From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by FrgMstr, May 27, 2016.

1. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

You also realize that right now, with NVIDIA pushing into HPC and the server market, they're ultimately a bigger threat to Intel's bottom line than AMD, right? I'm assuming Intel doesn't want to keep funding the people working their hardest to put them out of business. AMD and Intel both compete on x86 chips and as long as software designers keep making software for x86 there is enough business for both of them. If ARM or GPU technologies take off, THAT hurts Intel's bottom line far more than AMD taking a 5% chunk of the x86 server market. AMD plays in the professional space, but their bread and butter is lower cost consumer grade hardware. NVIDIA is going directly after a market that Intel has essentially owned 100% for decades, and right now has way more R&D budget ot throw at it than AMD. I sure know who I'd think is the bigger threat to my company in that scenario.

2. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

Hey remember when there was the grilling Nvidia for creating a performance chart that was rather long for what was seen as small gains.
    Well this has made me smile.

[​IMG]

Nvidia marketing would be proud :)
    Cheers

Mav451, Ieldra, NeoNemesis and 6 others like this.
  3. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

Intel is capable of moving things faster then AMD because they have multiple teams and have multiple processor types in their pipelines. AMD only has one processor per generation being designed because of the resources they have. How can you not see that? That is why AMD was stuck with Phenom and Bulldozer, once they made a choice that was it, 5 years per chip.

Intel on the other hand, has cut down to 3 years per node and 2 gens within that node, that is 1.5 years per gen (now going back to 4.5 gens per node but still maintains the 1.5 years per gen)

How many people thought AMD was going to maintain their lead with Athlon 64? I mean did it even look remotely possible for a 5 billion dollar company to go up against a 150 billion dollar company and think, Intel (150 billion), wouldn't be able to compete? All of AMD's designs came from Intel by reverse engineering and making them better! Even the Athlon's, which were made by a company buyout of Nexgen who reverse engineered Intel's latest chips too, which was the PIII.

Intel screwed up and that is why AMD was able to take the lead. It had nothing to do with AMD. On top of that when Intel went back to their PIII design and updated it they came out with core designs which were already on the market in laptops 1 year after P4's were out. And more updates came with Nehalem once it was ready for desktops.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. razor1

love the superscript lol.

Armenius, CSI_PC and Rvenger like this.
  5. Pusher of Buttons

Oi....I've always been an AMD homer, and I have a RX480 in my desktop....but their marketing for this generation has been almost too much for me. Really all they need to market is: 98% of the performance for 10% less! And people will buy the damn things.

CSI_PC and pendragon1 like this.
  6. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

This is an admission by Intel that they'll never be able to build a good enough GPU on their own. The players in the GPU space is down to two.

Did you buy or sell the proper options to profit from this Kyle? Whenever I read something on Seeking Alpha or a similar site, I know they'd love to have the inside knowledge you just had and wouldn't hesitate one second to leverage it as much as possible (not that I agree with it).

N4CR and FrgMstr like this.
  7. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle just made AMD a crapton of money, AMD please play nice.

8. Tyns

Tyns Limp Gawd

Relevent: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4029144-amd-takeover-barrier-golden-prize-x86-license

9. Megaslug

Megaslug Limp Gawd

I'll mention one word: Apple

Intel CPUs, AMD GPUs (in the models that have a discrete GPU). Integrate them and even the lower modules get effectively the same GPU as the higher end models, making the software and drivers simpler, and on some models having a built in AMD GPU may be enough to remove the discrete GPU, saving BoM costs and board space.

10. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

viscountalpha and cageymaru like this.
  11. Pusher of Buttons

I bought 100 shares after the RX480 was released in the summer at 5.11 a share just to say I did....has been looking like a good decision for awhile.

Armenius and pendragon1 like this.
  12. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

I do not own any tech stocks and think it would be unethical for me to do so.

:) Maybe one day they will love us again. Of course that is very likely going to be on AMD and it building better products for us to report on. That said, we have had nothing but good things to say about Polaris performance on the desktop for the most part.

13. kdh

kdh Gawd

I picked up a fair amount of stock when it was around 3.50$ a share couple years back. glad i didn't dump it. my etrade account looked pretty pimp this morning.

Chimpee, iQuasarLV, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  14. Tyns

Tyns Limp Gawd

Most likely would be considered insider trading as the information wasn't made publicly available.

15. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Making America Great Again.

Thanks AMD and Intel.

razor1 and FrgMstr like this.
  16. aliaskary77

aliaskary77 Limp Gawd

not a lot of money, but bought a few at $2.40 5 years ago with the long term goal to sell at $8. sold 75% of them a few weeks ago at $8.19.

bought some (about 70% of initial shares) again at $9.65 yesterday. the 25% initial purchase I will hold till next summer.

trying to figure out when to sell the new shares to lock in my gains. someone here shorted it a few weeks ago and its only been going up. it can go either way so i dont want to take too much of a risk.

17. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

The stock is only going up due to upgrades on the premise that Intel and NVidia is doing well then AMD must as well. So as fast as it went up it can go down. So plan the exit so you come out with profit.

18. Pusher of Buttons

Well, they're going up due to years of bad business practices being turned around. They're still worth a fraction of what NVIDIA and Intel are, but they're paying off debt and at least keeping a foot in the race. They've stopped trying to straight up beat Intel and NVIDIA and are looking to compete at the lower level while getting their fingers in every pie they can find. The Intel deal could be great, of course, but they're also in both console systems, they've been closing out a bunch of good sized custom chip deals, they're moving into both Google and Ali Baba's cloud platforms....and they still have Zen and Vega on tap.

