GA-G33M-DS2R

Im using 2x2gb reaper

my memory has factory figures of 5-5-5-18
and I have been lowering the memory divider to 2.0 I actually tried it at 266x2.0 which was fine, as soon as i move it to 270 it craps out, this is ocz reaper ffs.

never had this much hassle with my asus:eek:

Im using 2x2gb reaper

my memory has factory figures of 5-5-5-18
and I have been lowering the memory divider to 2.0 I actually tried it at 266x2.0 which was fine, as soon as i move it to 270 it craps out, this is ocz reaper ffs.

never had this much hassle with my asus:eek:

It's probably those timings _after_ 5-5-5-18 ie 5-5-5-18-x-x-x-x-x which are too tight, they might have lowered themselves to an too optimistic performance level because of the low frequency ie performance level 5 or something. It´s the second last setting which is the perfomance level, it shouldn't be below "8" if you are running the memory in 800MHz+. So, try to set ALL memory related values manual as I said in the last post except the last value which can be left on auto.

no go keeps turning off, I also think your missing a setting before 54

I probably do, as I only guessed from memory but the principle behind the figures apply exactly as I wrote.

You must have forgotten some obscure setting for it to constantly turn off, ie to fix pcie @ 100MHz or something else, go through everything again.

Mine is totally stable at 400MHz fsb, and I guess it'll probaly do ~500MHz with relative ease if properly cooled.

okay worked it out mate I have the reaper c4 so my timings were wrong:D

however I have another issue nowI cant get the FSB to move of 267:rolleyes:

if i set it to to say 275 it restarts then says its at 267

Tried out a friends board, damn I were impressed with it.
I were able to reach 570Mhz FSB and 1140mhz om my Kingston DDR2's, at which point my memorysticks held me back.

Hi, I'm using this board and currently having a problem building a RAID array. Im using 2 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1tb drives.

I go into bios and select RAID as SATA function and construct the array when it reboots by entering holding down 'CTRL and I'. The array builds fine and shows me a workable drive of 1.8tb.

However, on reboot bios just hangs and wont get passed the verifying DMI pool message. It doesnt return any errors just hangs there for ages. Longest I waited was 15mins before rebooting and going back to using the drives as two seperate entities.

Anyone help me with this?

Last week I installed 2 x 2GB Buffalo Firestix Heat memory but I'm not able to run these at the rated timings of 4-4-4-12, the PC doesn't want to boot. The best it can do is 5-4-4-12. Any suggestions what I can try to run these sticks at the rated timings? Increasing the Vmem to 2.2V and the chipset +0.1V didn't make a difference.

How do you access the memory timings on this board? I dont recall seeing the option in BIOS (F8j)

How do you access the memory timings on this board? I dont recall seeing the option in BIOS (F8j)
You have to press Ctrl+F1 from within the BIOS itself, if memory serves me right, so it shows the advanced options, namely just about everything about OC.

Cheers.

Miguel

OK, I have just built myself a semi-cheap HTPC, complete with a combo Blu-Ray/HD drive:

GA-G33M-DS2R
BIOS Rev F8j
4GB (4x1GB) PC2-6400 Corsair XMS2
Intel E2160
EVGA 7600GT CO
PowerDVD 7 Ultra
AnyDVD HD
5x400GB Seagate SATA in RAID 5
Antec Three Hundred Case
OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply
Logitech Dinovo Edge Keyboard
Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
Vista Ultimate x64

...and I am looking to get the best performance out of this without going completely insane. At stock voltages, I currently have the CPU set at 350x9 = 3.15ghz.

Memory is currently 5-6-6-21-2T @ 931 (2.66*350). (The 2T is kind of bothersome. Shouldn't I be able to get this to run 1T?)

Everything is currently running quite smoothly, MEMTEST and PRIME run just fine, but the memory settings / dividers are quite puzzling.

So, those of you who know this board well by now, what combination of settings (CPU and Memory) might give me the fastest stable throughput, based upon your own experiences? Is there a better BIOS previous to the latest?

(Don't be afraid to spell things out for me. I haven't done anything like this since AMD dual-cores were brand new.)

Memory is currently 5-6-6-21-2T @ 931 (2.66*350). (The 2T is kind of bothersome. Shouldn't I be able to get this to run 1T?)
When's the last time you saw somebody run DDR2 at 1T? Not often, if ever.

You're thinking DDR. (Man. $300 Athlon X2s were the shit. Then Core 2 came out and raped everything AMD in the head)

Personally, I go for low FSB/high-multi overclocking, with my RAM latencies as low as possible. 9x375 will have your RAM at just under 1000. 333 will have you at 885.

Well, then, I guess I must remember more than I thought.

