Free MS mouse/keyboard replacement

How long is the warranty duration on an MS mouse? Mine was made 3701 but I bought it brand new from a retailer only 10 months ago. It died 2 months ago... Am I SOL?

elguapo said:
There's no really apparent designation of the version on the bottom of my mouse. Theres a serial with a barcode, the numbers 4701 printed on it and then 2 chineese/japaneese characters and 3902b008

It says above the barcode, "IntelliMouse Explorer" on my first gen one and says "IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0a" on my you guessed it 3.0a. =)

I sent my firstgen to the fax number it doesnt even have a datestamp on the bottom, I doubt I'll get anything, but it did bork on me before I bought the 3.0a which is stamped 2103.

Heh, Microsoft has been doing this for a long time now. I can't believe some of you are just finding out about it :p.

It sucks that it doesn't work with OEM though because i have an OEM Intelli 4.0 that i'll have to RMA back to Newegg if i want a replacement and Newegg will probably send me a refurb or somethin since i bought it last year.

Yeah im just now finding out about it and would like to say thanks. =)
The first gen I sent in is on the left. =)
free.jpg

Lord of Shadows said:
Yeah im just now finding out about it and would like to say thanks. =)
The first gen I sent in is on the left. =)
free.jpg

Nice, I have yet to do it though. Did you do everything over the phone or fax?

I just called because I have the left click sticking or not responding. But she said I needed to provide a sales receipt. I'll have to try and find I guess.

I didnt call anyone or send a receipt, I just faxed all my info to that number like it says on the first page.

I just checked my email this morning and they sent me a "they recieved it email" then a "heres tracking number email" and finally a "it shipped email". Too bad I hadnt checked my mail before it arrived. =P

I've taken all of my Explorers apart when they had problems, so here's the scoop on the issues they have.

StratocasterMaster said:
This is interesting... I had my old Intellimouse (2.0?) stop responding to me, it wouldnt recognize being connected to the comp... I just let it collect dust on the shelf... that'd be awesome if they'd replace it.

I also have a Intellimouse 3.0 'special edition' but it has been working FLAWLESSLY for some time now, I love it... I still like my MX500 but the first Intellimouse was the best fitment for my hand. :s

~Kris

You won't be able to get the "original" (the big blob otherwise known as the 1.0). I've found that, although I didn't expect to, I prefer the 3.0 shape, and that's what they'll give you as a replacement. The 1.0's die in one way and one way only: the wires in the cord break. Take it apart, remove the stupid plug the cord attaches by, chop the cord off a couple of inches OUTSIDE of the mouse, and solder the wires onto the mouse's PCB in the right order. Voila.

PEZOHOLIC said:
shit I have this problem with my explorer (LOVE THE MOUSE WOULD TRADE IT FOR NOTHING) where the mouse wheel roatates when it wants....really sucks for FPS games like HL2 when all of a sudden your rocket luancher pops out in the middle of a fight then BAM gibblets all over the place LOL.

Good find!

I was thinking of posting a picture, but here's the deal with this. The wheel is stupidly placed inside the mouse and sticks due to a really dumb manufacturing oversight: The PCBs inside the mouse are made as segments of larger boards, and they have stupid little perforated bits that break so they get a bunch of little boards. The problem is that some moron didn't think about this, drew a straight line in their CAD program, and figured the wheel would clear the board. There are 3 little "tabs" sticking out of the centre of the front edge of the main PCB inside the mouse, and the wheel has enough play to move back and snag on them, which screws up how far it moves. Also, clean out the part of the wheel's axle responsible for that "clicky" feeling, and put a TINY bit of lube on all of the axle contact points (the "clicking" detente, located under the axle, and the 3 seats in which it rotates) while you're at it. Should be good as new. Just did mine.

Ok, so Lord of Shadows got a 4.0 Explorer as a replacement for his 1.0. Does this mean that if I request a replacement for my 3.0, I will get a 4.0? This makes sense because Microsoft only makes the 4.0 now, but is also a bummer because the 4.0's scroll wheel is useless in 3ds max and games.

Yeah. I'm thinking of going and raiding some online stores and getting like a half dozen 3.0's.

This is still going on? I have an old 1.0 that works sometimes, and others it's totally dead. Probably the wires broke or nearly broken. I'll give her a try if nothing else.

My MS BT Desktop receiver was shot, so I just switched over to Logi's MX Duo. MS is backordered on the BT 2.0, so I'm just waiting now.

Ok, I just called in to get my mouse replaced. Took forever and 2 transfers. Made me install the software and open the diagnostics tool. If i'd do it again, I'd just fax it in.

Item(s) on backorder.

Est. Ship Date: 04/07/05
Description: OPTICALDSKTP ELITE FOR BLUETOOTH 2. (Part No: M54-00013)
Ordered 03/22/05, they just emailed me about it.

I just sent my fax in for my old explorer v1. It has some button/wheel probs. I needed a new mouse anyway for my Xbox running Gentoox.

