Forspoken

I almost forgot to mention this... the protagonist "Frey" is constantly makes cringe worthy comments while talking to her magic bracelet "cuff". It's nonstop and repetitive. That alone will alienate a portion of the audience.

I hate games that do this...even in the trailers for the game she wouldn't shut up...one of the main reasons I didn't buy that Biomutant game...constant voiceover narrations are annoying

I just played the PS5 demo of this game and I have mixed feelings. The magic effects and movement abilities do look pretty good but the graphics overall are mediocre. The game is not using any advanced lighting or shading techniques. The controls are also disappointing. They're very loose and floaty. The demo limits you to a small open world area but it does give you enough time to get an idea on what to expect from this game and quite honestly I'd hold off paying full price.

I'm going to try this out just saw a commercial. I'm going to give this Demo a good chance before I write it off about half way downloaded.

Last edited:
Gameplay just looks like "spam magic" until the enemys die. Is there any rhythm or strategy to combat? Just looks like a spectacular mess.

Gameplay just looks like "spam magic" until the enemys die. Is there any rhythm or strategy to combat? Just looks like a spectacular mess.
You have two styles of attack magic, short and long range and each has different elements. You can scan the enemies then switch your attack style based on their weaknesses.

Forspoken Demo_20221214121340.jpg

Access Denied which was the opposite side of tutorial lol

Forspoken Demo_20221214122524.jpg

Big Fried Venison

Forspoken Demo_20221214123116.jpg

Witch Fried Magic

Forspoken Demo_20221214122054.jpg

House of Yahweh

I like it alot it's better than Tomb Raider for me for a Female Protagonist perspective. The Best part about it is the smooth animations you can say it's just Spam Magic but there is so much you can do you can Backflip and Charge them or use a Firesword each different Cloak you find in the Game gives you different Stats I liked it better than the Wo Long Demo I stopped playing didn't want to spoil it too much took some screenshots. It's not all about flying in big vast areas where nobody would give a damn I might play it more not sure when it ends.

I had to change the settings on fly to performance mode Quality and Ray Tracing were out of the question was too jittery for 120hz.

Last edited:
the protagonist "Frey" is constantly making cringe worthy comments while talking to her magic bracelet "cuff". It's nonstop and repetitive. That alone will alienate a portion of the audience.

In this demo she's jumping all around, she's parkouring off a dragon's head, and he's wondering "so she's like spiderman if spiderman worked at Forever 21, white Reeboks, jeans and.. is the cape meant to be ironic or?" and she jumps on his foot "Bullseye!" But the vocal quips maybe just weren't designed for angry middle aged nerds, but teenagers on consoles which is a bigger market anyway.

On a scale from one to seizure-warning, the nonstop strobe-lights and fireworks during combat also seem cranked, like one of those Monster Hunter / japanese ARPG's. I hadn't followed this game, but the overall..incohesion to the thing seems like the developers loaded up an engine sandbox map, clicked a Randomize-All button, and went with that.

Last edited:
this doesn't look great but it doesn't look terrible either...will probably be a middle of the road game...I'm curious if the PC graphics will be a noticeable step up from the consoles...has potential graphically with all the particle effects along with the DirectStorage support

Demo is short I know this game has different environments in the full game.
I'm not sure if I should pick this up everyone doesn't like the 70.00 price tag but if you bought the console version disk you could resell it.
Steam version your stuck with Digital nothing basically too bad the price is so high 49.00 would be alot better.

the best thing about this as of now is the fact that it's the first PC game to receive DirectStorage support...

Wow 3070 to 4080 this game is such a gamble I like the concept but not sure if it's going to be that good I played the Demo which was pretty boring but it's better than Tomb Raider.

Definitely not buying at launch and I liked the PS5 demo. Still @ $70 w/ Denuvo is a no go in my book. I expect it have all sorts of stuttering issues like other denuvo titles at launch, and with specs that high I expect it'll be even worse for people with lower end rigs. When it hits $20 or Denuvo is officially removed I'll consider it again. Doesn't even mention of PS5 DualSense controllers on PC is natively supported. Glad they updated the demo with that lock on problem though, it was annoying when things charged at you then the lock on disappeared even if you quickly got them back in view again.

