Freakin' wow I love my GTX260...

I just figured out my max with this single GTX 260.
715/1435/1225 - hit the shader wall. But I am so pleased with this card.
Not bad with just a dual-core proc.
3DMark 06 - 17,058
Vantage - P9365

On the Crysis Bench, I went from 16FPS to 24FPS! This is coming from an OC'd 8800GTX! Wow.

Install the PhysX driver from the NVIDIA site and your Vantage score will go up quite a bit...not that it means anything

My 3.1Ghz E6300 can't get me over 13,000 in 3dmark06 :eek:

Thanks for the tip on the PhysX.

So wow, I think these cards need to broken in or something. This thing keeps getting better and better (and it's even hotter in my house than when I last ran the benches.)

I'm now at 725/1450/1250.

3DMark06 - 17,231
Vantage - P12,050
Crysis Bench - 25.505

Bump for this thread! Just got my GTX 260 yesterday. Damn this thing OC's like a beast. Makes me wonder why the stock clocks arent higher.

My build is pretty similar to yours Brahmzy. (Sig doesnt say so but I have a P180B as well).

What are your guys temps hovering around? Precision says 76C for me after about 5 mins of ATi Tool artifact scan. Have not tested much after long gaming, but I assume it would be a few degrees less than that. Using auto fan setting in Precision.

quick gtx 260 question, I just received mines and Im not sure where to plug the HD audio input for the card into, thanks

oh yea, this is the best looking card I ever owned.

Not sure if anyone answered this yet, but I believe it is right next to the two PCIE power plugins. I must say, going from an agp 6800gt to this is something else...

I have a question to everyone else who owns a 260. Does yours list downwards? Mine seems to angle down towards the front of the case; I mean it does weigh a ton, but damn.

I find it hard to believe that you play crysis smoothly at very high 2x aa 1920 x 1200. Hows is that even possible? With my pc, i score around P11600 in vantage and I tried playing crysis at this spec. Even with AA off, I saw my fps drop to the teens and singles on the last boss battle on the ship.

Crysis rapes my pc badly. I would not call teens to mid 20s a smooth experience. Definitely feels jerky when fps is under 30 in crysis.

I find it hard to believe that you play crysis smoothly at very high 2x aa 1920 x 1200. Hows is that even possible? With my pc, i score around P11600 in vantage and I tried playing crysis at this spec. Even with AA off, I saw my fps drop to the teens and singles on the last boss battle on the ship.

Crysis rapes my pc badly. I would not call teens to mid 20s a smooth experience. Definitely feels jerky when fps is under 30 in crysis.

Yeah, I got a little carried away there. I was playing some custom maps which run very, very fast. Since my post, I have played more of the main game and some of the later levels again and had to turn AA off and still have the FPS dropping. Regardless, it's tons better than my OC'd 8800GTX was. I'm really hopingWarhead will run better.

My new 260 will be here later this week, I just stepped up. I bought an 8800GT Akimbo and had it overnighted so that I wouldn't be without a card, hoping to trade that + my motherboard and get a second 260 and an sli motherboard. Glad to hear this card clocks so well!

Now I just have to get to 50 posts so I can post in the for sale threads lol...

How is the noise from the capacitors, do they buzz alot?

What is performance going from a 8800GTX 640 to this card?
10%?
I seriously want to try the new card,but not if the difference is not that huge.

I have a core2duo 2.4

Mine had quite a bit when I first put it in, but then I upgraded from a 500 watt PSU to the Corsair 620 and it doesn't make any noise at all. Don't know if it was just the card needed to break-in or the extra power from the PSU made the difference, but now mine is whisper silent.

What is performance going from a 8800GTX 640 to this card?
10%?
I seriously want to try the new card,but not if the difference is not that huge.

I have a core2duo 2.4

From a 8800GTS 640? I got about a 30% improvement over my 8800GTS 512, so I'd say you get something similar, if not more. You should be able to find plenty of reviews that compare the 8800GTS 512 to the 260.

I saw a 50% improvement in COD4 with my 260 over my 8800GTS

Thats what I want to hear. :D My 8800GTS 512 goes out tomorrow to EVGA for the step-up to the 260. I only play CoD4 multiplayer, so anything to keep those frames up, is beneficial. Looking forward to getting it.

You will get one hell of an improvement going to the 260, just as RussianHAXOR did.
No more stuttering for me, Crysis is smooth as silk. And COD4, R6V2, Bioshock, Assassins' Creed, etc. Oddly enough, even GTASA has had some rough sections I was experiencing with my GX2 and previous 8800GTS taken care of.

The 260/280 series rocks. Or as Brahmzy said: "Freakin' wow:D

How does the 9800GX2 compare to the GTX260 in games that don't work with SLI? What about in games that work with SLI?

I have a 9800GX2 on the way and saw that there are some GTX260s for around the same price.

Yeah, very impressed with mine too, overclocks like crazy and gives a very impressive performance boost over my previous 8800 GTS 512.

