Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

not sure if this is just me wanting to see it, but I clearly see a O/ in the star/sun whatever on the main steam livingroom page. It's been getting clearer everyday.

O = Life

/ = symbol for divide

what does half of a life have to do with anything?

:confused:

I think we need to get Sculelos in here. He'd know.

It looks like a star and some sort of humanoid figure to me.

Star-Life 3. Gordon Freeman does battle with headcrabs in space.

A Gift from the PC Gaming Master Race
6KXYpvd.jpg

LOL, that looks like a NERO music video.

If I can get chrome and XBMC to work on SteamOS, i have no issue with migrating my HTPC from Win7.

If I can get chrome and XBMC to work on SteamOS, i have no issue with migrating my HTPC from Win7.

If we can get something like Mymovies to work, along with no issues playing mkvs, h264 etc, then I will gladly switch.

I'm also excited to load it up and try it as a desktop OS. The only thing I use Windows for is gaming, everything else I can do from Linux. If SteamOS gains popularity and allows native Linux gaming I'm positive there will be desktop oriented forks of it, that's assuming you couldn't get a usable desktop environment out of vanilla SteamOS which remains to be seen.

I'm also excited to load it up and try it as a desktop OS. The only thing I use Windows for is gaming, everything else I can do from Linux. If SteamOS gains popularity and allows native Linux gaming I'm positive there will be desktop oriented forks of it, that's assuming you couldn't get a usable desktop environment out of vanilla SteamOS which remains to be seen.

I'm not sure there would be a need to fork it for desktop use, because they're not locking anyone out of the desktop. Basically its going to be a debian-ish distro (i.e. Ubuntu, Mint) with finely tuned drivers from hardware partners, and boots into Big Picture mode (or whatever they end up calling the 10' UI -- if they don't do away with the designation altogether).

Its going to be easy to run other apps on it so the only question is whether Valve includes a dummyproof wizard somewhere to easily download and install other non-game related apps.

I'm not sure there would be a need to fork it for desktop use, because they're not locking anyone out of the desktop. Basically its going to be a debian-ish distro (i.e. Ubuntu, Mint) with finely tuned drivers from hardware partners, and boots into Big Picture mode (or whatever they end up calling the 10' UI -- if they don't do away with the designation altogether).

Its going to be easy to run other apps on it so the only question is whether Valve includes a dummyproof wizard somewhere to easily download and install other non-game related apps.

It shouldn't be any more difficult than adding the Debian/Ubuntu repos to apt-sources and installing Synaptic, assuming SteamOS doesn't come preconfigured like that. They'd have to seriously deviate from the upstream distro in order to break compatibility with their repos.

I'd imagine all they'd have to do is leave apt in place (if it is indeed Debian based), that would make me a happy camper.

Chrome and XBMC should have no trouble - both of those applications run on Linux (though, I'd personally stay away from Chrome or even Chromium due to privacy. Just my preference. Check out www.prism-break.org for alternatives, including Firefox). That's the great thing about SteamOS being an actual linux distribution (hopefully, based on Debian, Arch, or Gentoo. Even something like a Linux Mint Debian Edition would be great), you can run everything upon it that runs Linux, if you wish. They aren't planning to lock it down. You aren't going to be stuck to exclusively Steam approved app-store bullshit; if you want to "apt-get" a different media player like VLC, you're set etc...

The industry as a whole will be (re?) learning OpenGL in the next 1-3 years. I expect it to take that long before it becomes common place, even on windows, to see OpenGL builds of games. Either way I'm going nvidia next vid card purchase.

Allright, so about the images from the landing page here:
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

There are three symbols:
o
[o ]; and
o+o

here's my theory:
o = Steam OS
[o ] = Steam OS inside its hardware
o+o =
That last one is the toughie, and I think it's one of three things:
1. Each "o" is a piece of software. In the first two it's the steam OS. The third represents two pieces of software coming together, i.s., Portal and HL, resulting in HL:3
2. the "o's" represent a user software experience. The first is the experience of the OS. The second is the experience of the OS inside the Steam hardware. The third is two software experiences together, and is Valve beginning to enable split screen coop in their games.
3. Same as 2, except, instead of being regarding coop, the shared software experience is multiple box coop in the same home. i.e., one instance of, say, L4D running on one box, bot someone with a steambox in another room can join in with the person playing on the main system, but only one copy of the game is required.

I think it's something to do with multi-player on one screen, something that's pretty important for many living room players. The reveal is an hour away now.

Will there be more ore less riots than after the Zimmerman trial if they don't announce HL3? :D

Source2 + Half Life 3

Life.is.Complete

The End

As great as that would be... neither of those things have anything to do with my living room.

My guess (read: hope) is that Valve will be a major presence at E3 next year trying to promote their new hardware, OS, etc... and will probably announce some new games while the spotlight is on them.

Boo, it's a controller, but it looks kinda cool I guess

Edit:

I thought they fired the guy in charge of the whole controller thing?

And its a controller....lame.

A goofy looking one at that. Swapping analogs for trackpads is a curious idea. Looking at it, it seems like it would be awkward. But I trust Valve enough to assume it must work well once you get used to it.

Don't tell me you guys seriously expected something else. :p

This whole event was about Steam box, announcing HL3 is going to overshadow that. Naturally all 3 announcement will have something to do with Steam box

A goofy looking one at that. Swapping analogs for trackpads is a curious idea. Looking at it, it seems like it would be awkward. But I trust Valve enough to assume it must work well once you get used to it.

From reading the description the point of the trackpads in lieu of an analog stick seams to be that a trackpad offers a higher resolution input. The description of the haptics was pretty interesting as well. The whole thing is hackable so I guess we'll see what interesting things people come up with.

A controller was predicted days ago, you guys jusy rode your own hype train to HL3.

I think the controller is pretty cool, but I'm guessing quite a few people will rage hard before adopting it.

I've got a Phantom sized good feeling about such a "game" changing controller. lulz

I don't care about HL3, I care about an up to date game engine (ala Source 2). That's what I was expecting. Source is oooold.

I've got a Phantom sized good feeling about such a "game" changing controller. lulz

Since the platform is open and the controls appear to simply map to regular computer inputs other manufactures should be able produce gamepads with different (with more or less buttons even) button layouts and inputs if they like, or you can use a KB+M.

Back