GA-G33M-DS2R

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but I was looking to put this board in my P-180 which I hear the Scythe Ninja fits perfectly in, but will it fit?

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but I was looking to put this board in my P-180 which I hear the Scythe Ninja fits perfectly in, but will it fit?

Umm...why not just get a P35 board if the case is a P180?

I wanted to have the option of using it in my Antec Fusion HTPC when I upgrade it in the future.

I wanted to have the option of using it in my Antec Fusion HTPC when I upgrade it in the future.

I did the same thing. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a mATX board while I was waiting for X38 to come out and see what it does (turns out I would have been fine just grabbing a P35 board out of the box, but I didn't know that two months ago ;) ).

Hey, I've got a Lanbox Lite and plan on purchasing a GA-G33M-DS2R with a Q6600, what heatsink would you all recommend that will fit given the above parameters?

Thanks!

Overclocked - Try the XP120. Air flow doesn't work in favour of downward facing fans.
Stock - Stock.
Better than stock + light overclock - Blue Orb II, CNPS8700.

Nothing else comes to mind.

Overclocked - Try the XP120. Air flow doesn't work in favour of downward facing fans.

I'm pretty happy with the Thermalright MST-9775 LE in my Lanbox Lite with a Q6600 (G0 stepping) running at 3.0Ghz. Of course, I left none of the case fans stock, but CPU temps haven't gone much north of 60C during heavy testing.

I like my XP120. Sure, it needs a rentention module. Sure, its kind of old. But at 370g (with max official spec of 450g) and awesome performance (if it could cool a single core K8, it can cool a dual core C2D), its quite nice if you can find it.

I just wish Tt used two 80s in the front instead of 1 92.

Hey, I've got a Lanbox Lite and plan on purchasing a GA-G33M-DS2R with a Q6600, what heatsink would you all recommend that will fit given the above parameters?

Thanks!

Im running an XP-90 in a lanbox lite now with a 25mm Panflow sucking into a Silverstone ST50EF-SC. Theres maybe a 4-6mm gap between the top of the fan and the 120mm psu intake.

I used to have the XP-90 coupled with a 90x15mm fan blowing downwards and the PSU intake inverted (Lanbox / Lite design) as to not interfere with the HSF, but with the HSF sucking into the PSU intake, temps are much better on not only the CPU but case temperatures went down 1/3, if not more. Seems the 2 stock 60mm + the extra I added isnt enough to cool (NB temps were 43-45), but when the PSU is allowed to vent the case it drastically reduces temps not to mention gets rid of the CPU / Case heat (NB 40max).

So the XP90 does fit.

Anyways, I need an idea to cool off my northbridge. With an upwards 120, airflow around that heatsink won't be particularly strong. Maybe an 80 on the right window, and a 40/60 strapped on (how?) will do it.

(That would be a total of 9 fans.)

I just bought one of these and have a question. Similar issues were touched on in this thread but never definitivly answered.

Gigabyte G33 (says F4 bios at post, havent flashed anything yet)
e6400 (l630F)
OCZ DDR2 1066 SLI Edition
Janton 8800GTS 640MB
Corsair 520w
Scythe Mini Ninja
Nocture NB Cooler

The problems I am experiencing are very similar to the 965 DS3 I had. It will over clock great with a FSB up to 399 but begins rolling reboots at 400 or above. If I try to enter 400, hit save and exit, it will reboot twice (no post) before it finaly boots and everything will reset to default values. This happens 9 out of 10 times. I can boot higher then 400 it just takes numerous attempts before it will finally post with overclocked settings. I have made it into windows with [email protected] and I ran orthos for hours so I dont think my cpu is an issue, board is just being picky about something. Its a real pain in the ass spending 15+ minutes to get your pc to boot with settings that you know work fine once in windows!

I have tried raising all of the other voltages .01-.03, ram @x2.5, vcore up to 1.5v, and ram voltage @.04v making it 2.2v. Any other suggestions on what I should try? Is my memory one of the types of OCZ that arent fully compatable with this board?

Im familiar with the FSB holes. Ive tried 400-450, 450+(450x2.5=1125) will have my ram starting to cause issues as I cant imagine it going much further @ only 2.2v, the boards max.

Its behavior is just strange. I change to 400, 410, 420, 430,ect., exit and save, and it will go to post as it should. It beeps, fans spins up, then all the fans(inlcuding psu) spin down. It repeats that cycle one more time and then finaly posts on the third attempt with stock settings. Every once in awhile that cycle does not start and Im able to use my overclock settings in windows. It works very well until I reboot or shut down.

Is the encluded overclocking software any good? Ive never been a big fan of overclocking within the OS but its alot better then reseting my overclock settings 20+ times whenever I boot.