Not that anyone is going to be really interested about the system as whole, this little unit performs quite nicely, and the OC'ed E2160 was a BARGAIN. All temps are unbelievably cool, and all fans are LOW RPM. This computer is almost silent.

The only problem was getting the 7600GT to work with PowerDVD. Evidently, although the EVGA 7600GT CO is more than up to the task of playing a blu-ray, PowerDVD saw it as non-HDCP compliant. AnyDVD HD fixed that. No stutter or artifacts at all, and the video card runs cool as well.

The case is amazing, plenty ventilation and good-looking. I was thinking about going with an HTPC case, but they were expensive, and most don't have room for a full size power supply. Besides, they look like stereo components, and manufacturers of stereo components are trying hard these days to make their products not look like stereos.

I think that the only real flaw of this motherboard was not having a HDMI port (or SPDIF, but a $15 add on bracket fixed that), but since I planned on recycling as many of my old parts as possible, it wasn't a problem, especially since I was going for a budget build that would perform well to the level of its intended purpose, and the on-board video probably wouldn't have been up to the task anyway. This system absolutely exceeds my minimum requirements.

Budget was a real, but self-imposed, constraint. Although I could afford much more expensive components, I did not need them, so I went on a value-hunt for the functional and attractive, since it's going to be in my living room. I meticulously researched the compnents for my build, especially the processor. No need in spending big bucks for an expensive dual or quad core. In article after article, HTPC enthusiasts recommended the E2160, time and again.

The MB, however, was not something to compromise, as it's the heart of the system. Again, many reviews were scoured, and the winner was the GA-G33M-DS2R for its many features: best onboard sound, a plethora of of SATA ports, OC ability, durability, and, ultimately, customer satisfaction. (Not having to buy a sound card was a real driving factor as well. Onboard sound has come a long way.) The budget price was a bonus, and looking back, I wish I'd gone "open-box" since I didn't use any goodies it came with.

Since I recycled one of my old SLI cards, the 7600GT could be considerd free, as well as the DVD-ROM drive (which I didn't list. Who wants to wear out their blu-ray playing normal DVDs?) The memory was free after rebates, the power supply was about $30 after rebate. The keyboard and mouse were factory recertified, so they were only about $110. The combo blu-ray/HD drive was $120, the processor was $50, the five drives (1.3TB total) were $250, the cheapo wireless card was $15, the case was $50, and the MB was $120. Everything was bought from reputable online dealers (J&R, Newegg, Mwave, ZipZoomFly) on special using Google Shopping and Pricegrabber, searching for four-star or better components, as reviewed by buyers, and free shipping was a must, as well as avoiding taxes when I could.

A couple of problems, though. The MB would not post, regardless of the processors I tried. I keep a spare Celeron for this purpose, and I even used my Q6600 that I bought for my main system, too.) So, I RMA'ed it back to Gigabyte, which cost me $6.00, and they turned it around in less than a week. Same with one of the budget drives, for another $6.00. Lastly, Newegg sent me the wrong DVD drive, not the LG blu-ray/HD, so another $6 was spent on shipping. The bonus, however, was that they sent me the retail drive back, with PowerDVD and a SATA cable. (I buy most of my stuff from NewEgg. I can't say enough about the products, price and service. Although I always order free or budget shipping, I still almost get everything overnight, and there's never a problem with the rare returns.)

Vista Ultimate x64 OEM full-version was purchased as a three pack, at a hefty discount, and I sold one for a little more than I paid for it, so it's free. (My main system took the hit on cost for the other. By the way, my other system is almost exactly the same as this one, but it's got an EVGA 8800GT [which it turns out, I didn't need to buy...could have used the other 7600GT since I don't game], GA-X38-DS4, and a Q6600.)

My remote is an old Snapstream Firefly that works with Vista x64, though it really isn't supposed to. Just took a bit of research to find out how to get it to install right.

So...the grand total for this was about $770. It took me almost a year of patience to acquire what I wanted, waiting for specials and price drops.

But wait, there's more...I am going to sell all my old components on eBay, and have researched what they're selling for now, from completed auctions, and I can realistically expect about $400 (after eBay and PayPal take their share) for the DDR ram, ASUS A8N32 Deluxe MB, AMD 3800 dual core processor, ANTEC full tower case, burners, etc, so, bottom line for the new HTPC system is about $370.

(I have yet to get a tuner card for this, but I don't think I need to, since the Firewire port from the cable DVR should stream video to the Firewire pot of the PC, with a little research. Besides, if I want to watch TV, I can always flip over to it and/or record it. I download the majority of shows I watch, or go to Hulu.)

Anyway, if anybody's thinking about doing the same, patience is a virtue. :)

Again, thanks for the help, and also thanks if you had the patience to read this missive to its painful conclusion! Just had to brag a bit, and to share some information that took me a LOOOONG time to research and collect. If anyone's thinking about doing the same as me, they don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel.

