GA-G33M-DS2R

well, i overclocked my q6600 to 3.0 ghz (9 x 333, 1:2.5) and here are the results.

i am kind of worried about the temperature readings. first off, the core#0 is reading way higher than the other cores. is this an issue? also, the overall read outs from core temp seem a little too high for my comfort. how do these temps at full load look to you guys, and what the hell is going on with core #0???

hi,

anyone of you know why the pci express4 slot is open ended? Could this mean it could fit pci-express8 or something? First time I see this.

anyone of you know why the pci express4 slot is open ended? Could this mean it could fit pci-express8 or something? First time I see this.
Simple question, simple answer:

According to the PCI-E standard, any card should be able to work below its stated max bandwidth, albeit with reduced performance. Which means you can theoretically have a PEG card running from a PCI-E 1x slot (which, by the way, is possible, and there are, in fact, PCI-E 1x GPUs).

It also means you can have physical PCI-E 16x slots with less bandwidth available (like on the P965/P35 mobos).

The open-ended PCI-E 4x slot is exactly the same as the physical PCI-E 16x slots with reduced bandwidth on other boards (which also run at 4x). It only takes less board real estate, which is always at a premium on mATX boards. Oh, btw, take a look at the P5K-VM from Asus - it also has a 4x open-ended slot (though Asus's design team forgot to move the CMOS battery, meaning you'll end up with an unusable 4x open-ended slot for more than 4x devices...:rolleyes:)

Bottom line: yes, you CAN Crossfire on the G33M-DS2R (or any other Gigabyte/[insert brand name here] board with the 4x open-ended slot), just like you would in a P965/P35 motherboard (which, btw, are the same chipsets without the IGP enabled...).

Cheers.

Miguel

hey,
i'm just wondering, is there any way to undervolt the ram? I only see +volt settings in the bios...

thanks!

My ballistix tracers run at stock 2.2?, is there any way to bring it to 2?

I wanna lower them because these ballistixs dont really need the extra voltage and i want to keep them cooler for lifespan reasons.

I have just brought the S2 version of this for a client but am having a problem with getting an Abit Airpace x1 wifi card working in the x4 slot. Has anyone tried this and got it working?

Thanks

well, i overclocked my q6600 to 3.0 ghz (9 x 333, 1:2.5) and here are the results.

i am kind of worried about the temperature readings. first off, the core#0 is reading way higher than the other cores. is this an issue? also, the overall read outs from core temp seem a little too high for my comfort. how do these temps at full load look to you guys, and what the hell is going on with core #0???

Mine runs at 80c for days at at time with no problem. core0~=80, core1~=77, core2==~77, core3~79. _IF_ all four of your cores are running 100% something is screwy about your heatsink, except you have very nice low temps so something is good about your setup, too.

Got it sorted. In case anyone else has any problems you need to set the VGA to boot from PEG2 first to get anything in that slot to work. Working now so great. Very good board

I'm an occasional PC builder. This'll be my third in 10 years. I'm considering getting:

this board
2x2gb gigs of Crucial ram (667 or 800, not decided)
intel e6550 or e8200 with stock cooler
wd raptor hd via sata

I'm not planning to overclock, but I'm after the best `bang for the buck`. I'm going to be doing .net development/running sql server, plus the odd bit of surfing, emailling, playing music/video etc. I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, usb modem. So if anyone can help me out, I'd be very grateful. I'm interested especially in answers to the following:

1) The e8200 seems to be perpetually `out soon`. Will it be out soon?
2) Assuming I go for the e6550, is there any problem running it on this board, in terms of bios versions/multipliers etc? Can I run it at 2.33ghz?
3) What about ram? I've read about some limitations on ram speed configuration in the bios. Assuming I'm running the CPU at 2.33ghz, is there any point in getting the 800mhz ram, or would I have to configure it to run slower than that anyway so I might as well get the 667?
4) I want the fast HD drive because I've heard good things about it, and .net development seems to benefit from it. I'd use usb for mass storage (ie i have some old ide drives around which I've connect externally) although I might use the IDE for one large internal ide drive.
5) What sort of power PSU would I require for the above system. I'd probably never use any of the slots and power anything internally other than the 1 or 2 drives I just mentioned.

I'm in the UK, and it seems I can build the above system for around £450. Have I missed anything? Any better alternatives? I don't want to spend too much more money, but as this PC will be my main PC for the next 3-4 years I don't want to cut any corners.

Cheers.

