FX is Back!

Zarathustra[H];1037359397 said:
I'm still cautiously optimistic.

AMD must be confident about something, since they admitted that they'll be charging $320 for the FX-8130P.

Are you sure, its looks identical to the heatsink on my 1090T

Isnt the 1090T a black edition? I definitely know they have used it for a while because my Phenom 1 9600 black edition has it and I bought that over 2 years ago. Just recently cleaned out the heatsink, and had to pop that stupid little fan off so thats one reason why I noticed it immediately.

my Phenom 9650 Came with that HSF and it wasnt a BE. Alot of the highend AMD chips from the Phenom line onwards have that, all the 110W plus chips do in my experince.

my Phenom 9650 Came with that HSF and it wasnt a BE. Alot of the highend AMD chips from the Phenom line onwards have that, all the 110W plus chips do in my experince.

Well there is confirmation that not just black editions get them.

Zarathustra[H];1037356238 said:
I like the idea of building an Opteron rig, but the problem I see with it is that the Opterons are all clocked so damned low.

So what if a 2P system can give me 24 cores with Magny-Cours chips. If they are all running at 2Ghz or so the performance still isn't going to be there for applications that have not been optimized for multi-threaded execution (read: most applications)

The 4184 opterons are currently six core not magny's eight core BUT run at 2.8ghz at a more affordable cost.

One result I can find http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4766705&postcount=341 with a pair running the cinebench.

Granted they aren't reaching 4.0ghz but it's respectable for a pair of 95w cpus.

I'm just hoping the 'dozer works well enough to make me pull the trigger on a pair of opteron 42** series at a reasonable for servers expenditure.

what they are demoing is it bulldozer with build in 6000 gpu so an apu?

or is it just a processor pared with a 6000 series card?

what they are demoing is it bulldozer with build in 6000 gpu so an apu?

or is it just a processor pared with a 6000 series card?
The "Scorpius" platform is an AMD FX processor, running on a 9-Series chipset motherboard with a discrete HD6000 (6850+) series card.

I'm interested as long as they don't repeat the mistake of the Phenom II X6. To this date, I never quite understood the benefits of six cores if they are frequently outpaced by quad cores from Intel.

I'm interested as long as they don't repeat the mistake of the Phenom II X6. To this date, I never quite understood the benefits of six cores if they are frequently outpaced by quad cores from Intel.

the simple fact that the two extra cores helps in applications mate .... just because you dont see a use for more than 4 cores, doesnt mean upgrading from a dual to a hex in others case was a huge benefit....they are outpaced because not much uses those extra 2 cores, and it is widely accepted/proven than Intel has a huge advantage on a core v. core basis.

Isnt the 1090T a black edition? I definitely know they have used it for a while because my Phenom 1 9600 black edition has it and I bought that over 2 years ago. Just recently cleaned out the heatsink, and had to pop that stupid little fan off so thats one reason why I noticed it immediately.

Yeah, and it looks nearly identical to the cooler on my old FX-62

the simple fact that the two extra cores helps in applications mate .... just because you dont see a use for more than 4 cores, doesnt mean upgrading from a dual to a hex in others case was a huge benefit....they are outpaced because not much uses those extra 2 cores, and it is widely accepted/proven than Intel has a huge advantage on a core v. core basis.

There was a point in time where I did not see a need for more than one core... It was not that long ago... Oh, how wrong I was. Software will eventually catch up.

Well damn, they have been using this for a while.

AMD must be confident about something, since they admitted that they'll be charging $320 for the FX-8130P.
Has everyone forgotten the Athlon X2 launch? Prices for the lowest end part were > $500 and they still sold out everywhere.

To me it's worrying that AMD's flagship 8-core CPU is in the same price range as Intel's quad cores. Why else isn't it higher up the lineup, threatening Intel's 6-core CPUs?

I want this to be good, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

And my 4400+

Has everyone forgotten the Athlon X2 launch? Prices for the lowest end part were > $500 and they still sold out everywhere.

To me it's worrying that AMD's flagship 8-core CPU is in the same price range as Intel's quad cores. Why else isn't it higher up the lineup, threatening Intel's 6-core CPUs?

And my 4400+

maybe there pulling a stunt again?

Remember the Pentium 4 2.0 for 850 bucks and the AXP 1900 for 500bucks? Which did you buy lol. Or the Athlon 64 4000 for 350 vs the Intel 3.8 Presshot at 700 lol

maybe there pulling a stunt again?

Remember the Pentium 4 2.0 for 850 bucks and the AXP 1900 for 500bucks? Which did you buy lol. Or the Athlon 64 4000 for 350 vs the Intel 3.8 Presshot at 700 lol

Don't try and use your brain, just buy Intel cuz, if it costs more, it's soooo obviously better. ;) wait....? what did I..... just do? :D

Don't try and use your brain, just buy Intel cuz, if it costs more, it's soooo obviously better. ;) wait....? what did I..... just do? :D

lol, yea thats why I sell Athlon II systems in my shop :p

As i once heard it said 90% of the preformance for 60% of the price lol

lol, yea thats why I sell Athlon II systems in my shop :p

As i once heard it said 90% of the preformance for 60% of the price lol

So then they will need to sell thier top of the line FX chips for uhm 200$ according to your logic?

It will be more like 90% of the performance for 100% of the price if you put it againts a 2600k.

Anyway I do like AMD and I do hope bulldozer will come along and take Intel's lunch money. I doubt it's going to happen unless their chip can reach 4.6~ on air and be on par with the IPC (which is not going to happen).

Lets face it, I almost regret myself to have gone 2600k over 2500k because the ONLY time I see utilisation on more than 4 cores is when I encode/decode. Games never take advantage of more than 4 cores.

I think Intel is doing great with Sandy addressing the affordable performance segment. 2011 will have those rediculous priced Extreme edition 1k chips which have ZERO practical purpose beside bragging rights.

Well that's because it was coming off the successful Athlon 64/FX line; products that actually competed/surpassed Intel's offerings. Furthermore, Athlon X2 ( I assume you aren't referencing to Athlon 64 XP, because that was a success) was mostly a rehashed 64 X2 with a smaller die size. They were then followed by the disastrous Phenom launch.

BD, on other hand is completely new architecture. Furthermore, I doubt AMD believes they can dupe enthusiasts into buying their product. They obviously realize this has succeed. By pricing the top piece $320, they must believe they have a competitive product.

Well, those processors have six cores and 12 threads (not to mention larger L3 cache ), but AMD is, supposedly, introducing some new processors (after they release the first batch) later on this year.

http://wccftech.com/2011/06/08/amd-reveals-q4-201/

And my 4400+

I bought a 4400+ Right when they came out for $525. As the lowest speed 1mb CPU. The 4200+ and 4000+ and 3800+ all were cheaper. Pretty sure people could get the 3800+ for just over $300.

But part of it was also the fact that the Athlon64 was already the fastest CPU and adding 2 of them, they basically just doubled the price and the up to $500 and then priced the higher faster ones on their own scale up towards the EE pricing. But they were already an established highend performance platform at that point.

unnecessary edit: Well never mind. I thought the 4000+ and the 3800+ came out at the same time but it was a bit later. The unit cost on the 4200+ was around $525 so it might have been under $500 shortly after launch but only just barely. But again it was two of what was already one of the top CPU's at the time.

Back