Hello all, I know I'm a noob here, but I promised I've spent hours searching the forums looking for help, and can't find anything to help, so hopefully somebody will answer.

I've had a G33m-DS2r for a year or so, and have just started thinking about overclocking my E6750, or replacing for a wolfdale. Eitherway, I want to update the Bios first (currently F3), and I tried to qflash to F7 (didn't want to try F8j first, as its a beta).

The flash went fine from a USB stick , with the bios from the official site, but once changed, I'm getting crashed during the bios set up screen. After a random amount of time (1-10 seconds), it freezes. I also notice, it spends about a second with just an under score cursor top left of a black screen before the bios setup starts, which never happened before.

If I just power on through I get to the window starting screen (with the black background), and then it locks up, but I think this is due to the book order of the hard disks, which I've not managed to change in the bios before it locks (I'll try again, but I ran out of time last night and just re-installed F3, which works fine).

Anyone got any good ideas, as I can't find any one else out there with the same problem.
thanks

Hello all, I know I'm a noob here, but I promised I've spent hours searching the forums looking for help, and can't find anything to help, so hopefully somebody will answer.

I've had a G33m-DS2r for a year or so, and have just started thinking about overclocking my E6750, or replacing for a wolfdale. Eitherway, I want to update the Bios first (currently F3), and I tried to qflash to F7 (didn't want to try F8j first, as its a beta).

The flash went fine from a USB stick , with the bios from the official site, but once changed, I'm getting crashed during the bios set up screen. After a random amount of time (1-10 seconds), it freezes. I also notice, it spends about a second with just an under score cursor top left of a black screen before the bios setup starts, which never happened before.

If I just power on through I get to the window starting screen (with the black background), and then it locks up, but I think this is due to the book order of the hard disks, which I've not managed to change in the bios before it locks (I'll try again, but I ran out of time last night and just re-installed F3, which works fine).

Anyone got any good ideas, as I can't find any one else out there with the same problem.
thanks

Been using F8J since it came out and its been working fine for me.

Not sure what could have happened, maybe you had a bad flash or a corrupt file.

My advice would be upgrade to a E0 stepping 8400 or 8500 and enjoy 4GHz plus with reasonable temperatures.

I just recently got myself a DS2R with the oh-so-powerful E8400 E0.
However I'm somewhat limited with OCing/undervolting since voltages below 1.1 or above 1.25 are ignored - in the Bios it just says 'fail' while everest/coretemp/... read 1.25V regardless of the setting. I'm using the latest Bios F8j - what's wrong?

regards, Godric

PS: EIST & C1E are disabled (as I find RMClock and the extended level of control it gives me more to my liking)

I've tried F8J bios two times now, and have seen stability drop. In windows the system starts to slow and then freezes and reboots. I have checked my RAM and it has no errors with Memtest when I use F7 bios and is very stable. This sucks though because I wanted to upgrade to a Q9550 when prices come down and use the same mobo, but if F8j (needed for Penryn based cpus) is unstable for me, and Gigabyte doesn't release a final F8 I will have to get a new mobo also.

I'm under the impression that most people were happy with F8e. It also has support for most penryn-class CPUs. I know I am happy with it. I have been running it for 4-5 months or so without a problem. Dunno about later ones though. I don't think there will be a 'final' F8 as I doubt Gigabyte will spend time and resources on developing a bios for a discontinued board. That's why all F8 are beta. Gigabyte just add CPU support and testing is quite limited, I'd guess.

I have a new one, actually 2 months old, but used only once for testing CPU.
However I believe delivery would be expensive, sending it to you... unless you have an idea?
With delivery to us it would cost about £100

I have a new one, actually 2 months old, but used only once for testing CPU.
However I believe delivery would be expensive, sending it to you... unless you have an idea?
With delivery to us it would cost about £100
i have nothing in mind really, 100 pounds kills me in the US, especially right now, thanks though.

Just to echo some of the earlier posts about BIOS F8j, I would advise against upgrading to it if you plan on doing lot of fiddling with it (like to find the OC limit of a CPU, etc...): I had been doing fine with F8e, playing with settings and trying to OC different CPUs, but a few days ago I decided to upgrade to F8j. After an hour or so of fiddling with OC settings I got a corrupted CMOS: the CMOS and BIOS wouldn't match and some settings wouldn't change (as witnessed by CPUZ) no matter what I did in the BIOS. For example I got stuck with a 100MHz FSB on my E5200. That really sucked (the computer got real slow). Luckily I had saved F8e so I could downgrade back to it and reset the CMOS. Back to normal now (even though I just had to reset the CMOS once again, but that was my fault for trying a over-the-top OC).
The other things that tells me that Gigabyte has fucked up on F8j is that the layout and some settings' name changed from F8e to F8j, which is weird considering that the only change was supposed to be a CPU support database update.

