GA-G33M-DS2R

Anyone else notice their CPU/Case fans stay on "maximum" after updating the latest Intel chipset drivers & the F8b bios update?

I was able to get them back to normal by going into the bios and changing the Fan Speed setting from 'auto' to 'voltage' - but I was curious if anyone else had this happen.

Indeed it does stay on max. I dont know why.

Welp, I think my board is crapping out. I used to have it on 400x8 with minor voltage adjustments (1.42v on the cpu and +.1v on the nb...pretty much what it is on auto settings.) My system won't even post on anything over 395 now. :confused: Whats leading me to belive that its the mobo and not anything else is that my OS seems to give me errors of particular devices not loading up. Ie ; Video, pcie wireless card, usb, sound. All are at random occasions and I have to do several restarts to get it back to normal. Even at stock bios settings it does this. I might mention that the NB is ridiculously hot. :eek: It maybe a software issue but I was running fine for about 6 months with Vista (maybe I can blame this one on one of the updates...) Everything else seems fine. Memory test w/ no errors. HD is working fine. Any suggestions?

Somewhere after flashing F6 my IDE controller wont disable in BIOS. Even with the disabled setting it gets assigned a IRQ (from bios screen) and shows up under windows. There are no drives connected to the IDE channel. Not sure if its just me.

i just saw a crazy ass overclock on xtremesystems using this board.... 4.8ghz (600x8) on air /w an e8200!! mine won't go over 465 stable anymore. i used to be able to boot into windows with 520 on my e6550, but with my q6600 i can't do anything above 465. hmm... maybe this board has different fsb walls with different cpu's? i'm going to sell my e6550 and get meself an e8200 soon. see what kind of difference, if any, can be gotten.

with a e8xxx: one can hit high fsb with this board!
580.jpg

with a e8xxx: one can hit high fsb with this board!
580.jpg

ha! awesome! dammit. i regret not gettin the e8400 now. hmm... must get rid of my e6550 anyhow, and a new e8200 is only $174. so i'm thinkin... maybe i'll get that. i'm gettin all jittery. so happy i just got a new job too. woohoo! i can finally support my computer hobby. ;p

dang. i'm so in love with wolfdale right now. must go buy one. my q6600 max i've booted at was 3.9ghz, got into windows at 3.8ghz (422x9 was actually the first clock i set it too because my e6320 topped out stable at 422 on stock), and stable at 3.6ghz but requires a hefty 1.6v. i don't like that, but it does good at 1.3v 3ghz. i just want some good 24/7 use, and this thing just requires too much voltage after 3.2ghz. i can't get into windows anymore after 3.7ghz so i'm not sure what's goin on. i know i'm expecting too much, but hell that's how i was raised. ;p

Then... If I want use a Celeron (FSB800) with this board I can not choose the ratio 1:1 in Bios? :(
(1:1 = 2x) only 2.66 for me? :(

Then... If I want use a Celeron (FSB800) with this board I can not choose the ratio 1:1 in Bios? :(
(1:1 = 2x) only 2.66 for me? :(

that's right no ratio 1:1 for for cpu fsb800: only 2.66x since biosF7

those are some badasss overclocks on that E8400. i wasnt sure whether this would be a good board for the new quad cores, now i know, i need one of these boards.

Hi, I'm thinking of buying this mobo- would anyone recommend it? I'm returning an ASUS P5K-VM because of unreliability.

Has the 1:1 ratio issue been settled with a bios upgrade yet?

Is there much difference between the G33 and G35 chipsets in overclocking, if at all.

I have an E2200 @ 2.2gHz I understand it can be overclocked nicely.
A Gainward 8600GT 512m DDR3.
2x1g Corsair 667 cas4.
Copper flower CPU heatsink.

Will I have any problems? What do you suggest?

fsb wall for my e8500 which top @565 max on p5evm-hdmi!
Other pals on my french thread (HFR ) hit fsb@600+ (max screen) with an e8200 for one and an e3110 for the other...

i won't need to disassemble the whole lot, steal an old Intel C2D from school to put back in the system, load windows and update BIOS, then disassemble it again to put my shiny new .45u quad back in there...................?

Just update teh bios man..

I bought mine over a year ago and it had F4.. my mate bought one 2 weeks ago and it had F7...

Chances are you will have F7 if you bought one thats just come into stock and it takes 30 sec to update the bios with the program supplied on the CD.

i don't have a spare C2D, so if the default BIOS cannot boot a .45u quad then i cannot use the board, this is the crux of my question.

but if the latest BIOS is the one shipped with new boards, and it supports .45u CPU's then all is good...............

More than likely it will be a later bios.. Sorry I'm not sure if the early bios's support the 45nm or not.. try pm pvhk, he's the man with this board and many others.

I've wrote an email to gigabyte.

My question:
I need know if I can select the ratio 1:1 for the FSB:RAM with this motherboard and a Celeron 420. I want buy this motherboard but I read that only the cpu FSB1066 and FSB1333 can select this ratio (1:1) in the bios (the Celeron is a FSB800).
Can you say me if I can use this motherboard with this cpu???
Thanks a lot!
David

The response:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.
About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, we are sorry that due to hardware, GA-G33M-DS2R does not support ratio 1:1 BIOS

i don't have a spare C2D, so if the default BIOS cannot boot a .45u quad then i cannot use the board, this is the crux of my question.

but if the latest BIOS is the one shipped with new boards, and it supports .45u CPU's then all is good...............
If you have ANY non-533MHz FSB LGA775 CPU around, then you can use that one just fine.

