Free MS mouse/keyboard replacement

starbuck8968

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw this on Anandtech forums here:

The Skinny: Replace your Microsoft mouse (intellimouse, wireless, usb, ps2, whatever) for FREE. Note: ONLY on RETAIL (OEM will just be rejected)

*** YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUPPLY YOUR SALES RECEIPT, RETURN YOUR OLD MOUSE, OR PAY ANY SHIPPING CHARGES. ***

Note: Refer to the warranty or call the toll free number if you have any questions about Microsoft's policy. Below I'll outline the information given to me over the phone by a Microsoft Supplemental Parts rep.

If you call Microsoft Supplemental Parts (800-360-7561 toll free USA & Canada) they will give you a fax (716-447-7330). All you have to do is fax them the following:

1) To: Microsoft Supplemental Parts (<- rep said this was important)
2) your first & last name
3) address
4) telephone number
5) email address
6) photocopy of the bottom of your mouse, with a setting clear and light enough to show the Product ID information on the mouse.

I'm going to give it a try with my aging Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, having some double click issues... Also I think that you don't actually have to fax anything, just tell them you don't have a fax machine and they will take your info (so I hear).

Prolly gonna try this too. If anyone trys it before me without a fax machine then post please.

I've sent my mouse back to MS because it broke. It took them 4 weeks trying to find my mouse that they recieved and they even confermed that they got it with my tracking #.
After fighting with them every other day for a month that they had it and they knew they had it but couldnt locate it they finally sent me a replacement that was the wrong one so they had to ship the right one and I had to send the wrong one back unopened. I was without a decent mouse for about 3 months. So beware that they are reallllllly slow and the customer service sucks.

My intellimouse optical stopped working back in the day and I just called up microsoft and read them the number on the bottom of the mouse and they sent a new one to me for free. I really wish people wouldn't abuse this service just to get free hardware.

This is interesting... I had my old Intellimouse (2.0?) stop responding to me, it wouldnt recognize being connected to the comp... I just let it collect dust on the shelf... that'd be awesome if they'd replace it.

I also have a Intellimouse 3.0 'special edition' but it has been working FLAWLESSLY for some time now, I love it... I still like my MX500 but the first Intellimouse was the best fitment for my hand. :s

~Kris

everyone at work told me i was crazy but my Wireless Intellimouse Explorer WILL NOT function on a ratpadzGS All my other mice work fine, but it dose not for some funny reasion. I brought it in and showed them. Also the low battery feature has NEAVER worked.

Thanks for this, im printing it so i wont forget to do it.

quasimodem said:
And to think, I was just gonna throw out my dead mouse and order another one.

Thanx.

QM

I threw out my dead mouse and ordered another one. (Explorer 3.0)

shit I have this problem with my explorer (LOVE THE MOUSE WOULD TRADE IT FOR NOTHING) where the mouse wheel roatates when it wants....really sucks for FPS games like HL2 when all of a sudden your rocket luancher pops out in the middle of a fight then BAM gibblets all over the place LOL.

Good find!

I like MS for this...the only problem I see is the absolutely rampant abuse of the whole system. A good rule of thumb is that if you are going to use the mouse on another computer after you get the new one then it probably isn't really broken.

PEZOHOLIC said:
shit I have this problem with my explorer (LOVE THE MOUSE WOULD TRADE IT FOR NOTHING) where the mouse wheel roatates when it wants....really sucks for FPS games like HL2 when all of a sudden your rocket luancher pops out in the middle of a fight then BAM gibblets all over the place LOL.

Good find!
I reccomend to anyone i know not to buy smooth scrolling mice for this reasion.
It never switches to another gun, its alwase the machetti in far cry.

not really free, we all just have to pay more when we get a new one from the store...

if its broken, go for it... i got my brother an intelimouse a couple years ago, after a while it double clicked, scanned it to microsoft and got a free one :cool:

but seriously don't do it if yours works. i dont want the prices to go up for me :D

My explorer 4.0 is working great now, but it's awsome to know of this serverice if I ever have a problem.

