• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Futuremark teases new space sim!!

mother-of-god-super-troopers_large.jpg


Please be good, please be good, please be good!

Hell, even if it isn't good I'll probably buy it just to support the genre.
 
I love how they have a logo that says "Futuremark Games Studio" but they don't really make actual games (don't flame me I know they make "games" but they aren't really games)...one benchmark every few years doesn't equal a "Gaming Studio".
 
I love how they have a logo that says "Futuremark Games Studio" but they don't really make actual games (don't flame me I know they make "games" but they aren't really games)...one benchmark every few years doesn't equal a "Gaming Studio".

they made Shattered Horizon which is a fps.
 
I love how they have a logo that says "Futuremark Games Studio" but they don't really make actual games (don't flame me I know they make "games" but they aren't really games)...one benchmark every few years doesn't equal a "Gaming Studio".

We can still flame you for not knowing what you are talking about can't we? :p

As already pointed out by Wildace, "Futuremark Games Studio" is in fact Futuremark's internal game development studio.
 
Doesn't matter who makes it. It's a space sim... new space sim. I hope it's just beginning of revival of that genre.
 
Shoot. Just make a reskinned Freespace 2 or X wing vs tie fighter game and my pants will explode.
 
Eyefinity/Surround this time please Futuremark.

Also HOTAS and TrackIR support would be great :)
 
This is definitely good.
Very good.

It's been since... X3 and Privateer we've had a good PC space sim?
This may cause me to dust off the old joystick... and for once that's not a double entendre.
 
Needs newtonian physics too. Any space sim without it just feels weird, like you're controlling some sort of toy. One of the reasons I couldn't enjoy Freelancer.
 
I hope it's actaully good. Shattered Horizon was fun for a couple of hours, that was it.
 
I agree with the repaint Freespace 2 comment, but I'd almost rather they do a repaint of I-War 2 if only for the newtonian physics. I'm hooked on Evochron Mercenary atm, it has a steep learning curve compared to the more arcadish space sims, but is a riot once you get the hang of it...but with it's uber small (for 2011) footprint of a couple hundred MB install, it's graphics aren't the best. But it's physics are 2nd to none for a space sim so I hope Futuremark takes note and adds that to what looks like a promising visually appealing space shooter.
 
The bad thing is that probably like Shattered Horizons, it will be a smaller multiplayer deathmatch game most likely. Futuremark isn't known for making epic story driven space sims like we are used to from the past glory age of space sim (Wing Commander, Freespace, Tie Fighter, etc.).

The fact that it's an XBL arcade game proves this.
 
After getting Shattered Horizons as a prize while at Quakecon, I curse the company that gave it to me and for even redeeming it. It felt like I got a Cleveland Steamer after playing it.
 
Yeah this is a must. Any space sim without solid joystick support is not a serious effort.

And clearly they already have the tech in place to make it look awesome on the PC:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmarkvantage/

Well, Futuremark can definitely make PRETTY looking things, that's pretty well established. Performance is usually awful, though - generally, intentionally so.

As to gameplay...well, they *are* just starting out. Epic didn't release 'Unreal' as their first game, nor was 'Quake' id's first title. Given this isn't a case of a game studio formed from the break-up of another one, but something that appears to have been grown whole cloth out of their benchmarking development...

...I dunno, I'm looking forward to it.

As others have said - high degree of purchase probability, to support the genre if nothing else.
 
I havent seen so many sensible posts in a thread for a long while.

Joining the choir of drained impatient space sim aficionados. PLEASE be good!

I hope there is joystick support. ...PROPER joystick support

Agreed, a must !

Needs newtonian physics too. Any space sim without it just feels weird, like you're controlling some sort of toy. One of the reasons I couldn't enjoy Freelancer.

Same here, it´s a must.

Hmm notice the piloting when he flies through a structure? Certainly does not look Newtonian.

Looks arcadey to me, like Battlestar Galatica

Those were my thought as well.

I agree with the repaint Freespace 2 comment, but I'd almost rather they do a repaint of I-War 2 if only for the newtonian physics. I'm hooked on Evochron Mercenary atm, it has a steep learning curve compared to the more arcadish space sims, but is a riot once you get the hang of it...but with it's uber small (for 2011) footprint of a couple hundred MB install, it's graphics aren't the best. But it's physics are 2nd to none for a space sim so I hope Futuremark takes note and adds that to what looks like a promising visually appealing space shooter.

I-War 2 indeed. Thanks for pointing me towards Evochron Mercenary, sounds interesting.
 
Hmm notice the piloting when he flies through a structure? Certainly does not look Newtonian.
It does look non-Newtonian. That serves me just fine, but it'd be nice if there was an option to turn on Newtonian physics for you guys as well.
 
It does look non-Newtonian. That serves me just fine, but it'd be nice if there was an option to turn on Newtonian physics for you guys as well.

It´s a shame, but I am so starved for a joystick controlled space sim that I will take anything these days ;)
 
I would love a decent space shooter with either, realistic ships in space physics, or rather common I'm an airplane physics. Something in line with WC series style story and missions. I don't particularly care for too much RPG in my space shooter, but will take it if that is all there is.
 
I'm REALLY REALLY hoping if they make a space game, that it's not like every other space game.

I mean there's a reason that the genre has died off, it go super repetitive. Every other space game was the smae generic "start with a ship, travel around kiling people, trading goods, etc etc and building up to new more poweroful ships.

I Wish they'd make a space sim that actually let you enter planets atmosphere and take off from them, like this tech demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4

Then I wish that you were actually a PERSON in a ship, not that the ship itself is your avatar, but that you can actually go into a space ship, sit in the pilot seat, and view flying around from this as well as your more usual third perosn style. However I'd also like to be able to exit the ship (in a space suit) and be able to do things.

Imagine for example, havingi an rpg like skill tree where you can advance in ways where you can buy small ships with cloaking devices and jammars that allow you to cloak up next to a bigger ship, then latch onto it. Then you exist your ship and carefully make your way inside the bigger ship into an fps style game and take over that ship from within.

THe space sim genre needs something new, unless it wants to meet the same fate it has int he past.
 
In Evochron Mercenary you can enter planets and dock at cities, mine the surface, air, water, etc in real time. Though your ship is your avatar. I still dig EM though, for an indie title it's got a lot to do and see and the MP is where it's at imho. But you might check it out Stiler, some of the stuff you seek EM has and executes very well...most people complain of the graphics, which aren't it's strongpoint, but with good shading and lighting, it still looks pretty good overall and has a tiny footprint of a couple hundred megabytes.

You get like 60 or 80 minutes of demo time to give it a go and see if you like it or not...might give it a shot to see if it'll hold you over until one is made exactly how you want.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/downloads.htm

This futuremark title doesn't appear to have the phsyics I want to see, but if it's action oriented enough to be fun to play it won't matter...we're past due for a modern, great graphics Freespace 2. Though it'll have huge shoes to fill to even compete with FSOpen...which I doubt it can touch. Something new and fresh that isn't a horrible game would be nice to see as well...some recent titles in the last few years were no good at all.
 
It doesn't look like a space "sim" to me...more like a space action game. Seems like the controls are probably pretty basic and the maps I'm guessing are limited like Shattered Horizon.

Still should be fun, but I'm waiting for the new X game for an actual "sim".
 
Back
Top