FPS Toxicity

Horiscopes

n00b
Hey guys,
I just was wondering how you guys felt about the toxicity which has rather quickly invaded the FPSes many of us enjoy. I personally feel that this stuff's a double-edged sword, because it's fun sometimes, but on the other hand it can completely ruin videogames. I know that a lot of people feel that toxicity ruins a game, but I think it can add a certain character to a game that is simply unmatched without unique behaviors.

It is not just FPS. All types online games these days have a toxic community. It is getting worse and worse. I don't feel like it adds "character" to a game. It is one of the main reasons I don't play many online games nowadays. I don't need some punk teenager screaming in my headset over and over.

The level of toxicity in online games already went beyond redemption many years ago (way back when Pokemon and Kung Fu Pandas were released in WoW, AKA Mists of Pandaria).

I now reserve online play to 3 games, RuneScape, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile, only because 2 of those games are played more or less solo and the last one it's ideal to play as 'solo' because of 'efficiency'.

Otherwise, as soon as I see "online", I generally remove myself from consideration because the SP campaign is bound to be far too short for $60.

Even Switch and 3DS hasn't convinced me at all to go back and try.

It is not just FPS. All types online games these days have a toxic community. It is getting worse and worse. I don't feel like it adds "character" to a game. It is one of the main reasons I don't play many online games nowadays. I don't need some punk teenager screaming in my headset over and over.
lol I feel you, I just got out of a ranked match in Rainbow Six Siege and I couldn't even hear myself think, still carried though.

The level of toxicity in online games already went beyond redemption many years ago (way back when Pokemon and Kung Fu Pandas were released in WoW, AKA Mists of Pandaria).

I now reserve online play to 3 games, RuneScape, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile, only because 2 of those games are played more or less solo and the last one it's ideal to play as 'solo' because of 'efficiency'.

Otherwise, as soon as I see "online", I generally remove myself from consideration because the SP campaign is bound to be far too short for $60.

Even Switch and 3DS hasn't convinced me at all to go back and try.
I've never really been into Nintendo stuff.
Also I definitely feel you on the stupidly short campaigns that are so common in games, especially FPS games, nowadays. Also if you ever want to play PoE add me on steam @ Horiscopes.

Quickly? This stuff has been around since the beginning. It's only more noticeable since voice chat is integrated into basically every game now, and is becoming more and more required for most of them.

Quickly? This stuff has been around since the beginning. It's only more noticeable since voice chat is integrated into basically every game now, and is becoming more and more required for most of them.
Never thought about it like that!

Toxicity in gaming is laughable. I understand that there are few cases that go over a line. Someone telling me they fucked my mother over and over doesnt bother me. Never once has anyone online to me that "ruins" my experience. I'm also realistic and believe in the "get good" mentality. If someone is sucking I usually kick over into a instructor position. The only time I've seen demoralization happen in really in MMOS when a tank or healer either sucks, or is new (you can be playing a game for years and still suck balls). I play these games and enjoy them the best I can for all people involved.

Except destiny 2 crucible. I fucking rage in that game, like throw my hat across the room and get up and walk away at the end of a game that I play like shit in. Never once is this portrayed over a mic to teammates though. I'm never angry at my team, always what I could have done better. I'm seriously competitive and something about Destiny 2 (love the game) makes me need a prescription to xanax before starting it up. I have a feeling this same kind of rage will consume my ever fiber. Satsui no Hado (surge of murderous power) is real when getting destroyed in fighting games lolol

Toxicity in gaming is laughable. I understand that there are few cases that go over a line. Someone telling me they fucked my mother over and over doesnt bother me. Never once has anyone online to me that "ruins" my experience. I'm also realistic and believe in the "get good" mentality. If someone is sucking I usually kick over into a instructor position. The only time I've seen demoralization happen in really in MMOS when a tank or healer either sucks, or is new (you can be playing a game for years and still suck balls). I play these games and enjoy them the best I can for all people involved.

