Frustrated Re: Lack of Competition

TeenK9 <-- appropriate. If you have nothing educational and mature to contribute please refrain from posting. There is a forum for people like you, it's the genmay (general mayhem) You can post whatever childish nonsense you want to there and noone would probably care if you have nothing constructive to contribute

really Final8ty? You know I don't troll you've been around long enough.

Your post comes off as if your offended by what I posted. Reading and fully comprehending your post, it shows that you don't realize that what I'm saying is actually something that would be good for AMD.

When AMD has their latest flagship cards in full gear = Nvidia slightly older tech sells well against AMD's BEST

When Both have their latest Flagship cards on the market = Nvidia Sells exceptionally well (AMD not so much)

When AMD is nowhere to be found and Nvidia has the newest fastest architecture on the market... Yeah... See what I'm getting at?

Yes I acknowledge a few posters have said this and it's 100% accurate. There is always a time when the companies keep leapfrogging eachother and its been this way forever. I'm just not sure AMD can continue to afford this.

Competition talk is what NEEDS to be our rhetoric because FanBOY talk is what actually needs to stop. You look like your speaking the latter. What will you have to say if AMD doesn't get their act together and goes out of business because it looks like that is where they are headed if something doesn't change and it's not too late. No company is safe, even with hordes of fanboys cheering them on. Hopefully they can bring back the glory days and come back with a R390X that will be the 9700 Pro Reincarnated. I dread the day we have crappy 10% performance increases each year since nobody is pushing nvidia to make better products? I feel like punching intel in the Face right now since AMD is hopelessly lost in the CPU Race. Wake up man. :rolleyes:

I am not offended in any way, I usually buy whichever brand that has the best value/$ offering. I was simply stating that 9xx series just came out, which is an updated 7xx series architecture. If say AMD were to update their's, you would have the same result as Nvidia, minus the power savings.

Nvidia sells more, as you put it, because they have way more market share, at least in the higher tier cards. That translates to higher sales figures no matter if its a gen behind or not.

If anything your post came off as whiny, want it all attitude. Just buy whichever god damn card you want. You are here crying how good Nvidias 980 offering is, and want AMD to give them a spanking. Are you already wanting price cuts on the 9xx series? Maybe that is the true underlying argument of your first post in this thread.
I am no fanboy by any means, I buy whats best at the time of purchase. If I were to update an outdated build now Id get an SLI 970 setup, pure and simple. So I am not here to entertain your circle jerk fanboy argument.

This whole thread is irrelevant because 9xx series JUST came out. Its always been that way, nvidia releases a card, AMD counters, and visa versa. So dont get your panties in a twist and wait for an AMD offering.

I am not offended in any way, I usually buy whichever brand that has the best value/$ offering. I was simply stating that 9xx series just came out, which is an updated 7xx series architecture. If say AMD were to update their's, you would have the same result as Nvidia, minus the power savings.

Nvidia sells more, as you put it, because they have way more market share, at least in the higher tier cards. That translates to higher sales figures no matter if its a gen behind or not.

If anything your post came off as whiny, want it all attitude. Just buy whichever god damn card you want. You are here crying how good Nvidias 980 offering is, and want AMD to give them a spanking. Are you already wanting price cuts on the 9xx series? Maybe that is the true underlying argument of your first post in this thread.
I am no fanboy by any means, I buy whats best at the time of purchase. If I were to update an outdated build now Id get an SLI 970 setup, pure and simple. So I am not here to entertain your circle jerk fanboy argument.

This whole thread is irrelevant because 9xx series JUST came out. Its always been that way, nvidia releases a card, AMD counters, and visa versa. So dont get your panties in a twist and wait for an AMD offering.

I don't want a better price for me, What I want is for AMD to kick nvidia in the jewels and release something exceptional so;

A. I can buy it
B. It will push nvidia to release a card that is not only 15% faster than the last gen
C. Lower prices on all GPU's for all of us.

As far as buying cards, I buy whatever the best is when I can afford it. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and my kids & responsibilities come first.

What I don't want is for Nvidia to Assume Intels Role with AMD but in the GPU side of things.

