FS: 1gb laptop memory sticks by samsung. 30 dollars each shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I goofed, looks like my C640 will only do 1GB max...hopefully the Acer will accept 2GB (it's a more modern laptop anyways)...

Might be trading a stick(s) I already ordered for 2x512. ;)

Ordered 2 sets for both of my Inspiron 8500's if they work out this will be a sweet upgrade. I can't wait.

Got mine in today... though, my HP laptop is being ultra picky, and it doesn't work with it. I doubt the stick is bad, I'm convinced HP just sucks. :)

Oh well, hell of a deal. Thanks, stupidfool!

Aaaargh, now I can't wait to go home and try those sticks. ><

I'm hoping that Dell continues their cool streak with my C640 accepting the 2GB that it was never designed for. :)

Cr3at1ve said:
Got mine in today... though, my HP laptop is being ultra picky, and it doesn't work with it. I doubt the stick is bad, I'm convinced HP just sucks. :)

Oh well, hell of a deal. Thanks, stupidfool!

Just asking but did you make sure you have the latest bios for your Laptop?

svan71 said:
Just asking but did you make sure you have the latest bios for your Laptop?

Yea; running the ones from 12-11-2006. Powers on, beeps 4 times, then just sits there.

I heard now from more than one source these are NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. Please someone prove me wrong !

Cr3at1ve said:
Yea; running the ones from 12-11-2006. Powers on, beeps 4 times, then just sits there.

Yeah I'm pretty sure anything past 2 beeps is memory related, at least in Award BIOS chips.

You're not running a Celeron M are you?

LightningCrash said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure anything past 2 beeps is memory related, at least in Award BIOS chips.

You're not running a Celeron M are you?

Nope; AMD Turion64.

Cr3at1ve said:
Nope; AMD Turion64.

Oh, guess I'm no help then. I know that my laptop, being a Celeron M, Compaq says it will only support 1GB of RAM. The Pentium M editions support 2GB of RAM, supposedly.

Wonder if there's a similar restriction on AMD

I just received mine in the mail today.

So far in both my personal laptops, they do not work.

Dell 700m
Averatec 3200

No go on either, will check some other laptops to see if they work later.

Hmmm, crap

I ordered one today to try in my powerbook 1.33 and averatech 3700. So no one has gotten one to work yet? NOT encouraging.

R-Type said:
Hmmm, crap

I ordered one today to try in my powerbook 1.33 and averatech 3700. So no one has gotten one to work yet? NOT encouraging.

You can FORGET that powerbook. I can tell you from working on about a hundred of them that if it isn't Apple or Samsung CL 2.5 memory you will get kernel panics. Apple did something to the memory timings so that those are the only two that reliably work.

Negative on my Travelmate 4010, C640. (won't even power up LCD). (No beeps, but both lappys are blinking their keyboard LEDs several times....whining about the RAM?)

Big suprise though...my HP ze4200 is accepting a few of the sticks it seems...gonna use it to see whether its the laptops or the RAM. Will keep ya guys updated, I'm willing to jump through Samsung RMA hoops if necessary, because $30/stick is a steal. :D

EDIT: One stick is either the only "Bad" one, or the only good one, or dead. The presence of this stick causes laptops to power on and then off, no blinking LEDs. Gonna start hunting for the RMA contacts tomorrow, would appreciate some help.

movax said:
Negative on my Travelmate 4010, C640. (won't even power up LCD). (No beeps, but both lappys are blinking their keyboard LEDs several times....whining about the RAM?)

Big suprise though...my HP ze4200 is accepting a few of the sticks it seems...gonna use it to see whether its the laptops or the RAM. Will keep ya guys updated, I'm willing to jump through Samsung RMA hoops if necessary, because $30/stick is a steal. :D

EDIT: One stick is either the only "Bad" one, or the only good one, or dead. The presence of this stick causes laptops to power on and then off, no blinking LEDs. Gonna start hunting for the RMA contacts tomorrow, would appreciate some help.

How many sticks did you test? Is your ZE4200 AMD or intel?

