FX is Back!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Here is the full PR.

AMD Reintroduces FX Brand for High-End Processors and Platforms at E3

— AMD Continues to Power the Ultimate PC Gaming and Hi-Def Experience with FX Brand and New “Gaming Evolved” Collaborations —

LOS ANGELES, June 7, 2011 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today reintroduced the FX brand for PC processors and platforms at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). FX-branded products will be geared toward enthusiast PCs and HD entertainment aficionados. AMD also announced new members for its “Gaming Evolved” program, driving the PC gaming experience forward with native HD3D support in Eidos Montreal’s “Deus Ex: Human Revolution,” and new collaborations with Bioware, Creative Assembly and Codemasters.

FX Brand Enables Top-Flight Experience for Gamers and HD Media Enthusiasts
The FX brand is associated AMD’s fastest processors and most powerful platforms - those designed for unrestrained PC performance for the ultimate gaming and HD entertainment experiences. In addition, these processors and platforms drive rich visuals for graphics intensive applications and high-resolution AMD Eyefinity multi-monitor configurations. The first platform to earn the FX title, the “Scorpius” platform will feature the now-available AMD 9-series chipset motherboards and AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series graphics cards, plus the upcoming “Zambezi” unlocked, native eight-core processor.1
“AMD’s FX brand will enable an over-the-top experience for PC enthusiasts,” said Leslie Sobon, vice president of worldwide product marketing, AMD. “By combining an unlocked, native eight-core processor, the latest in chipset technology, and AMD’s latest graphics cards, FX customers will enjoy an unrivalled feature set and amazing control over their PC’s performance.”

AMD Adds New Members, Titles to Gaming Evolved
Furthering its commitment to PC gaming innovation and promoting an open and advanced experience for gamers, AMD continues to add members and grow relationships in the second year of the Gaming Evolved program. True to its previously announced commitment to PC gamers, AMD remains focused on working with the best software developers to maximize the user experience. Gaming Evolved combines AMD's expanded support for Microsoft DirectX® 11 games (which use the latest graphics technology from Microsoft), along with AMD Eyefinity multiple-monitor configurations, AMD Dual Graphics (which enables multiple graphics processors in one computer), and native AMD HD3D support to enable standards-based stereo 3D display capabilities for a truly immersive 3D visual experience. 2
“Since the launch of AMD’s open stereo 3D initiative last year, developers have been embracing native 3D support that will work with a range of 3D glasses and monitors from different vendors,” said Neal Robison, director of ISV relations, AMD. “This excitement by developers is starting to pay off with the announcement by Eidos-Montreal that ‘Deus Ex: Human Revolution,’ will enable native stereo 3D support.”
With AMD HD3D, gamers can experience amazing stereoscopic 3D gaming image quality for a more realistic experience. AMD HD3D technology supports more than 400 titles through AMD's technology partners, and AMD's open 3D ecosystem approach encourages the broadest selection of 3D solutions, available at the most affordable cost.
“We are thrilled to be working with AMD, an innovative leader in PC hardware and software, incorporating their technology into Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PC,” said Stephane D’Astous, general manager of Eidos-Montreal, a Square Enix studio. “It’s also exciting that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the first video game title optimized to natively utilize AMD HD3D capable hardware. Coupled with AMD Eyefinity functionality, PC gamers will be even more immersed in the action-rich gameplay and compelling storyline.”
In addition to Eidos, AMD’s new partners include major developers of critically acclaimed titles, including Bioware’s “Dragon Age II”, Creative Assembly’s “SHOGUN 2: Total War“ and Codemasters’ “DiRT 3,” which will include native support for DirectX 11, AMD Eyefinity and AMD Dual Graphics technologies.

AMD at E3 2011
E3 attendees can experience these stunning technologies with their own eyes at the AMD booth (#823 South Hall), which will feature demos AMD technologies and upcoming game titles including “Orcs Must Die!” from Robot Entertainment and DirectX 11-enabled “Blacklight: Retribution” from Perfect World.

Supporting Resources
• Read AMD posts from E3 on the Game Blog.
• Learn more about AMD Gaming Evolved here.
• Get additional information on AMD HD3D technology here.
• Follow news from the AMD team on Twitter at @AMD_Unprocessed.
• Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook.

About AMD
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD’s server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD’s superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

Hmm... I wonder how FX Bulldozer Edition will compete.

