GA-G33M-DS2R

Running here Kubuntu from a USB flash Memory Stick. No problem at all.

On the other hand, has anybody tried the new 8e BIOS? What about over clocking ability?

No difference with the F8e BIOS. Same as F7 jus adds a new profile for a few new CPUs.

Do BIOS releases after F7 have the same overclocking options for 1066 cpu's? I have F8a now....should I be on F7?

just to be clear, what i want to know is:

if there is no PATA/SATA optical drive, can i use a USE optical drive, pop a Vista disk in the drive and then install the operating system to the hard drive.

Can this board install from a USB optical drive?

cheers

Do BIOS releases after F7 have the same overclocking options for 1066 cpu's? I have F8a now....should I be on F7?
According to BX_TECH_GOD, one post above yours, there are the same overclocking options with F8e (my guess is F8a should be the same, they're betas of the same final BIOS.

However, if you're looking for the 1:1 divider for 1066MHz FSB, you just need to check the appropriate BIOS config: you should have at least "2x" and "2.66x". "2x" equals 1:1 divider.

just to be clear, what i want to know is:

if there is no PATA/SATA optical drive, can i use a USE optical drive, pop a Vista disk in the drive and then install the operating system to the hard drive.

Can this board install from a USB optical drive?

cheers
Since 100fuegos is booting from a USB stick, the answer is most likely "Yes". The BIOS clearly accepts booting from USB, so you should be fine there.

Cheers.

Miguel

Just plug in a USB stick, a fast one, boot the system and install your OS of choice from the optical unit to your USB flash drive. That's what I did with Kubuntu / Ubuntu, assuming Windows shouldn't be any different.

BTW I'am still using F4a here, its a PITA to try a different BIOS now that I got everything running smooth.

What happened with this board?? No one appears to be selling this board anymore here in the US. I stepped away from SFF for a few months and just went to order one of these. Bummer.

Any one know if this board is capatable with a 9800GX2. I have this mobo, but have been hearing warnings about the 9800GX2 and motehrboards.

Thanks!:D

What happened with this board?? No one appears to be selling this board anymore here in the US. I stepped away from SFF for a few months and just went to order one of these. Bummer.

The DS2R is being phased out it appears. Wether by Gigabyte themself or just stores that are getting fewer buyers asking for the DS2R its hard to say for sure. Most people around here have moved to the ASUS P5K-VM and the P5E-VM HDMI as they are newer and better. The P5E-VM HDMI in particular has become the more popular mATX mobo. Gigabyte has released some new mATX mobos since the DS2R but none as popular as their DS2R. My guess is some time this summer we'll see more offerings from Gigabyte once the mATX version of the X48 chipset releases. Rumored to be in June.

I'm surprised, the board didn't seem to stay around very long. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Yea unfortunately the GA-G33M-DS2R is discontinued from what I was told by a Gigabyte rep. The ones they have left in stock are for RMAs. The G43 and G45 versions will be out by mid-June the latest coupled with the GMAX4100 and X4500 IGPs. So sit tight fellas.

Yea unfortunately the GA-G33M-DS2R is discontinued from what I was told by a Gigabyte rep. The ones they have left in stock are for RMAs. The G43 and G45 versions will be out by mid-June the latest coupled with the GMAX4100 and X4500 IGPs. So sit tight fellas.
Great, just great... Now that I can actually afford one, that it's price is as low as it will ever be (sub-€90 right now, which is more than €40 below the starting price...), and considering that it actually is the only board that meets my needs of ICHxR + 4x PCI-E slot, it's being phased out without a suitable replacement...

Oh, well, let's see if I can get my hands on one before it's too late... I don't want to have to wait untill Summer to build my NAS, my HDDs will overflow by that time... lol

Thanks for the info, btw.

Cheers.

Miguel

Still plenty left here in New Zealand, dunno if places ship overseas though? They go for around $180 NZD

I fired off three emails two months ago asking for three dozen quantity or whether there would be a followup and never got a reply. Little irked I got shouldered, delighted help is on the way. Let us hope it is indeed a worthy successor.

The GX2 draws more power than your mobo, but tell me, which is bigger, and which weighs mmore?