What my challenge is getting Fanboys to understand the bennefits to competition when they read a post I put out there and only extrapolate that nVidia is uber Awesome AMD Suck0rz. Or that I have some sort of Fanboy hidden agenda, or wish the impending doom on AMD.

I think many fanboys just shut their brain off when they hear something educated and with insight that makes AMD, (or whatever company they swoon over) look bad. I don't know why that is but if everone can just step out of themselves and read things for what they are we can actually have more educated conversations and less people feeling butthurt and defending points I didn't even bother to attack.

I don't want a better price for me, What I want is for AMD to kick nvidia in the jewels and release something exceptional so;

A. I can buy it
B. It will push nvidia to release a card that is not only 15% faster than the last gen
C. Lower prices on all GPU's for all of us.

As far as buying cards, I buy whatever the best is when I can afford it. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and my kids & responsibilities come first.

What I don't want is for Nvidia to Assume Intels Role with AMD but in the GPU side of things.

What my challenge is getting Fanboys to understand the bennefits to competition when they read a post I put out there and only extrapolate that nVidia is uber Awesome AMD Suck0rz. Or that I have some sort of Fanboy hidden agenda, or wish the impending doom on AMD.

I think many fanboys just shut their brain off when they hear something educated and with insight that makes AMD, (or whatever company they swoon over) look bad. I don't know why that is but if everone can just step out of themselves and read things for what they are we can actually have more educated conversations and less people feeling butthurt and defending points I didn't even bother to attack.
Youll never be able to avoid the whole fanboy argument in the tech industry, because it seems people who use tech like cell phones and computer hardware feel they have a need to defend their choice. At the end of the day I couldnt care less what you or your friends want to buy, just buy what you like and what you want.

People in general need to be more patient. AMD's new offering is right around the corner, seeing all the news lately, and it seems like a very good offering at that.

AMD has not been competition for Intel or NVIDIA for a long time now. That's a simple fact. Sadly AMD has gone too deep in debt to ever recover and are slowly shrinking to the point they won't be able to go on anymore. AMD's market cap is now around $2 billion which is half what they paid for ATI. You don't need a MBA to know how bad that is. To put it into perspective, AMD's stock value is less than what Microsoft paid for Minecraft.

I will miss AMD, there was a time when they made some really good products. Much like 3DFX and several other tech companies that have come and gone over the years.

Just looked at the retailer I use primarily in the UK, and the 290X and 970 are on even footing for pricing - I note newegg aren't stocking GTX970s at the moment, but they seemed to be $330-$350 or so versus $360-$400 for the 290X. Given the 290X's admittedly slight performance increase over the 970, "bang for buck" as they say the pricing seems pretty good to me. it's just the other drawbacks of power, heat and noise that make the AMD the lesser product. As far as competition goes right now it really doesn't seem all that bad to me, the nvidia product just seems the better-engineered design is all. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be selling. I was more than happy to live with a hot, noisy PC for a few years in pursuit of performance but now I'm slightly less willing to suffer it, and the quiet, cool and calm GTX970 is offering me a welcome breath of fresh air after my previous hardware. Still though, it's certainly no better than the 290X in my experience, in actual fact very slightly worse, so given the slightly lower price, is AMD really falling that far behind?
Technologically speaking yes, but performance/price point wise, things really don't seem so bad to me...

People keep saying AMD is more diversified than nvidia.

hmmm lets see where both are players.

AMD
CPU/GPU/APU Laptop, deskstop, workstations, servers.
Game consoles
Mac

Nvidia
GPU PCs, Laptop, Workstation
Tablets
Automobile
HPC
3d Design
3d rendering and pre-vis systems.
Cloud gaming/computing

Sure AMD is also in some markets as nvidia, but its presence is pretty much lacking.

That said, I think AMD has some of the BEST engineers (the 3 or 4 that are left :p ). AMD can't spend the billions nvidia does in R&D, yet they still make great video cards.

AMD should sell ATI to Intel, who at least have the resources and muscle and influence to put R&D money. That would make my favorite graphics company blossom.

Gamers would benefit more like f it becomes Intel vs. NVIDIA. The two companies are not the best pals in the industry either.

