Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

It's out of stock, but it's actually $49.99 with code rE155266e The code is good until December.

Btw I freaking love this phone! It's perfectly over sized like my handbags and other assets that I own lol.
I see this $50 dock as the most compelling reason to get this phone.

$50 is far more reasonable, $99 is a ripoff. $15 docks will be on ebay before long.

I hope I get a choice in color for that dock. I'd rather have the Titanium Gray instead of the white. Ha, if it doesn't come back in stock before the code expires, I'll be a sad Ralph Wiggum.

Note II vs Nexus 4 ?

I know the Nexus 4 has the cheap price off contract going for it, which is very attractive and affordable. But hardware spec wise, both phones are pretty much top of the line, each trading blows neck and neck.

The Note II does offer the uniqueness, huge screen with the stylus and S-Pen, and Touchwizz apps made specifically for the Note II.

I am a Nexus stock Android fan myself, but I do understand for the Note II the Samsung Touchwizz features are needed, as AOSP ROM's does not have specific stylus or S-Pen features and apps made exactly for Phablets yet.

So...Nexus 4 off contract , or Note II on contracts with which carrier ?

Nexus 4. Stick to full Google Experience. You never know when Samsung will upgrade that to 4.2 or key lime pie.

BTW, rumors suggest that the multi windows mode to be coming to the SG3

Last edited:
My biggest objection to the nexus 4 is (based on early reviews) poor battery life. The note has razr max hd type battery life. To be honest I think I'm leaning towards the note ii with the razr hd as a close second but watiing on more reviews. Naturally everyone has different priorities ranging from size, cost, 'pure' google experience, expandable memory (sd slot), max volume, reception, smoothness, resolution, ...

For me the note wins in every category 'cept size; I much rather have razr or nexus form factor.

Note II vs Nexus 4 ?

I know the Nexus 4 has the cheap price off contract going for it, which is very attractive and affordable. But hardware spec wise, both phones are pretty much top of the line, each trading blows neck and neck.

The Note II does offer the uniqueness, huge screen with the stylus and S-Pen, and Touchwizz apps made specifically for the Note II.

I am a Nexus stock Android fan myself, but I do understand for the Note II the Samsung Touchwizz features are needed, as AOSP ROM's does not have specific stylus or S-Pen features and apps made exactly for Phablets yet.

So...Nexus 4 off contract , or Note II on contracts with which carrier ?

My biggest objection to the nexus 4 is (based on early reviews) poor battery life. The note has razr max hd type battery life. To be honest I think I'm leaning towards the note ii with the razr hd as a close second but watiing on more reviews. Naturally everyone has different priorities ranging from size, cost, 'pure' google experience, expandable memory (sd slot), max volume, reception, smoothness, resolution, ...

For me the note wins in every category 'cept size; I much rather have razr or nexus form factor.
The Optimus G had great battery life, superior to the SG3. The only Nexus 4 battery life "preview" had came from a demo unit that may be flawed. Since the Optimus G is essentially the same phone without the pure Google experience, I don't expect the official release Nexus 4 to be much different, if not better due to it being pure Google. You really don't want to make this judgment until you see battery data from a phone without hardware problems.

Last edited:
The Optimus G had great battery life, superior to the SG3. The only battery life "preview" had came from a demo unit that may be flawed. Since the Optimus G is essentially the same phone without the pure Google experience, I don't expect the official release Nexus 4 to be much different. You don't want to make this judgment until you see data from a phone without hardware problems.

Totally agree, the Nexus 4 review units did not have the official final build yet. Was missing the big new feature of Widgets on the lock screen.

The Nexus 4 will get better battery life than the Optimus G. Wait for custom ROM kernels, I see it being very good on battery life.

For me price is everything, and at $349 for an off contract phone, the Nexus 4 is too good a deal to pass up. Activate it on Straight Talk for $45/Month, and that is too sweat a deal not to go with. My Brother has the GSM Galaxy Nexus on ST, said it is rock solid perfect in Chicago, no issues.

I like the Note II, but too rich for my blood at this point.

Just got a brand new Note 2 T Mobile for $550 yesterday from Craigslist. Man this thing is hugeeee. It makes my GS3 look small...which makes the HTC Sensation even smaller.

So which case would you guys recommend? I was looking at the Ionic Guardian case for about $10. The Otterbox is another option but at $60, it's too expensive.

Just got a brand new Note 2 T Mobile for $550 yesterday from Craigslist. Man this thing is hugeeee. It makes my GS3 look small...which makes the HTC Sensation even smaller.

So which case would you guys recommend? I was looking at the Ionic Guardian case for about $10. The Otterbox is another option but at $60, it's too expensive.

