Freakin' wow I love my GTX260...

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just got it yesterday (vanilla eVGA) to replace my OC'd 8800GTX. I managed 700/1425/1175 right off the bat, fully stable with it-absolutely no artifacting. I cannot believe how much faster this card is at @ 1920x1200. I mean, it is night and day over my 8800GTX. All of my games I could previously induce some lag with (all of the F.E.A.R. titles) I could get to slow down and I can't AT ALL now. Crysis plays amazingly better - way smoother. I can now play it all VERY HIGH with 2x AA and still have a great experience.

VERY, VERY satisfied. Also, I've got 88 days left to step up to whatever's next! Very pleased indeed.

Very worthwhile CHEAP upgrade for all you 8800GTX guys out there! Not bad for $269 and the price will continue to drop! :)

UPDATE:
I just figured out my max with this single GTX 260.
715/1435/1225 - hit the shader wall. But I am so pleased with this card.
Not bad with just a dual-core proc.
3DMark 06 - 17,058
Vantage - P9365

On the Crysis Bench, I went from 16FPS to 24FPS! This is coming from an OC'd 8800GTX! Wow.

UPDATE 2:

Getting better...
725/1450/1250
3DMark06 - 17,231
Vantage - 12,050 (PhysX driver installed)
Crysis now 25.505 Avg. FPS

Yeah, everyone sings the praises of the 4870, but this card is easy to overclock and overall is very similar to a 4870 and its going for a tad less than the 4870.

In a way, nVidia's initial pricing made the 4870 more popular than they should have been. Had the GTX 280 launched at $400 and the GTX 260 at $300, the 4800 launch would have been far less potent than it was. Bad nVidia.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the card!:D

I just sent in my 9800GTX for a GTX 260. Should come in about a week. I cant wait! Was a steal for $37.

I love my gtx 260 EVGA FTW. Granted, it was a huge upgrade over my 8600gts. It runs very cool unless I overclock it very high (I posted in another thread, I had it at 750/?/?, I can't remember the exact clocks but it was very high). Even at super high clocks it is still stable, just that the temps climb. For the prices of the 260 right now I really think it is better than the 4870: it runs cooler, overclocks better and uses A LOT less power when in idle.

Yeah it definitely is a solid card. Just when it was initially priced at 400.. not so much. Now being 250~ though, that's a great price/performance ratio that even the 4870 rivals with. Good times though for buying a GPU unlike this time around last year ;)

The vanilla EVGA is 299 on Newegg and other places. It also has a $30 MIR.

So I just got it yesterday (vanilla eVGA) to replace my OC'd 8800GTX. I managed 700/1425/1175 right off the bat, fully stable with it-absolutely no artifacting. ...

Very worthwhile CHEAP upgrade for all you 8800GTX guys out there! Not bad for $269 and the price will continue to drop! :)

Kool, thanks for your feedback. I love happy endings :)

I game at 2560x1600 and above, so I'll hang on and wait for the 4870x2 to see what it does.

When it does, I will then look at all these awasome cards and make a decision.

I love my GTX 260. I stepped up from a 9800GTX and it's been a huge improvement for me.

I'm just not that convinced that it would be a good enough upgrade for me. :( Maybe the 280. Maybe.

I'll be moving from an OC'd Palit 9600GT Sonic to this...the 9600 has treated me great really, it replaced an OC'd x1950xtx (went in my G/F's rig)...and now the XTX is going south so she get's the GT I am getting a GTX260, EVGA vanilla..it was 299 shipped, I'm not a fan of MIR's, but I still fell it will do all I need and then some, plus it'll be a good reason to update from my 19" Acer widescreen LCD so I can enjoy resolutions higher than 1440x900!

Looks like a promising card for sure! Plus I love to OC, so it seems I chose the right card for my needs, at least in the current recently released lineup. I know if I wanted bang-for-buck I could've got an HD4850 or 9800GTX...but I wanted more dammit! :D

I got my GTX 260 and i too am very happy, especially since it cost me 80 bucks to stepup.

how loud are these while gaming? I want something no louder or preferably quieter than my 8800GTS 640.

My brother just got a 9800GTX for $200...is that a mistake?

he should have waited for the 9800gtx+ that comes out this week for the same price, maybe even cheaper or he should have gotten the 4850 which you can find for around $180 (cheaper AR).

Can he return it?

Edit: Not saying its a bad card, its actually a great card but you can get a better card for the same price or less.

how loud are these while gaming? I want something no louder or preferably quieter than my 8800GTS 640.

All I know is it's a little louder than my 8800GTX. I think the fan is a tiny bit smaller, so the noise is a little bit higher pitched. Also, the fan runs at 40% always while idling whereas the 8800GTX's ran lower. Not bad. Definitely the loudest thing in my silent case though.