Blast! My Original Intellimouse that died about a year ago is too old! Guess I'll just have to live with my Razer Viper. :) It's a shame though; that mouse was incredible, especially for it's time. So incredibly ergonomic... :D

PEZOHOLIC said:

Good find!

I have the explorer 3.0 and even without the smooth scrolling on the 4.0, mine still does this. Especially when you need your gun out the most: (coming around a corner to kill a camper, then boom you jump and..... your mouse decides to change to your knife!!). Doesn't that piss me off.

Does anyone else have this problem with the 3.0?

Logitech requires you to send in the old hardware, which means less old mice for me to disassemble. :(

I got free intellimice for almost 3 years with this trick. I just told them the wire went frayed at the base of the mouse, and 2 days later I had a new mouse at my doorstep. All they asked for was the serial number. Would of kept using the intellimouse but logitech converted me a while back.

I hate crap threads like this.

"HOW TO ABUSE THE SYSTEM TO GET FREE STUFF"
The people that are posting in the thread seem legitimate enough, but there are hundreds of others saying nothing and getting free mice for no good reason. This thread should really be deleted. :(

Thank you for this, my THIRD legally bought ms3 just crapped out on me the other day and I was quite pissed off.... I take VERY good care of my mice (not dropped, thrown, bitten, etc) and this is the third one in the past couple years.. I bought a mx510 but I may return it and just do this :) (well I'll do this REGARDLESS but not sure if I'll keep it ;) )

v3rt1g0 said:
I hate crap threads like this.

"HOW TO ABUSE THE SYSTEM TO GET FREE STUFF"
The people that are posting in the thread seem legitimate enough, but there are hundreds of others saying nothing and getting free mice for no good reason. This thread should really be deleted. :(

Awww poor microsoft, not like they never abused anyone, I feel soooo bad for Bill Gates. Slag off troll.

vbrtrmn said:
Awww poor microsoft, not like they never abused anyone, I feel soooo bad for Bill Gates. Slag off troll.

*I'M* the troll because I think you shouldn't rip off a company?
Get a clue, kid.

v3rt1g0 said:
*I'M* the troll because I think you shouldn't rip off a company?
Get a clue, kid.

Well, my mouse actually is broken. The ball is constantly getting caught and it has a double-clicking issue. So don't automatically assume we're all abusing the system. :eek:

Is there anyway to do this without a fax machine? Also, for wireless mice do they just ship you back the mouse or the mouse and the receiver part?

FishHead said:
Well, my mouse actually is broken. The ball is constantly getting caught and it has a double-clicking issue. So don't automatically assume we're all abusing the system. :eek:

Read my first post. Thanks, bye.

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Is there anyway to do this without a fax machine? Also, for wireless mice do they just ship you back the mouse or the mouse and the receiver part?
Call microsoft and ask them.

Wasn't there a bit about this a few years ago on how MS gives every "customer" a free replacement, but only once. They track the productIDs and I suppose link them to the ones they send out. Not exactly sure on the details but I've heard of this before.

Just out of curiosity, how could one go about finding out what version of the IntelliMouse that I Have? I intend on doing this offer, but I'm just curious I suppose....

I once did this with my broken (legit) Bluetooth mouse.
It took a few days of e-mail tag, but they eventually send me a new mouse, packing and all.

Lord of Shadows said:
Its on the bottom of the mouse...

There's no really apparent designation of the version on the bottom of my mouse. Theres a serial with a barcode, the numbers 4701 printed on it and then 2 chineese/japaneese characters and 3902b008

4701 refers to Week 47 of 2001, so I'm going to have to say your mouse is probably off warranty.

I, too, am waiting on a new Bluetooth desktop. I switched over to Logitech's MX after my Bluetooth receiver died, but this may breathe new life into my gaming PC, resurrecting it as an HTPC also. (MX700 mouse + BT keyboard = insane range, AND awesome response/reactivity. The MX keyboard has terrible range.)

Back