The lack of R&D capability is starting to show though, it's been showing on the CPU side for a long time - the GPU side is now starting to creak as well, in my mind.

AMD should sell ATI to Intel, who at least have the resources and muscle and influence to put R&D money. That would make my favorite graphics company blossom.

Gamers would benefit more like f it becomes Intel vs. NVIDIA. The two companies are not the best pals in the industry either.

I think AMD should spin-off its graphics division while its still profitable.

Children like you and Final8ty should stay out of these threads.
Every few years we hear of AMD going out of Business, losing market share,
Yes by people like you, and we are tired on hearing no really is the truth this time when you have not got a frigging clue, because if you had there would not of been all the other going out of Business spewed forth BS over there years and its nothing more than a broken record. go and enjoy your NV card in the NV section, we dont need any advance from people like you who have gotten it wrong time after time.

Last edited:
Well maybe not, but I don't see AMD doing something 'for the good of the graphics sector' that will see itself fold...

People keep saying AMD is more diversified than nvidia.

hmmm lets see where both are players.

AMD
CPU/GPU/APU Laptop, deskstop, workstations, servers.
Game consoles
Mac

Nvidia
GPU PCs, Laptop, Workstation
Tablets
Automobile
HPC
3d Design
3d rendering and pre-vis systems.
Cloud gaming/computing

Sure AMD is also in some markets as nvidia, but its presence is pretty much lacking.

That said, I think AMD has some of the BEST engineers (the 3 or 4 that are left :p ). AMD can't spend the billions nvidia does in R&D, yet they still make great video cards.

You do know that AMD also does:
Chipsets
Memory
HPC
3D Design / rendering
Not sure why you'd leave that out. :)
(Also ARM Cpus recently)

T]
really Final8ty? You know I don't troll you've been around long enough.

What! you are either fed up with the 2x EVGA GTX 980 already or you expected AMD to have a card ready in the same week (you been around long enough to know better), other than effecting the price it should not matter as long as you are happy with what you have just bought. because if AMD brings out a better product next week then what, its sell up and swap and change and then you will be in the NV section with Frustrated Re: Lack of Competition from NV.

What! you are either fed up with the 2x EVGA GTX 980 already or you expected AMD to have a card ready in the same week, other than effecting the price it should not matter as long as you are happy with what you have just bought. because if AMD brings out a better product next week then what, its sell up and swap and change and then you will be in the NV section with Frustrated Re: Lack of Competition from NV.

LOL, I'm happy with what I got simply because it is the best. I have no loyalty to either brand. What I'm not happy about regarding my purchase is how little improvement it was over the last gen cards. (I know, I know 980 is supposed to compete with the 780 NOT the Ti)

Still My concern with the graphics market is that it will become the cpu market 2.0.

Bro my i7 2600k that I sold recently holds up pretty damn well against AMD and intels best when I overclock it to 4.8Ghz, that's sad for a chip I bought in Jan 2011.

Imagine a world where the top of the line graphics card in 2017 will only be 30% faster than a 980. Seriously that is the type of thing we're in for if things don't really get more competitive. That is the kind of thing we're already experiencing with CPU's. Thankfully Microsoft DX12 will get closer to the metal because current GPU's are sitting there waiting for something to crunch from our cpu's.

To answer your first question. IF amd does bring out a card next week that is significantly better than a 980 then Yes I would buy a pair of them. I support anything that moves the graphics industry forward for all of us. ;)

I think AMD should spin-off its graphics division while its still profitable.

And be left with the non profitable CPU division, yeah right. you spin off the non profitable divisions not the profitable ones unless you are closing up and cashing out.

Last edited:
LOL, I'm happy with what I got simply because it is the best. I have no loyalty to either brand. What I'm not happy about regarding my purchase is how little improvement it was over the last gen cards. (I know, I know 980 is supposed to compete with the 780 NOT the Ti)

Which is not the fault of AMD as no matter what AMD brings out it will not effect what the 980 is and you have no way of knowing if AMD would end up do the same with little improvement over the 290x.
The biggest problem is the process which neither party can do anything about.