DirectStorage requires Windows 11 according to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Forspoken/status/1615348915972497408
Interesting is it says DualSense and Dual Shock 4 wireless support. I haven't seen a game that supported the DualSense (or even DS4) wirelessly before. Still DirectStorage requiring Win11 feels like a kick in the nuts. I was sure MS said DirectStorage was going to be in Win10 also (though maybe it isn't there yet).

the video is weird in that it specifically mentions "Samsung SSD support"...they must have some marketing deal with Samsung for the game...no way it only supports Samsung SSD/NVMe...even though I have a Samsung NVMe (and SATA III SSD) it's dumb to put that in the trailer

DirectStorage supports Windows 10...so again it sounds like a marketing thing to only mention Windows 11 in their PC Features specs

is it true that to see the full benefits of DirectStorage, you need a PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 NVMe SSD, as games with DirectStorage are being developed with these kinds of SSD's in mind?...I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe...should I upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 drive?

is it true that to see the full benefits of DirectStorage, you need a PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 NVMe SSD, as games with DirectStorage are being developed with these kinds of SSD's in mind?...I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe...should I upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 drive?
The technology benefits even platter drives.

970 Evo should basically max out PCIe 3.0 potential-----meaning it will probably be fine for most games. I wouldn't expect any PC game to demand a PCIe 4.0 drive, for quite some time. But....we'll see!

PS5 requires 5500 MB/s 4.0 for its NVMe drive.
But DirectStorage on PC works different, I guess. 1.1 just came out which literally doubles bandwidth with GPU compression... 3.0 drives are hitting 12-15 MB/s and 4.0 are 20+.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/directstorage-performance-amd-intel-nvidia

We might just be talking about 0.5 vs 0.6 second load screens, you know?
You can run the avocado benchmark to test your system's speed:

PS5 requires 5500 MB/s 4.0 for its NVMe drive.
But DirectStorage on PC works different, I guess. 1.1 just came out which literally doubles bandwidth with GPU compression... 3.0 drives are hitting 12-15 MB/s and 4.0 are 20+.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/directstorage-performance-amd-intel-nvidia

We might just be talking about 0.5 vs 0.6 second load screens, you know?
You can run the avocado benchmark to test your systems speed:

PS5's '5500' isn't a hard requirement. Its just the minimum spec Sony built the PS5 around. You can put slower PCIe 4.0 drives in, and they work. But, the point is they may not be performant enough for a PS5 game...because the internal drive is rated for 5500. And that is the minimum speed Developers make their games against.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5

Realistically, it will probably be some time, before we see a game need all of that speed. And....maybe never!

Last edited:
What is going to happen on the Steam Forums nobody will is going to be able to run it this thus negative reviews. People have been complaining about the 69.00 price for months I don't blame them. I think it's going to be a decent game but nobody wants to find out.

Last edited:
Direct Storage loads the game from your storage device to the GPU but it bypasses the CPU. I don't know if I need to have Windows 11 on a M.2 or have it on a sata SSD but I can change that if I really need to in the future just have to move some games around.

Last edited:
Direct Storage loads the game from your storage device to the GPU but it bypasses the CPU. I don't know if I need to have Windows 11 on a M.2 or have it on a sata SSD but I can change that if I really need to in the future just have to move some games around.
Depending what you mean, the could be mixing up with the more dataserver affair of GPU able to address the data directly, to save the CPU some work which make sense there, a game will have 8-16 big compressed files maybe to load, virtually no cpu work to handle (saving from it the decompression is step being the big one in that regard).

From my understanding direct storage still use the cpu to handle the SSD To ram, Ram to GPU, etc...

DirectStorage-for-Windows-10-and-11-PC.jpg

How it read the SSD changed a bit (so much that for a while it was the only difference, GPU decompression came later on):

ads-in-just-1-second-on-pc-with-directstorage_full.png

The way the asset end up in vram I think also get accelerated (so in the ideal full stack, it read fast, will decompress faster and be put in the vram faster, sometime already there with GPU decompression)

NVME is at this point just a best experience affair, not needed, I tested on regular HDD-SDD-NVME.

but the article is old.
At the time GPU decompression was not implemented, I will be curious if they updated it to take advantage of it and if it changed much.

It is very well posible that most of the advantage will come from having the data compressed-place and use by the game engine that try to take advantage of giant read speed of big block, datastorage will add an other 10-20% but will get the credits or maybe that GPU decompression it will start to show good gains.

Last edited:
Forspoken will unfortunately only be using DirectStorage 1.0 (not 1.1)...so no GDeflate/GPU decompression

Back