to the screen it thinks I am doing something.

Is there any reason to use Samsung's email app over the gmail one?

People keep talking about rooting the phone. What is the benefit? Similar to jail breaking?

Any battery lengthening tips? Is haptic feedback going to eat into it much?

Best phone I have ever owned, and I still havent figured out most of the things it can do.

New to Android, so this is all new to me. For some reason, my s pen will sometimes launch things as if I clicked them when I hover. Anyone have a simular experience? Maybe I am just getting so close to the screen it thinks I am doing something.

Is there any reason to use Samsung's email app over the gmail one?

People keep talking about rooting the phone. What is the benefit? Similar to jail breaking?

I rooted simply for running ad-free apps/os. I'm very happy with the performance of the stock ROM, especially compared to the lag fest of Gingerbread on my evo4g.

Running rooted and/or s-off allows much more freedom in the code you can install and run.

Is this phone easy to unlock and root?

Samsung phones never really come locked and are always easy to root. I guess the Verizon flavors might be an exception to this, but it's very easy using the GNII Toolkit. Hell, my mom is rooted, running TWRP recovery, & the deodexed stock rom, and she did it all by herself :p

The one thing I miss from ios is knowing when you will get os updates. I dont have multi window and I need 4.2 for gmail pinch to zoom badly.

I ended up getting one. LTE is literally 20x+ faster than 3g was on AT&T in my area. This is my first Android phone so I'm still learning. Is there a way to open the multitasking menu without long pressing the home button? On iOS I had it setup to swipe in from the bottom to pull that up. How about adding custom toggles to the drop down menu? I'm using button savior now and it's better, but not perfect.

Typically if you swipe down from the top in android their is a row of recent apps at the top.

Typically if you swipe down from the top in android their is a row of recent apps at the top.

I haven't seen this in any devices I've used. I can confirm that it's not in Touchwiz (so not available in is SGN2).

Perhaps it is specific to HTC or sprint, been on a couple of my phones.

Perhaps it is specific to HTC or sprint, been on a couple of my phones.

Ehhhhh? Neither my Evo 4G or 3D did that. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'm confused why any oem would do this considering holding the home button does the same thing.

Ehhhhh? Neither my Evo 4G or 3D did that. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'm confused why any oem would do this considering holding the home button does the same thing.

Actually, I think I briefly remember seeing something like this on my HTC Incredible when I was flashing ported ROMs from some Sense 2.0 phones (HTC never gave us Sense 2.x or higher). This may have been a feature in Sense 2.x on a few phones (Sense 2.x was fragmented).

it's more expensive than iPhone 5, good phone but too expensive!

What? Both devices are $650 off contract. And the Note2 is 2x the device the iPhone is. If anything it is the iPhone that is toi expensive and over priced.

it's more expensive than iPhone 5, good phone but too expensive!

On contract, it's the same price as the 32GB iPhone 5. Off contract, it's the same price as the 16GB iPhone 5. The SGN2 also has expandable storage.

On contract, it's the same price as the 32GB iPhone 5. Off contract, it's the same price as the 16GB iPhone 5. The SGN2 also has expandable storage.

Also iirc the screen on the Note alone is larger than the entire iPhone. In featureset it is no contest which is the better value.

Got mine this weekend. Paid full price at tmobile.

quick review.

Came from galaxy nexus with official 4.2..
Never used touch wiz before but i think it sucks so far.. Feels like im going backwards after coming from 4.2. Soft keys sucks & physical home button! Dont care for spen. Recent apps you have to hold done the physical home button . (Maybe this can be switched by holding the back button some how)

Hopefully Samsung will get rid of some of the stuff in touchwiz since its redundant with 4.2.
Overall device is fast with all the un removable bloat .

my buddy has this.. the multi open windows thing, with a popped out media player.. this phone so rocks! just waiting for VZW to release it for myself.. then pass my GN over to the wife..

another plus.. Note2 battery life..is freaking amazing! my phone GN was dead.. hours before his..similar usage..

Got mine this weekend. Paid full price at tmobile.

quick review.

Came from galaxy nexus with official 4.2..
Never used touch wiz before but i think it sucks so far.. Feels like im going backwards after coming from 4.2. Soft keys sucks & physical home button! Dont care for spen. Recent apps you have to hold done the physical home button . (Maybe this can be switched by holding the back button some how)

Hopefully Samsung will get rid of some of the stuff in touchwiz since its redundant with 4.2.
Overall device is fast with all the un removable bloat .

If you don't like TW, then use a different launcher and make it look more AOSP. The only S-pen feature you'll lose is the buddy page. To get rid of the bloat, root your phone and freeze/uninstall the stuff you don't want via titanium backup.

my buddy has this.. the multi open windows thing, with a popped out media player.. this phone so rocks! just waiting for VZW to release it for myself.. then pass my GN over to the wife..

another plus.. Note2 battery life..is freaking amazing! my phone GN was dead.. hours before his..similar usage..

All of this! I don't think I could ever go back to a phone missing any features of the Note II, especially the battery life.

If you don't like TW, then use a different launcher and make it look more AOSP. The only S-pen feature you'll lose is the buddy page. To get rid of the bloat, root your phone and freeze/uninstall the stuff you don't want via titanium backup.

All of this! I don't think I could ever go back to a phone missing any features of the Note II, especially the battery life.

thanks for the tip. gonna wait a bit for my 14 days return period before i start to mess with it =)

Np, and I'd check out Nova Launcher. This can be done without having root :)

oh wow, just installed the free nova launcher and i like it! More screen space and default jelly bean icons = ). Importunately the only think i liked from samsung was the accuweather widget and Samsung calender widget. they are no longer showing in the widget add screen. any idea why this is?

Back