What difference would it make if they spin off the GPU division or not? The money will still come from AMD's pockets for research and all other expenses. This isnt some social media website spinoff BS, people will still know its coming from AMD, especially companies buying in bulk. You really think a different name would make things different? Come on...

You do know that AMD also does:
Chipsets
Memory
HPC
3D Design / rendering
Not sure why you'd leave that out. :)
(Also ARM Cpus recently)

Chipsets, for themselves
Memory, rebrand
SSDs for that matter, also rebrand.

HPC... well there are supercomputers running AMD cpus, but Nvidia GPUs. Not really a player.

3d Design / Rendering. IIRC Nvidia has like 90% of the market. But even if its half that, it would still be orders of magnitude bigger than AMD. Almost every render farm is based on quadro/tesla and intel CPUs. Again, not a player.

BTW. I'm currently a contractor for an Oil Company. Guess what GPUs are running their simulations.

And be left with the non profitable CPU division, yeah right. you spin off the non profitable divisions not the profitable ones unless you are closing up and cashing out.

So better bleed it to death then...

The writing on the wall is that the CPU advancements are slowing primarily due to the physical limitations of the materials that we currently manufacture with. The lack of competition is largely only impacting price at this point. It actually could be worse on the pricing front, but I suspect the big players in their respective markets (Intel & nVidia) know that if they lower the boot too hard on the neck of their only legitimate competitor (AMD) then the international courts will be all over them for operating a monopoly.

AMD will have their new cards out next spring and we'll have the exact same conversation about what nVidia's answer will be to that development. The difference is that nVidia has the budget to release a product that is competitive now, while also holding the release of a product that is going to be competitive then. At that point in time the whole thing shifts back to AMD...

Someone previously mentioned circle jerks, I think this pretty much qualifies. Just don't get trapped under friendly fire...

So better bleed it to death then...

You dont sell off a profitable division period unless you have other profitable divisions, you never sell off a profitable division to pay for a non profitable division, it just does not happen.

You dont sell off a profitable division period unless you have other profitable divisions, you never sell off a profitable division to pay for a non profitable division, it just does not happen.

That's right, lets sell the non-profitable division to pay for the other non profitable division. Certainly worked well for AMD :D:D

Youll never be able to avoid the whole fanboy argument in the tech industry, because it seems people who use tech like cell phones and computer hardware feel they have a need to defend their choice. At the end of the day I couldnt care less what you or your friends want to buy, just buy what you like and what you want.

People in general need to be more patient. AMD's new offering is right around the corner, seeing all the news lately, and it seems like a very good offering at that.
I believe it's mostly people of limited means who are the biggest fanboys. For them, the purchase of a tech product is a bigger relative investment which makes them more driven to defend it.

I believe it's mostly people of limited means who are the biggest fanboys. For them, the purchase of a tech product is a bigger relative investment which makes them more driven to defend it.

That and being young with limited experience. Once they mature and truely experience both sides of the field the fanboy behavior 'should' start to taper off.

That and being young with limited experience. Once they mature and truely experience both sides of the field the fanboy behavior 'should' start to taper off.

that fanboyism never end for some people here in the forum.. no matter how old they are..

my line of GPUs.
ATI Rage
ATI 9000 pro
ATI 9800XT
ATI X800XT PE
nVidia 680 ultra
nVidia 7800GTX
ATI X1900XTX
nVidia 8800 Ultra
nVidia 285 GTX
nVidia 480 GTX
nVidia 580 GTX
nVidia 680 GTX
nVidia 780 GTX
nVidia Titan GTX
nVidia 780 GTX Ti
Radeon 290 Crossfire
Radeon 290X
GTX 980s and GTX 970s

So I have pretty much seen it all. Was a huge ATI fan when I was young and loved Ruby by the way. Been swaying to nVidia more in the past years but still not hesitant when I see a good price to performance ratio.

I hope the ATI brand name comes back and Dave Orton takes back the realm. ATI used to kick some serious ass.