Just thought I'd post my SPi result with an E8400 @ 4.4..this board really does rock, certainly stable at 500FSB, as I'm sure previous posts have shown, unfortunately my temps weren't the best at load in the Sugo..
E840044Ghz10578sSuperPi-1.jpg

Have updated since to a new case, X3350 quad(Q9450 equivalent), Thermalright Ifx14(single fan), and at 3.6Ghz(1.33v), idle temps are ~20-23 deg celsius;), 30-35 deg @ load depending on ambient temps..this Cpu cooler is one of the best investments I've made(although quite huge), only downside is that it can interfere with big ram heatsinks like the Dominators in first slots..Haven't pushed further with the quad for now as I'm loving the temps, at boot its like 17 deg C.. I'm on the F8b Bios btw.

Is anyone successfully running 4 sticks of memory in this motherboard?
I've been running it with 2 sticks of Corsair memory and have two other matching sticks that I haven't installed yet because I've heard that in general 4 sticks will give you trouble.
Anybody with success or tips before I pop the two extra sticks in?

Thanks,
CB

which bios are you using t4orce?

nice clocking, is it orthos stable?

Thanks, well I've only used Orthos at 4Ghz for about 20 mins, but was overheating with the 8400. Since then on the quad I haven't(I know prevoius owner did testing with it up to ~500FSB), as it's stable in any games, every day use..etc.
Bios is F8b as per previous post.

if somebody is interested, the OCZ 2*2GB Platinum works super fine in this MB. Runs 500mhz 5-5-5-15 at only 2,0 vdimm, 0,1 vdimm undervolted. I guess they oc to about 550 at 2,1 same timings and guess that 400-450 is possible af cas 4 2,1 vdimm

The memories is really cheap!

My config is as follows:

DS2R
4x 2GB A-Data Xtreme 800+
Q6600 G0 + Schyte Mine cooler
8800 GT + GFX Chilla
380W Antec Earth Watts
120mm exhaust fan + 2 x 92mm intake fans
Vista 64bit
latest drivers for everything

fsb:333
fsb:mem: 1:1
mem: 667
mem timings: auto (5-5-5-18)
vmem: default
GMCH: +0.2V -0.05V (effective +0.15V)
vcore: 1.3250V (due to vdrop, cpuz reports vcore 1.260 on iddle and 1.18-1.20V on full laod)
PCIE freq: fixed, 100MHz
fsb voltage: default

So, the board is incredible unstable if the fsb: memory divisor is set anything else then 1:1 (2x). Setting this divisor anything else will result in getting the infamous message "Display driver nvxxx.sys has crashed but recovered successfully."

Problem2: running this board with 4 sticks of memory requires at least +0.1V GMCH. Even so, so board is not completely stable when running Prime95 quad and further stressing the system with an 3Dmark Vantage or any 3d intense application. Will get errors in matter of tens of minutes. Rock stable for 24+ hours? No way!

My temps are 48C on idle, ~60 full load, hitting 75C in full load (after several hours).
My case is Antec 3480 so its a micro atx mini-tower, not much room for a proper ventilation, however this behavior it is not normal.

ps. the northbridge is hot as hell. Should I consider an active cooling for the little shit or can I relax, not thinking the bastard will die on me ?

Thanks for all consideration..

4x2 GB RAM could be too stresfull for the chipset. I had 4x1 GB and now I have 2x2 GB A-DATA DDR2 800+ and all is running just fine.

I am completely new to OCing but was wondering if anyone could help me on this issue,
I have the g33m-ds2r MB as well, But i have no idea how to OC it,
Currently my setup is
E8400
g33m-ds2r MB
2X2 G.skill pc8500 ram
8800 gts g92 gpu

Like i said, i am completely new to this, if anyone is running the same chip with this board, could you please give me some insight of what i may need to change on the bios to get around 3.6 to 3.8 possibly??
I am not really worried about further than 3.8 but i really do not know what to change in the bios for my ram, pci stuff or anything else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated on some settings you would suggest for me to start out with,

Where are you guys getting these boards still? I've had no luck finding them anywhere. :(

Myth:
in bios, main menu, press CTRL+F1 (more OC option will be available)
set the following:

fsb: 445
PCIE: 100
ram latencies: auto
ram to fsb: 2x (1:1)
--------------------------

fsb voltage: +0.1V
CPU voltage (vcore): 1.4V
the rest: normal.

flag all cpu technologies to disabled (C1, EIST...etc)

and voilla: 4GHz for your cpu. (if the cpu can handle it)

Im on E8400 and only 2 sticks of ram (4GB) for now. Also, Windows XP 32bit for me (/3GB flag in boot.ini)
The system works like a charm. No more bsods and video driver errors. So to hell with vista shite.