I have just brought the S2 version of this for a client but am having a problem with getting an Abit Airpace x1 wifi card working in the x4 slot. Has anyone tried this and got it working?

Thanks

Got it sorted. In case anyone else has any problems you need to set the VGA to boot from PEG2 first to get anything in that slot to work. Working now so great. Very good board

glad you got it fixed. i had no trouble running mine in the 4x slot. thanks for the heads up though, seein as how these cards are pretty popular.

alright people, can you help me out here real quick!

So I just installed the e8400 and in this mobo and tried to boot up real quick with everything installed including hdds and cd drive. It powers on but the cpu fan is not spinning. Well it spins for a split second, then stops and does it again. Is the bios not being up to date the problem? If anyone can give me some good advice here tonight I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanks

got it working. it was workign OK after all. the system fan and CPU fan still go screwy sometimes. is this a feature where the fans are activated and deactivated automatically?! going to update bios and see if it's still up.
by the way, if your system is making a low whining about every second, what component could it be? power supply, hard drive?

Mine runs at 80c for days at at time with no problem. core0~=80, core1~=77, core2==~77, core3~79. _IF_ all four of your cores are running 100% something is screwy about your heatsink, except you have very nice low temps so something is good about your setup, too.

well, for now, i bumped my overclock to 2.8 and i undervolted it a bit, so it's running idle, 31, 35, 38, 40. That shit though is making me think i need to do something like lapp my processor and heatsink because that thermal difference between the cores has a gap of about 10 from the lowest to highest. that's not right, right?

anyways, my temperatures in general are staying cool and under control and i need to take some time and clock it back to 3.0 undervolted. but, the temperature differences are bugging me greatly.

Just got this mobo with E8400 + Zalman 8700. Also got Crosair 4gb set [2gb per stick], but running only one stick

I am trying to do a clean install (XP Pro 32bit) onto a SATA HD - but it keeps restarting during setup. I successfully installed XP on IDE [then Vista]. Weird that XP Pro was working on my old system (S939 X2 4200+);

Do you think its my BIO Settings? I am not too familiar with the BIO settings but I did put onboard SATA AUTO [from previous selection that I cannot recall].

Any suggestions? Hopefully its not my mobo because I think I got the last one from Newegg.

[Edit] Thought of something. Before I format the HD, I still had XP Pro from my old computer - booted it and it went fine. However I couldn't stay on the desktop for long because it restarted on me.

[Edit 2] Found my solution, sorta. I was running one stick (2GB) of RAM and added the other. Successfully installed and boot XP. After installing drivers, XP keeps restarting [caught a glimpse of BSOD but restart fast that I cannot catch the driver in question]. Right now I'm reinstalling XP and installing the drivers individually (instead of doing Xpress Install).

I can't keep stay up long because I spent an entire weekend (missing some parts of the Super Bowl) trying to fix this computer problem.

AHH my gosh -- I'm having the same problem again -- where XP restarts during installation. It can't be my PSU (700Watt) because I've used it in my previous build.

That is weird man :confused:
I have the same processor and everything, but 2x1GB of ram on the two yellow slots, and installed XP pro on SATA HD 1. So adding that second stick improved stability a little? Can you try increasing the memory voltage by .1 or .2v and see if that helps. If it's not the hard drive or even the PSU, it could maybe be the memory. CPU cooler is installed well?

Good luck man!
I know it sucks to run into issues and I hope you get yours sorted quick.
BTW, can you tell me if you get weird fan behaviours if you enable smart fan control option. I want to know if it's just me.

is that true this Gigabyte board doesnot have 1:1 ratio? do i need to have 1:1 ratio if i am building HTPC? i am getting E8400 and maybe getting this board.

is that true this Gigabyte board doesnot have 1:1 ratio? do i need to have 1:1 ratio if i am building HTPC? i am getting E8400 and maybe getting this board.
Whoever said that the G33M-DS2R didn't have 1:1 ratios must had been smoking something...:p J/K, of course

As per the x3x/x4x series chipsets (everything starting with P31/G31, and ending with the X48/P45/G45), there are, in fact, CPU/memory combinations which are simply not available on these chipsets, while others may be available, if the manufacturer invests time in BIOS production.

First of all, lowest minimum oficially supported memory is 667MHz. Since DDR2-667 is really 333MHz memory dual-pumped, that means that, at least in theory, that would be the slowest memory compatible with x3x/x4x chipsets. As a side effect, 1:1 memory ratio should be unavailable for 800MHz and 1066MHz FSB CPUs, since these only work at 200MHz and 266MHz. And most of the time, on lower-end motherboards, that's exactly what happens.