This list should be fairly telling ;)

ATI Rage Pro
Geforce 4 MX440
Radeon 9200
Radeon X800 Pro AGP
Radeon X1900XT
Radeon X1600 Pro
3x Radeon HD3870 (1 RMA'ed, 2 in crossfire, briefly!)
Radeon HD4870
2x Radeon HD4870X2
Radeon HD4830
2x Radeon HD5970 4GB (both RMA'ed)
2x Radeon HD6970
Radeon HD7770
Radeon R9 290X (RMA'ed)
Geforce GTX 970

2x EVGA GTX 980 4GB SLi
Yes, you sound so frustrated.
I can only imagine the pain you're going through knowing AMD isn't competing in the current market.

My heart truly bleeds for you.

I guess tomorrow we should expect, idk, GoldenTiger to make a thread about how incredibly depressed he is with AMD's current position.
Oh, the humanity. The terror, the horror... Crying crocodile tears while you rub down your naked body with those GTX 980's I guess.

"Sympathy trolling" must be the new thing. Better than flamebaiting.

The moral of this story is: Even if AMD had a competitive card with the GTX 980, matched its price and performance very closely, you would come up with some other excuse to buy Nvidia.
Probably... PhysX? Gotta have that. Oh and Shadowplay. Can't live without those. Damn you AMD for not being competitive!

When Nvidia takes 6 months to release a competitor, it means they're crafting the perfect GPU.
When AMD does it, they've failed in the market.

wtf is wrong with the hardware community?

Last edited:
Originally in the Sig of: TaintedSquirrel
Sapphire 280X Vapor-X Tri-X @ stock 1100/1500, 1.2v

So because I have 2 GTX 980s I can't feel that they could have been more powerful and cheaper for all of us if AMD was more competitive? I can't feel that AMD should offer something more competitive so that I could have a harder time choosing or supporting AMD by purchasing their new product, so that it stimulates the GPU industry to be a competitive driven industry that bennefits all Gamers? FYI I had dual AMD 6950s before my dual GTX 680s and actually planned on getting whatever succeeded the R290X.

The morale of this story is Fanboys will be Fanboys. They read something and shut their brain off. "Oh no (hugs 3 Radeon 280X Vapor cards)" How dare he say anything to challenge the perfect (deluded) world I live in where AMD is doing great and make the best products and nothing should change for the better. Anyone saying anything negative about AMD is Flaimbaiting or Sympathy Trolling especially if they have geforce cards . ;)

Seriously though, this is the norm in this industry. So yes, AMD can take as long as they want, it's their perogative, I don't own any stock in either company so if they think they can afford to bleed with their current standing then so be it. I do, however, concern myself with AMD because they play a huge role in the GPU industry that is near and dear to my heart.

I can't feel that AMD should offer something more competitive so that I could have a harder time choosing or supporting AMD by purchasing their new product
Unless you're a toddler then you should know by now this is how it always works.
The 900 series is, what, less than a month old?! There's always a time gap between GPU generations from both AMD and Nvidia.

Because the 390X doesn't launch the same day as the GTX 980 suddenly the entire world is collapsing.
Meanwhile the same thing has happened by both Nvidia and AMD over the last decade or longer.

If Pirate Islands launches in Q1 2015 on 20nm w/ HBM then it's already a generation ahead of Maxwell. Damn you Nvidia, why can't you be more competitive!

Nvidia fanboy excuse hierarchy:
#1 "AMD doesn't have anything competitive."

if that fails, then:
#2 "AMD is competitive but Nvidia has better drivers/power consumption"

if both #1 and #2 fail, then:
#3 "AMD wins all-around but they don't have Shadowplay/PhysX/etc"

Unless you're a toddler then you should know by now this is how it always works.
The 900 series is, what, less than a month old?! There's always a time gap between GPU generations from both AMD and Nvidia.

Because the 390X doesn't launch the same day as the GTX 980 suddenly the entire world is collapsing.
Meanwhile the same thing has happened by both Nvidia and AMD over the last decade or longer.

If Pirate Islands launches in Q1 2015 on 20nm w/ HBM then it's already a generation ahead of Maxwell. Damn you Nvidia, why can't you be more competitive!

