Full limb damage and effects possible with current-gen?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it possible with current technology to have multiplayer games that would have full limb damage and corresponding effects? Or are there games that already implement this?

Such as If I put a bullet through your character's hand, it renders that hand unusable or impaired or would the CPU requirement required to calculate all the possibilities be far too much for our current hardware?

The reason I ask is imagine a game like DayZ or the upcoming War Z MMO where you shoot someone in the leg and leave them to die....oh the possibilities are endless...The story about the man whose best gun was a .22LR Pistol comes to mind.....:D:p

Is it possible with current technology to have multiplayer games that would have full limb damage and corresponding effects? Or are there games that already implement this?

Such as If I put a bullet through your character's hand, it renders that hand unusable or impaired or would the CPU requirement required to calculate all the possibilities be far too much for our current hardware?

The reason I ask is imagine a game like DayZ or the upcoming War Z MMO where you shoot someone in the leg and leave them to die....oh the possibilities are endless...The story about the man whose best gun was a .22LR Pistol comes to mind.....:D:p

It'd be entirely possible, I mean granted Fallout 3 wasn't online, but it did have limb-damage technology. There's plenty of computing cycles left to handle something like that, it's not as intricate as you think. As far as why it isn't out there? Who knows. Too tiresome/tedious to put in I suppose.

Dead Island has something of limb damage. It's definitely possible and should be used more often IMO.

It'd be entirely possible, I mean granted Fallout 3 wasn't online, but it did have limb-damage technology. There's plenty of computing cycles left to handle something like that, it's not as intricate as you think. As far as why it isn't out there? Who knows. Too tiresome/tedious to put in I suppose.

FO3 isn't multi-player though which I I think is a big part of why we haven't see it yet maybe...

I'm just wondering what kind of server load would happen in an MMO like WarZ where you have 250 people per server to calculate every hit, then send the commands to the players. Interesting programming thing for sure (from a developer stand-point)

didn't the original operation flashpoint ~2001 have damagable limbs... i know having grenades go off very close your legs would be gone or if you got hit in the arms/hands your aim was very off due to the injury.

Wasn't that the calling card of soldier of fortune way back in 2000??

Lol yep. I remember getting this and playing it. Holy shit did headshots look amazing, and you could entirely sever someone's limbs from their body with a well-placed round.

Every once in awhile i'll sit down for a match of Children's Online Daycare with my roommate, but usually quit after getting killed by being shot in the foot. It's way beyond time for devs to start incorporating better AI, localized damage, etc... the tech has been there, they're just lazy.

Skyim also suffered from the lack of AI and localized damage.

It's entirely possible and has been done in games over 10+ years ago.

Games like Die by the sword had full limb dismemberment dependent on where you hit someone (melee combat) as did Rune, Severance (aka blade of darkness).

Then you had fps games with it like the very first operatoin flashpoint (from the people who make Arma, which the Day Z mod uses) that featured specific body part wounding, IE get shot in the leg, you go down and can't use it, get shot in the hand, your aim is bad, etc. Soldier of Fortune was notorious for it's location based damage back in the day.

Even mods can do it, such as the original Red Orchestra mod where you took limb damage and they could even shoot your own gun out of your hands.

So yes, it's possible , it's just a matter of the developers deeming it something worthy of putting in and taking the time to do it.

didn't the original operation flashpoint ~2001 have damagable limbs... i know having grenades go off very close your legs would be gone or if you got hit in the arms/hands your aim was very off due to the injury.

Yeah, basically the same system as ArmA 2, which the DayZ mod is based on.

The reason why is because it wouldn't work well for the Call of Derpy crowd.

A shame that series never got the real sequel it still deserves.
Isn't it though.. so many great times were had shooting people in their family jewels and having them react. I need to find my copy. :p

yes it does, as does ARMA 1/2

yea, you never lost use of arms, you just couldn't aim for shit.

Legs on the other hand, you couldn't stand or walk, you just had crawl around.

A shame that series never got the real sequel it still deserves.

Isn't it though.. so many great times were had shooting people in their family jewels and having them react. I need to find my copy. :p

Soldier of Fortune 2 was great.....I think you are talking about the third (which wasn't developed by Raven) that was a shitty cheap game that was no where near as good or like the first two.

problem is most developers see it as a waste of time. they know most of the cod junkies dont want realism and stratagy, they want run and gun with big explosions and quick kills. They want to be able to shoot you in the toe and kill you, then laugh and proclaim they are the greatest and everyone else suxxorz.

problem is most developers see it as a waste of time. they know most of the cod junkies dont want realism and stratagy, they want run and gun with big explosions and quick kills. They want to be able to shoot you in the toe and kill you, then laugh and proclaim they are the greatest and everyone else suxxorz.

Get out of my head!

i_have_sof2.jpg

I remember Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) and possibly its predecessor Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (1998) allowed you to hack off limbs and heads with your lightsaber with a console cheat command.

You might be thinking of Red Orchestra (UE 2.5). It was multiplayer and legs/arms could get blown off. If someone was hit on the spot by an artillery shell or tank shell they would get vaporized in a red/pink mist. Sometimes an arm would fly out of it. Likewise, a grenade, even if it didn't blow off a limb (that rarely happened) would send shrapnel tearing many bloody holes into bodies. Getting shot in the hand would cause you to drop your weapon, though there was no visual damage to them. That is as far as the "corresponding affects" go. If you loose a limb, you're dead. I believe this is more of a gameplay issue. Who wants to play as someone missing an arm, or a leg?

