Free Technet Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do keys work with a TechNet subscription? How many can I generate?

i think its 10. and they must be used before the year is over. but if the program is activated within the year, it will remain activated indefinitely or until the computer is reformatted.

btw, i love microsoft :)

So... did you just put your real address there? Or did you made it up? Since I'm neither from the USA nor the UK.... eh :D
What do they send to your address anyway? A DVD?

I added it my current sub and under the management area it has this for expiration:
Expiration Date: 1/1/1900

So... did you just put your real address there? Or did you made it up? Since I'm neither from the USA nor the UK.... eh :D
What do they send to your address anyway? A DVD?

i put in my real address. they probably wont send out anything, especially if you chose to prefer the downloads over the dvd's

I'm interested in Windows Server 2008 and Exchange 2008 mainly. Updated office is nice but I don't require it.

This is legit, right? We can keep using the software for a long time etc?

The thought just crossed my mind... we will have access to Windows 7 too when it gets released, won't we?

The thought just crossed my mind... we will have access to Windows 7 too when it gets released, won't we?

We should.

This is a potential benefit, yes, and probably one reason why they're offering this at this point in time, to get more people using Windows 7 in "professional" circles and not just your average Joe (not me, I assure you) running the betas/RCs. Note that you're supposed to give them feedback and do some blog posts - I mean really, how tough is that to do, a few paragraphs of feedback - and also there's 2 more surveys to be completed when asked. Normal Technet subs are 1 year durations, so... pretty sure Windows 7 will be out before June 1, 2010. :D

For the cost, this is the best deal ever...

One of the reasons I wanted a sub is so I can download OS ISO's. I work on a lot of family and friends PC's that need reformats. They have their license but they lost or threw out the physical media over the years.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

they already have the RC's plastered all over technet. we will get the real thing when it hits RTM, i have no worries.

Note that the ISOs we're allowed to access and download with a Technet sub are not the same as the typical OEM ISOs you can get access to with an MSDN sub - these are either Volume License editions (they don't provide keys, just the ISOs), some channel partner editions, and primarily Retail version ISOs of the products available. OEM keys on COA stickers on OEM hardware won't work with these products... at least they shouldn't, they come from totally different key pools.

This is a potential benefit, yes, and probably one reason why they're offering this at this point in time, to get more people using Windows 7 in "professional" circles and not just your average Joe (not me, I assure you) running the betas/RCs. Note that you're supposed to give them feedback and do some blog posts - I mean really, how tough is that to do, a few paragraphs of feedback - and also there's 2 more surveys to be completed when asked. Normal Technet subs are 1 year durations, so... pretty sure Windows 7 will be out before June 1, 2010. :D

For the cost, this is the best deal ever...

last years deal for the free ultimate disc turned out to be a joke, in the best way. there was never any followup crap to do like they said there would be, and they gave everyone two keys when it was supposed to just be one. it was a simple survey and free discs, and leave that feedback app on for 3 months. that deal was fantastic, and this seems similarly awesome.

AFAIK, yes... licenses are "perennial" and the only limitation they carry is that they can't be used in production environments.

I'm in. Looks like they are looking for people in the small business consumer support space.

I'm in. Looks like they are looking for people in the small business consumer support space.

from what ive noticed, ever since the debacle of the vista RTM release, microsoft is desperately looking for valuable feedback on their products. so much so that it seems like 1/4 of all the keys they generate are given away in exchange for feedback in some form or another.

WTF, I signed up using the US as my country and they sent me the link for the UK. I cant change the country and thus cannot sign up

Morons.:rolleyes:
It expires 1/1/1900? I also specifically put that I was in the USA, and it still came out in the end as UK.

As long as I get to keep it.

It expires 1/1/1900? I also specifically put that I was in the USA, and it still came out in the end as UK.

yep, this must be a uk-only thing. who knows if they will actually track down all of the american signups and kill the subs... i doubt it.

WTF, I signed up using the US as my country and they sent me the link for the UK. I cant change the country and thus cannot sign up

The 1/1/1900 date will change to 6/1/2010 after you complete the second step of the program, the ITAC website registration.

Yes the UK thing has already been mentioned. You can still download the ISO's and generate product keys. You just are not getting any DVD's in the mail.

Thanks for the heads up on oem keys. Most of the family have retail vista home premium on them.

2 fiends have retail XP media center addition but lost the discs a few years ago. Its still good to have the ISO's just in case.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back