FX is Back!

This is a bad thing?

Pretty cool temps if that's the case though.

Another image:

Erqeq.jpg

I'm glad that AMD is finally allowing a multiplier lower than 4x. The core independent power management is pretty good too.

The 1.4 VCore makes me think that it could be running on an AM3 board, since AOD only shows VID and not the VCore offset. On my system, AOD shows a VID of 1.27V with a VCore of 1.36V (VCore offset of 85mV or 0.085V)

Zarathustra[H];1037353745 said:
Wow..

What do you serve at home that needs that much power?

I currently use a 1.5Ghz Athlon X2 for my closet server for mostly NAS duty and a few other server functions, and it has been overkill.

I'm considering swapping it out for an AMD E350 system in order to reduce power usage, and get some better expansion out of it, but I can't even picture needing a 2P Opteron at home! :eek:

what do you need that for lol, my client backup PC that runs backup data into my Hard Drive Rack as well as the file server that holds my anti-virus, windows imagaes for when a disk is damaged or lost, as well as preforming router duty is a Pentium4 lol.

what do you need that for lol, my client backup PC that runs backup data into my Hard Drive Rack as well as the file server that holds my anti-virus, windows imagaes for when a disk is damaged or lost, as well as preforming router duty is a Pentium4 lol.

I don't need as much power as a E-350 for my server duties, but when it comes down to it, its one of the cheapest systems you can build today. The low TDP, compact size and near silence is an added bonus. if I had an old functional rig kicking around I might use that instead, but I don't, and even so, for something that is going to be on 24/7, I'd rather have something really low power like the E-350.

I'm currently happy with my compact low power 1.5Ghz Athlon X2 in all respects except one. its in a proprietary small form factor system without much in the way of expansion, and the built in eSATA chips of the AMD chipset cant handle port multiplier properly, so my external storage array doesn't work over eSATA. Currently I am running it over USB2, which limits array speeds to about 26MB/s :(

The plan is that a micro-ATX E-350 system will either have working PMP on its integrated eSATA port, or if necessary, one of the four expansion slots (1 x16, 1 x1, 2x legacy PCI) can be used for a eSATA controller that works properly :p

I purchased the FX-53 so i can overclocked it to run like a 57; and I paid dearly. $750 !!! No - I will not spend that kinda cash anymore for a processor.

No - I will not spend that kinda cash anymore for a processor.

Huh? For AMD to charge prices like that again, Bulldozer will really have to be just that.

BTW, since it appears that AMD is showcasing Bulldozer at E3, where are the articles in regards to that? Some press embargo until authorized?

BTW, since it appears that AMD is showcasing Bulldozer at E3, where are the articles in regards to that? Some press embargo until authorized?

Where did you hear they are showcasing Bulldozer. All they did was give us the letters F and X. :p No word on bulldozer yet, and if the rumor mill is true, there won't be one until next month some time.

Zarathustra[H];1037355422 said:
Where did you hear they are showcasing Bulldozer. All they did was give us the letters F and X. :p No word on bulldozer yet, and if the rumor mill is true, there won't be one until next month some time.

The link I provided earlier was supposedly from E3.

Funnily enough, the slide says this information is "Under embargo." Guess that answers that question.

Today I'm building a 2P socket G34 system for my new home server. In 2 or 3 years I plan to drop in cheap Bulldozer processors for a sweet upgrade. With some luck this new machine will serve the shit out of my home until ~2020. My current server (2P opteron 250 w/ 8 GB) is still doing great, but I wanted something that can run VMs. There's no way I'll keep this new machine busy, but the power draw won't be much different from my existing server, and the hardware was cheap. It's pretty awesome what kind of server you can build for ~$2K right now, and it's a bonus to easily & cheaply upgrade to Bulldozer later on. Xen should be nice to have running at home.

my recent newegg order

I see the current gen desktop cpus have plummeted but the opterons seem to have held value.

I'm jonesing to go the socket c32 route with a pair of opterons (4184) in the near term then Bulldoze myself.

The cost is still up there for the Lisbons.....

I see the current gen desktop cpus have plummeted but the opterons seem to have held value.

I'm jonesing to go the socket c32 route with a pair of opterons (4184) in the near term then Bulldoze myself.

The cost is still up there for the Lisbons.....

I like the idea of building an Opteron rig, but the problem I see with it is that the Opterons are all clocked so damned low.

So what if a 2P system can give me 24 cores with Magny-Cours chips. If they are all running at 2Ghz or so the performance still isn't going to be there for applications that have not been optimized for multi-threaded execution (read: most applications)

unless a motherboard manufacture decides to release a C32 or G34 board that supports overclocking, opteron's no longer have a purpose on the consumer side like they once did in the 939 days when you could put an opteron on a consumer 939 board and overclock it. odd's of this happening are slim to none though.

