• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

The difference is that you'll use the terminal less often in OS X, where we make use of GUI applications. Those things Xerox invented in the late 70's.

GUI's are great and all, but even with the latest generation of them, there are many things that are orders of magnitude more efficient to do from the command line.

For people at an advanced enough level to be doing software development and comparing Linux to OSX, I believe that the command line would still be very important.

Personally, if I had a mac (which I don't plan on buying as they are incredibly over priced, even f they are very pretty) I'd probably be running Linux on it.
 
Zarathustra[H];1038658831 said:
GUI's are great and all, but even with the latest generation of them, there are many things that are orders of magnitude more efficient to do from the command line.

For people at an advanced enough level to be doing software development and comparing Linux to OSX, I believe that the command line would still be very important.

Personally, if I had a mac (which I don't plan on buying as they are incredibly over priced, even f they are very pretty) I'd probably be running Linux on it.

Why?

OSX does have a terminal / shell.
OSX has Steam.
OSX has an interface that is much nicer than Compiz+Emerald or anything else in the open source world.

The only gripe I have with OSX is Macports. It's slow, since it has to compile everything and yet it gives very little in terms of customization (read: inferior to Gentoo's emerge).
 
Zarathustra[H];1038658831 said:
GUI's are great and all, but even with the latest generation of them, there are many things that are orders of magnitude more efficient to do from the command line.
In some cases, yes. In most cases, no, I would disagree.

Example: I use an OS X app called CodeKit. It's a web resource compiler GUI application where you add various types of files (LESS, SASS, CoffeeScript, etc.) to its database and it monitors these files for changes, compiling them to their compiled equivalents (CSS, JavaScript, etc.), with various different options you can set globally or for each file. There are equivalent command line tools for each of these languages (in fact, they all started out with CLI tools) which will monitor files and compile with similar options. The process of working with the command line equivalents is an absolute nightmare, not because they're bad, but because they have no GUIs. Managing files in this way is strenuous and time-consuming, especially in cases where you need to set different options for different files, and it gets worse and worse as the number of files goes up.

In many cases there's no replacing a GUI app. The CLI equivalent will let you do the job, but you're generally going to sacrifice so much time and energy into dealing with it when you could just end up using a GUI and being significantly more productive. GUIs are novel for their ease of use, but they're similarly novel for the efficiency they can bring to the table in many cases versus their CLI counterparts.
 
This thread has been hijacked beyond redemption.

So in the end, other than the fact that they're coding steam and L4D2 for Linux, nobody really knows anything else. And that development is still underway with no release date.

So it might be another 5 years before we see any serious game development for Linux.
 
Back
Top