GA-G33M-DS2R

Check the XS forum. They usually explain how to do a vdroop mod better than anyone. Basically from what I understand how its done is that you pencil it and then try it. If it doesnt do it you pencil it more. Usually the guys over at XS tell you how many times to swipe it and with what pencil hardness. I think they generally use a 4B pencil but you'd have to double check on that.

Hey guys i have this board im running a e6400 with a 266 fsb, with cruical balistix ddr800, i was wondering what i had to do to do a modest overclock if i just wanted to increase the FSB to 333 from 266, the mobo is suppose to be able to do 1333 so i was wondering if i could just up the FSB and see if it would work for a 500 or so mhz overclock.

Hey guys i have this board im running a e6400 with a 266 fsb, with cruical balistix ddr800, i was wondering what i had to do to do a modest overclock if i just wanted to increase the FSB to 333 from 266, the mobo is suppose to be able to do 1333 so i was wondering if i could just up the FSB and see if it would work for a 500 or so mhz overclock.

Carefuly not to confuse FSB and total bus speed....I'm not totally up to snuff on this board, but I doubt it'll go over about 480FSB.

That said, you should be able to jump the FSB on your 6400 from 266 to 333, but you may need to introduce a RAM divider and up the voltage a bit on your CPU then watch temps.

There's a good overclocking forum here you should check on for specifics..this is some good info too showing a 6400 at 2.8MHZ on a 360FSB (not this board though):

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=2

do you know where i can find the memory divider? all i tried to do earlier was to bump the FSB from 266 to 333 didnt change anything else and the board wouldnt post, didnt know where to change the ram to. Pretty much a nub to intel overclock just want a modest 400-500 mhz gain i figured 8x333 = 2.66 ghz instead of the 8x266= that gives me the 2.13 ghz

do you know where i can find the memory divider? all i tried to do earlier was to bump the FSB from 266 to 333 didnt change anything else and the board wouldnt post, didnt know where to change the ram to. Pretty much a nub to intel overclock just want a modest 400-500 mhz gain i figured 8x333 = 2.66 ghz instead of the 8x266= that gives me the 2.13 ghz

Sorry...don't have the board myself, so not familiar with the BIOS settings. You're right, that's a pretty mild overclock, and is totally doable.

It looks like a lot of folks use the "Easytune" application to get their clocks (or maybe just to find the sweet spots). You can try using that app (likely on your CD or from gigabyte website) to get your overclock for now until someone posts BIOS settings to do it for you.

Check out page 8-10 in this thread for some good info and screenshots

Ctrl+F1. Lets you access all the options the board has. Press it at the main BIOS screen.

Multiplier is presented in a multiplier format.
Memory voltage is relative to standard 1.8v

i bought a g33m-s2 board and a q6600 (g0 step) to my matx case three weeks ago.
P9140854_resize.jpg

max winpost
post-15-1189886819.jpg

max fsb (i think it's a memlimit)
post-10-1189837853.jpg

other results:
max biospost 4.14ghz/460mhz
max benchmarkable clock 3.82g/425mhz (with an overclocked 8800gts320 3dmar2k6 score is 12862 points)

i us at 8x400m (3.2g) with 1000mhz memclock. it needs only 1.25v. i love it :)
q6600_3200.jpg

ok i got my cpu running from e6400 speeds of 2.13 up to e6700 speeds of 2.66 by upping the fsb from 266 to 333 and my ram is running 4-4-4-12 with a 833 effective ram clock speed

ha yeah dont know anything about overclocking, was scared to do it to anything i owned lol my roommate wanted me to do it to his pc so thanks guys for helping out here

After building several AMD based PCs I decided to try an Intel build for my new machine.
But the system will not start and I don't have a spare CPU or M/Board to debug the situation.

My question for the forum is whats the minimal procedure for testing a new motherboard? I want to make the cpu or the system fan spin to prove that this board is alive.

I'm trying the following:

1) Place the GA-G33M-DS2R on an insulated form surface to avoid any risk of a short circuit.
2) Install the CPU (E6750) and attach the heatsink and fan.
3) Connect the cpu fan to the motherboard
4) Connect the power switch from the mini tower case to the motherboard F_Panel
5) Connect the 24 pin and the 4 pin power connectors from the psu (thrust pw-5150 370w) to the motherboard.
6) Install the memory (Crucial ddr2 800 MHz) to DDR2 slot 1.
7) Apply power to the PSU and switch it on
8) Press the switch on the mini tower case.