Except destiny 2 crucible. I fucking rage in that game, like throw my hat across the room and get up and walk away at the end of a game that I play like shit in. Never once is this portrayed over a mic to teammates though. I'm never angry at my team, always what I could have done better. I'm seriously competitive and something about Destiny 2 (love the game) makes me need a prescription to xanax before starting it up. I have a feeling this same kind of rage will consume my ever fiber. Satsui no Hado (surge of murderous power) is real when getting destroyed in fighting games lolol

I'm in the same boat as you. usually more annoyed with myself more than the other person/people. I also don't mind the trash talk but only when it's warranted. If we're going 1-on-1 and you kill me then go right ahead. If it's purely accidental then I don't want to hear it unless it's a super lucky shot and you're equally as shocked as i am. If you're just spewing trash 24/7 because "LOL I'm on the internet and people are annoyed when I'm being annoying" then ya get muted.

This is common across pretty much all online games. I play a lot of Dota 2 and the toxicity is awful.

You should try fighting games. I've gotten everything from hack attempts to death threats in Street Fighter. That doesn't even include the arcade era where fights were known to break out over "being cheap."
Capcom opted not to even include voice chat for Street Fighter 5 thanks to all of the BS from the last two.
IMO, when games are seriously competitive they can bring out the worst in people.

I have zero patience for assholes in online games. I do my best to avoid playing with randoms in game with a lot of voice chat. I play games to have fun, not have some little douchebag screaming in my ear for an entire match. I don't care what excuses or justifications people use, I have no interest in dealing with that and I do not find it fun. If I'm not having fun then I have no interest in playing the game. If I'm playing an online game I'd rather do it with people I know well enough to know they're not going to be douchebags and will just have a good time regardless of whether we win or lose.

I have zero patience for assholes in online games. I do my best to avoid playing with randoms in game with a lot of voice chat. I play games to have fun, not have some little douchebag screaming in my ear for an entire match. I don't care what excuses or justifications people use, I have no interest in dealing with that and I do not find it fun. If I'm not having fun then I have no interest in playing the game. If I'm playing an online game I'd rather do it with people I know well enough to know they're not going to be douchebags and will just have a good time regardless of whether we win or lose.
Mute them or Team kill them XD. I enjoy the shit talking. Just be better at it. Dont be offensive or aggressive. Do shit to piss them off and make them make dumb shit like in Pubg proximity chat. It does get annoying when people bitch about how your team sucks and they usually are the ones being bad. For example in WoW during arathi basin They start shouting how we all suck yet they are on the bottem of the charts fighting inbetween nodes...
Only FPS i really play are Pubg and R6:S and I only play with a group of people I know or they are mostly muted.

You should try fighting games. I've gotten everything from hack attempts to death threats in Street Fighter. That doesn't even include the arcade era where fights were known to break out over "being cheap."
Capcom opted not to even include voice chat for Street Fighter 5 thanks to all of the BS from the last two.
IMO, when games are seriously competitive they can bring out the worst in people.
In dragonball fighterz, I found you can just win online matches by spamming basic ki blasts. While this is "being cheap" its basics 101. Also everyone just does that dash at you and you press down+heavy and its a direct counter and you lay a combo on them. Im going to have a lot of fun with DB:Fz

In dragonball fighterz, I found you can just win online matches by spamming basic ki blasts. While this is "being cheap" its basics 101. Also everyone just does that dash at you and you press down+heavy and its a direct counter and you lay a combo on them. Im going to have a lot of fun with DB:Fz

I still need to dedicate some time to that one. It coincided with SF5 Arcade Edition, so I probably won't touch it for a little while.

With most games I fully admit that I like to taunt and play frustrating characters in a way that gets under peoples skin. I use taunts or mimic player tendencies at every turn. I grab so much that people act like I’m using an exploit. I think that’s where my problem lies. People seem to think that’s somehow “unfair.” It’s like cheap and cheat have blurred lines for people. I just use it as psychological warfare.

