GA-G33M-DS2R

Doesn't seem like it. It seems like more often than not, people have their overclocks hold properly. That, or not many people have DS2R's.

Hmm... PVHK hasn't blown his up yet haha..

Very dissapointed though. Waiting for RMA replacement

Hi :)

I m from PVHK post on Hardware.fr.

I'm proud to announce you my first MOD a VDroop mod for the GA-G33M-DS2R

here is the chip to mod :
img0165ck7.jpg

pencilg33mmy3.jpg
:D

I've reducted the resistance from 2.6k to 1.7k but you can reduct it more for less VDroop (300 ohm at least)

After the VDroop mod (not perfect for instance, needs to reduct a little bit more the ressitance):

2007072502h31vcorewg1.png

Does it matter what type of pencil you use?

Cheers :)

No luck OC'ing with unplugging all but one HDD for OS and 8800gtx.. still doesn't OC and also tried switching the ram in different slots and one by one.. No luck there either.

Really thing this DS2R is faulty :(

Waiting for RMA

Well, I've changed the mobo. bye bye DS2R, hello Intel Q35. Changed my A-Data 800+ 4GB kit to Corsair DHX 800 4GB. The system is finally stable. No OC, sure, but the damn thing is rock stable.
No offense but screw Gigabyte.

Well, I've changed the mobo. bye bye DS2R, hello Intel Q35. Changed my A-Data 800+ 4GB kit to Corsair DHX 800 4GB. The system is finally stable. No OC, sure, but the damn thing is rock stable.
No offense but screw Gigabyte.

Yes, if you can't overclock it must be the motherboard. You go from running a E8400 @ 4.4GHz, pushing the edge of what these chips can do, nevermind the motherboard, to a Intel board running stock everything and act like you found God. :rolleyes:

This Gigabyte motherboard overclocks great. It's one of the best microATX boards I've ever worked with. It's running my girlfriends E8200 @ 3.2GHz (8x400) with 1.2v in BIOS. It goes higher but we're more interested in quiet computing than highest speed. It manages the CPU fan speed really well so I let it control her Zalman 9500, that combined with a fan controller running the front and back fans on the Silverstone case makes for a fast system you can't even hear when it's on.

I've never said i was running 4.4GHz. Actually :) it was stock. Even after I've changed the motherboard with a same ds2r. Maybe it was a bad lot or something. Anyhow, my new Q35 mATX Intel board is rock stable as it should. Me happy.

So this sounds like a common problem with the ds2r?
It's a common problem on all of Gigabyte's boards. This is the third Gigabyte board I have owned and they all have done it. It seems to be a built-in watchdog feature that prevents you from running what the board deems unstable or else it's an undervolt issue like in the DFIs. It only happens at medium to extreme overclocks.

I have been running stock for months, because I was hoping this was just the northbridge overheating from a possibly unsettled Zalman heatsink. Well I finally got around to fixing this issue and still have the problem! So I am tired of this crap, fully swearing off Gigabyteme for life and am switching to the ASUS P5E.

If anyone wants to buy my DS2R - it's for sale. :cool: 80 bucks shipped!

I seem to be ok at 2.66GHz. 2.8 was my wall, and I've had a bit of rebooting problems at 2.7. Its alright where it is though, I guess.

I just wish I had a P35-T2RS lying around (I wish). I want to see how far my RAM can go. (D9GMH Ballistix)

Hmm.. I think it could be the ram after all that. I tried booting 4.0 off my E8400 on another set of ram I have and it worked fine and stable on auto mem settings.. But the axeram that was in the system NOW needs to be manually timed to boot almost any OC.. When before it would boot from auto mem timings @ 4.4ghz =/

Will try RMA the ram and if thats still not fixed the problem I'll RMA the DS2R.

Good time to powdercoat my SG01 :)

This is what I achieved. I did the vdroopmod made sure it didn't touch any other component than needed to be. After overclocking my new system. My corsair dominator died,processor and mobo for some reason. I bought everything new except for the memory I bought Crucial ballistix tracer 8500 and i got the stupid single sided. I hate crucial why they had to do this. They overclock like shit and even with more voltage they still don't run stable on 1066 or even 1000 mhz 5-5-5-15 I hate crucial officialy. This was my first build and the memory is the only thing that couldn't be overclocked like hell. And the vdroop is insane WOW. not normal its 0.1 that's HUGE. So if i have 1.6 Vcore it's 1.5 :S this is my Ultra Super Form Factor project.

My DS2R:

E8400 @ 4.0ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
2x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR2 @ 1068 5-5-5-15
xfx 8800GTX xXx @ 660 Clock 1061 Mem 1414 Shader + Thermalright HR-03, HR-11
Xfi Extreme Gamer
Seagate 2x500G Sata HDD + WD 75G Raptor
Enermax Liberty 620Watt

p100033789zd0.jpg

Awesome board for the price! Should keep me happy untill Nehalam is released. Hope to have a GTX20 with Thermalright HR-03 GTX and back cooler when the X2 brings prices down.

I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem as I have had for almost a year. The problem is: when I resume from s3 sleep and try to play live TV with my hdtv card, which is AverTV combo PCI-e, it crashes. Otherwise my DS2R works pretty well. There seems to be no answer anywhere for this..so i'm asking here..final error I get by the way is: APC-INDEX_MISMATCH .

Thanks guys!

By the way, my bios is f8b.

I'm trying to get a raid setup going, but i get a bluescreen/reboot everytime i enable it in bios. i've tried installing the drivers in windows, but it errors out and says that i don't have the requirements to install the drivers. i've tried safemode, but it reboots in the middle of loading drivers.
i was using f8e, went down to f7, no difference. i tried downloading from intel for the sb drivers too, but it gives the same error. is there something i'm overlooking? have to install drivers in bios? reformat?