Also, bear in mind that x3x chipsets official reference BIOS (which every single motherboard manufacturer uses to build their own BIOS) has always had support for 45nm CPUs. This means any 45nm CPU should at least be recognized by the board and work with minimum functionality, even if it is read as "unrecognized CPU". Performance may not be top-notch, temp readings may be a little off, voltages may be a little off, and you might even end up with a lower multi (for ".5x" parts, since those multis took a while to be implemented), but you should be able to boot to the BIOS and/or to your DOS BIOS utility upgrade floppy/USB stick.

In adition, new boards bought now are probably shipping with very recent BIOS already (probably F7), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, we are sorry that due to hardware, GA-G33M-DS2R does not support ratio 1:1 BIOS
That is a known issue with pretty much every x3x-based motherboard...

As I said earlier (or in another forum, I don't really remember anymore), there are limitations on the memory dividers available with the 3 and 4 series chipsets. To make room for faster memory and FSBs, and to cut off support for 533MHz FSB, some of the combinations became unavailable, because the minimum memory speed officially supported on these chipsets is 667MHz (DDR 333). 9xx series chipsets supported anything from DDR 200 to DDR 400 (400 to 800MHz memory speeds).

So, originally (and officially), 1:1 was only available for 1333MHz FSB CPUs. 1:1 for 1066MHz FSB CPUs came with F4a and F7 (if memory serves me right). That actually means they managed to get DDR 266 working for these chips.

Lower ones (meaning, 800MHz FSB CPUs) I believe are still stuck with at least DDR2-533 speeds (not 100% sure on this one).

Of course, some manufacturers (like Asus) have ways to go around these limitations, and Gigabyte also does. However, the "2" on this motherboard's model name limits how much time is spent on BIOS development (and how many options are available for OCers).

Cheers.

Miguel

-no boot with bios F4 with an e8400! black screen....
The first bios that recognize 45nm cpu is the F7 one! (but no ratio 0.5x available)

-That's no the case with p5e-vm hdmi which can boot with an old one (but cpu unknown message)

I wouldnt go over 1,45 for 24/7 on a 45nm. For bench I will go as high as the temp allows me, sub 80 i max load

Hey guys I need your help. I've read and read and tweaked and tried many BIOS options for this board with my 1066 C2D chip and I need to know what you think the best speed would be for the ram and chip. I've heard for some time that a 1:1 ratio is best, but I have yet to see that...does f8B Bios have the option for the E6600 1066 cpu?
Right now, i'm at close to 3.3 ghz...i've got it going at a 4:5 ratio and have the divider set at 2.5 and multi at 9x 365. Core temp idle is about 32c. Vcore: 1.31, Memory speed: 912, have my crucial 8500's at 2.0v, what else can I tell ya...rated FSB: 1460, core speed: 2190, DRAM frequency: 456.2. I need some of your help here so there's alot of info taken from Cpu-z. I want stability and speed..and want my chip to last awhile. Let me know if there is a "best option" for this chip. Would it be better if I leave the SPD on auto so my memory lists at 1066 and memory clock at 533? Thanks guys.

I was worried about this too. I bought the board in November, but never got around to installing it until this month. (it was for my girlfriend and we ran out of money due to medical expenses so we put the project on hold) We wanted to get an E8200 for it and were afraid it wouldn't boot, but I have a q6600 so we figured it was worth a shot. Well, it booted, luckily. I think the problem is that since the motherboard doesn't natively recognize the CPU it may set the voltage to something that is lower than what your processor needs to boot. The BIOS defaulted our voltage for the E8200 to 1.125v. Amazingly, this was the correct voltage (according to CPU-Z (our OEM chip didn't have a box with this info on it)). Interestingly enough, when I flashed the BIOS to F8b it tries to set the voltage to 2.225, which is WAY more than this CPU needs.

So I guess the bottom line is that you might have a problem if your CPU can't boot at the voltage that your motherboard thinks your CPU needs until you flash the BIOS, since every Core CPU has its own special voltage spec. There's really no 100% guarantee in this instance.

I have a question:

Do you need active cooling on the northbridge when running over 400fsb? We're running a 8800gts, so the integrated video is disabled. The CPU is an E8200. This computer probably won't be upgraded for a couple years so I'm concerned about a long term stability/reliability, while still being able to overclock a decent amount.

astral

Always god with active cooling on NB. Just have good airflow then its no problem I guess.

Run some Orthos Blend to see if its stable

Emergency Question:

Can this board boot from a USB optical drive?

Many thanks

As in Linux boot CD? Or BIOS on CD?

In either case, quite possibly. I imagine an external optical will be treated in the same way as a USB flash drive. Which does work for BIOS flashing.

Emergency Question:

Can this board boot from a USB optical drive?

Many thanks

Running here Kubuntu from a USB flash Memory Stick. No problem at all.

On the other hand, has anybody tried the new 8e BIOS? What about over clocking ability?

Back