@zero2dash I bought mine of of ebay, was searching for one for a month and 2 showed up on ebay
1 was used, other brand new, i bought the brand new one, cost me 150.00 but it was new as well.
had to bid on it, at least i won out.
@stege thanks very much, will give it a shot tonight, getting ready for work right now, thanks much, will keep you informed.

exactly. Vista sucks. Running E6420@3200 and 4GB memory. Works perfectly. And have tried vista couple of times, too many problems og uses too many ressources

Forgot to update lately on my progress.
Thanks stege for what you told me, on how to OC the board.
Did your settings and am currently at 4 ghz 24/7 at 1.33 volts on cpuz.
Prime 95 and orthos blend with no errors for 14 hours ran at same time.
Probably could go a bit lower on volts but not worried, it's at a descent level.
Really love this board, next step is vista 64 bit business edition monday, AOC bound

went to return some laptop ram today and went on an impulse buy at fry's . i decided to pass on the e8400 and bought an e7200 ($139), 2x2gb of crucial ddr2-800 ($50), 2x2gb of ocz sli ram ($60), vista 64 ultimate ($169 + $50gift card), and a 430 watt antec trio ($10). all after mir prices of course. also bought e2200 ecs combo ($79) last weekend.

anyhow, i'm going to be testing the e7200 and e2200 in my g33m-ds2r. hopefully it does well enough for me to replace my q6600 (3ghz daily) with it. going to see how high these sticks of ram go up to also... the crucial's were some weird IC i've never seen before. I looked up some numbers on them, and apparently some of them refer to being rohs compliant and samsung, but no more info than that. as for the ocz's i keep hearing powerchip, which are supposed to be darn good. can't wait to play... can't wait to play. camera went missing after i came back from my trip to california. so uhh... no pics at the moment.

i know that the e2200 won't do too well on the mobo as it's 65nm and 800fsb chip, but it's going into a full atx build so some other board will be it's home. i just wanted to see how it'd run on it. :D i want to do a crossfire setup right now, but prices are out of range at the moment. 8800gt is $139 and the 3870 is still $139 (not worth it as the 8800gt smacks the 3870 around a little too much). 3850 is $100 now but, the 8800gs lickin at it's heals, but can be had for $79. shyooot.... matx sli dammit?!?!#!#?$@#!~$^$^*% yargh.

myth: dont go to vista 64. You'll miss couple of months of otherwise enjoyable life. Trust me!

Vista64 is now fine given the patches and sorted drivers, and it is the future for gamers.

dang... i was hoping i'd get something magical. turns out my cpu ain't all that great. hehe. i can hit 3.6ghz at 1.3625v (the supposed safe limit for 45nm chips), but that's what i hit on my q6600 also. hmm... likely i'll be ridding myself of this sucker somehow and trying out an e8400. either that or i go nuts and do 1.6volts or something... bwahaha. cool temps though. a lot cooler than my quad by atbout 10C's at the same speed. hmm....
4gb of ocz did well.. i hit 1066 with it. as for the crucial 4gb kit /w samsung ic's, they did 1000 i think.

System specs:

GA-G33M-DS2R (matx board)
E8400
2x2gb axeram CL5
xfx 8800GTX xXx edition
Enermax liberty 620watt

The problem is when I boot from an OC'd warm boot (restart) the PC shuts down and goes to a black screen and the monitor light flashes as it does of you do a OC that the system can't handle and it restarts itself but does not turn back on or reset itself again to default..

So I turn it off and on again and the light on the monitor still flashes

Apon the 2nd manual reset it decieds to revert to default, I then go into bios and set the OC again and the PC starts as normal, ortho's fine etc.

But come to restart the problem starts again.. It goes black and I have to reset the OC

Am I not getting enought power from the PSU?

My OC is:

9.5 x 464 = 4.4 in bios
2.0 ram devider putting the ram just over 900mhz..
Ram timings default
.1v over on FSB

1.38-1.45v CPU - Does't matter it still does the same problem..

I used to be able to hold the OC easy and not have any problems..

Is the PSU not giving enough? Or is something shorting or faulty.

A couple suggestions where fsb hole or cpu has had it even though it's weeks old..

Help :(

The problem is when I boot from an OC'd warm boot (restart) the PC shuts down and goes to a black screen and the monitor light flashes as it does of you do a OC that the system can't handle and it restarts itself but does not turn back on or reset itself again to default..

Same problem. Never got an answer. I'm stable at 350x8 and below, but the DS2R likes to reset it self every time I turn it back on. The only difference is that I'm using an E4300.

Im changing my DS2R to something else. Im tyred of all problems, I just want to play. Im going for an Intel board. Fuck it.

Back