So the 260 is really loud? The 9800GTX I thought was loud..

I am also extremely happy with my 260. I'm finally playing through Crysis for the first time since I have never been satisfied with the game's performance on past cards.

Madshrimps's mod, Level 5 settings, 1920x1080, DX10. It runs very playably. I'm really happy. Assassin's Creed runs very well. TF2 was already fast enough with a 9600GT, now it's just overkill. I think I'm going to want to go back and try Oblivion again with all my preferred mods. I had trouble with it on an 8800GTS since my mods were totaling over 800MB of video RAM. Now I have enough.

It looks like the next thing I need to get all the performance out of the GTX260 is a Intel Q9550.

I am also extremely happy with my 260. I'm finally playing through Crysis for the first time since I have never been satisfied with the game's performance on past cards.

Madshrimps's mod, Level 5 settings, 1920x1080, DX10. It runs very playably. I'm really happy. Assassin's Creed runs very well. TF2 was already fast enough with a 9600GT, now it's just overkill. I think I'm going to want to go back and try Oblivion again with all my preferred mods. I had trouble with it on an 8800GTS since my mods were totaling over 800MB of video RAM. Now I have enough.

It looks like the next thing I need to get all the performance out of the GTX260 is a Intel Q9550.

Yeah, you really aren't getting the whole benefit of that card. I still have an Athlon X2 4800+ plus system based on a A8N32-SLI mobo. That sucker was even holding back my 8800 Ultra. Went to a Q6600 last summer, wow what a difference in most newer games, even at 1920x1200.

I won't be getting the full benefit if mine either, I'll be limited to a 19" LCD @ 1440x900 for a little while...I've conteplated swapping for my G/F's Viewsonic Graphic's Series G810 21" CRT...it's a monster though, and I have a smaller desk...but it gives me a good reason to go for a larger LCD! And I suppose cranking up the AA won't be as rough as on the 9600GT in some games! :D

Dumb question maybe, but do these take 2 6pin PCIE connectors, or are they the 8 pin ones...?

I just figured out my max with this single GTX 260.
715/1435/1225 - hit the shader wall. But I am so pleased with this card.
Not bad with just a dual-core proc.
3DMark 06 - 17,058
Vantage - P9365

On the Crysis Bench, I went from 16FPS to 24FPS! This is coming from an OC'd 8800GTX! Wow.

quick gtx 260 question, I just received mines and Im not sure where to plug the HD audio input for the card into, thanks

oh yea, this is the best looking card I ever owned.

I think im going to get the 260 over the 4870

Most of the reviews ive seen, people have been overclocking the shit out of it..and its beating a stock 280....and the 4870 overclocked doesnt beat the 280 overclocked

Cant wait for a good cooling solution to come out for this!

Anyone else have a lot of capacitor whine on their 260? I just got an EVGA (vanilla model) and the whine is the worst I've ever heard. I'm wondering if I have a card problem or if I am running into the limit on my 500 watt power supply.

Anyone else have a lot of capacitor whine on their 260? I just got an EVGA (vanilla model) and the whine is the worst I've ever heard. I'm wondering if I have a card problem or if I am running into the limit on my 500 watt power supply.

I had that problem with a single 280 powered by a Cooler Master 750W. From what I've read, it could be the video card, motherboard, or PSU. I wanted to rule out the PSU, so I switched to a Corsair 1000W. It stopped the whining and I haven't had any issues since then with either one or even two GTX 280s.

Mine whines whenever it transitions to heavy 3D load such as 3DMark06. It's not constant though. I have an MSI model in my sig.

I also have the vanilla 260 and i dont have this problem, played crysis for about a hour without any whine.

Zipzoomfly still has the eVGA FTW edition for $329/$299 with MIR

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008835

This is what I have, plus I got it with free shipping, so 329 shipped. Am going to send in MIR soon.

I decided on the 260 because performance was similar to the 4870 in most games, better in some, worse in others. But the EVGA FTW edition has a large overclock that is guaranteed to run which puts it on top in most cases.

Also, vendor support. NVIDIA/ATI vendors aren't even comparable. If NVIDIA release a die-shrunken GT200 in the next 85 days I will jump on EVGA's step up if it warrants such.

Other smaller reasons: Fan noise. I have put custom heatsinks on my last 3 video cards, but none of them have cost $329. Heat. The 48x0 cards in the original batch do not clock down in idle, and a driver cannot fix it, it requires a BIOS flash that I don't want to do on my hardware. Right now my 260 is inaudible and idling at 46C.

Back