Fractal Design Define R6

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by HAF72, Dec 20, 2017.

1. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

Ill be waiting too lol......it just looks so much more maintenance friendly than my 900...dressing up cables be like 1000 times easier after swapping failed hardware and looks way easier to keep clean...And besides i would need a new case when i build new again anyway!:) Even if that is a little ways off

2. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

You're fortunate you don't have a massive build waiting like me. It's painful to just look at all the new (expensive as hell, 2tb 960 pro for instance)... Just sitting there.

Oh and I'm on the other side of the US so it will take a full week to get here once they ship it.

3. Sky15

Sky15 2[H]4U

Same here, I have like 2k worth of parts sitting on my shelf.

4. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

Just run the parts off a cardboard box...

5. Sky15

Sky15 2[H]4U

I don't really care, I'll just wait until I find a case I want. No hurry here.

6. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

The specs state that there are two types of layouts for the top radiator: standard and open. I wonder what they mean by those terms?

As well, the spacing for mounting holes is important. Sure, 120mm/140mm fans have holes that far apart. But how far apart are the sets of holes from one another? Is fan number 2 10mm away from fan 1? There are differing standards in use. (NZXT and Corsair use different spacings for fans on their radiators, for example.)

7. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

standard = sealed cover on the top, open = that plastic grate shit(can't think of what else to call it).. the case should come with both covers. as far as the fan mounts they're cut slits so that the rad can slide back and forth and also allows it to support multiple different manufactures.

here's the newegg link, it has all the pictures you'll ever want.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352078

8. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

When I get mine I can post a picture with the top radiator mount insert panel... With a ruler next to it.

Unfortunately I have no idea when the heck it will ship.

I emailed Fractal to see if they had any thoughts on availability in NA. No response back yet. If this is important to you - you may want to email them as well to see when stock will hit the US.

9. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks. I went to the Fractal page. Newegg has a lot more pix. I see the slots: there's still a distance between slots (fan 1 slot, solid zone, fan 2 slot, solid zone, fan 3 slot) which may or may not be too large. I'd love to see a spec'ed drawing with the dimensions in mm.

I've got two Fractal XLs. Awesomely good cases. This case is on my short list for my next build. The Define XL has a different radiator support: just holes for the fans. The NZXT radiator fits, the Corsair radiator does not. Rather, the fan spacing fits for NZXT and not Corsair.

That's be cool. I'd like to see all the top mount holes/slots/solid areas with mm's.

Thanks!!

10. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah i'm not a fan of that design either,if they had just gone with slightly thicker steel for the top they could of left it wide open without the slots in between the mounting slides. the biggest worry i see depends on your motherboard and how big the heatsinks are on the VRM's which is what i ran into with my phantek enthroo pro.. so if you converted how mine is setup to the mounting on the R6 there would be 2 fan screws in section 2(back of case toward front) 4 in section 3 and 2 in section 4 partially inside the HDD cage area. otherwise you'd have to put 2 in section 1 4 in section 2 and 2 in section 3. i doubt you'll really run into any huge issues mounting what ever rad you have, it'll just be a bit of finagling to make sure it doesn't interfere with anything else. i do like that the mounts off set to pull the rad further away from the motherboard.

11. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

Still no ETA on the White TG SKU.

Thinking about alternatives. Just running the system off a cardboard box ATM.

12. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

I'm guessing white is going to be a while. They can't even get the highest demand models (TG and black) into NA in a reasonable time.

While they've been available in Europe, and to review sites... For a while.

13. Viper22

Viper22 Limp Gawd

dexvx likes this.
  14. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

Yes I noticed that earlier.

We all know how accurate their pre-order ship dates are at this point though.

I'd say I'm hopeful that it means mine will ship before then, but those dates could all be fiction.

15. Sky15

Sky15 2[H]4U

16. d.v.

d.v. [H]Lite

i'm gonna wait until i can see it in person or one of my buddies get one. the video makes it looks really nice but we'll see.

17. stashix

stashix Limp Gawd

I'm quite happy with it, replaced my R4.
    The shroud should be removable though IMO, it's somewhat annoying to work with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

Just curious, is $129/$149 the supposed MSRP for the R6/R6-TG?

19. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

Fractal's NA twitter suggests Newegg really will have them early next week.

Which means I will probably get mine the week after. Eh, only days to get my machine up and running before my 30 day return window on the other equipment will expire.

Regardless I am happy the end is in sight. Apparently for all colors?

20. bennieboy2290

bennieboy2290 [H]Lite

Yikes, now Newegg is saying the non-regular black R6s won't be available til March... FML

21. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

The blackout and gunmetal... Oh and white too.

I probably would have picked up the gunmetal if it was available at the same time, but right now I'm just glad I (hopefully) made it on the first pre-order batch for the solid black. (Which seems to be in less demand than the TG)

I believe Newegg has over 200 on order for the standard black (non-TG).

22. Phixzet

Phixzet Limp Gawd

Shroud?

23. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

:(

6 weeks of cardboard box fun.