With upper-end motherboards, there have been workarounds. With the G33M-DS2R, 1:1 was/is also available for 1066MHz CPUs in BIOSes F4a, and F7+; the only 1:1 divider missing is for 800MHz CPUs.

Asus, on the other hand, usually has other ways of circumventing these problems. I don't really know if 1:1 is available on all FSB settings on say the P5K-VM, but I do know aditional dividers usually come up when you dial an FSB number (if I select 333MHz in my P5B-Deluxe, I get more dividers for my 800MHz memory, so I can keep it from being stressed too much).

In short, right now the only 1:1 divider missing in the G33M-DS2R is for 800MHz CPUs. 1066MHz CPUs should not have problems, given the correct BIOS version, and 1333MHz CPUs (like the 8000 and 9000 series, except the QX9770, which is 1.6GHz FSB) never had divider issues, since basically those chipsets were acutally made to work with 1333MHz CPUs and at least 667MHz memory modules.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

i think then this board with latest version of the bios have 1:1 ratio.

can anyone give me the pic that it is support 1:1 ratio on either 1066 cpu or 1333 fsb? right now i am getting e8400 cpu.

I'll gladly call myself a n00b but I remember that I have to install SATA drivers during installation(F6). I think the reason why it worked the second time around (after putting 2nd RAM) was because I previously installed SATA drivers (trying installing SATA drivers didn't work the first time so I assumed that wasn't solving the solution). Once I get home from work, I will try reinstall the SATA drivers (or is it installing SATA controller?).

Weird thing is that I'm not running RAID and I tried using the AHCI Controller, and it did not read the HD after F6 (assuming that installation did not work). I've used the drivers from Gigabyte's website (one that extract it to floppy). However I think I have to extract it from the CD.

But how come I could successfully install XP and doesn't work again? Meh maybe it's something I've done.

I was thinking of increasing the RAM voltage but since this is my first time messing with BIO's settings (let alone OC), I didn't want to touch those settings yet.

Yes - I correctly put the CPU + thermal grease (used Artic 5) + heatsink correctly. If I didn't then I just wasted $280.

Smart fan control? Wow I never knew that was there x.x;

Technically I've build other computers, but this is my second personal build (using the $40 MicroFly). Hoping this mobo works because I was reading through this thread since December and I convinced myself to wait till the E8400 to come out. Yes it's stressful running through these problems but hey, what can I do? =P

Small problem. After putting everything together it's time to fire the machine up.. push the bottom... is starts, and the shut's down. Can't figure out why. I've tried to remove the RAM, and putting the in again one by one... no result.
The PSU is a Silverstone ST60F, so there should be power enough.
The rest is in my signature "New build".
Any, constructive, advice would be nice... thx.

I'll gladly call myself a n00b but I remember that I have to install SATA drivers during installation(F6). I think the reason why it worked the second time around (after putting 2nd RAM) was because I previously installed SATA drivers (trying installing SATA drivers didn't work the first time so I assumed that wasn't solving the solution). Once I get home from work, I will try reinstall the SATA drivers (or is it installing SATA controller?).
ICHxR chipsets have three possible configurations, each of them with very different requirements:

1) RAID mode, even if you don't actually create an array - all SATA functionalities are active, and you need RAID drivers - please use Intel Floppy Disk Creator, and download it directly from Intel's website, according to your XP version. Yes, you will need to do an F6-intall.

2) AHCI mode - all SATA functionalities are active, some of them can be directly accessed by software (like AAM and such, which is not directly available to software in RAID mode), you just don't have RAID capabilites - also use the Intel Floppy Disk Creator, and make sure to choose the AHCI drivers instead of the RAID drives, by reading the Readme file, while F6-installing.

3) Compatible mode - no advanced SATA functionalities are available (like NCQ), but no drivers are needed when installing XP.

Like I'm sure you already know, the ICHxR configuration is selected in the BIOS.

But how come I could successfully install XP and doesn't work again? Meh maybe it's something I've done.
You can try installing in compatible mode, then install the RAID/AHCI drivers, and then changing the ICHxR configuration in BIOS. The Readme tells how it's done.

wait, so the latest bios for this mobo has 1:1 divider for the q6600's?
Should have. The F4a and F7 had it, and I haven't heard that the 1:1 divider was removed on the most recent BIOS version...