Personally, I full-on despise when players do nothing but retreat or use zone-out moves to avoid conflict the whole match. I can’t stand it and hate when people do it. Yet it’s part of the game and it’s a 100% valid strategy. It’s also a brilliant tactic to get under my skin, too. I hate it, but I love it at the same time. I wish more people would get that. It’s one thing if someone is using some kind of glitch (like the old MK endless hop punch or the invisible throw in Street Fighter), but if someone is just putting in work and I can't stop it, good for them. Rub my nose in it if you can!

What seperates the good players from the great players is the ability to adapt. If something gets under my skin. I clearly need to work on how to turn it against someone. Im loving my mayflash f500 and its been here for a day. My boss was like are you playing street fighter...? with a fight stick? on the clock? He told me to go work in his office while he gamed on mine lolol

I used to play a ton of Action Quake 2, Rainbow Six, Counter-Strike, etc. online. I don't recall the attitude being nearly as bad back then. I'm sure it was there, but nothing like today where you have 12 year olds screaming into the mic constantly. Then again, back then we probably didn't use much voice communication, so maybe that's part of it.

I've more or less stopped playing MP shooters in recent years. No desire to deal with annoying children. I will still play on occasion with friends, but that is pretty rare. I prefer SP games or games like Monster Hunter for online co-op.

I did do some pubbing in Pavlov VR and Onward not too long ago, it was pretty decent. I think the general maturity level is higher in those games for whatever reason. Seemed to be mostly guys in their 20s or 30s from the sound of it.

I agree, it could be pretty rough back in the original counter-strike days, since it was one of the few games that had VOIP built in.

I believe we are dealing with consequences of bad parenting. "Back in my time" it wasn't an irritating annoyance like it is today.

I believe we are dealing with consequences of bad parenting. "Back in my time" it wasn't an irritating annoyance like it is today.
"Back in your day" the online community was probably much smaller.

About the only online game I ever play online is GTA Online and I just do the stunt races. I tried running around in the Online world there and got blown up by some assholes who were camping on a building with rocket launchers. I don't have time for that nonsense. The stunt races are generally fine. I had one pimply kid who wouldn't shut up during a race, but they're easily muted.

It was smaller but still huge and our clans had people from 13 to 63. They were just better mannered and more mature, on average

Mute them or Team kill them XD. I enjoy the shit talking. Just be better at it. Dont be offensive or aggressive. Do shit to piss them off and make them make dumb shit like in Pubg proximity chat. It does get annoying when people bitch about how your team sucks and they usually are the ones being bad. For example in WoW during arathi basin They start shouting how we all suck yet they are on the bottem of the charts fighting inbetween nodes...
Only FPS i really play are Pubg and R6:S and I only play with a group of people I know or they are mostly muted.

Alternatively, I can continue to do what I already do and not have to deal with any of the BS.

We have to define toxicity, though. I don't mind normal banter. Excessive screaming by deranged teenagers is another story.

It's a combination of both. Smaller community made it easier to spot the problems and do something about it. Both verbal garbage spewers and gameplay griefers. While at the same time almost all my friends wouldn't swear or be vulgar around their parents but now some of the same friends have kids who will swear back at them.

The ignore function is the most underutilized tool in modern gaming....

You still have to listen to their crap before making the decision that the person requires muting.

That may not get under some people's skin, but the fact that I heard it at all is enough to ruin my day.

Back in my day we shit talked and it was part of the game. Nowadays the kiddies run to the report button and cry/scream.

Back in my day servers were private run with local admins, who would ban griefers affecting the actual gameplay. Nowadays the kiddies fuck off all match with no repercussions.