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I'm not sure you can enable motherboard RAID after an OS is installed... at least I've never tried.

What I've done that works in XP is have a floppy disk ready with the core RAID drivers, enable RAID in the BIOS, configure the RAID through it's pre-boot config, boot off the Windows XP install CD, put the floppy disk in, press F6 to load the RAID drivers off the floppy disk at the right time, install Windows the rest of the way normally. Once I get to the desktop install the rest of the motherboard and RAID drivers.

(Because it's such a PITA and because so many motherboard RAIDs are flaky and little more than glorified software RAID, I rarely configuring a computer this way.)

nray is partially right.

While you can perfecly go from a RAID or AHCI configuration to an IDE configuration (provided you're using RAID1, or single disk on the system drive) without a glitch whatsoever, it is a MAJOR PITA (and when I say MAJOR, I mean something like having the Moon falling on you) to get Windows working in AHCI/RAID modes after being installed in IDE mode.

That is because Windows needs the drivers to load BEFORE the rest of the system. And while there are standard IDE drivers Windows can resort to if the AHCI ones aren't being used, there are no standard AHCI drivers on XP (not so in Vista, but Intel is anything BUT standard). RAID drivers are even worse. The only way to get that working is basically uninstalling the old drivers, forcing the new ones substitute them, and then changing half of the rest of the system drivers (USB ports have different drivers with AHCI with Intel chipsets... go figure).

Plain and simple, there are so many steps and reboots (not to mention the following driver and file mess you get) you must go through to get that sort of migration working (including a forced install of the RAID drivers) that you might just as well backup what you need, reformat, and reinstall Windows using the F6-config (you'll need a floppy driver with Windows XP, and a floppy, CD or USB drive with Vista), as nray suggested.

A couple of years ago I successfully Googled a guide on that, but it was just too weird for me (and I know my way around Windows). Too many hoops to go through, in my case it was best just to reformat and be done with it.

Cheers.

Miguel

lol thanks guys. i opted to just install the copy of vista ultimate i had layin around. got the drivers up and running, but vista detects my compact flash drives as cd-roms. so i can raid them in the bios, but not while they're in windows. i messed with a couple bios settings, and now i can't get the first install to work (takes a long time to load, i believe i waited half an hour on the verifying dmi stuff), so i reinstalled windows.

I know not a lot of people are really into these MBs any more, I have been able to figure out how to find the BIOS Revision we all want, Like 4a, F4a is recommended for all FSB1066 processors.

Full BIOS:
asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-g33m-ds2r_fXX.exe
XX=BIOS Version like 3,4,5,6,7

so

http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-g33m-ds2r_f4.exe

Beta BIOS:
asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-g33m-ds2r_fXXX_beta.exe
XXX=BIOS Version and Beta version like 4a, 8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 8e

So

http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-g33m-ds2r_f4a_beta.exe

Heads up to anyone still having the issue with the system hanging on a warm/re-boot.

I reset my bios to defaults, and one by one changed things back to my custom configuration. It turns out that as soon as I changed the FSB and multiplier for my E8400, the issue would appear.

I then tried changing some of the other settings - it turns out, that changing the G(MCH) voltage to +0.1V from +0.0V FIXES the issue! (For me at least)

Hope this helps some people...

New beta bios F8j is out.

I am running F8E pretty successfully so I don't think I will flash it just yet.

so im guesing still no 1:1 for 800fsb? even with the new bios would have been wondeful for the new e5200

Actually maybe it was missing the 1:1 bios setting for the 800 fsb and not the 1066 fsb chips.

I am so confused.

If I had an 800 fsb chip I could try it.

But I will say the bios worked fine for me.

i would have tried it myself the instant it came out but sadly im 1500 miles away from my pc now :(

An update on the new beta-bios;
I have an G33M-S2, which also has a new beta-bios. F7j. I guess the bioses must be very much the same, as the only significant difference is ICH9 vs ICH9R. Anyway, the beta-bios for the S2-mobo does have a 2.0x multiplier for the memory aka 1:1 :)

I´m sure it must be the same with the DS2R-bios. So, now you have it.

I run 1600MHz fsb totally stable, without overclocking my 4x1GB el-cheapo 800MHz memorysticks, also known as Intels "free" overclock on the E8400:s.

ive updated to f8j but the cpu fan was running at max tilt so i set the fan control method to voltage is there any danger of running it this way?

ive updated to f8j but the cpu fan was running at max tilt so i set the fan control method to voltage is there any danger of running it this way?

No, it works as well. The reason for it being there is for people to be able to use automatic fan-control with fans using normal 3-pin connectors. It's a good thing, ie if one uses an aftermarket heatpipe tower cpu-cooler one normally uses a good quality 120mm silent fan. Those normally don't have pwm-regulation. It's mostly boxed fans that have pwm.

Sadly, the voltage-mode is removed from the new P45-boards making it harder to have a silent PC in idle.

been trying to overclock this board but my 4gb 800mhz reaper doesnt like the fsb being moved from 266, it crashes everytime on the boot memory test:confused:

been trying to overclock this board but my 4gb 800mhz reaper doesnt like the fsb being moved from 266, it crashes everytime on the boot memory test:confused:

You need to change the memory-multiplier, as stated in the posts above. The option for changing it to 2.0x has only recently appeared in the latest beta-bios, so you need to update to the new bios and adjust the mutiplier so that your memory doesn't get clocked to high when you overclock the fsb.

Also, if you use the performance mode extreme and auto-memory-settings your memory use extremely tight timings and can't be overclocked hardly at all.

The best thing is to use manual timings for the memory ie 5-5-5-18-4-4-54-4-8-auto, which works well with 4x1GB and also overclocks quite a bit.

Back