• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Free Microsoft Windows Server 2008 / SQL Server 2008 / Visual Studio 2008

there is no detail about the "promo" stuff. is it a legitimate copy that i can upgrade our IT infrastructure to? if so, i'm going =D. i've signed up anyway, but will read more about the details here from people who have already attended. if they can, indeed, utilize free upgrade to w2k8+sql2k8 then hell yeah, my boss would definitely say, GO FOR IT :D. if it works, all we gotta do is buy more CAL's for both w2k8+sql2k8 on top of their 5 included.
When I attended the Office 2003 Launch, I got a fully functional version. At the VS 2k5 + SQL 2k5 Launch event, I got "Standard Edition" of both. SQL came with a certificate for 1 CAL. Both are NFR and I haven't dug up the EULA, but it sounds legit for production.
 
When I attended the Office 2003 Launch, I got a fully functional version. At the VS 2k5 + SQL 2k5 Launch event, I got "Standard Edition" of both. SQL came with a certificate for 1 CAL. Both are NFR and I haven't dug up the EULA, but it sounds legit for production.
I signed up for the O2k3 launch, and didn't go.

Then I got a complete O2k3 Premium setup (incl. OneNote) in the mail, with a ,"sorry we missed you," letter. I sign up for all events now, just in case.
 
boooo!

"PRODUCT GIVEAWAYS
Attendees will receive a product kit including Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (note: these are the RTM bits with a product key and a one-year license for evaluation and testing purposes), Visual Studio 2008 Standard and SQL Server 2008 CTP 5.0. In addition, other great stuff will be distributed."

I just got that in an email, I had already canceled due to medical reasons, but still a kick in the balls. So you only get a 1 year trail of Server '08 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft is getting cheap.
 
I've always gotten limited trial versions from MS events. I don't know why they'd give away a full $$$ product to people who are clearly going to buy it anyway.
 
I don't know why they'd give away a full $$$ product to people who are clearly going to buy it anyway.
The very same reason TechNet gives you full version software. You get a full copy for testing in a lab environment, with the hopes you'll purchase more license that are able to be rolled out to an enterprise.
 
I have lots of friends who have come back from these events with full versions of Vista and Office (no limited 1 year), so excuse me.
 
The summary page clearly mentioned that the confirmation email would be sent within 10 days, so I think it's too early to start freaking out.
And it took about that long for me to receive mine. I registered about a day after I received the invite from Microsoft. I got in for the NY event.
 
The ethics and gifts page might verify the free $299 VS2008 Standard. Plus you can see who's getting the good meals.

Then again, I don't believe the $25 continental breakfast number unless they're doing something different this time. Can't recall Microsoft providing a breakfast here larger than pastries, coffee, and juice. (Not complaining, I like free pastries and juice)
 
Looks like they are going to be in both St. Louis and Kansas City.... wonder if I can get 2 copies.
 
Just a follow up. I went today to the L.A. event. I've seen Steve talk a few times before so nothing new there. Was still fun. Picked up a ton of pens, shirts, flash lights, etc. I guess what everybody wants to know though. The MS bag had 1 copy of Server 2008 1 year Eval copy, full copy of VS 2008, CTP of SQL 08, and a full copy of Vista Ultimate with SP1. The breakout sessions were cool as well.
 
I have had both experiences: they make you wait to the end for a voucher, or what you get is full-featured but time-limited.

I don't bother anymore. I have a reseller I work with that forwards nice genuine freebies to me, like the full version of Office 2007. I haven't had to buy office for years now thanks to them. :cool:

he wouldn't happen to have a copy of media center edition that you wouldn't want? ;)

if it ever happens, pm me!
 
sweet thx OP! Gonna get my dad to go so i can get Windows 2008 :D stupid age limit :(
 
In for NYC tomorrow!!!

me and a buddy are going together.. look for some ~20 year old asshole with a mohawk if you want to hang.
 
well of course I will be very quick to come back with my gifts..

I am actually more interested in going to the show itself than the software..
 
In for NYC tomorrow!!!

me and a buddy are going together.. look for some ~20 year old asshole with a mohawk if you want to hang.
LOL, or a 6'4" brotha that looks like Colin Powell (That's what ladies be sayin'!)

Gotta go visit the site for the start time. Don't forget to print your barcoded email and bring it with you!
 
starts at 8am.. we need to be there at 7:15 0.o


that means my ass is on a train at 6 AM.
 
If it's anything like LA was, be early. We got there 30 mins before the Keynote, and there was an east 2,000 people in line to register already. They finally just started handing out the badge holders to let you in and told you to register after the Keynote. We were so close, we just registered and then went in about 10mins late.
 
well, littleme were there free stuff?