Hi guys ,I don't know if anyone posted it, but maybe I found a solution to the FSB ratio problem.
I found a guide in polish that state how to modify the natuve fsb of cpu intel having a low fsb.
Say for example you have a cpu pentium e2160 running at 1800mhz (200x9), with this mod you can modify the native fsb,in this way the cpu will be recognize as 266x9=2400mhz or 333x9=3000mhz depending on the mod you will apply.
Here you can find the guide:
http://forum.purepc.pl/index.php?showtopic=236090#
Did anyone tried this mod to the cpu?If yes the motherboard did recognize the mod?With which bios?

Okay, I just picked up this board with a Q6600 G0 stepping and 4gb RAM (2x2gb) - Gskill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (2GB x 2) which is rated at 5-5-5-15 at 1.8/1.9 v I've updated the Bios to F5, which gives me a 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0 divider, but I don't even SEE a lot of the options (like for ram timings and such) that I expected to (I didn't seem them on stock F4 either). What do I need to look at?

I want to OC to about 3.0-3.6, depending on what my cooling (Silverstone Nitrogen NT06) will handle. How should I go about doing that the most efficient way to gain the most performance?

Also What the hell is "Robust Graphics Booster" in the BIOS? Or Option 1, Option 2 under High Speed DRAM DLL Settings? Performance Enhance? All these sound like some sort of auto-OCing gear?

Should I lock my PCI Express Frequency at something?

Thanks!

The new bios doesnt have the 1:1 divider. The Gigabyte BIOS hides some of the settings I think. Not sure what it is you do to show them. Its been mentioned before but I forget.

Best way to cool with the NT06 is turn the psu in such a way that one of its fans is over the NT06 or to secure a small fan underneath the NT06 and blow air up. The PCI is manually locked and you shouldnt have to change it. This is often done in the SG03 SFF case. Not sure which case you are using.

I've updated the Bios to F5, which gives me a 2.5, 3.0, or 4.0 divider, but I don't even SEE a lot of the options (like for ram timings and such) that I expected to (I didn't seem them on stock F4 either). What do I need to look at?

On all Gigabyte motherboards you need to press Control-F1 at the main BIOS screen to reveal a new BIOS menu entry and also expand the options available in other entries. Don't ask me why, it's always been that way.

I found a guide in polish that state how to modify the natuve fsb of cpu intel having a low fsb.
BSEL mods don't work. Covered in the early part of the thread.

Also What the hell is "Robust Graphics Booster" in the BIOS? Or Option 1, Option 2 under High Speed DRAM DLL Settings? Performance Enhance? All these sound like some sort of auto-OCing gear?

Should I lock my PCI Express Frequency at something?
I believe it is locked by default at 100MHz. If not, just set it to 100MHz.
Not sure what the RGB does. Might be a clock booster for the onboard graphics. I wouldn't bother with it.

Does anyone know if the Zalman CNPS 7700 will fit in a Lanox lite with the DSR2 MB?

I imagine the 7700 might hit the northbridge heatsink.

Thanks. Now I have the extra options. However, it doesn't really seem to be helping me...

If I put it at 333x9 to get to 3.0ghz, and the 2.5 divider making it 833, I get a "boot failed" message after the initial post! I did NOT buy cpu thinking i would be under 3.0ghz as G0s I've seen go 3.6. I was hoping 3.2 at least based on cooling. My ram is a 5-5-5-15... so what's the issue here? This DDR800 just can't run at 833? *sighs* All voltages are on auto.

Thanks. Now I have the extra options. However, it doesn't really seem to be helping me...

If I put it at 333x9 to get to 3.0ghz, and the 2.5 divider making it 833, I get a "boot failed" message after the initial post! I did NOT buy cpu thinking i would be under 3.0ghz as G0s I've seen go 3.6. I was hoping 3.2 at least based on cooling. My ram is a 5-5-5-15... so what's the issue here? This DDR800 just can't run at 833? *sighs* All voltages are on auto.

I think you need to up your voltages, especially your Vdimm...

Depending on your RAM. Some RAM can do DDR2-900 @ 1.8v. Some of the better common RAM. ProMOS I think.

In either case, manually set vDIMM and vCore voltages (1.8v and 1.325v respectively).

Hi :)

I m from PVHK post on Hardware.fr.

I'm proud to announce you my first MOD a VDroop mod for the GA-G33M-DS2R

here is the chip to mod :
img0165ck7.jpg

pencilg33mmy3.jpg
:D

I've reducted the resistance from 2.6k to 1.7k but you can reduct it more for less VDroop (300 ohm at least)

After the VDroop mod (not perfect for instance, needs to reduct a little bit more the ressitance):

2007072502h31vcorewg1.png

Anyone try this? Does it work? I've seen fishton say it works, and I've seen another guy at madshrimps and XS say it doesn't. Anyone here try it?