Here I was, getting all excited. I thought they were going to announce a preview of Bulldozer. I guess they'll be showing off a 900 chipset with a Phenom II processor and 6000 card.

its all about the MMX yo!!!! lol i remember when it was a huge deal to have a pentium II 300mhz with MMX technology..

Pentium 1 (not 2) brought us MMX. I <3 my P200 MMX.

By MX, I was referring to nVidia's GF4 MX line, which was far inferior to the GF4 Ti line.

I see 3.2 ghz in that screen shot :p

one of the few legit leaks.
My guess
Zambezi will have better IPC than thuban, almost matching/matching lga1156 I7 but will have more cores so prolly match a SB performance wise, as long as it can reach 3.8 ghz with LGA1156 speeds in first stepping we're allright. I guess.
Amd will never have better IPC than intel unless intel goes for netburst again :D

wait isnt the 7th the launch date for bulldozer or did i miss something

From Anandtech:

"Just above Llano we will have the long awaited Bulldozer CPU. AMD originally wanted to launch Bulldozer at Computex but performance issues with its B0 and B1 stepping chips pushed back the launch. Now we're looking at a late July launch with B2 silicon, but performance today is a big unknown. Apparently the performance of B1 stepping silicon doesn't look too good."

Well at least we have something from AMD as far as an announcement. Now we just need Kyle to get one in his grubby little paws.

Well at least we have something from AMD as far as an announcement. Now we just need Kyle to get one in his grubby little paws.

all i know they rock in servers, but magny cours kind of does too, so hehe, we're waiting blindly!
serious few leaks, just spend 50 000 on a new car so I guess I wont be getting my planned upgrade anytime soon so I might aswell wait.

from heflys20 link...

011.jpg

unless amd's overdrive software isn't properly supporting BD, some of the specs in this pic seem a bit odd.
1.4v seems a bit high for 32nm process (note top row of cores display 'VID' while the bottom row display 'Voltage') also the temps look off, 19C across all cores?

from heflys20 link...

011.jpg

unless amd's overdrive software isn't properly supporting BD, some of the specs in this pic seem a bit odd.
1.4v seems a bit high for 32nm process (note top row of cores display 'VID' while the bottom row display 'Voltage') also the temps look off, 19C across all cores?

I bet its because they are overclocking it. There has been countless rumors stating they hadn't hit their frequency targets yet and thats why its delayed. They probably set it to 1.4v and cranked the multiplier. Hell, the 3.2ghz shown might even be the full speed its running at.

007.jpg

Did they seriously put it in a collector's tin?:confused:

from heflys20 link...

[IMGhttp://www.4gamer.net/games/100/G010000/20110607029/SS/011.jpg[/IMG]

If its anything like the current amd overdrive the voltage always says 1.4v on mine even when its at 1.3v (I set this in the bios). Could be also that they have a newer stepping that isn't full support yet and giving weird numbers.

Last edited:
BTW... Something has got to be up. Kyle rarely gets excited about AMD cpu's. He actually used an exclamation point.:confused:

Does this mean Kyle has hope for AMD cpu's or is he trollin us?:p

BTW... Something has got to be up. Kyle rarely gets excited about AMD cpu's. He actually used an exclamation point.:confused:

Or he already has bulldozer!:p

I think it's because he finally got a full nights sleep. Either that or he just got laid.

I kid, I kid.

I just wish AMD would hurry up and release Bulldozer already, really want to know is it worth it and its performance.

Today I'm building a 2P socket G34 system for my new home server. In 2 or 3 years I plan to drop in cheap Bulldozer processors for a sweet upgrade. With some luck this new machine will serve the shit out of my home until ~2020. My current server (2P opteron 250 w/ 8 GB) is still doing great, but I wanted something that can run VMs. There's no way I'll keep this new machine busy, but the power draw won't be much different from my existing server, and the hardware was cheap. It's pretty awesome what kind of server you can build for ~$2K right now, and it's a bonus to easily & cheaply upgrade to Bulldozer later on. Xen should be nice to have running at home.

my recent newegg order

Maybe its just that hes making a point (an exclamation) that the FX name is back. Don't twist it into something it isn't.

Maybe its just that hes making a point (an exclamation) that the FX name is back. Don't twist it into something it isn't.