Anyway...

Hi guys
It's been 18 month since a built my system & it's been solid as a rock.

With thoughts of me going to Win7 64 on the horizon.
I have been very tempted to go for this:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/310064/27-99-kingston-kvr800d2n6k2-4g-4gb-/

Can anybody advise me to any downfalls that I may come across (bios change, jumper settings, etc?) going from my 2x2gb that I have now.

Or would it be a simple swap?
cheers
guys

Hi guys

Can anybody advise me to any downfalls that I may come across (bios change, jumper settings, etc?) going from my 2x2gb that I have now.

Or would it just be a simple swap?
cheers
guys

Hi guys

Or would it be a simple swap?
cheers
guys

So you want to go to a different 4GB kit? Should be able to swap it and just go into the BIOS and set the timings manually. Or if you are going to 4x2GB, it should work as long as you aren't OCing too much. At stock I have 4x2GB GSkill at 4-4-4-12 1.9V running perfectly on this board, using bios F7

Dk975, thanks for the reply.

I just didn't want to set myself up with a load of grief, because my system has been so stable.

But I'll go ahead and do the upgrade now.

cheers for the help

Back from death.... :)

Hey all, just have a small issue. Lost my settings for some reason in bios the other day when it booted up, so I did the control F1 thing, redid them (I remember exactly how they were) and boots up fine but just loads up stock speeds? It doesnt reboot several times like it used to when settings were too much, just loads up into windows but the settings dont 'stick' on post? I jump back into the bios and all the settings are unchanged from when I overclocked them? F10 saves and exits right?

What is going on, maybe something I am doing? Strangely enough it remembers when I lower the CPU multiplier, just not my OC settings....

Back from death.... :)

Hey all, just have a small issue. Lost my settings for some reason in bios the other day when it booted up, so I did the control F1 thing, redid them (I remember exactly how they were) and boots up fine but just loads up stock speeds? It doesnt reboot several times like it used to when settings were too much, just loads up into windows but the settings dont 'stick' on post? I jump back into the bios and all the settings are unchanged from when I overclocked them? F10 saves and exits right?

What is going on, maybe something I am doing? Strangely enough it remembers when I lower the CPU multiplier, just not my OC settings....

Clear the CMOS!
Oh and btw which version of the BIOS you got?

F8J. Clear CMOS? I guess Ill have to remove my Scyther Mini to get to it. What will clearing the CMOS do thats different to reflashing the BIOS? Ignorant :)

I've experienced the same problem as you: BIOS settings not matching cpuz and POST values. It can be a corruption of the updating process that can be solved by clearing the CMOS (not sure why).
I had the same problem but only with F8J. F8E never was a problem (I reverted to F8E subsequently).

Thank you, this worked. Ill see how it goes and install f8e as per your almost suggestion :)

As for the BIOS version: it depends on your CPU, I guess. From F8E to F8j they are only CPU ID updates (supposedly. In fact they are different but Gigabyte don't care about it anymore, I think).

hey guys,

So last time when I did vista 32, all i did was install ahci drivers and installed vista, no hang on the completing install step... Before that, I had it on IDE mode and it would hang so.. I have no idea what happened..

now I am trying to install vista 64 and I did install the drivers from both gigabye and intel and neither work. It always hangs on the complete install and then bluescreens, then the system reboots and trys it again automatically... bluescreen again... If you guys need the bluescreen error, I'll get that when I can.

system is running off bare minimum, everything off except usb controller (to import drivers), 1 stick ram, 1 hdd, all unnecessary ports are off. Bios is F7, i have no reason to update and didn't think it'd help.

Before this, everything was working fine on my system, very stable no crashes. All i wanted to do was update OS =(.

thanks for the help!

I've had this board for over a year now running 2x1GB PC2-6400 800Mhz OCZ Platinum Rev.2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) without any problems. However I recently decommissioned another PC that had the same set of OCZ so I thought I would add them to the existing pair on my G33M-DS2R.
I can get it to post and boot with 3x1GB but when I add the 4th memory, the PC goes into a continuous reboot, each time with flashing power led and no display at all. It is only when I remove one and get back to 3 running in flex mode does it start up ok.
I have ran memtest with each stick without any problems, and have tried all the official manual timings suggested by OCZ along with manual DRAM and MCH voltages, still no luck.
Has anyone else had problems with all four slots filled? Bios is at F7 at the moment, not yet tried F8j, hesitant to use beta bios update.
I have searched the forum and not found anything similar, so sorry if it has been covered elsewhere.

Back