I can't even see what my vDIMM is! The only options I have are like +0.1 - +0.4, without referencing what the vDIMM would be. The lack of data this board gives is getting frustrating. Oh, and trying to run the ram at 1000 just as a test, with the CPU at stock basically killed it, so now I have to reset the CMOS, which is of course in the middle of the fscking board:mad:

I can't even see what my vDIMM is! The only options I have are like +0.1 - +0.4, without referencing what the vDIMM would be. The lack of data this board gives is getting frustrating. Oh, and trying to run the ram at 1000 just as a test, with the CPU at stock basically killed it, so now I have to reset the CMOS, which is of course in the middle of the fscking board:mad:

Default is 1.8V for all DDR2...

I can't even see what my vDIMM is! The only options I have are like +0.1 - +0.4, without referencing what the vDIMM would be. The lack of data this board gives is getting frustrating. Oh, and trying to run the ram at 1000 just as a test, with the CPU at stock basically killed it, so now I have to reset the CMOS, which is of course in the middle of the fscking board

Vdimm is 1.8v as default so +0.4 will make it 2.2v. I thought this board had an easy cmos jumper to deal with, its out of the way and just touch it with a screwdriver for a second. I was happy the first time I had to clear this board, last half a dozen or so required removal of the graphic card.

Vdimm is 1.8v as default so +0.4 will make it 2.2v. I thought this board had an easy cmos jumper to deal with, its out of the way and just touch it with a screwdriver for a second. I was happy the first time I had to clear this board, last half a dozen or so required removal of the graphic card.

Maybe its the combination of my case (fan bracket removal to get out the expansion cards) and my gfx card (7900gtx) taking up tons of room. Ah well. I'll get to it and reset the damn thing. Just adds to my frustration.

Think volting it up to 2.0 will be safe? This memory is rated at 1.8-1.9, but it doesn't seem like that's going to do it. Its almost like it will NOT run faster than 800, even by a tiny amount. Anything else I should test, or change. If this continues I'm going to need a new motherboard, or new ram...

You could probably put 1.9v or 2v through it safely.

What chips are those?

Should be able to push 2.0v but it doesnt mean it will help. I bought some Wintec Amp X that was reportedly D9 capable of 1000mhz+ and the crap wont go past 700 in anyboard, its rated at 675. Its luck of the draw with ram.

Another idea might be to check some ram subtimings, maybe the SPD isnt be detected or set correctly. Ive seen other boards do this.

I have the Same Memory installed with an e6750, but I haven't tried O/Cing this setup yet...
Maybe I'll give it a spin later this evening and let you know how mine works.

Thanks, let me know how it goes. I managed to get the proc up to 2.7ghz without problem, keeping the ram actually under 800, but this is a long way from where I want to be.

This is the ram I have : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Any idea what sub-timing I should look into? Or any further data on it? I posted my CPU-Z in the OCing forum thread, of what everything looks like stock.

Huh, you're trying to overclock 2GB sticks? After my initial experiences just trying to find 2GB sticks *compatible* with the motherboards I was using, and seeing how almost everyone who overclocks memory only seems to try doing it with 1GB sticks, I instead got myself motherboards than have 1:1 dividers and then got myself CPUs with 800 or 1066 FSB so that I can keep my 2GB sticks at their stock speeds. I think you're going to find that you're almost on your own when it comes to overclocking 2GB sticks of RAM (of course in the not-too-distant future this will all change, just as there was a time not too long ago when people only overclocked 512MB sticks of RAM...)

Huh, you're trying to overclock 2GB sticks? After my initial experiences just trying to find 2GB sticks *compatible* with the motherboards I was using, and seeing how almost everyone who overclocks memory only seems to try doing it with 1GB sticks, I instead got myself motherboards than have 1:1 dividers and then got myself CPUs with 800 or 1066 FSB so that I can keep my 2GB sticks at their stock speeds. I think you're going to find that you're almost on your own when it comes to overclocking 2GB sticks of RAM (of course in the not-too-distant future this will all change, just as there was a time not too long ago when people only overclocked 512MB sticks of RAM...)

Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on the upgrade, ne? I really don't care too much about the RAM speed as long as its close to stock. Stock by itself would be fine, if I could get my proc up to 3.0 or 3.2+. So I guess, at this point in time, a new or custom BIOS enabling 1:1 or better is the best to hope for? Or is there something I can do with this mobo and that RAM?

If you have a FSB1333 processor, its not much of a problem. DDR2-800 = FSB 400... so E6750 would mean 3.2GHz.

FSB1066 CPU: DDR2-800 (4:5) = 320MHz FSB.

Methinks its a voltage problem.

*Also, requesting picture by picture instructions of how to do that damned volt mod. Its gotta be more than just touching it with a pencil, and stressing it. Is there any place to measure voltage on the board? Is it worth it if OCCT says my voltage drop is only 0.03v?*

I'm still wondering if anyone has tried the Vdroop mod. I don't think .03V is too much under load. The bigger problem is with the quad cores. I get a full .1V. I don't really want to rip my whole computer apart if the Vdroop mod doesn't work. I can't get a clear answer on that. I hear conflicting reports.

Back