Full limb damage and effects possible with current-gen?

There is no third game. ;)

SOF 2 is long overdue for a real, true bad ass sequel.

SOF3 was so bad.

I miss the first two. The MP was a blast and of course that was the time of skins and map packs.

The one thing I always liked about SOF 1 and 2 were the MP maps. They weren't a giant circle like COD maps are.

As much as I love gore/limb dismemberment, i doubt it would be implemented on a larger scale.

Parents' seem to love to buy their kids games they shouldn't. I remember when Battlefield 3 first came out, there was a topic in the Battlelog forum where someone was ranting about the amount of blood in BF3 and how they cannot play with their children now because it made Battlefield 3 "too violent." Anyone who has ever played BF3 would know that there is barely any blood showed in the game and you have to really pay close attention to notice any.

I honestly think the press would have a field day if the new Call of Duty, Battlefield or any other highly anticipated fps would have some sort of limb dismemberment implemented into it.

Parents' seem to love to buy their kids games they shouldn't. I remember when Battlefield 3 first came out, there was a topic in the Battlelog forum where someone was ranting about the amount of blood in BF3 and how they cannot play with their children now because it made Battlefield 3 "too violent."

I loved hearing people bitch about swearing in BC2 and BF3.

I find it hard to believe that people were honestly getting offended over someone swearing in text while their character is literally screaming about how he's GETTING FUCKED UP THE ASS OVER HERE at the top of his lungs.

Comically stupid.

Possible yes, fun no.

Alot of the appeal of limb damage etc is realism for people who just want things to be as real as they can get. But the reality is when you take a hit that drops you in any FPS now days or disables you might as well be dead because it will be very rare that you are not immediately finished off.

Anyhow lots of games have kicked this idea around. And I think they rarely go very far because its just not fun or sensible. I mean you can take limb damage so its really reaslistic, but then suddenly its going to regen or something?

couldn't agree more... there's definitely still an audience for it. The old players are hungering for a new one and feeling nostalgic about the pureness of Soldier of Fortune II. If a new game with the same movement, similar bullet damage yet slightly improved hitboxes (5-6 ak to the body for a kill, no 1-shot hs unless it's with a sniper, and no AWP) then they would have a HUGE dedicated following that branches out exponentially through word of mouth, old players would buy not only because they want to play again and bring back old memories but for their children's birthday/christmas, who would then get their friends from school and others games into it... It could be the perfect retro $35 game that everyone would enjoy so much more than spending $60 on a new CoD that's just more of the same stuff people don't truly want and will stop playing after a few months... I whole-heartedly believe this series could reach the popularity of legendary franchises like Counterstrike, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Quake, Half-Life, because it would draw from all of these audiences who all are itching for a new game they could start fresh in and play for prizes someday, instead of being behind the curve and trying the almost impossible task of to catching up

Last edited:
Holy thread necro Batman!

Well... I still stand by my above comments that were quoted and even more so now with all the new game engines and tech.

I think a lot of things said in this old thread still stand now and even more so.

2017 and Soldier of Fortune is a dead series. Too bad.

Would be awesome if they implemented this in Sniper Ghost 3.. With the bullet cam and all.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

I never played it but I am pretty sure there is a 3rd game. It was made as a crappy budget title from the start.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I never played it but I am pretty sure there is a 3rd game. It was made as a crappy budget title from the start.

You're right of course.

Back when I wrote that it was aspost where I assumed people could read my mind with the ;) there.

My opinion of that third game was and is very low and that's why I stated there wasn't a third game as far as I'm concerned. Not a real one.

I guess there never will be.

SoF2 is one of my favorite games of all-time...would love if they would make a real sequel.

Sure it's possible - just a simple DB call to check which limbs are damaged and play the animations accordingly. If you really want a game that does this, just go make one.

That said, I'm guessing the reason we haven't seen this is because it's been tried and no one liked playing this way. I've played a few games that had "bleeding" effects, and viewed that "feature" mostly as a huge nuisance. Though I do agree that some permanent scarring would be cool for character development, and minor lingering disability might sound cool, if it really detracted from my ability to play the game, it would get really annoying really fast. Most people want to be super-human when they're gaming. I don't want to get shot in a game and take hours to bleed to death, or take months to heal from my wounds. I want to stomp a med-kit or chug a potion and be good to go right then and there! Putting actual realistic damage, damage-effects, and even a fraction of realistic healing process in a game would be a huge turn-off to most people, and I think a game with those features would probably be relegated to a novelty title that no one actually plays.

Edit - oops, I just noticed this is a really old necro'd thread. Pretty much the same reasons this still isn't done much in 2017.

MGS3's locational damage system is probably still my favorite of any game I've played. The attention to detail in that game was incredible during its time.

Back