So you drop $550 on a phone but a case for $60 is too expensive, lol :p

So you drop $550 on a phone but a case for $60 is too expensive, lol :p

Its all about perceived value, at least to me it is. 550 for a phone which I use everyday, adds productivity thats ok, 60 bucks for a case that protects my phone or $10 for a case that protects my phone hmmmm.

I am just kidding with you, but there is a reason Otterboxes cost more than other cases. If the $10 case provides adequate protection for you then by all means get it and save your money.

But now days almost everyone carries insurance, question is how often do you drop the phone? If you are my sister you probably want a case. Me, not so much. I don't use cases, never had a broken screen. I do use screen protectors though because when I tend to leave my phone face down because I do not like the light at night or to bug people in meetings, a little bit of sand on a desk will scratch the screen.

The $60 for an otterbox is kinda high, I bet you can find something more reasonable.

Despite some of the small fallbacks and with those Windows 8 tablets being out of stock EVERYWHERE I just bit the bullet and got myself the international model for $670. It'll probably be my permanent phone until the Note 3. I'm willing to trade off some performance for the massive screen estate and lte is just a novelty when I think about it since all I use is straighttalk and tmobile prepaid. The international model always has more of a community too, so that's a big plus.

How is the size for every day use ? I find my Galaxy Nexus to be about as big as I want, and looking at the Nexus 4 for my next phone. But the Note II does look awesome, and the S-Pen Stylus features do look good for business possibly.

How is it holding up the Note II to your ear for phone calls ? Is it hard to hold like that ? Or one hand texting ? Seems like it would be hard to hold in the palm of your hand and text, all with just one hand, like I can with the Nexus ?

My mom and I have both had one for a little over a week and we love them! The weight & size makes you more aware of the device and it actually feels much more secure in my hand as a phone compared to my E4GT, For texting, I've always preferred to use two hands and still do, but Samsung has one hand operation which moves the keyboard/dialer to the right or left making one hand use much easier. I remember people at work kinda freaking out about the size of the 4.3" Evo 4G a few years ago and that became the norm, so I'm expecting 5"+ phones to become the norm over the next year or two.

One last thing. When I first opened the box, the phone looked so huge inside that I turned my head in disbelief lol. I was REALLY scared until I actually pulled it out and fell in love with the size after a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
I'm due for an upgrade in March but may simply buy an unsubsidized Verizon version and keep my grandfathered unlimited data. Got to play with one a bit at a large booth Samsung had set up at a mall and they're nice. I'm really liking it. Didn't get a chance to play with the pen, though. Hopefully early next year, I'll pick one up.

I'm due for an upgrade in March but may simply buy an unsubsidized Verizon version and keep my grandfathered unlimited data. Got to play with one a bit at a large booth Samsung had set up at a mall and they're nice. I'm really liking it. Didn't get a chance to play with the pen, though. Hopefully early next year, I'll pick one up.

That's what I'm doing. Fuck VZW's share everything plan. :mad:

I just got mine for 15 euros ;) Plus contract with 30 months at 28 euros.

So far it looks awesome I'm really loving that big screen for net and reading. Also handwriting recognition tools with s-pen are very nice.

It's going to take more than a Note 2 for $300 to corral me into another 2 year contract. Make me think you want me stay as a customer, how about a free phone every year for as long as I pay the bill. Phones for Life, Life Phones.

My wife still loves her Note. Her coworker got an iPhone 5. Before my wife got her Note 2 her coworker was bragging about the bigger screen from the 4s and how nice it looks. They are RN's at the hospital working night shifts, so they get more breaks than the usual cause of how slow it is at times. My wife started to watch Netflix on it and her coworker couldn't believe how clear and big the screen was. Needless to say, her coworker is extremely jealous because she thought Netflix looked great on her 'big' iPhone 5 screen, lol.

It's going to take more than a Note 2 for $300 to corral me into another 2 year contract. Make me think you want me stay as a customer, how about a free phone every year for as long as I pay the bill. Phones for Life, Life Phones.

Same thing I thought this time around. Actually, second time around: I almost bit on the new HTC EVO X as well. Just gotta keep telling myself that I'm free and clear from my contract in 8 months and can finally jump ship to Verizon.

One last thing. When I first opened the box, the phone looked so huge inside that I turned my head in disbelief lol. I was REALLY scared until I actually pulled it out and fell in love with the size after a couple of minutes.
Uh... Heh heh... That's what she said. (literally)

I Just got mine today and so far it is an amazing device. Way better than my initial expectations.

I'm likely going to be down for one in a few weeks. I travel at least 10-12 times a year and ride on planes, so I'm going to try to get the 16gb, but put a 32gb card in it, and load it with media. I'll probably grab an extra battery as well.

It was between this or a top of the line Windows Phone. I was thinking Windows Phone, just because I thought oh, it's windows, I can put my desktop applications on there. I gather from the few phones I looked at, it isn't going to work that way though :(

Back