Does anyone know what settings I'd use with a q6600 (1066 fsb) and 667mzh ram?
Well, Gigabyte calls 1:1 divider a "2x" multiplier, so you'll probably want the setting right after that one (2.5x, I think). If you're using a BIOS version without 1:1 divider for 1066MHz CPUs, then you're already set to go; also, usually the "Auto" settings set the memory to maximum available per SPD.

Cheers.

Miguel

Does anyone one what BIOS version is currently shipping with these boards? I am getting an E8400 and want to know if it will recognize it or at least let me boo so I can flash it.

Hey has anyone found a way to adjust the CPU fan speed from within the bios with this board? I have tried the PC health tab settings...but don't want my fan on high..maybe there's a setting somewhere in there to keep fan speed somewhere at mid level...so it doesn't get too loud...yet can increase as it needs more cooling. If somewhere knows please let me know..tired of this loud CPU fan noise. I have tried auto, but fan runs too slow and about 8 degrees higher than when I have the fan on full. I guess I could get a fan controller, but if I don't have to why? I don't want to use a software fan controller if I don't have to either, but maybe that wouldn't be so bad.:D

with the new 45nm penryns, all dividers are available. even under 1:1 if nessesary
Under 1:1? That's an interesting one, I really thought no mobo manufacturer would actually bother enabling sub-1:1 settings with 1333MHz FSB CPUs.

I always wondered why Intel didn't allow full memory divider availability with x3x and x4x chipsets... I mean, is adding 1:1 with 800MHz and 1066MHz FSB all that more difficult, since those chipsets are made to work with those kinds of CPUs?

I can partially understand dropping official support for Netburst-based CPUs, and altogether for 533MHz ones, but memory dividers for oficially supported CPUs lacking is somewhat :confused: to me...

Cheers.

Miguel

ICHxR chipsets have three possible configurations, each of them with very different requirements:

1) RAID mode, even if you don't actually create an array - all SATA functionalities are active, and you need RAID drivers - please use Intel Floppy Disk Creator, and download it directly from Intel's website, according to your XP version. Yes, you will need to do an F6-intall.

2) AHCI mode - all SATA functionalities are active, some of them can be directly accessed by software (like AAM and such, which is not directly available to software in RAID mode), you just don't have RAID capabilites - also use the Intel Floppy Disk Creator, and make sure to choose the AHCI drivers instead of the RAID drives, by reading the Readme file, while F6-installing.

3) Compatible mode - no advanced SATA functionalities are available (like NCQ), but no drivers are needed when installing XP.

Like I'm sure you already know, the ICHxR configuration is selected in the BIOS.

You can try installing in compatible mode, then install the RAID/AHCI drivers, and then changing the ICHxR configuration in BIOS. The Readme tells how it's done.

Cheers.

Miguel

I've tried installing the drivers from Intel website AND Gigabyte's website and no luck. Keeps restarting with 35min left mark. Like I've said before, I'm not planning on using RAID/AHCI. I've read the ReadMe file and used ICH9R drivers.

I also updated the BIOS from F6 to F8a (though should not make a difference).

Switch different ports and no luck.

Is there any settings in BIOS I have to switch before installing XP? Setting SATA with RAID/AHCI do no good because it won't read the HD.

My CPU isn't overheating - FYI.

:D and I dont know how to set ICH9R in BIOS.

Hey CAR8624:

Make sure you are using an XP disc with at least sp1 already on it.
Use nLite to make an up to date XP install disc.
Don't use F5 to load drivers during the install. SATA support is built in now.
You might want to remove any extra add-on cards that plug into the PCI slots.
Install with just your main C: hard drive and your video card.
You can also try disabling built-in sound, LAN, etc., and then turn those on one by one after a successful install.
Then use the CD that came with the motherboard to install drivers, then use the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website to update those drivers.

cb

I am shopping around for a good matx board that will support an E8400 cpu currently. I don't think I'll be able to wait for newer boards to come out unfortunately. From what I've read the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R and the Asus P5E-VM both support 45nm cpus.
However I saw that newgg "deativated" the GA-G33M-DS2R board and aren't selling it anymore. I didn't see it at tigerdirect or any of other vendors I trust at glance either. Is the GA-G33M-DS2R out of production? Would I be better off just getting the Asus off 'egg and waiting for a better board to upgrade to later on? Thanks for any info/suggestions.

Back