Free Microsoft mouse running on a hacked Microsoft console with a open sorce OS :D

faxed my info in on friday, the 25th... hope it goes through.. the clicking issues with my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 are bugging me to no end lately.

and, thanks starbuck8968 for the heads up on this. tis greatly appreciated.

I called about 3 years ago when the original intellimouse i had broke. Microsoft not only sent a replacement, they sent me 4 :confused: and then called me to ask how the mouse was, when i said they sent 4, he said Happy Early Christmas, and suggested i give them away to friends. And they just didnt send me a mouse in a box, they send full retail mice to you.

Hey guys,

I have an old "Wireless Optical Mouse" that doesn't work at all, the cursor just sits there. Do you think they'll replace it with a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 4.0? If I ask nicely and tell them my birthday is on Monday the 4th (It is :))?

HekoAridese said:
Hey guys,

I have an old "Wireless Optical Mouse" that doesn't work at all, the cursor just sits there. Do you think they'll replace it with a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 4.0? If I ask nicely and tell them my birthday is on Monday the 4th (It is :))?
just fax it and see what happens

Well it looks like they will replace my 5 year old mouse. But they are backordered.
"Est. Ship Date: 04/19/05"
That gives me time to install another 64mb of ram into my xbox.

got mine today.. they replaced my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 with a 4.0 version. nice mouse, imo.. though, im not sure about that smooth scrolling scroll wheel... gotta get used to that.

it was apparantly backordered at first, and estimated to ship on the 14th of this month. but, they shipped it on the 2nd, and i got it today (the 5th).

sure is nice to have a mouse that no longer sporadically double-clicks when i single-click. :)

How long did it take for them to reply? I faxed them last week and haven't received any reply.

i'm getting a replacement too sweet!... It looks like my old mouse though... at least I will have one that works now... That thing took a beating, 5 years who'd expect a real mouse to live that long?...
Estimated Ship Date: 4/21/2005
I hate my mice's to pieces!!!
Sweet deal...

I also faxed them last monday 28th got confirmation of order just 2 days ago monday 4th.

Sweet but I have a question: Has anyone replaced their keyboard only? I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (very old version)...wonder if they will replace it?

Doubt they will Turbo Mach 5... I just received a letter from them regarding my MS Internet Keyboard Pro (made same time as yours) and they sent a letter saying "sorry it's discontinued" :( ...but try it anyhow! You never know!!

The good news is I got that Saitek Eclipse off of Woot! the other day so I'll be smiling again soon!! :)

got my new mouse yesterday! 10+ days before they said I would. I don't think they were really backordered. Looks nice with my xbox :cool:

check out the survey that M$ sent me "To rate your satisfaction" with my "purchase"
Msurvey.jpg

:rolleyes:

the same thing showed up on firefox too

Everyone got that, I gave them a nice review seeing how I got it free and faster than I could check my email.

HekoAridese said:
How long did it take to get your letter?

Sorry for the delay... it took about a week. I don't know exactly, but it was something close to that.

Lord of Shadows said:
Everyone got that, I gave them a nice review seeing how I got it free and faster than I could check my email.
everyone got a blank survey?

I didn't get one at all, but I got a Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 from my old 1.0 for free and the 2nd day after i sent the fax in... gotta love microshit.

I tried doing this with MS Australia, but I needed their warranty replacement line... I couldn't find it. I spent a few hours searching through microsoft.com for a support contact email. The person I got had good typing skills but he didn't understand English 100%... Given he had a foreign sounding name, looks like MS outsource their email support :rolleyes:

It took me half a week of constant back-and-forth between him and me. He tried getting rid of me at every opportunity and provided false information (Like that my mouse was out of warranty, when it isn't until Jun 20th 2006). He wasn't terribly helpful and in the end I couldn't get it because I still didn't have the box my mouse came in. Even though I still had the receipt after all these years. I think they just try to use any excuse for not replacing it.

Long story short - if you're international you might have a little trouble with this one, but there's no harm in trying to wrangle with their tech support. Who told me to check that my mouse was plugged in properly and asked if I had gotten the laser dirty and/or ever cleaned or touched it. And wanted me to reboot, despite the fact we had been talking for numerous days and I don't know of many normal users who leave their computer on all the time. :rolleyes:

I have two Intllimouse Explorer 3.0's(white/silver 5 button ones) and two Natural Keyboard Elite's....the mice have wonkey(only way I can think of describing it) scroll wheels and the keyboards each now have funny feeling space bars(when you push down on them, they sometimes don't come back up).

Yes they are all clean.

Can I get replacements for these? All of them?

Tiny said:
I have two Intllimouse Explorer 3.0's(white/silver 5 button ones) and two Natural Keyboard Elite's....the mice have wonkey(only way I can think of describing it) scroll wheels and the keyboards each now have funny feeling space bars(when you push down on them, they sometimes don't come back up).

Yes they are all clean.

Can I get replacements for these? All of them?
yep. fax them in.

Back