Forecast: Ati will overtake nVidia chipset sales

jebo_4jc said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20051130225721.html

Interesting, IMO. You would think with the huge lead nvidia has in the enthusiast market that this wouldn't be the case. I guess more OEM's are using ATi chipsets to offset that difference.
That's gotta be based more on OEMs than boards we actually care about. I've seen tons of laptops come with ATI chipsets, whereas nVidia hasn't really been pushed very hard in that market.

ATI pushes their integrated graphics harder. So I'm not surprised...after all Intel is the world's #1 graphics solution ;).

kirbyrj said:
ATI pushes their integrated graphics harder. So I'm not surprised...after all Intel is the world's #1 graphics solution ;).
Intel graphics... [barf]... Uh... Cleanup in the motherboard aisle... [barf]

kirbyrj said:
Heh you're right, but I'm missing your point I think. You are saying that ATi gets more of the integrated video market than nvidia, right?
I think this is definitely the case. You see a lot of lower/mid range laptops with Radeon 9000 video and such. Also a lot of HP/Sony desktops with integrated ATi video.

Yeah, when they say that ATI will overtake Nvidia chipset sales, I think this is due to OEM (HP, Compaq, etc) use of the ATI integrated graphics chipsets in their sub-$1000 computers. I worked on one the other day that said "ATI Graphics" even though it was only the Xpress 200 chipset with integrated 9200/X300 or whatever they are using in it nowadays. A pseudo-appeal to the person on a budget who thinks they are going to be able to game on their computer ;).

I don't see a mass swing of the enthusiast market to ATI unless ATI starts stomping in benchmarks and stability, which due to the memory controller ondie, doesn't happen anymore.

I don't think ati will take over nVidia anytime soon or at all in the mobo market...

I have a POS xpress200 in my work machine...and it CRASHES DAILY!!!!...

I never once get a bsod with an nvidia chipset...also the sound cracks..the bsod's on USB and also for no reason....ati = barf in the mobo market...

Shit even my laptop...HP ZV6000 which has a Xpress200 chipset in it fucking crashes daily...has the same slow ass pos usb shit to...and it also bsods FOR NO REASON...

ati needs to get there act toghter and not ship grabage chips out the door...This is one reason and a major one WHY i would never go ati nor recommend ati to anyone...

LOL...I never said it was a GOOD chipset. I just said OEM's like the integrated graphics :).

[RIP]Zeus said:
I don't think ati will take over nVidia anytime soon or at all in the mobo market...

I have a POS xpress200 in my work machine...and it CRASHES DAILY!!!!...

I never once get a bsod with an nvidia chipset...also the sound cracks..the bsod's on USB and also for no reason....ati = barf in the mobo market...

Shit even my laptop...HP ZV6000 which has a Xpress200 chipset in it fucking crashes daily...has the same slow ass pos usb shit to...and it also bsods FOR NO REASON...

ati needs to get there act toghter and not ship grabage chips out the door...This is one reason and a major one WHY i would never go ati nor recommend ati to anyone...
Oh I see. So basically every computer ever made with an ATi chip is destined for constant instability.:rolleyes: LOL.

Well, ATI is still kind of new at the game. The original NForce boards weren't that great either. The NF2 is what promoted Nvidia to the enthusiast chipset world.

jebo_4jc said:
Oh I see. So basically every computer ever made with an ATi chip is destined for constant instability.:rolleyes: LOL.

I would say so...Cause i have 2 differnt machines with the same Xpress200 and they both have the same problem.

Also i had to RETURN 40 machines a month ago for a roll out...All 40 of them machines expericed the same problems...So don't give me that every computer ati made is instable shit...

Plz explain over 40+ machines failing....I can name one thing...Xpres200.

I'd assume that ATI won't always have problems with every chipset (not just the Xpress200) they put out though. At SOME point they have to get their act together and put out a chipset that works or else no one will buy their chipsets. I think that's what he was pointing at ;).

[RIP]Zeus said:
I would say so...Cause i have 2 differnt machines with the same Xpress200 and they both have the same problem.

Also i had to RETURN 40 machines a month ago for a roll out...All 40 of them machines expericed the same problems...So don't give me that every computer ati made is instable shit...

If you had 40 machines experiencing the same issue... I find that fascinating, the law of probability on that is insane.