Usually the fan spins on the cpu but not this time. The PSU fan spins but not on the cpu. The cpu fan will turn briefly when I switch off the psu unit.

I've swapped the PSUs and the memory with my last AMD build. So it looks like the CPU or the M/Board.

Any suggestions please?

N.b. Please see my update (problems sorted now) - Tuggers (7th October 2007)

The CPU fan doesn't spin up at the start anyways. If it beeps at you, and the code doesn't say anything about your CPU or RAM, then I suppose its fine.

If it doesn't beep, then its quite obvious that your motherboard died. But arguably, your PSU wouldn't start if your motherboard died.

Hence change step 4 to: Connect speaker and power switch from the mini tower case to the motherboard F_Panel

Plus step 6a Connect VGA monitor.

Are you saying that the fans only start when the cpu starts to get hot? Unlike any of my AMD systems where the cpu fan starts immediately.

Actually, I found that my friend's CNPS7000 didn't start up until after a bit. (on a DFI NF4 Ultra D)

All sorted now. New GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard and E6750 cpu working together.

My problems were caused by the PSU unit found in a 6 month old ASUS mini ATX case.
Its an Enhance 300 watt 2030F unit with 20 pin and 4 pin power connectors.
I replaced it with a thrust pw-5150 370w PSU and found signs of life in the GA-G33M-DS2R M/Board.

The Enhance unit would power my 3 month old AMD 5200 Gigabyte build but not this Intel M/Board / CPU combination

My new troubleshooting procedure for this board is:

1) Place the GA-G33M-DS2R on an insulated foam surface to avoid any risk of a short circuit.
2) Install the CPU (E6750) and attach the heatsink and fan.
3) Connect the cpu fan to the motherboard
4) Connect the power switch, system fan and the power LED from the mini tower case to the motherboard F_Panel
5) Connect the 24 pin and the 4 pin power connectors from the psu (thrust pw-5150 370w) to the motherboard.
6) Apply power to the PSU and switch it on
7) Press the switch on the mini tower case.

Using the thrust pw-5150 370w PSU unit the PSU fan, the system fan and the power LED would spin / light up. The cpu fan would not spin immediately and neither would the power LED if I connected this the wrong way around (duh!). Holding down the switch on the mini tower case would turn off the M/Board.

Using the Enhance PSU the CPU fan would turn about 90 degrees but nothing else would spin / light up. This indicates to me that this build is dead.

N.b. Installing the memory onto the M/Board is required to view output onto a VGA monitor. I think the on-board graphics card uses the M/Boards memory rather than its own high speed memory. Then after a short while the CPU fan started spinning to cool the CPU.

just thought id pop back in, im sick of waiting for a fix for this bored. i have the g33m-s2 with a e2140 and elixir ddr2 800 i cant get my cpu past 2.2ghz with the ram running @915mhz. its definatly the rm just sad it has to be an issue atall.
im selling the bored and either getting a full atx or shelling out for the asus offering. i do hate asus aswell.

Today i bought GA-G33M-DS2R , E2160 , A-data 2x1Go 667 Mhz.

I want just to know how can i overclock the cpu to get 3 Ghz? In this frequecy is it true that i need just the standard intel box cooler?

just thought id pop back in, im sick of waiting for a fix for this bored. i have the g33m-s2 with a e2140 and elixir ddr2 800 i cant get my cpu past 2.2ghz with the ram running @915mhz. its definatly the rm just sad it has to be an issue atall.
im selling the bored and either getting a full atx or shelling out for the asus offering. i do hate asus aswell.

There are only three Intel chipset mATX mobos that can overclock worth a hoot. The P5K-VM, DS2R, and the F-I90HD. The rest are just good for stock (non-overclock) settings mainly. The F-I90HD has a high death rate though so basically that leaves the DS2R and the P5K-VM. For now.

Today i bought GA-G33M-DS2R , E2160 , A-data 2x1Go 667 Mhz.