Truth be told, I really wish and hope that AMD puts out something that nvidia can't provide a competitive answer to for a while. I think Nvidia is overdue for it's Prescott equivalent GPU vs AMD's AMD 64 equivalent GPU. Nvidia needs to bleed a little IMHO. That would balance the universe but I guess I'm a dreamer

&#9835; Imagine.. a GPU Heaven &#9834; Imagine If Fanboys Cared &#9834; Imagine all the people, Living with G.. P... U... 's &#9835; :p:D

I love this gif :D

thisisunsettlingp11.gif

Truth be told, I really wish and hope that AMD puts out something that nvidia can't provide a competitive answer to for a while. I think Nvidia is overdue for it's Prescott equivalent GPU vs AMD's AMD 64 equivalent GPU. Nvidia needs to bleed a little IMHO. That would balance the universe but I guess I'm a dreamer

&#9835; Imagine.. a GPU Heaven &#9834; Imagine If Fanboys Cared &#9834; Imagine all the people, Living with G.. P... U... 's &#9835; :p:D

I think the last time that happened was the Geforce FX series wasn't it?

Nvidia fanboy excuse hierarchy:
#1 "AMD doesn't have anything competitive."

if that fails, then:
#2 "AMD is competitive but Nvidia has better drivers/power consumption"

if both #1 and #2 fail, then:
#3 "AMD wins all-around but they don't have Shadowplay/PhysX/etc"

The problem this time for AMD is they just released a chip which is in the same die size range as the gtx 980/970. Same power characteristics too.

The difference is Nvidia can charge 329 and 549 for the card, while AMD is stuck selling the r9 285 at 249 or less and it still has a hard time getting a recommendation in reviews at that price. Its about 50 percent slower than a gtx 970, but only 30% cheaper only.

When Nvidia can charge 549 for a midsize chip, we have a problem. This results in 1000 dollar titan cards and garbage like that.

Back in the day, nvidia's midrange chip used to get bested by the biggest chip from AMD. E.g gts 250 vs 4870, gtx 460 vs 5870, 560 vs 6970.

This shifted for the first time during the gtx 680 vs 7970.

Because the 7970 underwhelmed, Nvidia got to up the gk104 to a high end chip and because AMD got greedy with 7970 pricing, we have generally one of the most expensive generations ever for cards.

AMD redeemed themselves with 290x, but they released a product that was generally forced and strained to compete like the gtx 480.

The problem is the 290x is really an overclocked card and not one to be cooled with standard reference cooling. If the 290 series was a more elegant solution like its past cards were, quiet mode would be the only mode on the card. The problem is in quiet mode, the card performs too inconsistent. We have card variation of 5-20% slower than uber mode depending on the sample.

Compare this to the gtx 980, which is just getting started at the clocks they are shipped at. The 290x at 1ghz boost has a hard time maintaining clocks, sounds loud and consumes considerable power. Nvidia could clock the gtx 980 10 percent higher and it still wouldn't be be pushed as hard as the 290x is.

When the power consumption and performance is taken as a whole, the gtx 980 is almost as impressive as a new architecture with a die shrink.

The gtx 980 has a 75% performance advantage over the r9 285. The gtx 980 is so overpriced because the r9 285 is so slow.

If AMD was as competitive as it was in the past, the r9 285 should be atleast as fast as a gtx 970. Not blown out of the park like the current situation.

Chipsets, for themselves
Memory, rebrand
SSDs for that matter, also rebrand.

HPC... well there are supercomputers running AMD cpus, but Nvidia GPUs. Not really a player.

3d Design / Rendering. IIRC Nvidia has like 90% of the market. But even if its half that, it would still be orders of magnitude bigger than AMD. Almost every render farm is based on quadro/tesla and intel CPUs. Again, not a player.

BTW. I'm currently a contractor for an Oil Company. Guess what GPUs are running their simulations.

you were referring to "diversity" not market share, so lets stick to one argument at a time, shall we :)?

you were referring to "diversity" not market share, so lets stick to one argument at a time, shall we :)?

True, but having just a tiny slice of a pie doesn't really count as diversity. Looks more like tumbling from one market to another.

Nvidia has a strong presence in all the markets I mentioned, except tablets (and that might change with K1 and beyond).

Back