I agree, it could be pretty rough back in the original counter-strike days, since it was one of the few games that had VOIP built in.
It could be rough, but back when we were able to run our own servers and admins had power the really annoying ones got gimped. I blame the move to "matchmaking" and a lack of community owned and administered servers for the increased numbers of 12 year olds telling me what they did with my mom last night. Sure there were bad admins, but those servers lost players as a result. It also made it a hell of a lot easier to deal with cheaters. I'm pretty sure there were just as many cheaters in CS1.6 as there are in PUBG or COD, but decent servers could remove them pretty quick.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
while (1) { Hey can I have your health pack? Hey heal me. Hey I need your health kit. Hey help me please. Hey! } // squeaker

This is why Arcades will always be better than online gaming. Back then, if the guy next to you started to talk shit, you'd settle it in the parking lot with a sack of doorknobs & a crowbar. After you finished the game of course. Always after.

Back in my day that dude you were talking smack to was right next to you at the arcade. Proceed at your own risk.
I don't know if I should feel threatened or reassured. LOL i wouldnt mind getting a sparring match in after a day at the arcade.

This is why Arcades will always be better than online gaming. Back then, if the guy next to you started to talk shit, you'd settle it in the parking lot with a sack of doorknobs & a crowbar. After you finished the game of course. Always after.
That's why doorknobs are considered a lethal weapon now...

Back in my day we shit talked and it was part of the game. Nowadays the kiddies run to the report button and cry/scream.

Back in my day servers were private run with local admins, who would ban griefers affecting the actual gameplay. Nowadays the kiddies fuck off all match with no repercussions.

This. Developers have all but eliminated dedicated servers these days in favor of shitty matchmaking, and that means less and less control for the players. I was able to play TF2 for years because the servers I frequented allowed shit talk and encouraged teamplay, but didn't allow mic spam, racism, bigotry, griefing, etc. Every now and again I'd find myself playing on an "official" Valve server or that of another community and I'd very quickly remember what it was like to play with the unwashed masses and without a decent admin around.

Also, there are quite a few high-profile small-team games these days, and the smaller the team the bigger the impact each player tends to have - and that includes trolling. Games like Overwatch or Dota can turn sour pretty quickly when 1 or more teammates start raging or trolling, and "just mute them" is nice advice, but there's always one or two people who decide to respond and that effectively sabotages the entire team. If 1 of 12 players in TF2 sucks, or 1 of 64 in Battlefield decides to screw around it's not the end of the world; if 1 of 6 decides to troll the team in OW the game is basically over.

I don't play "group" type online games. Say for example PUBG or Tarkov, it's me alone versus the world. I have a microphone but I don't know why. Cheater are what usually ruins online games for me though.

This. Developers have all but eliminated dedicated servers these days in favor of shitty matchmaking, and that means less and less control for the players. I was able to play TF2 for years because the servers I frequented allowed shit talk and encouraged teamplay, but didn't allow mic spam, racism, bigotry, griefing, etc. Every now and again I'd find myself playing on an "official" Valve server or that of another community and I'd very quickly remember what it was like to play with the unwashed masses and without a decent admin around.

Also, there are quite a few high-profile small-team games these days, and the smaller the team the bigger the impact each player tends to have - and that includes trolling. Games like Overwatch or Dota can turn sour pretty quickly when 1 or more teammates start raging or trolling, and "just mute them" is nice advice, but there's always one or two people who decide to respond and that effectively sabotages the entire team. If 1 of 12 players in TF2 sucks, or 1 of 64 in Battlefield decides to screw around it's not the end of the world; if 1 of 6 decides to troll the team in OW the game is basically over.

The only MP games I play have dedicated servers, a proper server browser, and are larger in scale (16+ per team). Exceptions are games that work well with small amounts of players, such as Homeworld 2 which I haven't played in years. I do play co-op in some games such as DCS (flight sim) but that is very, very rare for me. I don't do co-op only games in general, it has been years since I could regularly find someone to play with. Anything that requires mics is a massive turn off because I can't stand listening to people on a mic.

Seeing that proper MP games are dying and SP games are quickly falling out of favor I can see myself playing less games in the future.

Back