Though this was limited to left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, shrapnel holes, or red mist. I am sure, if there was a desire, a more detailed damage model where severing of individual fingers/hands/toes could be done.

Shot00019.jpg

Shot00064.jpg

Last edited:
Rune had dismemberment. It was from 2000. A full on decap of the head would instant kill of course. Hacking off arms wouldn't instant kill. Depending on if it was your sword arm or shield arm, you just might not be able to fight back. :p

Last edited:
Hybrid Heaven back in the N64 days, but more fighting rpg than anything. It was progressive too, as you favored an attack (left kicks for example), it would continue to get stronger.

I'd like to see another fighting RPG like that. FPS you might as well get the headshots and kill them quicker.

werd I was just gonna say. Area effect body damage has been around since the late 90's. Console and PC. It's just laziness that it isn't in all games.

The reason I ask is imagine a game like DayZ or the upcoming War Z MMO where you shoot someone in the leg and leave them to die...

...of boredom. Which is a violation of rule #1 in game design: don't bore the player.

When I was playing Day Z this weekend, a zombie broke my leg. I managed to kill it and stay clear of other zombies by crawling around, but once your leg is broken, your only mode of movement is crawling very slowly. The small town I was in had zero chance of spawning morphine, which is the only thing that would cure a broken leg. The nearest location where I could realistically hope to get morphine would take many uneventful real life hours to crawl to. The only solution was to give up and start a new character, which was acceptable because I only had an average amount of time invested in that character - about half an hour.

...of boredom. Which is a violation of rule #1 in game design: don't bore the player.

When I was playing Day Z this weekend, a zombie broke my leg. I managed to kill it and stay clear of other zombies by crawling around, but once your leg is broken, your only mode of movement is crawling very slowly. The small town I was in had zero chance of spawning morphine, which is the only thing that would cure a broken leg. The nearest location where I could realistically hope to get morphine would take many uneventful real life hours to crawl to. The only solution was to give up and start a new character, which was acceptable because I only had an average amount of time invested in that character - about half an hour.

Well I had a more interesting idea of shooting you in the leg and then luring zombies to you......:p;)

Red Orchestra 2 has also tons of violence as well, blood pools gibs you name it.

Its locational damage system and hit detection are VERY accurate, a bullet in the legs, you slow down for 3-4 secs, a bullet in the stomach you slowly die etc, you even get a notification if you kill someone by shooting him at his crotch :D

Sin had this, I went back and played Sin single player recently, it was the first game I knew of to have locational damage, you had separate armour values for head chest and legs, you could head shot people for more damage and even shoot them in the hands or gun to make them drop their weapons.

Soldier of fortune had limb dismemberment, that was an epic FPS game back in the day.

Funny how basically games these days have gone backwards since then in almost every aspect except graphics.

Rune had dismemberment. It was from 2000. A full on decap of the head would instant kill of course. Hacking off arms wouldn't instant kill. Depending on if it was your sword arm or shield arm, you just might not be able to fight back. :p

THat game was awesome.
I was fully immersed then I got stuck somewhere with no earlier save and couldn't go on , didn't felt like restarting I was many, many hours in.

ah well :(

Certainly doable. You could, in theory, use the Bullet engine to handle real time physics of bullets [including simulating the flight dynamics of various caliber rounds], determine how much damage [if any] is done to a specific point [body armor, etc], and disable functionallity if damage reaches a specific threashold.

Problem is, everyone on multiplayer would whine that half the time they'd be crawling because their legs got shot out from under them. And no major developer has the vision to implement something like this.

THat game was awesome.
I was fully immersed then I got stuck somewhere with no earlier save and couldn't go on , didn't felt like restarting I was many, many hours in.

ah well :(

I believe they're remaking Rune or a sequel, I read about it somewhere recently.

Soldier of Fortune 2 was great.....I think you are talking about the third (which wasn't developed by Raven) that was a shitty cheap game that was no where near as good or like the first two.

There is no third game. ;)

SOF 2 is long overdue for a real, true bad ass sequel.

I think they're either making or have made it so that if you have a broken limb you can choose to respawn now rather than crawl around endlessly.

I think they're either making or have made it so that if you have a broken limb you can choose to respawn now rather than crawl around endlessly.

Suicide should be an option... but even better would be able to create a split out of materials you can find anywhere, wood/sticks + cloth/something to tie with is all you should need.

These mechanics are great, but you're right---it's lame being stuck.. so give the player options.

The easiest solution for them would be to have morphine spawn there.

The reason why is because it wouldn't work well for the Call of Derpy crowd.

I think this is the biggest reason why. Innovation is not as wide spread these days in the FPS scene.Why innovate and sell 2 million copies when you can copy Modern Warfare and sell 4 million copies.

this thread seems to be talking about two different things
1) Model damage that allows dismemberment/detailed damage/etc
2) HitBoxes that coorelate to different functions in the game (get shot in the legs and you can't walk anymore, etc)

both have been done in various games, but i dont really care for 1) that much.
I remember experiencing 2) in deus ex 1, that was fun. Too bad they didn't bring that back in the other deus ex's.

Back