<threadjack>
brentpresley said:
You can FORGET that powerbook. I can tell you from working on about a hundred of them that if it isn't Apple or Samsung CL 2.5 memory you will get kernel panics. Apple did something to the memory timings so that those are the only two that reliably work.
My PB G4 and iBook G3 must be rare birds, then. Neither of them have kernel panics on non-Samsung RAM. Plenty of people with PBs in the reviews of other RAM manufacturers at Newegg state that other brands work too. So please don't spread FUD about using "premium" stuff in Macs--I've been working on them since before OS X and they frankenstein up as well as x86 boxes. You just have to use the *right* RAM--which is not always easy to tell by looking at manufacturer or seller info.</threadjack>

Back ON topic:
What I want to know is if any of THESE sticks work and if not, what company manufactured the SODIMM. The part number he listed in the early posts is the part number for the RAM chips themselves (easily seen in the photo), not the SODIMM stick. I've seen at least 3 sellers with similar deals on eBay recently, and their userid's have all disappeared. Searching for that part number out of this person's eBay listing is what brought me here. He's been selling on eBay for a lot longer, but inquiring minds still want to know...

So, any further reports by people who have received their SODIMMs? The more details the better.

Thx.
=V=

Just found the Samsung product page on the RAM chips.

The part numer K4H1G0838A-TCCC is actually for the RAM chips on the SODIMM. I can't find anything on the SODIMM itself.

looks like it will do CL2.5 @ DDR333 or CL3 @ DDR400

Revision 1.0 of this RAM was released in June 2006.

Samsung says this RAM requires 2.6V to run at DDR400.

Also remember that this RAM is an 8-chip SODIMM and some boards won't take double-sided SODIMMs. YMMV.

vraptor said:
<threadjack>My PB G4 and iBook G3 must be rare birds, then. Neither of them have kernel panics on non-Samsung RAM. (BTW Apple OEM RAM is Samsung.) And plenty of ppl with Macs in the reviews of other RAM manufacturers at Newegg state that other brands work. Please don't spread FUD about using "premium" stuff in Macs--I've been working on them since before OS X and they frankenstein up as well as x86 boxes.</threadjack>

Back ON topic:
What I want to know is if any of THESE sticks work and if not what company manufactured the SODIMM. The part number he listed in the early posts is the part number for the RAM chips themselves (easily seen in the photo), not the SODIMM stick. I've seen at least 3 sellers with similar deals on eBay recently, and their userid's have all disappeared. Searching for that part number out of this person's eBay listing is what brought me here.

So, any further reports by ppl who have received their SODIMMs? The more details the better.

Thx.
=V=

No FUD. I've probably sold more SO-DIMMS and put them in PBs in the last 3 months than you have seen in your entire LIFE.

We'll see who is right.
:D ;)

brentpresley said:
No FUD. I've probably sold more SO-DIMMS and put them in PBs in the last 3 months than you have seen in your entire LIFE.

We'll see who is right.

i should have mine tomorrow so we can see if these work or not.

brentpresley said:

We'll see who is right.
I'm posting from a PB that doesn't have Samsung RAM in it. It's the *correct* RAM, but it's not Samsung OR Apple, and it runs fine. These chips are 2.6V, and that will likely be the problem, not that it's CL3 @ 400 or CL2.5 @ 333 (the latter is w/in spec for PB G4's b/w 1.25Ghz and 1.5Ghz). But if the SODIMMs he's selling are busted, what does a negative report in a PB prove? Nada, IMO.

=V=

vraptor said:
I'm posting from a PB that doesn't have Samsung RAM in it. It's the *correct* RAM, but it's not Samsung OR Apple, and it runs fine. These chips are 2.6V, and that will likely be the problem, not that it's CL3 @ 400 or CL2.5 @ 333 (the latter is w/in spec for PB G4's b/w 1.25Ghz and 1.5Ghz). But if the SODIMMs he's selling are busted, what does a negative report in a PB prove? Nada, IMO.

=V=

Typical mac supremacist BS comment. Just because it works for YOU doesn't mean it will work for EVERYONE.

I've had the following BRAND NEW PC2700 2.5CL sticks cause kernel panics in Aluminum PBs (the pickiest of ALL apples):

Micron
Elpida
Nanya
Infineon
Kingston

Those comprise a LARGE portion of the TOP TIER memory manufacturers.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/9641

caveat empor

My ze4200 is Intel.