But bad batches do happen... I'm more inclined to blame other things then the bad chipset straight off the bat... but it is entirely possible.

Were they all the same mainboard? I can easily believe you had 40 machines with ECS or Biostar mainboards that weren't ready for prime time. My wife has a MSI RS480M2 in her machine, runs fine. Built and sold several other Ati chipset boards from MSI with no issues, in fact I think Windows went on much cleaner thanon a typical Nvidia board.

Built hundreds of computers and I've seen far more in the way of bad motherboards and crummy BIOS work than chipsets that make it to market with critical flaws.

I believe in time that ati will put out a great chipset.. Maybe good enought to force nvidia to raise thier eyebrows. Nvidias been on top too long and its time they got shook up and where forced to innovate, or at least fix thier drivers :). We all now that even the hugest lead can be crushed in an instant if the leader stumbles or releases a flawed product... Anyone remeber the 9x00 and the TI series of cards, clearly forced nvidia to develop and innovate; now its ATIs turn to wow us, and thier involvment in the chipset market will only envoke the same type of power struggle where on the enthusiast wins.

I've had the opposite problem. A buddy bought a compaq with xpress200 chipset and it runs flawlessly, I've spent 2 weeks finding a random lockup problem in 2d on my damn nforce4 system (narrowed down to chipset drivers, just kept playing with differnet drivers until it finally works). Now I just have to figure out if it's the ide, usb or some other part of the chipset that was causing the problem. After this, I don't know if my next comp will be an nvidia as I've never had a similar problem, even via and sis products worked well for me...I can stand not being able to run memory timings at their max or even rated speed (as has happened with some other chipsets), but at least the damn things wouldn't randomly lock up on me. Funny thing is that in 3d everything was fine. Another friend is fighting with his nf4 sli setup as it gets about half the cpu performance in 3dmark05 as mine, despite running an x2 4400 vs my x2 3800, and also benches slower in other games despite also having a 7800gt to my x800xt. The motherboard is also the suspect in that case, though it could be the boards in both cases and not the chipset I suppose...

luckily we're not the masses, buying lowest common denominator integrated video.

Let ATI fight with Intel for lowest of the low-end video market, while nvidia just gets further and further ahead in midrange to highend solutions.

These boards where asus boards...i don't know the model off the top of my head..they where HP machines btw.

But they all had the same problem.. You plug in a USB..CRASH..

You play anything that had sound...Crackle...and it was horrible sounding to..

If you got anything usb working..it was slower than transfering large files over token ring.. :D

I did everything from not installing SP2 to installing SP2...every driver update i could find..even trying some back dated drivers...nothing worked..

And this is not just on these HP machines either...It's on my friends and i laptops...

All 3 of us have the same ZV6000 HP laptop...and they all have the same problem..

Like i said before...i would never buy or recommend ati mobo's or even vid cards to anyone.

imo it's all junk they put out on the market..And i don't care what fan boys say...in my experince with ati...it has been nothing but garbage :mad:

[RIP]Zeus said:

welcome to the world of buying a bad batch of computers happens ALL THE TIME in the bulk market. cheers :D

I had an ati Xpress system that would reboot if I tried to plug in a USB device. That was a fantastic machine that I replaced with a problem free nForce 430 board.

nvidia has seen growth in most every market recently. They may continue to see growth in the notebook market unless ati comes out with something to combat the 7800GO etc.. in the mobo chipset market I think the only chipset that interests me is the up and coming RD580 crossfire solution. ;)

I wouldn't doubt ATI overtaking or leading Nvidia in this market segment considering they have a larger graphics market segment as well. This makes sense due to the ATI integrated boards that are everywhere. I know I have seen ATI graphics on old micro atx boards for awhile. I never noticed integrated Nvidia until recently. I was hoping ATI and Nvidia would tweak maybe bump the performance of this market some with their solutions but alas they have not yet.

ATI at least in my eyes has had plenty of experience in the motherboard chipset space more than Nvidia at least IMO and should have had a better solution than Nvidia by now. I was really excited to see some crossfire boards but haven't really seen anything eye catching let's hope this changes next year.

Nvidia hopefully throws some creative or other integrated audio solution on their new upcoming chipsets :).

Back