Frustrated Re: Lack of Competition

I love when people bring up the "yeah but AMD is in the new consoles bro" red herring. Means fuckall for the discrete GPU market, not to mention they're selling them at zero profit just for the marketing/propaganda value of "AMD in the new consoles". The proof is in every quarterly earnings report, especially the most recent one - there you will find no "console bump".

It has been shown and talked about multiple times that they are making profits on the consoles....

No, it much worse than you or others are perceiving. Maxwell on a 28nm process, the 3rd of this process, steps out with one blow and Knocks AMD the FUCK OUT. All you have to do is watch inventorys locally and internet wise. Every week since Maxwell's release, Microcenter Madison Heights Michigan has been selling out 40+ 970's a week. This is Brick and Mortar, locally. I have never seen B&M store go through that many cards like that. 980's are about 10-12 a week. Their inventory on all R9 products has stayed the same. (Only 4 cards sold at that location)

Used card market doesn't count. The initial sale of that card has already been paid to AMD. Know why data centers are dumping R9 290's? Power Efficiency.

AMD's only answer to for power efficiency was in the form of their only Tonga=R285. They know they are screwed. Tonga's efficiency is in R300x series. Yet its only part in the 28nm process, with 1792 cores can't match or beat Nvidia's 1664 core part. <-----That's a fact. That's why Tonga was made, to show their next gen power efficiency. Notice how there hasn't been another one released since? And that slide with the AMD 285X with 2048 cores like the 980 disappeared? Nothing on google either.

Not trolling either. I present facts. AMD isn't going out of business that not my point. The point is they are too spread out business wise CPU requires software and hardware division. Gpu the same They are too spread thin right now to compete at the high end. They will take a more middle of the road soon to make ends meet while restructuring since the high end market isn't worth the cost/overruns. Hopefully they will find Roy something to do other than posts false hopes and cherry picked benchmarks on Twitter.

LoL. Had to quote this. You are going to pretty quickly change your mind in the near future.

No, it much worse than you or others are perceiving. Maxwell on a 28nm process, the 3rd of this process, steps out with one blow and Knocks AMD the FUCK OUT. All you have to do is watch inventorys locally and internet wise. Every week since Maxwell's release, Microcenter Madison Heights Michigan has been selling out 40+ 970's a week. This is Brick and Mortar, locally. I have never seen B&M store go through that many cards like that. 980's are about 10-12 a week. Their inventory on all R9 products has stayed the same. (Only 4 cards sold at that location)

Used card market doesn't count. The initial sale of that card has already been paid to AMD. Know why data centers are dumping R9 290's? Power Efficiency.

AMD's only answer to for power efficiency was in the form of their only Tonga=R285. They know they are screwed. Tonga's efficiency is in R300x series. Yet its only part in the 28nm process, with 1792 cores can't match or beat Nvidia's 1664 core part. <-----That's a fact. That's why Tonga was made, to show their next gen power efficiency. Notice how there hasn't been another one released since? And that slide with the AMD 285X with 2048 cores like the 980 disappeared? Nothing on google either.

Not trolling either. I present facts. AMD isn't going out of business that not my point. The point is they are too spread out business wise CPU requires software and hardware division. Gpu the same They are too spread thin right now to compete at the high end. They will take a more middle of the road soon to make ends meet while restructuring since the high end market isn't worth the cost/overruns. Hopefully they will find Roy something to do other than posts false hopes and cherry picked benchmarks on Twitter.

Cool story Bro. You go around checking online inventories etc... I hope you get paid for it, because it sure doesn't sound like something that would be fun to do in your spare time.

so the latest gen is faster than the last? Isn't that how it usually works anyway? When AMD is months ahead releasing their new cards it's not the end of the world for nVidia. It's not for AMD either. If people are still spending $550 for 980's they aren't informed consumers anyway. Both the 970 ans 980 are terrible value right now. You can get 290's for a little as $230 right now and 290X for $300. SlI Vs Crossfire is an even more ridiculous purchase.

Meh. Newer console ports will become moreGPU hungry, especially with the monstrous 2015 lineup. I almost bought a gtx 980 for $450, but reviews shows it cant Even run the recent console ports comfortably at max. Buying a new gpu just to play mediocre 2014 lineup isnt very convincing either. In short, 900 series is disappointing. Wait for 2015. Better games and GPUs.

4-6 months between competing flagship products is pretty normal.

The 20nm process not being ready doesn't help either.

4-6 months between competing flagship products is pretty normal.

The 20nm process not being ready doesn't help either.

Pretty much. Hell Nvidia has taken much longer in recent years with a much larger gap in performance between current products.

Got a 290 atm, and nothing in the Nvidia lineup is really worth it for me atm (particularly with the issues around stock availibility of the 970's if I went down that route). I've been *mostly* happy with my 290 (even though it's reference) but lately it's started to play up a bit in some Paradox titles (crashing every 20-30 minutes in EU4/CK2).

Hopefully an issue that can be fixed by messing around with different drivers, otherwise I think I will jump ship once they release a 980 TI or something. I honestly think a reference 290 will struggle with the Melbourne summer...

Back