My point is if Kyle wasn't excited, he would have just made the title read "FX is back" without an exclamation and simply posted the press release.

This is what I believe as well, and why I have been staying out of the AMD cpu subforum lately with all of this wild speculation and wild theories that are being thrown around about BD. If you look at the specific evidence, we are again reading what we want to read as the exclamation point proves nothing about BD.

I am hoping for the best, but i'm mostly curious how well the 8 core Zambezi's will do in folding and gaming.

Today I'm building a 2P socket G34 system for my new home server. In 2 or 3 years I plan to drop in cheap Bulldozer processors for a sweet upgrade. With some luck this new machine will serve the shit out of my home until ~2020. My current server (2P opteron 250 w/ 8 GB) is still doing great, but I wanted something that can run VMs. There's no way I'll keep this new machine busy, but the power draw won't be much different from my existing server, and the hardware was cheap. It's pretty awesome what kind of server you can build for ~$2K right now, and it's a bonus to easily & cheaply upgrade to Bulldozer later on. Xen should be nice to have running at home.

my recent newegg order

Sweet setup! I'm jealous. My server right now is a AMD x6 with 8gb of ram

Nice. For a little more spice, maybe FX IQ for ice qube. Consumers might imagine Image Quality, Incredibly Qool, whatever! :D

I bet its because they are overclocking it. There has been countless rumors stating they hadn't hit their frequency targets yet and thats why its delayed. They probably set it to 1.4v and cranked the multiplier. Hell, the 3.2ghz shown might even be the full speed its running at.

Agreed, if this is a real leak, and the rumors are correct that the early steppings were preventing a scale up of clock speed, it could be that in order to get what eventually will be stock clocks, they had to overclock the living daylights out of it.

my recent newegg order

Wow..

What do you serve at home that needs that much power?

I currently use a 1.5Ghz Athlon X2 for my closet server for mostly NAS duty and a few other server functions, and it has been overkill.

I'm considering swapping it out for an AMD E350 system in order to reduce power usage, and get some better expansion out of it, but I can't even picture needing a 2P Opteron at home! :eek:

So we're expecting in july?

Who knows. There is still no official word other than "summer".

I'm starting to think that we'll see a paper launch in July, with very limited - if any - initial availability, and volume availability in early September.

This is just a guess I have from doing a lot of rumor reading though.

my recent newegg order

You gotta love how the LSI SAS adapter is the most expensive single component in your list. I also see that you went for the 6128s. I just looked on NewEgg, and the price increases on the Opteron 6k line are insane: Opteron 6174, 4 more cores, 200MHz faster, $1000 more expensive! I still would love to build a machine with two 6174s :D

Does anyone know if the boxes will be similar in size to the current AMD PIBs (smaller boxes) or the older PIBs (larger boxes)? I kinda like the small box that my 555 came in.

Did they seriously put it in a collector's tin?

This is a bad thing?

Zarathustra[H];1037353710 said:
Agreed, if this is a real leak, and the rumors are correct that the early steppings were preventing a scale up of clock speed, it could be that in order to get what eventually will be stock clocks, they had to overclock the living daylights out of it.

Pretty cool temps if that's the case though.

Another image:

Erqeq.jpg

Cores arent loaded bro, and a sandy will do low ass temps like that too with speedstep for sure, esp not oc'ed.

This is a bad thing?

Pretty cool temps if that's the case though.

Another image:

Erqeq.jpg

unless something changed I beleive AOD reads socket temp, not core temp, granted even at a socket temp the temps are great (i havent used AOD in a long itme so they may have core temps in it now and I wouldnt know)

AOD reads core temp, not socket temp.

I have to admit this has me excited again. I was all pissed off with all the delays and silent treatment but this paper launch or whatever it is kinda fires me back up a little.

Cores arent loaded bro, and a sandy will do low ass temps like that too with speedstep for sure, esp not oc'ed.

I thought core temperatures were only marginally higher than the socket temp (5-10 C)? If AMD has over-clocked these CPU' substantially (particularly if they can't go higher than 2.5ghz not o'clocked), I would've expected a higher socket temp.

AOD reads core temp, not socket temp.

I thought so (AOD won't load on my computer now). So, obviously the crap about low clocks is BS, or AMD rushed out an early stepped unit. :p

Last edited:
Back