Dell C640 - Intel P4-M 2.2 Supports max 1GB RAM, tried only one stick, but still no go (it will boot with only one stick, tried it with the original RAM).
HP ze4200 - Intel P4-M 2.0 - Got it to boot once with a 1GB stick + one stick of the original stuff.
Acer Travelmate 4010 - Intel P-M 1.8, does support upto 2GB (stated), refuses to boot with any of the sticks.

3 of the stick do a blinking HDD LED or Caps Lock LED, the 4th one when present causes imeediate power-up then off.

If these sticks aren't Samsung made, then who to RMA with...?

movax said:
My ze4200 is Intel.

Dell C640 - Intel P4-M 2.2 Supports max 1GB RAM, tried only one stick, but still no go (it will boot with only one stick, tried it with the original RAM).
HP ze4200 - Intel P4-M 2.0 - Got it to boot once with a 1GB stick + one stick of the original stuff.
Acer Travelmate 4010 - Intel P-M 1.8, does support upto 2GB (stated), refuses to boot with any of the sticks.

3 of the stick do a blinking HDD LED or Caps Lock LED, the 4th one when present causes imeediate power-up then off.

If these sticks aren't Samsung made, then who to RMA with...?[/QUOTE]

Very good question...I think our seller should answer that. I did not buy mine for the price alone I bought them because he says we can RMA them with Samsung if there is an issue.

svan71 said:
Very good question...I think our seller should answer that. I did not buy mine for the price alone I bought them because he says we can RMA them with Samsung if there is an issue.
Yep, same reason I bought mine.

Though I think we must make this clear, he did say, "As-Is". That's not the part I'm annoyed about though, just if I can't RMA them. I went into it knowing the sticks might not be compatible, and would sell/trade them if so, but if I can't RMA them so I can re-sell...grrr.

Maybe a mod could move this to the memory forum or something so we don't clutter up his thread. ("Getting the memory to work...") or something.

movax said:
Yep, same reason I bought mine.

Though I think we must make this clear, he did say, "As-Is". That's not the part I'm annoyed about though, just if I can't RMA them. I went into it knowing the sticks might not be compatible, and would sell/trade them if so, but if I can't RMA them so I can re-sell...grrr.

Maybe a mod could move this to the memory forum or something so we don't clutter up his thread. ("Getting the memory to work...") or something.

I understand your point about "as-is" but that has no more weight than "you can RMA" If I am unable to RMA " as is " = I'M SCREWED...and if that was the case I would not have ordered. So far not 1 person has been able to get these to work, this is not good.

svan71 said:
I understand your point about "as-is" but that has no more weight than "you can RMA" If I am unable to RMA " as is " = I'M SCREWED...and if that was the case I would not have ordered. So far not 1 person has been able to get these to work, this is not good.

All other products: 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864)
Mon-Sun: 9am-9pm (EST)

mods feel free to close this thread down since these do not work apparantly and i'll stop bumping this thread from now on to let this die.

i'd say wait until i get mine

by any chance can you take hi-res pics of the front and back of the modules?

if not we can just wait until i get mine and i'll take some pics, but it would be nice to have.

stupidfool said:
All other products: 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864)
Mon-Sun: 9am-9pm (EST)

mods feel free to close this thread down since these do not work apparantly and i'll stop bumping this thread from now on to let this die.

I personally would like to see if ANY of them work before this thread is closed. I also would like to find out which people are succesful RMAing there memory (if necessary) so others can learn what to do.

LightningCrash said:
i'd say wait until i get mine

by any chance can you take hi-res pics of the front and back of the modules?

if not we can just wait until i get mine and i'll take some pics, but it would be nice to have.

Whan do you expect yours?

svan71 said:
Whan do you expect yours?

mine are just coming from DFW to OKC, so they should be here tomorrow or thursday. probably 50/50 chance on delivery date on either day. if it wasn't so close to christmas i'm sure they'd come in tomorrow, though.

i'm also giving a friend at work one of my sticks, so i'll have an additional report from him on the operability of the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back