They don't HAVE to be better than Intel or NVidia. They need to be 90% as good at 80% of the price. And IF Zen overachieves and actually beats Intel in some areas, look out. AMD stock has exploded in the past when they've had superior products, ie. the early Athlon and early x64/multicore days. Same thing for Vega. The RX480 got them a ton of sales and it's a great example of the model.

With that said, there's room for everyone. I use whatever gives me the best value at the time. Right now AMD CPUs and mobile GPU lines kind of suck, so my desktop is a Haswell with an RX480 and my laptop is a Skylake with a GTX1060....when Zen and Vega come out I hope to be able to re-do my desktop situation a bit. But this is the way MOST consumers are. Not brand driven, value driven. And If AMD can nail their price points there is plenty of room for them.

19. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Thats not the whole story Shintai. Yeah, if Intel and Nvidia are enjoying growing markets, then AMD, competing in those markets, should be able to get some of that growth, but conversely, AMD is the underdog and at the end of the day, if Nvidia and Intel are doing well, their ability to overstep AMD increases, until AMD can't compete and falls out and that is why AMD's stock prospects have been low as they were. The stock is rising on the basis of the upcoming Zen and Vega launch, a decent Polaris launch, Alibaba and Google data center deals, this potential Intel deal, and Leadership team under Lisa Su that has managed to relieve its debt obligations and financials from overwhelming them short term, and overall, project an image conductive to future growth and competition.

But your recommendation is spot on. Zen launch is going to be the point where people are going to have to decide if holding AMD is a good idea, or if it might just be better to be cautious and pull back.

razor1 likes this.
  20. pendragon1

$10.60!

21. FrgMstr

Armenius, Mav451, SeymourGore and 4 others like this.
  22. pendragon1

kinda amazing what one comment from you can/has cause/d :)

Armenius likes this.
  23. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

Bud Fox advices all AMD shareholders to sell.. Sell.. SELL!!

[​IMG]

Look likes Charlie has 2 and a half screens!!

24. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Blue Horseshoe loves AMD! lololo

Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  25. Presbytier

Presbytier [H]ard|Gawd

I'd hold onto shares till the 12th then dump them before AMD can disappoint us on the 13th.

Armenius, Shintai and FrgMstr like this.
  26. FrgMstr

Well, have to have a LITTLE credibility too. ;) That said, at this time I am still sticking with the tech showing up in Intel iGPU rather than just a deal for the patents. That may change, but I truly do not think that is the plan at the time I got the information.

renz496, pendragon1 and razor1 like this.
  27. razor1

Well the reason why AMD's stock price has gone up, is because of the potential of AMD to becoming healthy again is quite imminent and because the stock was under priced, now if Zen can hold up it will go up to 15 if not, well I think as you stated, its going to fall again.

SighTurtle likes this.
  28. razor1

I would drop or keep AMD based on leaks, within the two weeks to a month prior to Zen's launch because those leaks will be telling.

The hype also creates a ballooning effect of the stock price, so right now we are in that phase with all that hype.

of course you need to weigh which leaks are credible or not, but that is easy to do if you take AMD's best numbers and go from there, there is enough information they have shared to figure this out.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  29. Pusher of Buttons

I just hope we're getting back to a time where there was serious competition....I loved the early 2000s of system building. Real competition from good products on both sides trading blows....Athlons dominating one benchmark and P4s another, GeForce vs Radeon....the CPU market is largely stale and has been since the Core and Phenoms were battling. Even if you're an Intel/NVidia fanboy you have to admit the competition is what's made great products. The 1000 series NVidia cards are amazing, they wouldn't have any reason to release that big of a step between generations if AMD wasn't right on their heals. The Skylake/Kabylake....meh....Intel has no real reason to do much there. Haswell is still perfectly fine, and I'm sure Ivy/Sandy Bridge machines are still capable with the right video card of keeping pace. That race needs serious jumpstart.

30. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

Seriously, thank you Kyle. When I bough AMD years ago at $5.50 a share, I had until just recently figured that it was a loss. So much so that I stopped tracking it. Needless to say, I was shocked when I logged in to my brokerage account and saw it trading at $10 a share. In all seriousness though, I just hope AMD will be able to rise once more and bevome a serious alternative once again.

31. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

$10.34 @ close.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, I hope you aren't glued to your phone/email waiting for that apology + thank you combo message from them. :p

33. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

So... is somebody going to die over this information leaking?

I'm imagining Kyle hiding in a ventilation grate as AMD/Intel execs are making their super secret deals. Or perhaps secrets being leaked from Roy Taylor's lips after a successful seduction.

34. FrgMstr

I wish it was that cloak and dagger.

And I have a loaded .45 wthin reach at most times, so I doubt I am going to die over this information leaking. ;)

Armenius likes this.
  35. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

They'll just ban you from events and make fun of you on their sub Reddit.

36. FrgMstr

Armenius and razor1 like this.
  37. razor1

As long as Intel takes the lead with Marketing and PR, it should go well!

Wierdo, Armenius and N4CR like this.
  38. aztekk

aztekk Limp Gawd

It's gonna be a very interesting new year...

39. rat

rat [H]ardness Supreme

Still unsubstantiated.

There's nothing that suggests this isn't just another patent licensing deal so Intel can continue using their own iGPU designs.

nVidia's expire, Intel licenses AMD's for less.

And even though it's being reported that Kyle 'broke' the news, it's been reported on earlier this year that it would likely happen.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3045...o-amd-for-radeon-graphics-tech-licensing.html

Did Intel use nVidia's tech in their iGPUs? Nope. Just a CYA patent licensing move. No reason to think the AMD situation is exactly the same.

Bahanime likes this.