Bring back FX series seem to be a good indication that BD is competitive to Intel's latest offering.

Zarathustra[H];1037356238 said:
I like the idea of building an Opteron rig, but the problem I see with it is that the Opterons are all clocked so damned low.

So what if a 2P system can give me 24 cores with Magny-Cours chips. If they are all running at 2Ghz or so the performance still isn't going to be there for applications that have not been optimized for multi-threaded execution (read: most applications)

Bulldozer will change that. There will be an IPC improvement and a clock improvement. However I would expect these to demand a much higher price since it will not take 2 chips to equal the competitors single chip performance.

Bulldozer will change that. There will be an IPC improvement and a clock improvement. However I would expect these to demand a much higher price since it will not take 2 chips to equal the competitors single chip performance.

As was linked a few posts above, the flagship 8130p processor will only be $320.

I owned a FX-60 back in the day, I paid $1,031 for that processor, all because I demanded that I be able to play and run Oblivion at the best settings possible at the time :p

that was a glorious day, now Oblivion can be run with ease with a computer that you can put together for the cost of that processor today!

Amazing how far technology has come since then.

The FX brand has been a really good one for AMD, they should have never walked away from it.

I feel bad for all those SB 4 core owners now. Oh well they did it to themselves.

8 Core BD $300~ with ASUS Sabertooth SLI/CFX for $200~. This 500.00 system will be the hardcore desktop standard to build around for 2011-2012 in the least IMHO. Also with how AMD rolls, you never know maybe a 10 or 12 Core is in after the die shrink from 32nm->22nm pipeline for 2012. Sometime in 2013 the 16nm should be ready so why not a 16 Core AMD BD by then or 2014.

It's definitely time to start rocking an AMD system again people! :p

Just release that hardware soon AMD! :D

I feel bad for all those SB 4 core owners now. Oh well they did it to themselves.

8 Core BD $300~ with ASUS Sabertooth SLI/CFX for $200~. This 500.00 system will be the hardcore desktop standard to build around for 2011-2012 in the least IMHO. Also with how AMD rolls, you never know maybe a 10 or 12 Core is in after the die shrink from 32nm->22nm pipeline for 2012. Sometime in 2013 the 16nm should be ready so why not a 16 Core AMD BD by then or 2014.

It's definitely time to start rocking an AMD system again people! :p

Just release that hardware soon AMD! :D

oh no. you must be too young to know your ignorance.

oh no. you must be too young to know your ignorance.

No, he's just a hardcore fanboy/softcore troll.

The IPC is still going to be higher on Sandy Bridge, so unless you're doing something that will utilize more than 4 cores (which isn't gaming except for a couple of titles) Bulldozer won't even matter for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for AMD (my last build, a Phenom II X3 BE, is still being used), but I'm also all for going all-out (hence the i7 2600K I have now). For Sandy Bridge owners, Bulldozer will likely be a sidegrade at best.

yay... happy times.. i might go back to AMD with my next build..You have until Ivy Bridge to win me over AMD. DO IT!!!!!

That's looks like a standard PII x6 heatsink unless I am missing something...

that was a glorious day, now Oblivion can be run with ease with a computer that you can put together for the cost of that processor today!
it.

Or about $400 lol

Last edited:
They have used that design for black editions for a while, dont know if the non black editions have them or not.

I am hoping epicly. If this truely is a server geared product, then it should fold like a beast!

may not have the IPC of SB, but if they are priced right, they OC well, and they can compete with SB they can steal the thunder from the i3 and i5's that dont allow overclocking with ease :D

I knew when intel locked the bclk that they shot themselves in the foot, remember how popular it was when they locked the multiplier on early Pentium II and we didn't have the 440BX yet? No one was happy though 440BX changed that because you could now OC to 75 or 83mhz and your system likly wouldnt crash lol.

may not have the IPC of SB, but if they are priced right, they OC well, and they can compete with SB they can steal the thunder from the i3 and i5's that dont allow overclocking with ease :D

I knew when intel locked the bclk that they shot themselves in the foot, remember how popular it was when they locked the multiplier on early Pentium II and we didn't have the 440BX yet? No one was happy though 440BX changed that because you could now OC to 75 or 83mhz and your system likly wouldnt crash lol.

Yeah, but you forget that 0.00001% of chips they sell will ever be sold to anyone who is even remotely interested in overclocking :p

Zarathustra[H];1037358992 said:
Yeah, but you forget that 0.00001% of chips they sell will ever be sold to anyone who is even remotely interested in overclocking :p

And why would we care about that 99,99999% that doesn't read [H] ? :D

For Sandy Bridge owners, Bulldozer will likely be a sidegrade at best.

I plan on getting a bulldozer when they come out.

I'm not expecting it to be any more than a sidegrade from my stock clocked Core i7-920. That way, any improvement will be a positive surprise :D

Managing expectations FTW! :D

Back