I pulled the trigger on two MSI GTX260s today.. could not resist the price/performance quotient. I am pretty curious to see how much better they perform than my 8800GTXs.. should be fun. I hope to get 700c/1200m/1500s out of them.. but we will see. I don't want to count my juvenile poultry until incubation has been completed. ;)

Crysis plays amazingly better - way smoother. I can now play it all VERY HIGH with 2x AA and still have a great experience.
lol, exaggeration of the week detected.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think we all wish our cards could do that.

i have the card@ 715 core, 1460 shader, 1215 mem.
it is very fast. dare i say faster than a 4870 that would have been overclocked with similar effort. ( i mean, it is at about 20 percent higher core than reference vs the 10 percent the average 4870 gives)
and more ram on it too.
ppl are a bit afraid to buy them though, because a stock 4870 does consistently beat a stock gtx 260.
but if you have a gtx 260 with a good core, it basically becomes a faux gtx 280

ppl are a bit afraid to buy them though, because a stock 4870 does consistently beat a stock gtx 260.

It might beat it, but it's not like it's an asskicking or anything - mostly a few percentage points here or there, maybe some better AA, but nothing crazy. The [H] review ended up with the same playable settings for both cards almost always, and maybe just a few FPS different.

I think the early high price scared a lot of people away - if they had debuted at $299 it would be a whole different discussion.

yeah, not even one month ago they were over $400 and now down to the $250 area (with sale + mir). at $250 this is a helluva deal on a pretty kick ass card.. these cores with 192 shaders seem to oc really nicely.. which is a big plus also.

Can anyone tell me how much longer is this card compared to a 8800GT? Need to see if it's gonna fit into my Thermaltake Tsunami case.

Not sure how long the 8800GT is, but this card is 10.5" long.

The 8800GT is 9" long, but the 6-pin PCI-E connector plugs into the very end of the card. The GTX 260/280 are 10.5" long, but the PCI-E connectors attach to the top of the card, not the back edge.

Edit: Back when the 8800GTX (same length as the 9800GX2 and GTX 200 series) launched, there were several threads on the Internet regarding cases that would and would not fit the card. Although the Tsunami was originally listed by many as unable to fit the card, several independent users posted pictures of an 8800GTX fitting (barely) in their cases.

For what it's worth, those threads list my case (Raidmax Sagitta) as unable to fit the card. Not true. I have two GTX 280s in my case.

Mine did at first.. but they are not as noisy now... I was a little worried at first though.. it was very noticeable.

so far so good.. my cards seem to be happy at 700/1450/1200

I just got a EVGA gtx260 and although I'm only running 1440x900 I oc'd it just to see how high it would go. Got it to 713c/1512s/1107m and it doesn't get over 62c on load. Lovin' it. With the new physx drivers out I left my old 8800gts640 (700c/1600s/1000m) in and selected it for the physx work.

I just got a EVGA gtx260 and although I'm only running 1440x900 I oc'd it just to see how high it would go. Got it to 713c/1512s/1107m and it doesn't get over 62c on load. Lovin' it. With the new physx drivers out I left my old 8800gts640 (700c/1600s/1000m) in and selected it for the physx work.

Wow, is the core and shader linked or unlinked? That is a killer shader OC - mine won't budge much over 1450. I'm very surprised your memory OC isn't higher... have you tried 1200 or 1250? Also, abuse the card while OC'd and try again in a week, mine almost needed to be "broken in" I was able to OC much further as time went on, even in hotter ambient temps, FWIW.

Wow, is the core and shader linked or unlinked? That is a killer shader OC - mine won't budge much over 1450. I'm very surprised your memory OC isn't higher... have you tried 1200 or 1250? Also, abuse the card while OC'd and try again in a week, mine almost needed to be "broken in" I was able to OC much further as time went on, even in hotter ambient temps, FWIW.

Yeah, they're linked. I've gotten the shader to around 1550 unlinked but I really haven't tried to push this card to it's limits yet. I tried mem at 1150 and got artifacting. Might need a voltmod for the mem if I want to push it :p

I may try them a little higher this afternoon as long as work isn't too bad. I bounce between GRAW2, Mass Effect, GRID, and Flatout 2 Ultimate Carnage right now. When I've tested the clocks I usually play a good bit in all of them as some games will artifact when others won't from my past experience.

hrm... interesting...I'm really likin' this card ;) Just finished 6 races in Flatout 2 UC @ the settings of 734c/1566s/1215m, Fan @ 70%, temps never went above 63c. Going to try some GRID and GRAW2 next.

so far so good with these gtx260s... All the spots in games that used to shutter a bit are now glassy smooth.. just playing with 3dm06 a little, only canyon flight scored a lot better at the default res, but when I bumped the res to 1920x1080 the performance improvements were a lot more noticeable... getting 17k @ 1920x1080. I think I need to OC my cpu more now.. I think my system is a little limited there.. hopefully I can pop 4ghz on this 6850. I am at 3.6 now on default vcore.

messed around for a while last night and it looks like my max clocks are 702c/1512s/1188m. Not bad...I'll take it :p

Back