I want just to know how can i overclock the cpu to get 3 Ghz? In this frequecy is it true that i need just the standard intel box cooler?

I do not reccomend you using the stock retail heatsink cooler. Especially if you want to go for 3GHz. Can you do it? Yeah. Is it wise? I dont think so. Get a good aftermarket hsf for it so you can run it OCed 24/7.

Thanks alot Gigabyte.

They keep saying its a hardware limitation... meaning they royally fooked up their board tracings. If that's true, there's no hope in hell for us. But we shall not give up hope!
We shall stand strong!

FOR SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh shi-

For Overclocking which one is better, this Gigabyte DS2R or the ASUS P5K-VM, the problem with the asus mobo is the lack of not having RAID SATA :confused:, i don´t understand why they didn´t include this...

And by the way, will a X-FI card fit with a double slot graphic card? i think it will, won´t it?

And the mem dividir, doesn´t have 1:1 on gigabyte G33?

the asus board is a little better!
Using the vdroop mod on both: higher vcore on load with asus (1.60v)
ratio 1:1 for all cpu with asus, that's not the case with giga (no ratio1:1 for c2d fsb800 except c2d fsb1333, & concerning c2d fsb1066 only bios f4a allows ratio1:1 )

Thank you :), the problem with the asus mobo is the raid thing, doesn´t have it, no? :(

By the way, is a new G35 or G38 mobo microATX expected?

For Overclocking which one is better, this Gigabyte DS2R or the ASUS P5K-VM, the problem with the asus mobo is the lack of not having RAID SATA :confused:, i don´t understand why they didn´t include this...

And by the way, will a X-FI card fit with a double slot graphic card? i think it will, won´t it?

Yes, it fits. :)

Thank you :), the problem with the asus mobo is the raid thing, doesn´t have it, no? :(

You do realize that motherboard RAID controllers on all consumer-class motherboards are little more than glorified software RAID that you can boot from? It's not like it will do any checksum offloading or anything else that enterprise-class hardware RAID does. If you're serious about RAID, spend $300 on a decent PCI-Express true hardware RAID card, and if you're really serious about performance, get a SAS controller and some 15k RPM drives. Consumer-class motherboard RAID doesn't come close, and in my opinion isn't worth it (and in my experience can cause way more problems than it's ever worth).

keep with F4a. My best oc is with the 1:1 divider

So wait a second... There's a F4a version BIOS that has 1:1? Thats the only version out there? Maybe I should downgrade? Is there anything I'd lose from F5 to F4a? If I can get a 1:1, that's the version for me I think.

wandering from the bios discussion (i have f4a, not going to change it unless gigabyte adds a new section named "For Badass Overclocking"), but just got my geminII on the g33m. :D it's huge! i thought my nh-u9 was big, and this sucker dwarfs that. it's running pretty cool right now. overclock temps 43C-44C since this cpu doesn't scale at all with more voltage, i didnt up it. it won't really budge after stock volts. 2.97GHz is stable anything beyond that errors in orthos.
geminIIbox.JPG

geminIIoutsidebox.JPG

almostmirror.JPG

bigwires.JPG

noctuacomp.JPG

geminstocktemp.jpg

i'm wondering how it'll do in my future sg03. :D
enzotech ultra-x - 148x148x93mm (about 93mm w/o fan?)
thermalright si-128 - W145 x L125 x H91.5 mm
silverstone nt06 - 148.0mm x 125.4 x 78.0
geminII - 175x124.6x81.5mm

i've seen with a little bending the enzo and the si-128 in a sg01. i wonder if it'd be possible to fit this thing inside the sg03 since it doesn't have the drive cages like the sg01. :D

aieee!! quadcore! what are you using for cooling? that's super low temps for a quad. well it is idle right? lol... then again just goes to prove how far off temp monitors are right now for this board. doh!

Sorry if this is talked about earlier in the thread, but I only read the most recent 10 pages or so. Is there any issue with running this board with 4x1GB? I'm thinking about using it with a E6750 and 4 sticks of 800 Ballistix in a SG01 with an NT06 Lite and a ST50EF-SC. Any idea what kind of ballpark FSB I should be able to hit? Will using 4x1GB vs. 2x2GB hold me back with this board? Thank you.

Back