LOL, yes. Here's my post from earlier in the thread. In addition to that is all the crap (pens, paper, mini-flashlights, etc) the vendors give out. Also the free breakfast and lunch.

Just a follow up. I went today to the L.A. event. I've seen Steve talk a few times before so nothing new there. Was still fun. Picked up a ton of pens, shirts, flash lights, etc. I guess what everybody wants to know though. The MS bag had 1 copy of Server 2008 1 year Eval copy, full copy of VS 2008, CTP of SQL 08, and a full copy of Vista Ultimate with SP1. The breakout sessions were cool as well.
 
A few minutes after my post:
Wife - "So what time is the thing you're going to? Your geek convention..."
Me - "It's not a geek convention dammit! *mumbles* It's Microsoft's Heroes Happen Here 2008 Launch Event..."
Wife - "See! Geek!"
Me - "*Feeling a bit pwned* Probably 9 or 10 I think. I don't think it's 8am or anything, they want you there 45minutes early. That's earlier than most folk have to be at work."
Wife - "You better check to make sure"
Me - "Yeah yeah..."
starts at 8am.. we need to be there at 7:15 0.o

that means my ass is on a train at 6 AM.
SUMBITCH!!!! I don't know if I should drive or just take the express bus in. Either way I have to be on the road around 6am as well just to be on the safe side. Hopefully they'll have free breakfast, and wireless access.

Hopefully they don't cheap out and give at least the earlybirds free Vista Ultimate.
 
Hopefully they'll have free breakfast, and wireless access.

Hopefully they don't cheap out and give at least the earlybirds free Vista Ultimate.

Free breakfast - check
Free wifi - check
Free Vista Ultimate for anybody that showed up - check

But that's just based off what I found at the LA event.
 
I'm in for NYC tomorrow! Vista Ultimate would definitely be a bonus. Since it's job related, I even get paid for the day. Who's better than me.
 
I'm in for NYC tomorrow! Vista Ultimate would definitely be a bonus. Since it's job related, I even get paid for the day. Who's better than me.
Nice, the assist director tried to get the day for me but it didn't work out. I get training courses so it's not so bad.

Yeah, Vista would be nice since it's not really mentioned in the event details(wondering if that was done intentionally).
 
are these gatherings .. well .. formal?

is everyone all dressed nice and shit?

I have no problem getting dressed up.. it's just I have this wicked full body penguin outfit.. and well, tux crashing MS's event would just be fucking win on so many levels..

but if I get kicked out I'll be sad. :(


edit: I'm getting paid to be there tomorrow by work too <3
 
are these gathers .. well .. formal?

is everyone all dressed nice and shit?

I have no problem getting dressed up.. it's just I have this wicked full body penguin outfit.. and well, tux crashing MS's event would just be fucking win on so many levels..

but if I get kicked out I'll be sad. :(
Kicked out? Nah, you'll probably get some photo ops out of it. Casual dress should be fine.
 
k I'll stuff the suit in my side bag thinger.. once I get my goodies tux shall roam free!
 
I don't think what you'll be wearing will beat the crazy people at the LA event. They had these people doing some kind of "art" and holding up shade banners. It was guys and chicks in full body spandex outfits that were skin tight. Was a little weird walking between guys with huge socks shoved in their pants. Then again, the chicks without anything on under were pretty hot. (Not wanting to offend anybody, but hey, it's the truth)
 
1 year trial of server 08 enterprise. they said it's only 1 year because if it was beyond that we'd have to pay taxes on it?

shrug

full visual studio, and a code to redeem online for a full copy of sql server 08, as well as full vista ultimate 32/64bit with sp1.

a couple of trial things, and windows mobile developer tools.

the [H] banded together during the keynote and made fun of MS.

a good time was had by all!
 
the only reason my boss would let me go to the event is if they gave us server 2008 free (for realz, not some eval). so i guess i'm not going =*(.
 
Got my free server 2008, VISTA Ultimate, visual studio 2008, etc..

p96825183-4.jpg
 
1 year trial of server 08 enterprise. they said it's only 1 year because if it was beyond that we'd have to pay taxes on it?

shrug
Yeah, that's ghey.

full visual studio, and a code to redeem online for a full copy of sql server 08, as well as full vista ultimate 32/64bit with sp1.

a couple of trial things, and windows mobile developer tools.
Awesomeness right there.

the [H] banded together during the keynote and made fun of MS.
You missed some more of the expected error messages and unexpected behavior. How were the other tracks? I stayed for the entire IT Pro event. Got some useful information, the security bit should sway the director at the firm to skip Server 2003 entirely.
a good time was had by all!
Yeah man!
 
Back
Top